Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

pixie203 wrote:

Hi Jillian! 

I loved the connection between Clara and Marcus, however I did have a problem with Jerome and Gloria's.  I felt that he was way too mean to her, and the way that it was written it was if it's ok to be treated this way.  There is a part in the book that she tells herself that he must love her b/c he's mean to her.  Are you sure that you want this type of behavior for a YA audience? Granted that it takes place in the 1920s and things were different back then, however I don't believe that the intended audience will grasp that. 

Thanks! 

Hi,

Hmm, I didn't intend Jerome to seem "mean" and I'm sorry you took it that way. Jerome's a passionate guy is all and isn't willing to stand for Gloria's rich-girl rebellious act, largely because he knows that she's better than that deep down.  I'm not sure which part of the book you're speaking of, but again, I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way. I was hoping Jerome and Marcus would come off as good guys since I don't think there are enough of those in YA literature.  The girl always seems to fall for the jerk :smileyhappy:

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

dclement04 wrote:

Jillian,

F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S JOB!! I am really impressed with this book and honestly have to say that I haven't gotten this excited over a book in a while. I finished the book about 2 weeks ago and have your book being passed around my office because I talked so highly of it and others wanted in on the excitement. I feel like I have the POWER because I have the book and no one else does LOL! Anyway, great job! Will there be any other programs that will be offered to review your other books before they come out??

A new huge fan,

Danielle :smileyvery-happy:

Thank you so much! It's a bit too early to say about my other books--my editor Wendy hasn't even seen the rough draft of INGÉNUE yet :smileyhappy: But I would certainly love to be involved in more programs like this. It's been a blast!

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

Bonnie_W wrote:

I LOVE the Dystopian genre myself and have read and enjoyed all of these. :-)  I just took a bunch of Dystopians out from the library TO read.  I'm going to start off with Nothing by Janne Teller, which sounds AMAZING (Plus, John Green is hoping it will win the next Printz!) and Truancy (and the prequel, Truancy: Origins) by Isamu Fukui (he was FIFTEEN when he wrote it!!).  I also took out, um, Unwind by Neal Shusterman, Skinned by Robin Wasserman, Witch & Wizard by James Patterson, and Gone and Hunger by Michael Grant.  I posted a tiny bit about why I chose each here on my book review blog the other day (along with mentioning your ARC...and I'll have a review up later, yay).

I'm also REALLY looking forward to Matched by Ally Condie, which comes out on the 30th.  It will be my present for getting through NaNo (if I get through it...).  I'm also really looking forward to Delirium by Lauren Oliver, which comes out in February.  She was also a First Look author (and the first one I did)!

I seriously LOVE this genre right now.  There are so many awesome books coming out next year, too.  I had to start a wish list to remember them all!

(Do you think you'll write a Dystopian at some point down the line?)

Thank you so much for those recommendations! I'm eager for more dystopian stuff to devour, so yay! I've heard Matched and Delirium are amazing. I really loved Divergent by Veronica Roth, which I was lucky enough to get copy of prior to publication. It'll publish in May 2011. The author's a young'un like me, which I think is cool :smileyhappy: My boyfriend also just finished Battle Royale by Koushun Takami and adored it, so I have to read that too.

I've actually written about a hundred pages of a dystopian side project. I haven't even shown it to my agents yet so I can't say much more than that. But it's been a nice way to take little breaks from working on THE FLAPPERS, since this other project has a very different setting and tone.

Author
Jillian-Larkin

Alnilan wrote:

First of all, thank you for the opportunity and for sharing with us your creative process when writing this book.

I feel the timeless challenges young people face growing up, specially young women's identity crisis can be devastating and potentially dangerous. All the female characters seem to teeter on that edge and I would like to know which of the female characters is closer to someone you have known.

Another question, did any Jazz musician inspire you to craft Jerome (in my opinion the most free character so far), if so who?

Hi there, thanks so much for the kind comments. As I've said in some previous answers, all the girls are based on myself in small ways. I did also have a close friend in high school who was one of the feistiest people I knew, but tended to let her relationships with boys define her too much (a problem I also struggled with). Both her fire and that underlying insecurity finds its way into a lot of my female characters. No character is directly based on anyone in my life though.

