Sarah-W

Vixen Discussion: Part I: Speak Easy through page 144

Hello All, 

How are you enjoying Vixen so far?

To start things off, I thought I would comment that I noticed two things in this first section of Vixen and I'm very interested in hearing what you might think about them:

1. Each of the characters seems to be trying to change their lives by manipulating their image. Gloria is a good girl interested in exploring the flapper lifestyle. Lorraine is her best friend who is jealous of Gloria and thinks she can get attention through a bad girl reputation and appearance. Then we have Clara who has a past living the high life as a flapper in New York City, but decides to adopt of the persona of 'Country Clara' when she comes to Chicago to help with Gloria's wedding. Why do you think each of these character is so interested in changing their looks? Do you think they are successful? Does changing their looks change their lives?

2. The other thing that really struck me about this first section of Vixen is Gloria's first meeting with Jerome, a black piano player at the Green Mill speakeasy."'You're here because you think it makes you free,'" he tells her. "'Unlike the rest of your little schoolgirl friends, sneaking out without Daddy's permission. Listening to the black man play his music and dirty your lily white hands... But you ain't free, kid. You wouldn't know how to be free if your life depended on it.'" I'm very interested in hearing about what you think regarding 'freedom' in this novel. Does sneaking off to a speakeasy, drinking illegal substances, or cutting one's hair make someone free? What constitutes freedom to you, and do any of the characters we've met so far have it?

What are your thoughts about the first section of Vixen? What are your predictions (no spoilers, please!) about what might happen next?

Contributor
myroadsoflife

Re: Vixen Discussion: Part I: Speak Easy through page 144

To answer your first question I think that all of the characters seem to be restless in their lives and they all seem to realize that they need to change something, they just don't quite seem to know how to do it.  They each come up with different ways of changing themselves and I can relate more to some of the characters and I don't seem to like Lorraine very much, but there is some truth in how she schemes and how selfish she seems to be.  I don't think changing your look changes your life - I think fundamentally you are the same person no matter what you look like.  For example, Lorraine isn't going to become any more selfless by getting to be the one in the spotlight.

To answer your second question, I think freedom comes from living a happy life. I think the characters realize this and that's why they want to change their looks and their lives.  I don't think any of the characters have is so far, but, hopefully they will find it!

dhaupt

Hi Sarah, great questions

Hmm and thought provoking too.

I love this novel, it is so well written and I love the narrative the author uses, she really gets her point across.

To answer the first question first we have to remember the era that this novel talks about, it was a very changeable time with prohibition the mob and I think it's a lot like the 60's of my generation where people were trying to reinvent themselves.

Second we're talking about young adults at a very important precipice of their lives about to graduate high school and either go off to college or in Gloria's case get married. I think all young adults of this age are trying out their wings to see how far from the nest they can go and I don't think they're any different from the youth of today. So I call it more coming of age than anything else.

The second question

sneaking off to the speakeasy, drinking illegally and cutting hair is VERY much so freedom for Gloria anyway. She is obviously very unhappy with her life, the direction she sees it going. Wondering what kind of marriage she'll have, not seeing passion is Bastien etc. It may not be safe freedom, but it's freedom none the less. It's no different than when our young people try drugs, have sex at a too young age or drink before it's legal. 

At this point I don't see anyone having freedom in the novel, the characters are all in their boxes but they're trying to get out.

My thoughts on the first section of Vixen was that it took everything in me to stop reading. I really wanted to find out where it was going.

My predictions are dark, I just have an uneasy feeling about the kind of trouble these characters are getting into especially Gloria involving herself with the gangsters of Chicago.

Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom
0 Kudos

I am loving this book and especially the beginning  - the speakeasy section - Gloria the good girl in a loveless engagement with "Bastian", her friend Lorraine "raine", and now Clara the cousin brought in to help with the wedding of Gloria.  I think Gloria and Lorraine are just bored with life as it is and have a real curiosity of the flapper lifestyle which they come to really love and Gloria is fascinated with Jerome the black piano player at the Green Mill speakeasy.  Out of protest she "bobs" her hair to look the part which everyone in the family including "Bastian" don't like but it doesn't matter to her as long as she looks like all the others at the Green mill!

Lorraine is really interested in Marcus who is just a friend that got them into the Green Mill speakeasy the first time  And Clara who has a past and already knows about the flapper lifestyle but has to pretend to be a nice "country Clara" lest she gets sent to reform school.

