Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Re: Vixen Discussion: Part I: Speak Easy through page 144

I couldn't agree with you more about that 'stick with you' thought.  

I am typically not a TV viewer-too many other fun things in life to do, yet the other day the husband was watching a series or repeat of CSI & it was about a crime that perplexed the crew & of course lab work and quick observation helped solve the mystery; I ended up trying to put together how the murdered got away with it without being noticed, it played over and over as I couldn't buy the line that was given by the main character being accused. This is the same with books, they stick with you about how the details are discovered, played-out, and put together for the ending...  pretty interesting overall.

This book has stuck with me as well, yet I finished it so quickly I need to go back and savor some of the sayings, details worth remembering and the funny snide remarks.

DANILYNN71 said.....

(It's interesting how a good book sticks in my mind and makes me keep thinking, even though I've read two other books since finishing this one)

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

TO BookBobBP ;

you are right in your comment - they are not very 'deep' folks by any means, yet there is enough complicated characters in the novel to make it very interesting up to the end . . . . 

do not see much to either Gloria or Lorraine.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

BookBobBP wrote:

I do not see much to either Gloria or Lorraine. Good girl being bad and needy friend.  The Clara is more interesting not so one dimensional.  I am looking forward to hearing more about her.

I agree,Clara Not being one dimensional She has a past..and thats not always a bad thing..She is my favorite character so far...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
Lildove3
0 Kudos

The answer to the first question is these girls are no different than most, the only difference

is the girls in the speakeasy era was a little tamer than the girls in 2010. Actually, this story is

sort of like a soap opera but in a good and interesting way,this novel is definately difficult to put down.The reason why these girls want to change their looks is sort of like a competition amongst themselves,but isn't that typical of most girls? Changing their looks somewhat changes their lives in a slight way.  Answer to question 2 is, freedom is different for everyone

there really is numerous thoughts to what it can mean,unfortunately none of these characters

have truly found their freedom in life just yet.

Author
Jillian-Larkin

Re: Vixen Discussion: Part I: Speak Easy thru page 144

Sarah-W wrote:

I HAVE read Savage Beauty. This really is one of the definite biographies of Edna St. Vincent Millay. Nancy Milford also wrote famous Zelda  biography, about F. Scott Fitzgerald's brilliant, but troubled wife. Vixen has me thinking that it's about time I finally give Zelda a try!

Vermontcozy wrote:

Savage Beauty  True Sarah.Definitely more serious..But even as I read "Vixen"..It was a  time in our History when ,with all the tragedies of WW1  People just were  feeling free.in some respects..The Era gave birth to wonderful Artists,Writers,Musicians...Edna St  Vincent Millay attended "Vassar "in the early 1920's  She was quite the Rebel.,in all respects...So keeping with the 1920's  This is a great book..Fascinating Life...Susan..

I'm so glad you brought these books up, Sarah! I actually read Zelda by Nancy Milford right around when I started writing Vixen and found it deeply inspiring. I've always been a little obsessed with Zelda Fitzgerald, ever since I realized how heavily Daisy in The Great Gatsby and Gloria in The Beautiful and the Damned are based on her. As Nancy Milford points out in Zelda, some of Gloria's comments and musings in The Beautiful and the Damned are directly taken from Zelda's letters to Scott.

Contributor
Lycan731

Let's talk characters...i think i dislike all of them. Which is very funny.

Even though I don't like the story a lot, i can't stop reading. I need to know what happens, how it ends.

Gloria: she wants to be a singer, because that is a way of rebelling. And he falls, she fancies herself in love with Jerome Jhonson...I guess this things were very scandalous in the 20's.

Marcus: A player...who is best friends with Gloria and is possibly gonna end up falling for Clara. I actually want him to stay with Grace.

Clara: Bad girl got burned and wants to change her lifestyle. I hope she doesn't and returns to being a flapper.

Lorraine: Jealous of Gloria, in love with Marcus. She is gonna betray Gloria, I'm sure.

Bastian: I like the shortening of the name. Comes from old money and, shockingly, is bankrupt and is marrying gloria for her money.

Again, nothing new there. But the author is so good that I am gonna keep on reading.

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Lycan731 - wow I do find that kinda funny!

do you not like them because of their situation or because of what they represent?  The characters may seem 'unlike-able' yet the book is a 'what is next can't put down' nosey/intrigue type of novel.

Let's talk characters...i think i dislike all of them. 

Reader
Anne_Elliot
0 Kudos

I absolutely love this story!  It had me from the very first sentence and made me keep reading it until I was halfway through the book and only had three hours to sleep before I needed to get up.  The characters are well-developed, the story moves quickly, and I find myself wishing that I could read faster because I absolutely MUST know what happens next!