I would say Jelly Roll Morton definitely helped to inspire Jerome. Like Jerome, Jelly got an early start in his career and had a very disapproving family. After he got caught playing piano in a brothel when he was fourteen, his grandmother kicked him out of the house and told him that "devil music" would bring about his downfall :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

Bonnie_W wrote:

I LOVE the Dystopian genre myself and have read and enjoyed all of these. :-)  I just took a bunch of Dystopians out from the library TO read.  I'm going to start off with Nothing by Janne Teller, which sounds AMAZING (Plus, John Green is hoping it will win the next Printz!) and Truancy (and the prequel, Truancy: Origins) by Isamu Fukui (he was FIFTEEN when he wrote it!!).  I also took out, um, Unwind by Neal Shusterman, Skinned by Robin Wasserman, Witch & Wizard by James Patterson, and Gone and Hunger by Michael Grant.  I posted a tiny bit about why I chose each here on my book review blog the other day (along with mentioning your ARC...and I'll have a review up later, yay).

I'm also REALLY looking forward to Matched by Ally Condie, which comes out on the 30th.  It will be my present for getting through NaNo (if I get through it...).  I'm also really looking forward to Delirium by Lauren Oliver, which comes out in February.  She was also a First Look author (and the first one I did)!

I seriously LOVE this genre right now.  There are so many awesome books coming out next year, too.  I had to start a wish list to remember them all!

(Do you think you'll write a Dystopian at some point down the line?)

Thank you so much for those recommendations! I'm eager for more dystopian stuff to devour, so yay! I've heard Matched and Delirium are amazing. I really loved Divergent by Veronica Roth, which I was lucky enough to get copy of prior to publication. It'll publish in May 2011. The author's a young'un like me, which I think is cool :smileyhappy: My boyfriend also just finished Battle Royale by Koushun Takami and adored it, so I have to read that too.

I've actually written about a hundred pages of a dystopian side project. I haven't even shown it to my agents yet so I can't say much more than that. But it's been a nice way to take little breaks from working on THE FLAPPERS, since this other project has a very different setting and tone.

Thank you Bonnie for the reminder of Lauren Oliver's "Delirium "coming out in February..                         Jillian .That must be so fun to go outside of your "Vixen" world to Stretch yourself and write a Dystopian Novel.,I'm sure it must be wonderful.....Will be on the lookout for it.....My new genre these days are of the UF/Paranormal world.....I started with Nicole Peeler's "Tempest Rising" and "Tracking the Tempest" waiting for "Tempest's Legacy Release date Jan,1st..Also :The Fever Series: Karen Moning and "The October Daye Series"by Seanan McGuire..All intelligent and and Some darker then others,but addictive....The UF/Paranormal Board and Sci/Fi/Fantasy  are wonderful to see what they are discussing.''On to finish "Vixen"..Should be quite a discussion next week   Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
SSDailey
0 Kudos

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

SSDailey wrote:

Hey Jillian, my question deals somewhat with Vixen, but I was just wondering how you went about getting published after you finished writing your novel. Did you get an agent first and then start submitting? I've been working on editing some of my own novels for a while now and I've started really looking into submissions, etc. I even bought myself the 2011 Novel & Short Story Writer's Market. Do you have any advice for hopeful future authors?

Hi there! I'm unfortunately not the greatest person to ask about this since I got very, very lucky on my road to publication. My senior year at NYU I was interning at a children's literary agency and got up the guts to tell the agent I was working with about my idea for VIXEN. He was happy to look at what I had written and liked it. He and another agent at the agency gave me a lot of great advice then went out on submissions with the book. So I got to skip a lot of the horror stories of searching for an agent that I've heard from my writer friends.

If I can offer one bit of advice from my experience: do internships if you can at a literary agency or a publishing house. Learning more about the publishing industry is so important for a writer and internships are great ways to meet people who could give you some advice and critiques. I highly recommend attending writing workshops too. It's so helpful to hear critiques from other writers on your work, and to form your own opinions about the work of others. 

And most importantly, write every day. Sometimes I force myself to sit down and write whatever comes into my head, just to get my fingers flying over the keys. I personally like working on multiple projects at time. I'm a bit of a restless soul so having the freedom to put my main project aside and move onto something else (usually something very different in setting and tone) for a day or even just a few hours takes a lot of the stress off. Then when I move back to THE FLAPPERS, I can see it with a new sense of distance.

Thank you so much for the advice. Really I find anything to be helpful, and I will seriously consider looking into an internship at a literary agency or a publishing house. It may not happen in the near future but I'll at least look into it. Maybe then I can get lucky like you did.