I don't think that cutting their hair makes them feel free, I think they just want to fit in and look like all the other flappers!

I can't predict what I feel will happen because I've already read farther and do not want to put any spoilers in here. I haven;t finished it yet but it is keeping me interested!

"Open a book and the world is yours"
Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

1. Each of the characters seems to be trying to change their lives by manipulating their image. Gloria is a good girl interested in exploring the flapper lifestyle. Lorraine is her best friend who is jealous of Gloria and thinks she can get attention through a bad girl reputation and appearance. Then we have Clara who has a past living the high life as a flapper in New York City, but decides to adopt of the persona of 'Country Clara' when she comes to Chicago to help with Gloria's wedding. Why do you think each of these character is so interested in changing their looks? Do you think they are successful? Does changing their looks change their lives?

I think all of these characters don't like the restrictions or roles that have been made to play and want to change them in some way. Gloria is feeling the family pressure of marriage and Lorraine is spiteful and jealous of always living in gloria's shadow. I am curious what or who Clara is running from.

Scribe
DSaff

Good questions, Sarah.  :smileywink:  I am enjoying "Vixen" very much, and trying to stick to the schedule. The characters seem well formed and alive to me, and the story drew me in.

Gloria, Lorraine, and Clara do work to present themselves as something they are not. Each of them has a goal and reason for changing. Gloria is engaged before she has had a chance to live. She isn't even out of high school yet, and while that may have happened a lot, it leaves me feeling that she has so much more to experience. Gloria knows. Gloria wants to experience "real" life and keep her parents happy by doing what is expected. Jerome throws a huge kink into her plans and all she wants is more of him and the way he makes her feel. Her "bob" was done, I think, for two reasons. One, to shock everyone, and two, to assert her independence. I can't wait to see what she does next! Lorraine fits the "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" idea to me. She longs for the perfect world she thinks is Gloria's, but can't see the truth. In love with Marcus, she works to capture his attention. But, her stunts only push him away. I feel for her and hope she really finds out what truth and happiness are all about. Then we have Clara. She is trying so hard to fit the picture her aunt wants so that she doesn't get sent to reform school. But she remains a free-spirit, and I can't wait to see what she does. I am concerned about the notes she is receiving and worry that something bad is about to happen. The three girls are interesting characters and bring a lot of life to this novel.

Freedom is the ability to be yourself no matter what the obstacle. Bobbing your hair, drinking alcohol, smoking, acting differently for others, etc., do not make you free. They are simply ways of following the crowd. I think that all three of these young women are yearning for the freedom to be themselves and to be accepted as such. But, they are all going about it the wrong way, at least so far. We will see what happens as the story progresses.

My predictions (I have only read the first section):

1. Gloria will not marry Sebastian. I think something is going to happen with Jerome.

2. Lorraine is going to find out about Jerome and spill the beans, devastating her relationship with Gloria.

3. Clara will be confronted by her scandalous past and danger will be near. I think she will come through it a changed person.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
Lavasoap
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So far I am loving Vixen!  It really pulled me in and was hard not to continue past the discussion pause :smileyhappy:

I think the characters are interested in changing their appearance for the same reasons most coming-of-age kids are: they want a visual cue for the changes they are going through.  You're becoming an adult, growing up, etc and you want to see it not just feel it.  I think the point is more their lives are changing, so they choose to change their looks not the other way around.  Some of the changes they are experiencing they can't control, but how they look is in their hands. 

Of course the speakeasy isn't making Gloria free, rather it has cost her a lot of freedoms she had.  She's now grounded and can't do any of the 'normal' interactions she was participating in.  Maybe that was an unspoken desire of her heart though.  Somewhere inside she possibly knew the fallout from her foray would grant her a reprieve from the doldrums of her everyday life.  Marcus appears to have freedom, but I definitely think everything is not as it appears with him and find his character's development most alluring. 

I think this section has definitely vested my interest in the characters.  I want to know more about Clara's sordid past and can't wait to find out if Gloria will follow her mother's pattern in marrying for status and will Lorraine continue to make a fool of herself over Marcus?!

I look forward to seeing what everyone else has to say on these topics and more!  I am definitely glad I decided to try the First Look experience!

