Reply
Moderator
Sarah-W
Posts: 526
Registered: ‎10-29-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

Thank you both! I've been very impressed by the level of enthusiasm and engagement from readers here on the board. It doesn't hurt that Jillian gave us such a juicy book to discuss!

Wordsmith
literature
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin


Jillian-Larkin wrote:

literature wrote:

 

I just found out that the restaurant (located in central NJ) my company holiday party is in was a speakeasy in the early 1920's.  The decor is definitely dated back to the early 1900's.  A heavy mahogany wooden bar as you enter and the floor is the tiny white hexagon shaped tiles with black grout that were found in the bathrooms of yesteryear.  They used to have the dark brown wooden chairs like those found surrounding card tables.  I will be going there to finalize the arrangements in the next few days so I will have a good look around the place. 


That sounds awesome! What's this place called? My boyfriend's from Jersey ... maybe I can convince him to drive me there :smileyhappy:

The Verve Restaurant, 18 East Main Street, Somerville NJ, www.vervestyle.com

 

I'm gonig to be there on Dec. 17 in the evening so should you be there then, our party is being held downstairs in the Red Room.  I'll also be there at lunch time tomorrow but I guess that's not enough notice for you.

 

Sheila

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin


Sarah-W wrote:

Thank you both! I've been very impressed by the level of enthusiasm and engagement from readers here on the board. It doesn't hurt that Jillian gave us such a juicy book to discuss!


www.bookalicious-ramblings.net

   I found this Blog and Guess what they are Blogging about "Vixen" Just thought Jillian and all would like to have a look...Very positive and some are waiting to buy it,,,Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Author
Jillian-Larkin
Posts: 96
Registered: ‎10-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

 


literature wrote:

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

literature wrote:

 

I just found out that the restaurant (located in central NJ) my company holiday party is in was a speakeasy in the early 1920's.  The decor is definitely dated back to the early 1900's.  A heavy mahogany wooden bar as you enter and the floor is the tiny white hexagon shaped tiles with black grout that were found in the bathrooms of yesteryear.  They used to have the dark brown wooden chairs like those found surrounding card tables.  I will be going there to finalize the arrangements in the next few days so I will have a good look around the place. 


That sounds awesome! What's this place called? My boyfriend's from Jersey ... maybe I can convince him to drive me there :smileyhappy:

The Verve Restaurant, 18 East Main Street, Somerville NJ, www.vervestyle.com

 

I'm gonig to be there on Dec. 17 in the evening so should you be there then, our party is being held downstairs in the Red Room.  I'll also be there at lunch time tomorrow but I guess that's not enough notice for you.

 

Sheila


 

Hi Sheila,

 

My boyfriend sadly informs me that Sommerville is quite far from his hometown. Being city-folk, we're both pathetically scared of driving for longer than twenty minutes :smileyhappy: But if I happen to be around that area sometime I will definitely check it out. I hope your party is great!

 

Best,

Jillian

Author
Jillian-Larkin
Posts: 96
Registered: ‎10-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

 


Vermontcozy wrote:


Sarah-W wrote:

Thank you both! I've been very impressed by the level of enthusiasm and engagement from readers here on the board. It doesn't hurt that Jillian gave us such a juicy book to discuss!


www.bookalicious-ramblings.net

   I found this Blog and Guess what they are Blogging about "Vixen" Just thought Jillian and all would like to have a look...Very positive and some are waiting to buy it,,,Susan


Aw, thanks for posting that! It's been so fun and very surreal watching the internet get excited about VIXEN before it's even hit the shelves. I can only hope future readers will be as invested and insightful as you guys have been!

 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

Good Morning,Jillian... We are a pretty aggressive group here especially since we are all so taken with "Vixen".Lots of bloggers,,just word of mouth...We won't abandon you Jillian not to worry. Our 1st. TeenFirstlook Author Becca Fitzpatrick"Hush,Hush,and :Crescendo" actually had so many of us reading and loving her first book,it carried over to much success for her.Not that we were the only readers who loved it..When Crescendo was about to be released,Paul had a 'TeenSneakPeek" for "Crescendo".It was great to have Becca back with us..Hush,Hush  was the first time for me reading a YA novel in years..My daughter and I had read so many together,,.We are Loyal..for sure..Holiday presents of Books are my thing..from age 14 to 70 "Vixen" is a great start to a wonderful series....I always wish TNYTimes would have another list"YA/Adult...The LA Times just announced they are doing that..Do you think its a good idea? Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
Posts: 311
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

I'm hooked on Boardwalk Empire too!