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

SeaLue wrote:
Hello Jillian, Haven't finished Vixen yet, but I'm loving it so far. I have a silly question- which girl is depicted onthe cover? I'm guessing it's Gloria. Also, I agree that this is very much a YA book. These girls are definetely going through emotions that all girls go through. I think that's why books like these are important. It helps to know you're not the only one dealing with these issues.

Hi there, and thanks so much for the compliments. That's not a silly question at all! It was actually the most common question I received on my pre-publication tour a few weeks ago. I actually tackled this question on a separate board so I'm going to be lazy and copy and paste that exchange below :smileyhappy: :

Sarah-W wrote:

It's funny you should mention the cover. I thought it was reminiscent of Anna Godbersen's The Luxe (Luxe Series #1). I kept wondering which character it was supposed to be. If we judged by the hair-color it would be Lorraine. But I'm guessing the cover might supposed to be more evocative than it is a particular character or person. We'll have to ask Jillian about it when she joins the discussion next week.

Hi, Sarah.  Thanks so much for doing such a great job moderating the discussion.  And for the comparison of VIXEN's cover to the LUXE covers.  Those are some gorgeous, gorgeous covers. When I was recently on a pre-publication tour for VIXEN, I was surprised that the most common question I ran into was: Which character is it on the cover?

I, of course, can't take any credit for the beautiful cover. It was shown to me, I squealed at how amazing it was, and that was that. But you're exactly right, Sarah, when you say that the girl on the cover is "more evocative than it is a particular character or person." The young woman on the cover is whoever you want her to be. Your favorite character, perhaps, or a woman that embodies the listless-yet-wicked attitude so many of the women of that era were beginning to find within themselves.

Instead of sitting up straight like a proper lady, this woman is feeling the freedom to recline and look into the distance. Maybe she's looking towards a different future. A future that won't have to revolve around marrying well and teaching her daughter to be the demure young lady her own mother wishes she was.

Or maybe she's just bored.  Either way I think she's going to start searching for some excitement.

Hi Jillian,

I think the woman on the cover in Vixen is trying real hard and is now wondering what's next in store for her in Ingenue.  She has a different air about her, seems more grounded and confident in who she is.  I eagerly await her arrival!

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

Alnilan wrote:

First of all, thank you for the opportunity and for sharing with us your creative process when writing this book.

I feel the timeless challenges young people face growing up, specially young women's identity crisis can be devastating and potentially dangerous. All the female characters seem to teeter on that edge and I would like to know which of the female characters is closer to someone you have known.

Another question, did any Jazz musician inspire you to craft Jerome (in my opinion the most free character so far), if so who?

Hi there, thanks so much for the kind comments. As I've said in some previous answers, all the girls are based on myself in small ways. I did also have a close friend in high school who was one of the feistiest people I knew, but tended to let her relationships with boys define her too much (a problem I also struggled with). Both her fire and that underlying insecurity finds its way into a lot of my female characters. No character is directly based on anyone in my life though.

I would say Jelly Roll Morton definitely helped to inspire Jerome. Like Jerome, Jelly got an early start in his career and had a very disapproving family. After he got caught playing piano in a brothel when he was fourteen, his grandmother kicked him out of the house and told him that "devil music" would bring about his downfall :smileyhappy:

I absolutely love Jelly Roll Morton.  I can listen to his music non stop and never tire of it.  He is his music.

Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

Jillian,

Thanks so much for an amazing read. I have particpated in a dozen First Look books to date and this is the first one I finally gave up on the schedule. I just COULD NOT WAIT to finish and find out what happens!  Of course I am now anxiously awaiting the sequel and completely hooked on this series. :smileyhappy:

Thank you for letting us be some of the first to share your "baby" and your answers to our questions have been so insightful.

I look forward to more of your work and best wishes for continued success!!!!

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

You said:

I would say Jelly Roll Morton definitely helped to inspire Jerome. Like Jerome, Jelly got an early start in his career and had a very disapproving family. After he got caught playing piano in a brothel when he was fourteen, his grandmother kicked him out of the house and told him that "devil music" would bring about his downfall

I think that of all music JAZZ really has personal meaning for the singer who sang it back in the early part of 1900's.  It was a way to convey their mood and get across their hurt, pain and anguish about the situation of the times.  It was a form of delivery when one (mainly blacks) couldn't just hollar out their emotions and anger.  These folks really connected and lived their music.  I grew up listening to it and it evokes memories of hard times, fun times, close family ties, which were very different from today.