Contributor
cosbie

1. They are changing their looks because they are all going through a life change, at the same time the culture around them is changing.  Gloria seems to show her unhappiness with how boring her lifestyle is by changing as many things about her she can ... Whether her family/friends like it or not.  Lorraine is obviously tired of being second to Gloria, even though growing up their lives seem to be parallel with one another.  Raine seems to be changing the most.  She went from being a supportive, loving friend, to a semi evil and resentful "friend."  Although Gloria is going from good girl to bad girl, Raine is changing her stance as a friend...she is letting her frustration from constantly coming in second place take over her

Friendship. 

Gloria seems to be having the most trouble with changing her looks, if effects her life more then the other characters.  She receives a lot of judgment from her Mother and Fiance, also from those at the speak easy.  Jeremy seems to see who she really is underneath her new look.

2.  To me, it's obvious, the character with the most freedom seems to be Marcus and Bastion..The Men!  The way Mr... Marcus just showed up at the Deb party reflects that he doesn't have anyone/thing holding him back from doing what he wants.  We have yet to meet his parents, unless I missed something.  And there is just this sense that he gets to do what he wants, when he wants, where he wants. 

The girls seem to be seeking some kind of personal freedom.  Gloria searches for a way out of her Rich and Reformed lifestyle, Raine is looking for a seperation from Gloria, and Clara I honestly haven't figured out yet.  Clara seems to know what she wants, and I think out of the three girls has the most freedom, but I haven't figured out why she is "back-tracking."

Predictions:

Gloria will not end up with her fiance, and her family will disown her.  Raine, in the end will come to her senses, apologize for betraying her friend and end up with Marcus...who also will come to his senses and realize that Raine is the right one for him! Clara will have everyone fooled until the very end, when she turns up to be a very popular flapper and singer in New York.

I am really enjoying the read, I have gotten through a little more then half the book and really am looking forward to the ending! So far this book has an A from me!

"I carry your heart with me, I carry it in my heart."
-E.E. Cummins
Contributor
brilliantsunshine
0 Kudos

I am enjoying the book, but I can't honestly say that I haven't been able to put it down.  Hopefully that will happen as I continue to read.

As far as the first question, I agree with the assessment that these are teenage girls in a tumultous point in their lives.  Almost all people that age look to find themselves and often do stupid things to do that.  I don't really like Lorraine's character either, but I have seen people react the same way she does, so I think she's a true to life character.

I think that at this point Clara is the only one heading towards freedom.  The enticing world of the speakeasies looks fun, but these girls are young and don't understand the consequences of their actions.  Even Gloria admits that after her audition she finally realized what her situation was: trapped in a dark basement with a lot of men with bad reputations who can do with her as they please.  I don't think that Clara will stay on her path to freedom, what with the notes she's been receiving, and it sounds like she has a past that won't let her find freedom until she pays for whatever she's done.

On a side note, I've read quite a bit of YA, and I feel like this book, so far, focuses and goes too explicitly into the sexual component of the book.  It's not horribly offensive or anything, I just feel that if this book is going to be billed as YA, maybe is should be toned down a little bit.  It doesn't seem to be making much of a point, it just seems gratuitous.  I think her point could be made without so much insinuation and actual talk about it.

Frequent Contributor
reader76
0 Kudos

I am enjoying Vixen so far.  All the main characters do try to change their image to befit to their current lifestyle.  Clara is like an actress because she has already seen the lifestyle side of a flapper but did not work out so well at the end.  She is a successful chamelion who is legitimately change her life so she doesn't have to go to Juvi.  Gloria, I think at first thought a change of her image would also come with flapper lifestyle and was a bit timid and scared.  I don't think she is changing but transforming to a real character of who she wants to be.  Raine is just a annyoying attention seeker who does it for thrill and her character shows that she is flaky as her see through dresses. 

I think "freedom" constitutes not about drinking, cutting hair, or speakeasy.  I think it is more about becoming the person you want to be without having constraints or restrictions of society.  Not giving the thought about norms, manner, and etiquette.  Person who is free is not afraid to stand up for themselves and what they believe in.  The only character who seems to be "free" is Marcus. 

Correspondent
southrnbella
0 Kudos

This has been such a great book and I've only read the first section...I enjoy that it is from all the girls point of views and that prologue still is throwing me for a loop! I feel like I know who it is but with the way the book is going I definitely see like a 180 happening.

1. First off with Clara I think this change of image is almost helping her. Becoming "country Clara" is giving her time to really find out who she is and what she wants out of life, but it seems that her past does not want to leave her in peace. Clara with this new image does not automatically react in situations and it seems to be helping her think things through. It is also helping her stick around longer and not be sent on the next train to reform school.