Inspired Contributor
shmy
Posts: 71
Registered: ‎05-10-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

[ Edited ]

I just saw the cover of Ingenue on Goodreads and I wanted to gush about how lovely it is!!!

 

I added it to my To-Read pile immediately :smileywink:

Wordsmith
literature
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin


Jillian-Larkin wrote:

 


literature wrote:

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

literature wrote:

 

I just found out that the restaurant (located in central NJ) my company holiday party is in was a speakeasy in the early 1920's.  The decor is definitely dated back to the early 1900's.  A heavy mahogany wooden bar as you enter and the floor is the tiny white hexagon shaped tiles with black grout that were found in the bathrooms of yesteryear.  They used to have the dark brown wooden chairs like those found surrounding card tables.  I will be going there to finalize the arrangements in the next few days so I will have a good look around the place. 


That sounds awesome! What's this place called? My boyfriend's from Jersey ... maybe I can convince him to drive me there :smileyhappy:

The Verve Restaurant, 18 East Main Street, Somerville NJ, www.vervestyle.com

 

I'm gonig to be there on Dec. 17 in the evening so should you be there then, our party is being held downstairs in the Red Room.  I'll also be there at lunch time tomorrow but I guess that's not enough notice for you.

 

Sheila


 

Hi Sheila,

 

My boyfriend sadly informs me that Sommerville is quite far from his hometown. Being city-folk, we're both pathetically scared of driving for longer than twenty minutes :smileyhappy: But if I happen to be around that area sometime I will definitely check it out. I hope your party is great!

 

Best,

Jillian


Okay, Jillian, or should I say country bumkin, to tempt you even more about visiting The Verve.  The room that we're having our party in was the "speakeasy" during prohibition and it was completely underground.   The large mahogany bar that is by the entrance to the restaurant now was the original bar in the speakeasy.  The current proprietor didn't know how it was entered into but now there is a staircase leading down to it in the middle of the restaurant.  I'm curious to find out more details.  It's ironic, but the county courthouse is now located directly across the street from the then speakeasy.

Sheila

 

 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin


shmy wrote:

I just saw the cover of Ingenue on Goodreads and I wanted to gush about how lovely it is!!!

 

I added it to my To-Read pile immediately :smileywink:


Thanks for the link.Its really Beautiful..I did the same TBR..Must check BN..Must have ;;;Susan:

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Correspondent
Atreyu59
Posts: 303
Registered: ‎08-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

Thanks for passing on this information. . . . . this way I can post on my 'release date' get book list

otherwise I will forget to check it out.

love all the good post by everyone

 


 

shmy said . . . . 

                                 I just saw the cover of Ingenue on Goodreads and I wanted to gush about how lovely it is

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Author
Jillian-Larkin
Posts: 96
Registered: ‎10-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin


Vermontcozy wrote:

Good Morning,Jillian... We are a pretty aggressive group here especially since we are all so taken with "Vixen".Lots of bloggers,,just word of mouth...We won't abandon you Jillian not to worry. Our 1st. TeenFirstlook Author Becca Fitzpatrick"Hush,Hush,and :Crescendo" actually had so many of us reading and loving her first book,it carried over to much success for her.Not that we were the only readers who loved it..When Crescendo was about to be released,Paul had a 'TeenSneakPeek" for "Crescendo".It was great to have Becca back with us..Hush,Hush  was the first time for me reading a YA novel in years..My daughter and I had read so many together,,.We are Loyal..for sure..Holiday presents of Books are my thing..from age 14 to 70 "Vixen" is a great start to a wonderful series....I always wish TNYTimes would have another list"YA/Adult...The LA Times just announced they are doing that..Do you think its a good idea? Susan


 

Hi Susan! Thanks so much! I give books as presents all the time, since it's what I most like to receive. NYT should absolutely do YA reviews--I agree completely. Pamela Paul did do a fantastic article about YA books though a few months ago, entitled "The Kids' Books Are All Right." I highly recommend it, here's a link:

 

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/books/review/Paul-t.html

 

-Jillian

Author
Jillian-Larkin
Posts: 96
Registered: ‎10-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin


shmy wrote:

I just saw the cover of Ingenue on Goodreads and I wanted to gush about how lovely it is!!!