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Contributor
dalejr88SD
0 Kudos

Hi Jillian Larkin

I really enjoy your book. This is one of my first books I have read from you. My question is: Why did u choice to write this book about this time? This is my first time every reading a book about this time. I really enjoy it and cant wait to read more books by you.

Thanks

Sandra

Contributor
scientistsoltero

Dear Jillian,

I finished the book a few days ago and I must it was a wonderful read. When I first signed up for the bookclub my expectations were low because I thought the book was going to be mostly about love. I am so glad I was wrong!!! It was a truly non-stop read and in a sense, I also learned from that time, the 20s and about jazz.

How did you research for all those aspects?

I know the word "vixen" is mentioned at the end of the story about a specific character so I am wondering if the book was called Vixen because of her and if the cover of the book is also from that character. I am thinking since you mentioned there are going to be 3 books, perhaps the other 2 will be based on another main character (Gloria, Raine and Clara).

My favorite character is Clara. I thought she was going to be the villain but I truly loved her story and her relatinship with Marcus.

I can't wait for Ingenue!!!!!

Thanks for such a wonderful story!

Ingrid

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Jillian  Besides .agreeing with all that Ingrid has posted...And great questions..I was really taken aback with all the twists and turns.   i didn't see it coming..and thats a good thing...I know it sounds like a cliche,but you truly wrote an ageless book to be enjoyed by so many...It was tweeted on Friday night,and I did mention I was reading it,,,so its out there..Looking forward to "Ingenue" ..and more of the "Story"...Susan..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Thank you Jillian for your Agatha Christie recommendations..I am still trying to locate the "Edith Wharton " book you mentioned yesterday..I hope The Vixen Series Continues" Ingenue and Diva..are not enough for us.....Who knows Jillian,you can bring them to "Tuxedo Park"Upstate NY and even Paris.,such endless possibilities....I am sure you have plans for all the characters..I am reading 'Vixen" on schedule,sort of,intend to finish by Saturday...Hope to see you again next week if you can come back..Much Success...Susan..Vtc

I'm pretty sure Barnes & Noble actually sells Twilight Sleep so you could maybe order it from them if you're not having luck finding it in bookstores. Thanks for the kind words! I would love to stick with these girls through tons of books. Following them to Paris would be divine, you're right!

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

Atreyu59 wrote:

I too feel that I want to share the experience - which is what I would think you, Jillian, as a writer hope that readers do - share the experience & pass on good reads so others may buy and follow the writers books, as we seem to be all doing here.  Do you find most of the readers you run into are recommended by others or by bookstore visits & booksignings, publisher events?

dclement04 stated:

I feel like I have the POWER because I have the book and no one else does LOL! 

Yes, of course I want you to share the experience of reading VIXEN with others! I find when I really love a book, I can't stop talking about it to anyone who will listen since my mind is still so seeped in the story. So it would be touching and a huge compliment if you find yourselves telling friends and blog readers about the book. And of course any help in getting the word out about the book is greatly appreciated.

I haven't had a great deal of experience talking to VIXEN readers yet: you all are some of the first! The main readers I have been able to converse with so far have been students at the schools I visited on my pre-publication tour, and booksellers and educators I meet at events for VIXEN. It's been wonderful seeing people's reactions to VIXEN, since for the past several months my readership has just consisted of my agents, editor, mother, and boyfriend :smileyhappy:

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

pmsmrsmoose wrote:

Jillian,

First and fore-most I love this novel. I can truly tell that you put many hours of your life into the conception of this beautiful time piece. But I have a few questions.

`1. Did the locations in this novel actually ever exist and if so were they in Chicago?

2. Were the characters you listed, in the case of the gangsters of the time period, actually real? Did they actually reside in Chicago at the time?

Thanks for this wonderful novel and the picture you painted!

Nikki

Thank you so much! Yes, many of the locations in the novel are real places in Chicago and are still there today. The Green Mill is a bar in Chicago and the Drake Hotel (where Gloria has dinner with Bastian) is an extremely beautiful building that opened in the 1920s. The Art Institute where Clara attends an exhibit with Marcus is one of my favorite spaces in Chicago. Not every location is based on somewhere real, but I tried to throw as much of real 1920s Chicago into VIXEN as I could.