Gloria, I think just needs someone to give her some fulfillment in life and she's going to any length to get it. She is only seventeen and now engaged to be married and not even out of high school. It seems like life is rushing her by and she just wants to savor the moments good or bad..And just have a good time.But it looks like she's only got herself into a heap of trouble. I don't really think her image changes are so bad, you can definitely tell its out of rebellion and to stir some feathers.

Lorraine, haha she is just one hot mess!! I think ultimately Clara and her have almost switched places with the looks factor. She has some major jealously issues and has always been in love with Marcus, but the lime light has always been on Gloria. I think her changes come because she thinks looking like the flapper girl makes her more open and available in her eyes. I honestly think she is just making a fool of herself and its changing her for the worse and I hope she doesn't become out of control.

2.Well when your sneaking off, you are having to hide so that is not being free. I think the girls are trapped in a way. In lives they don't want, and they can never be truly "free" until they are doing what they want. But its the 1920s and I don't think women had it as easy as we do now to be able to do what they want. And that's why they are stuck in their situations.

My predictions are that clara's past is going to catch up with her (maybe the mysterious guy she talks about)

Green Mill is going to find out about Glorias identity and maybe something with the mob ( I hope she doesn't stay with Sebastian)

Peace n Page Turners
http://live2lovebooks.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
avalonpriestess

[ Edited ]

Great questions Sarah,

So far I am enjoying VIXEN. 

I think the characters are growing. Gloria is obviously unhappy with her future. Raine appears to be so jealous of Gloria, I see this jealousy interfering with their friendship later.  Clara is an interesting character.  I can't wait to find out the whole truth about her past.  I'm not certain that changing their looks will help with their overall change.  Gloria was happy with her 'bob' and I think she was secretly happy that it upset her fiance.  She sees Bastian as a 'cold fish'- a man without passion. 

2. The other thing that really struck me about this first section of Vixenis Gloria's first meeting with Jerome, a black piano player at the Green Mill speakeasy."'You're here because you think it makes you free,'" he tells her. "'Unlike the rest of your little schoolgirl friends, sneaking out without Daddy's permission. Listening to the black man play his music and dirty your lily white hands... But you ain't free, kid. You wouldn't know how to be free if your life depended on it.'" I'm very interested in hearing about what you think regarding 'freedom' in this novel. Does sneaking off to a speakeasy, drinking illegal substances, or cutting one's hair make someone free? What constitutes freedom to you, and do any of the characters we've met so far have it?

I'm not certain these activities make the girls 'free'.  I think it gives them a false sense of freedom.  Gloria certainly enjoys going to the club, she enjoys the rebellion over the future her family has chosen for her.  I don't think any of the characters have true freedom at this point.  Gloria feels trapped with her future, Clara is stuck with her questionable past, Raine can't get past her jealousy of Gloria, Marcus I'm not certain about- So far he strikes me as just a shallow creature living for the moment.  Bastien is stuck with his future, marrying a rich girl he obviously doesn't love.

What are your thoughts about the first section of Vixen? What are your predictions (no spoilers, please!) about what might happen next? 

I haven't read the entire book yet,  Clara has struck me as the most interesting character so far.  I look forward to finding out about her past and her true character.    I see Gloria totally rebelling against her future.  

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book :smileyhappy:

Donna

Correspondent
southrnbella
0 Kudos

cosbie wrote:

2.  To me, it's obvious, the character with the most freedom seems to be Marcus and Bastion..The Men!  The way Mr... Marcus just showed up at the Deb party reflects that he doesn't have anyone/thing holding him back from doing what he wants.  We have yet to meet his parents, unless I missed something.  And there is just this sense that he gets to do what he wants, when he wants, where he wants. 

I completely agree!! Its like the men could do whatever they want. If they had "cut their hair in bobs" it seems as if people would look the other way and it wouldn't matter. Also at the Green Mill you see the men flock there but the women that are there are the typical flappers and if you aren't its like you are automatically judged, like the comment Leif had said to Gloria.

Also I think if you have money in those days, you could kind of get away with some things. Be "free" as the question state. You definitely see the mob running the Green Mill and even though there is a Prohibition they serve liquor.

Peace n Page Turners
http://live2lovebooks.blogspot.com/
Contributor
myroadsoflife
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I agree also!  It seems that the turmoil belongs to the women.  The men don't seem to have any qualms about their place in the world.  Though, I think that might speak to the time that the book was written in.

southrnbella wrote:

cosbie wrote:

I completely agree!! Its like the men could do whatever they want. If they had "cut their hair in bobs" it seems as if people would look the other way and it wouldn't matter. Also at the Green Mill you see the men flock there but the women that are there are the typical flappers and if you aren't its like you are automatically judged, like the comment Leif had said to Gloria.