 

I added it to my To-Read pile immediately :smileywink:


Yay! I am so, so in love with the INGENUE cover as well. I would've been sad if a girl wasn't wearing a cloche hat on one of these covers :smileyhappy: Can you believe it's the same model as on the cover of VIXEN?
Frequent Contributor
librarysusie
Posts: 45
Registered: ‎07-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

If Jillian's editor is still around I'd like to mention a couple mistakes  in the ARC copy that hopefully can be fixed before the actual book comes out.

From Chapter 12 Lorraine

 

Page 169- 3rd paragraph second sentence should be Lorraine not Clara.

 

Page 171- 2nd Paragraph first sentence should be Lorraine not Gloria.

 

I hope Ingenue comes out soon I will be chomping at the bit till it comes out!My review is up!

Reader
CRDWLLG
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎08-12-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

This session with Jillian Larkin was insightful. I normally don't like books about the past, because they can be more historical than interesting, but this book was great!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,276
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

Good Morning Jillian Thank you for the Link..Have not had time to read the article,but NYT onlne Book Review does have a slightly new layout..There is always hope lol...Been some Buzz on a few sites  about "Vixen" so still Have Good Promo time left and Reviews.. My Broolyn Life was also a Good one..Had many family members from Park Slope..and so many Memories  Still Have Family in "Breezy Point",,,,Will be around before you go..We still have a Whole week to spend with you..Its been great for us.and hope for you as well.... My first Edith Wharton book was 'Ethan Frome"..Imagine..But re read it a few times  and still love the book.  Best Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
hookedonbooks09
Posts: 128
Registered: ‎02-04-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

Hi Jillian,

 

While enjoying your book so much, I did have a question!  When Jerome and Gloria went down the dark and (in my mind, fragile steps) to the basement, I was kind of amazed to hear that a piano had somehow been placed in one of the rooms! 

 

It may just be my visual of the stairs, but I pictured the usual tiny, secluded steps of a speakeasy.

 

Just saying...!

 

Barb

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Inspired Contributor
shmy
Posts: 71
Registered: ‎05-10-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

[ Edited ]

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

shmy wrote:

I just saw the cover of Ingenue on Goodreads and I wanted to gush about how lovely it is!!!

 

I added it to my To-Read pile immediately :smileywink:


Yay! I am so, so in love with the INGENUE cover as well. I would've been sad if a girl wasn't wearing a cloche hat on one of these covers :smileyhappy: Can you believe it's the same model as on the cover of VIXEN?

 

Oh wow, no I thought she was a different girl, the look is more grown up, I think.

 

Just finished The Great Gatsby yesteday, I was bawling. It just made me so sad.

Author
Jillian-Larkin
Posts: 96
Registered: ‎10-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

 


librarysusie wrote:

If Jillian's editor is still around I'd like to mention a couple mistakes  in the ARC copy that hopefully can be fixed before the actual book comes out.

From Chapter 12 Lorraine

 

Page 169- 3rd paragraph second sentence should be Lorraine not Clara.

 

Page 171- 2nd Paragraph first sentence should be Lorraine not Gloria.

 

I hope Ingenue comes out soon I will be chomping at the bit till it comes out!My review is up!


 

Wendy's not on the board anymore, sadly. But she did provide a good answer to this question on her board, which I'll repost here:

 

Hi--the arcs are made from 1st pass--it's the copyedited manuscript typset for the first time. So there are definitely typos as well as fixes that usually need to be made (hopefully not terrible ones). The book is printed and on my shelf now, though, so hopefully we caught everything!

Author
Jillian-Larkin
Posts: 96
Registered: ‎10-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Vixen's author Jillian Larkin

 


CRDWLLG wrote:

This session with Jillian Larkin was insightful. I normally don't like books about the past, because they can be more historical than interesting, but this book was great!


Aw, thank you! I definitely agree about historical fiction. Whenever I feel like I might be rambling on too much about the time period rather than the story, I remind myself: This is a book, not a history lesson :smileyhappy: Not that I wouldn't be pleased if it could be both, but the plot and characters always have to come first for me.