Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Re: Vixen Discussion: Part I: Speak Easy through page 144

Some interesting observations. I want to hear more about why you think of Marcus as being the character who is most free. 

New User
MrsO2010
0 Kudos

I agree with Trish in that I really enjoy & appreciate how the chapters are divided amongst and the girls. Sometimes, I get in a tizzy when reading a book & want to skip ahead to see specifically what's going on with a particular character and I liked how the readily identifiable chapter titles facilitated that.  However, I was "good" and didn't do that in Vixen.  I've completed the book but will read again on pace w/ the discussion.  :-)

Mrs. Ozmun
Inspired Contributor
avalonpriestess
0 Kudos

Re: Vixen Discussion: Part I: Speak Easy thru page 144

Any thoughts to who the Vixen of the title might be?

I haven't yet finished the book.  I think Gloria wants to be the Vixen, Raine wants what Gloria has and Clara is the true Vixen.    I've been wondering who's sending the notes to Clara--I know this sounds crazy but the only person I can't suspect is Marcus--which leads me to believe perhaps it's him sending the notes.  

Donna

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I'm interested in how Clara's country-cousin 'makeover' makes her so popular with the debs and their mothers. There's something about this character that really shines. What do you all think?

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Ooh... Marcus sending the notes... very intriguing theory! Do you think this is part of the plan to humiliate 'Country Clara' or that they knew each other before?

Inspired Contributor
avalonpriestess
0 Kudos

"Some interesting observations. I want to hear more about why you think of Marcus as being the character who is most free. "

Marcus 'appears' to be free, he doesn't seem to have a care in the world.  I'll bet it's just an act.  I think he's much deeper than the shallow 'let's have fun' guy he seems to be.

Donna

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

If you had to choose between a society marriage or life as a singer in a speakeasy, what would you choose?

Correspondent
StewiesMom
0 Kudos

I'm not ready to answer the posted questions yet, but something did strike me as I read the first chapter of Vixen.  Colors play a huge part in Gloria's world.  The descriptions of many things in Chapter 1 seemed to include the exact hue of that thing.  I don't know why this stood out to me, but it did.  I haven't gone past chapter 4 yet, so I don't know if this is significant or not, but I find myself wondering why there are such vivid color descriptions, unless they hold value?

"Tact, my dear"..."is merely a ploy of the unimaginative." - Bernard in Corinne Demas' "The Writing Circle"
"My life is my own, and the opinions of others don't interest me..." — Carroll John Daly**
**This is not necessarily true, I just love the quote!**
Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I agree! Do you think he is as blind to Lorraine's advances as he seems to be?

avalonpriestess wrote:

Marcus 'appears' to be free, he doesn't seem to have a care in the world.  I'll bet it's just an act.  I think he's much deeper than the shallow 'let's have fun' guy he seems to be.

Contributor
chelseamaya
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

Some interesting observations. I want to hear more about why you think of Marcus as being the character who is most free. 

I find Marcus to be the most free mainly because he is the white male of the time.  He really can get away with almost anything.  And it's really not just Marcus, any of the male figures in this novel can get away with whatever they please as long as they keep face for the public, and keep what is done in private, private.  The expectations for men versus women were very different.  Women were only just beginning to spread their wings, and those that belong to the upper class were expected to stay status quo, like Gloria cutting her hair, that was a big deal because it defied societal norms for her class.  Marcus, and other men, do not have such standards to live up to as long as they act like gentlemen when necessary, they aren't scrutinized as the females are.

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I think Clara is my favorite, too. It doesn't seem to matter who she's pretending to be, she seems to have a genuine ability to make friends. 

She is also a big reader! Did anyone else notice everything she's reading through out the book?

Sarah-W

I think that it's interesting that the flapper fashions tend to imitate a boyish form, compared to what woman wore in the past: both the shorter hair and the flattened breasts. I wonder if there's a connection between these two kinds of freedoms?

Inspired Contributor
avalonpriestess
0 Kudos

"Do you think this is part of the plan to humiliate 'Country Clara' or that they knew each other before?"

Clara did not appear to recognize Marcus when they met, there is also no mention of Marcus ever being in New York or even away from Chicago.  Somehow, though, perhaps through a friend of Marcus'? Something big happened with Clara, something that involved many others.  I haven't finished the book, I'm not much further than page 150 but I think perhaps Clara was pregnant, or involved in a bootleg liquor scheme and Marcus somehow has knowledge of her transgression.

Donna

Contributor
chelseamaya
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

If you had to choose between a society marriage or life as a singer in a speakeasy, what would you choose?

If I actually had a good singing voice, I'd go for singer in a speakeasy.  I know that I'd probably end up in the societal marriage, but if I had the guts, I'd rather be in the speakeasy.  I'd rather lead the adventurous life, even if it's a bit (or a lot) dangerous. 

Inspired Contributor
avalonpriestess
0 Kudos

Society marriage or life as a singer in a  speakeasy?  I think I would choose the society marriage.  I don't think either life would be fulfilling to our 21st century ideals, however, I can't imagine singing in a bar/club night after night.

As far as Marcus and Raine,  I don't think he's as blind and clueless as he appears.  I think he's well aware that Raine has a crush on him and he finds it amusing.

Donna

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

We're so glad you could join us. We'll be reading and discussing Vixen all month, so you should have plenty of time to catch up. 

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I also love the wide mix of characters in this novel. One of the amazing things about this period was the way that everyone started mixing. I suspect this may have been one of the unintended consequences of making alcohol illegal!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

The prologue turns out to be pretty important. We will definitely encounter this moment, again!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I don't know about you, but I have a really hard time imaging what it would be like to make the kinds of decisions these characters face at the age of 17. 

Contributor
thecatsmeowAM
0 Kudos

I think the female characters trying to change themselves, both in appearance and in general, is reminiscent of the times.  They are all young women trying to find the "real" person inside of them, in a world where women had limited choices at that time in history.  I think Gloria is especially someone trying to branch out and live a life that is unexpected of her, by her family, fiance and friends.   She is my favorite character thus far.

Freedom to me means being able to make decisions for myself, and even to make bad decisions, knowing there may be consequences.  I think all of the characters in the book so far are doing this.  They are making choices that may be frowned upon, or even have severe consequences, but they do them anyway in order to be "free" and exert their independence.

I really like the book so far.  I read a little past the schedule before it was posted and now that I had to stop, I am missing the characters and am anxious to dive back into the roaring 20s!