Also I think if you have money in those days, you could kind of get away with some things. Be "free" as the question state. You definitely see the mob running the Green Mill and even though there is a Prohibition they serve liquor.

Reader 2
Mande_G

Vixen is the kind of book I could just eat up in an afternoon!  It is definitely a bit challenging to pace myself and not get ahead of the discussion.

As far as image goes, I think Lavasoap really hit the nail on the head:

Lavasoap wrote:

I think the characters are interested in changing their appearance for the same reasons most coming-of-age kids are: they want a visual cue for the changes they are going through.  You're becoming an adult, growing up, etc and you want to see it not just feel it.  I think the point is more their lives are changing, so they choose to change their looks not the other way around.  Some of the changes they are experiencing they can't control, but how they look is in their hands. 

The girls -- Gloria and Raine, specifically, not so much Clara -- are trying to imitate the glamour and sophistication they see in the flapper image.  Neither quite knows how to pull it off successfully.  Gloria is, as Jerome calls her, green.  Raine... is outrageous.  She thinks she's being modern, edgy, trendsetting -- she can't see how rediculous she really is.  With Glo, I want her to suceed.  I want to see her find what she's looking for.  Raine, I really feel bad for her, because she is so very clueless about herself, and about what true sophistication is.

Clara, is somewhat juxtiposed -- she's BEEN the glamourous and sophisticated flapper, she WAS the trendsetter, she LIVED the lifestyle, and now she has to fit a new mold, the one imposed upon her by Mrs. Carmody.  Clara almost seems relieved to be able to try on a new image, even though she misses her old life and old friends.  The troubles from her past seem overwhelming enough that she wants to reinvent herself -- and maybe not just outwardly, but to reinvent herself for real.

The freedom that Gloria seeks is really the ability to chose for herself, not to be restricted to playing the role of dutiful daughter fulfilling her mother's expectations.  I like the way Glo's engagement ring symbolzes her feelings of being caught, trapped, restricted -- and at night, when she slips away from home to visit the speakeasy, she slips off the ring as well, symbolzing her desire to cast off the person she is expected to be and become something new.  When Glo bobs her hair, it is the first outward show of -- not defiance or rebellion for rebellion's sake, as perhaps Raine might -- but of taking control of her own life, of not allowing herself to be tied down to anyone elses idea of who Gloria Carmody is.  Flirting with Jerome and taking the job as a singer at the Green Mill are two very bold ways for Glo to take some control over her life.

Raine seems to really want just one thing: attention.  Unfortunately, for her, Raine is still too young and inexperienced to understand that not all attention is good attention.  She possesses, perhaps, too much freedom, and could benefit greatly from a little restraint.  Raine certainly makes her own choices; however, she makes them badly.  She is too eager to play the bad girl, too ready to be the rebel, because she thinks it makes her important.  In reality, she comes off as cheap and a little obnoxious. 

Clara seeks freedom from her past.  She is ready -- eager, even -- to become someone new, someone a little more mature than she used to be.  Clara is a good example of someone who is finding freedom through restraint; she is becoming the person that Raine should -- but could never -- become.  Clara also seeks freedom from the mysterious note-writer, who seems to be someone dangerous from her life in New York.

I am eagerly looking forward to how these themes are going to play out through the rest of the book: how will each girl deal with the conflict between who they are, and who they want to become?  Will the quest for freedom be successful -- and what costs will that success require?

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Gloria has it made with money, high society, engagement to a wonderful man. But she wants to try to live the part of a flapper and a singer at a speakeasy. The speakeasy has gangsters and a black man that Gloria is intrigued with. She gets her chance to be a singer when the singer at the speakeasy walks out. she is given the opportunity to sing at the club and ahe goes for it. She disregards the debutante dinner put on by her mother and knows she will be in trouble. She is at a fork in the road as to what she really wants to do and what she must do for her mother.

Clara is an interesting character. She has some deep dark secrets that she brings with her to plan Gloria's wedding. She plays the country hick character who has never been in a speakeasy and wears dowdy clothes. She intrigues me as she downplays herself as if she is trying to hide from something or someone.