The gangsters in the book are all fictional. Carlito's father works closely with Al Capone, the very real mob boss of Chicago at that time. I researched a great deal about the mob back then and tried to incorporate what I learned about relations between gangsters and how speakeasies operated. But the main plot of the book is completely fictional, so it would be tough to give real gangsters anything but peripheral roles.

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Jillian,

During this piece of the process in getting a book on the shelf, today what is the part you like best? In your posts I see you are working on your next book. And I know you are here with us.

I am sure there is a lot to the process I know nothing about. Give us some hints please.

Luanne

Hmm, I'm not sure which part I like best. I love plotting it out in the beginning. A prospective project is so ripe with possibility, and at that point you don't have to deal with the stress of actually fleshing it all out and making sure everything makes sense. But I also love getting to know the characters as I write, and getting to the point where I can veto a line of dialogue because "Clara would never say that." And there's nothing quite like finishing each new draft, getting one step closer to being completely finished.

Each new step--seeing the cover, receiving VIXEN's hardcover jacket in the mail, watching the trailer for the first time--have all been amazing. The non-writing aspects of the publishing process like meeting booksellers and other lovers of YA books, and getting to actually talk with people who have read the book like yourselves have been so fun too. So far I've loved the whole process, which makes me think I might have picked the right career :smileyhappy:

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

mv5ocean wrote:

Jillian,

Thanks so much for an amazing read. I have particpated in a dozen First Look books to date and this is the first one I finally gave up on the schedule. I just COULD NOT WAIT to finish and find out what happens!  Of course I am now anxiously awaiting the sequel and completely hooked on this series. :smileyhappy:

Thank you for letting us be some of the first to share your "baby" and your answers to our questions have been so insightful.

I look forward to more of your work and best wishes for continued success!!!!

Thank you!! I'm so glad you've been able to take the time to read VIXEN and have been enjoying it! Ha, I think I would be terrible at keeping to the First Look schedule. If I like something, I usually zip through it in a day or two.
Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

dalejr88SD wrote:

Hi Jillian Larkin

I really enjoy your book. This is one of my first books I have read from you. My question is: Why did u choice to write this book about this time? This is my first time every reading a book about this time. I really enjoy it and cant wait to read more books by you.

Thanks

Sandra

This is actually my very first book, so it would make sense that you haven't read anything else of mine :smileyhappy: I've been very into the Jazz Age since I was a little girl forcing my family to watch Thoroughly Modern Millie on a daily basis. I love everything about the period: the literature, the clothes, the music. The mob and the way it took control of the country during that time is fascinating. Most importantly I love that women were really starting to realize that marriage to the richest man who would have them wasn't the only path in life.

I resisted writing about the 20s for a long time since the research seemed so daunting. But reading Zelda by Nancy Milford during my senior year at NYU and hearing about the new film adaptation of The Great Gatsby helped convince me to give it a try.

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

scientistsoltero wrote:

Dear Jillian,

I finished the book a few days ago and I must it was a wonderful read. When I first signed up for the bookclub my expectations were low because I thought the book was going to be mostly about love. I am so glad I was wrong!!! It was a truly non-stop read and in a sense, I also learned from that time, the 20s and about jazz.

How did you research for all those aspects?

I know the word "vixen" is mentioned at the end of the story about a specific character so I am wondering if the book was called Vixen because of her and if the cover of the book is also from that character. I am thinking since you mentioned there are going to be 3 books, perhaps the other 2 will be based on another main character (Gloria, Raine and Clara).

My favorite character is Clara. I thought she was going to be the villain but I truly loved her story and her relatinship with Marcus.

I can't wait for Ingenue!!!!!

Thanks for such a wonderful story!

Ingrid

Hi Ingrid,

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book! There was a lot of research involved. Luckily I already have a lot of music from that time period and listen to it while I'm writing. I go into a good amount of detail about my research process in and answer to TudorRose on the second page of this board.

I don't think any one character is the "vixen" of the story. Learning to come out of your shell, to break free of a situation you feel imprisoned by, is something each of the girls is trying to do in her own way. Perhaps Gloria is making the most obvious steps towards vixen-hood, but Lorraine desperately desires that fate as well and Clara knows more than the other two about the reality of the party-all-day-and-night lifestyle. As I said in a previous answer, I also don't think the girl on the cover is a specific character: she is more evocative of a listless and wicked attitude many women were exhibiting during that period.

I'm glad you loved Clara! I love her too.

Best,

Jillian