Lorraine is someone who wants to be like Gloria and live that rich life. She goes to the speakeasy, drinks and gets her hair cut in the style of what the flappers are wearing. I really think she is imitating Gloria to be like her.

I think Gloria's change in hairstyle is important to her. Her fiance nor her parents like her haircut, but it doesn't seem to matter to her. I think in the future, she will sing at the speakeasy. But will she get mixed up with the gansters?

For Clara, if she is running from something that happened in New York, she will continue as a country bumpkin.

Lorraine will probably stay the same. She seems to be the stable of the three.

Sneaking off to a speakeasy, getting your hair cut is probably a thrill for Gloria. It's being dangerous and different. Something that is quite different from High society life. I don't think one is free unless they change to that lifestyle.

Freedom for me would constitute living in the mountains and changing my lifestyle to accomodate that lifestyle. It's rural and secluded and having a farm where I could take care of animals. That's freedom to me, not being tied down to the technical world.

I'm enjoying the book so far. I haven't read past this week's assignment, so I have no predictions. But the prologue bothered me a bit and the notes that Gloria is getting puts a bit of mystery into the book.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
amomthatlovestoread
0 Kudos

To answer your first question I think that all of the characters  realize that they need to change but they are not sure what or how to do it.     

To answer your second question, I think freedom comes from living a life how you want.  I dont think any of them are happy and that is why they are trying to change.

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

I also love this book - such a page turner! I am in complete agreement with you, Debbie!

dhaupt wrote:

Hi Sarah, great questions

Hmm and thought provoking too.

I love this novel, it is so well written and I love the narrative the author uses, she really gets her point across.

To answer the first question first we have to remember the era that this novel talks about, it was a very changeable time with prohibition the mob and I think it's a lot like the 60's of my generation where people were trying to reinvent themselves.

Second we're talking about young adults at a very important precipice of their lives about to graduate high school and either go off to college or in Gloria's case get married. I think all young adults of this age are trying out their wings to see how far from the nest they can go and I don't think they're any different from the youth of today. So I call it more coming of age than anything else.

The second question

sneaking off to the speakeasy, drinking illegally and cutting hair is VERY much so freedom for Gloria anyway. She is obviously very unhappy with her life, the direction she sees it going. Wondering what kind of marriage she'll have, not seeing passion is Bastien etc. It may not be safe freedom, but it's freedom none the less. It's no different than when our young people try drugs, have sex at a too young age or drink before it's legal. 

At this point I don't see anyone having freedom in the novel, the characters are all in their boxes but they're trying to get out.

My thoughts on the first section of Vixen was that it took everything in me to stop reading. I really wanted to find out where it was going.

My predictions are dark, I just have an uneasy feeling about the kind of trouble these characters are getting into especially Gloria involving herself with the gangsters of Chicago.

Contributor
SSDailey

I'm not going to repeat what everyone has said so far, but I basically agree with what everyone has said. I have to say that right now Clara is my favorite character. I like Gloria too, but I'm anxious to find out more about Clara's past and more about this person who is writing the notes to her. I find Lorraine to be annoying, but it's great that there are characters who invoke that kind of emotion; it would be boring to read a book where you like all of the characters. I just think that Lorraine tries to hard and it leads people to not take her seriously because she is just so over-the-top. Lorraine is an interesting character and you can tell just how much she wants to be in the spotlight, especially considering how she is always putting Clara down, making snide comments about how she is from the country and spends her time with cows. Lorraine sees that Clara fits in with everyone there and how they are all becoming friends with her and Lorraine does not like that. She sees Clara as a threat to her position so she tries to find ways to get people to look at her, even if it means causing basically a scandal at the deb party.

Earlier in the posts someone mentioned wanting Lorraine and Marcus to end up together and I completely have to disagree about that. I think that Lorraine only really wants Marcus because of how much attention she would receive if she were with him. It would make all the other girls jealous and put her in the spotlight. I would much rather have Clara with Marcus as I get the feeling that she could use a decent guy in her life. This would be especially amusing since it seems that she wants nothing to do with men for a while, most likely because of everything that happened in New York.

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

So well said, Donna! That's exactly what I was thinking - but you said it so well...:

"Freedom is the ability to be yourself no matter what the obstacle. Bobbing your hair, drinking alcohol, smoking, acting differently for others, etc., do not make you free. They are simply ways of following the crowd. I think that all three of these young women are yearning for the freedom to be themselves and to be accepted as such. But, they are all going about it the wrong way, at least so far. We will see what happens as the story progresses."