Lastly, I have never read a book that what written quite like this on before (where each chapter is told from a different girl's point of view) and I find it a new and refreshing take on the third person narrative. 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Lycan731 wrote:

Even though I don't like the story a lot, i can't stop reading. I need to know what happens, how it ends.

Gloria: she wants to be a singer, because that is a way of rebelling. And he falls, she fancies herself in love with Jerome Jhonson...I guess this things were very scandalous in the 20's.

Marcus: A player...who is best friends with Gloria and is possibly gonna end up falling for Clara. I actually want him to stay with Grace.

Clara: Bad girl got burned and wants to change her lifestyle. I hope she doesn't and returns to being a flapper.

Lorraine: Jealous of Gloria, in love with Marcus. She is gonna betray Gloria, I'm sure.

Bastian: I like the shortening of the name. Comes from old money and, shockingly, is bankrupt and is marrying gloria for her money.

Again, nothing new there. But the author is so good that I am gonna keep on reading.

I Like your Spin On "Vixen"..''We will see you next week and read your posts...Its Great to read everyones thoughts,but some stand out more than others..Jillian has now been added to my TBR ,of course "Ingenue".and one other..I hope The Series Just continues for a very long time....from the 1920's to ?... Susan Vtc...This is a Go to Series for me...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Contributor
MsGlam
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Lycan731 wrote:

I totally agree with you the only character that I do not out right dislike is Clara. Well its her chapters that I look forward to the most anyway. Gloria and Lorraine whine too much for me that I spend most of their chapters wanting to smack them. Clara I guess because of her past is more grounded in reality seeing things like they truly are.   

Reader 2
Airion1
0 Kudos

To me so far the characters are the only thing keeping me reading. The plot is moving very slowly for me. Gloria annoys me but Clara and Raine are intresting and have unique motives. When writing a historical novel like this the writer has to be able to bring a modern auidence into the time. She does a good job briging the gap with relatable characters. However, some of the termanology and slang takes away from it if you don't know what it means. Some sort of period guide in the back would be helpful.

Reader 2
Eledri

Sorry, I’m late to the discussion, but better late than never!

First of all, wow I truly loved this book!  After a few chapters it really was hard to put it down!

Why do you think each of these character is so interested in changing their looks? Do you think they are successful? Does changing their looks change their lives?  I think each of the characters were trying to reinvent themselves into the person they wished they could be.  For Gloria, she was tired of looking and acting the part of the perfect rich white socialite.  For Lorraine,  she was tired of having the perfect bestfriend who gets all the attention.  For Clara, she just wanted a clean slate…even if it was built on lies.  As for did their attempts at changing their looks change their lives…I think it did but not in a good way for all of them. 

Personally I see none of these characters with freedom.  They are all held back by limitations that have first been put on them but others, and then put on them by themselves.  Freedom is something that is individually defined.  I think that in some cases sneaking off to a speakeasy, or cutting ones hair can be a starter in the way to find the individuals personal freedom.  Simple acts can often be liberating.

New User
Aelish
0 Kudos

Wow - I was a little late to the discussion!  I apologize for not reading all 10 pages of responses; I'm going to answer before I read them all so that I can give my thoughts....

1.  I think each is so interested in changing her looks because it's an outward expression of the internal change she wishes to see.  Changing her looks may be a bit of a springboard for the internal change, or may be a physical reminder of what she is wanting to happen.  I think that each girl is somewhat successful; I think changing their looks is that first step to realizing their change.

2. I don't think that going off to a speakeasy, drinking, or cutting one's hair really makes one free.  I think rebellion such as what Gloria does at the beginning isn't necessarily true freedom because it's mainly done in reaction to someone or something else.  If it's done truly because it's what one wants to do, because one is following one's passion, I think that is when one's actions are truly free. I'm having a hard time expressing this feeling; I hope that you can understand what I mean. 

I had a little bit of trouble getting into this section and wasn't sure which character I would wind up rooting for.  I liked the rest of the book better.  :-)

Contributor
amt19
0 Kudos

Answer 1: They feel changing their looks will change their self image and others image of who they have been in life so far.

I don't feel they are successful, They still feel as they did prior to the changes and making more changes to prove they are different.

Changing their looks has effected their lives in minor and really more negative than positive ways. So far it has not changed as any of them had hoped.

Answer 2:

Sneaking off, Drinking, and cutting their hair has not made them free. If anything it causes one to be more imprisoned by the of lies and fear of being caught.

In my opinion being free is when you are both happy and content with who you are and how your life is being lived.

Answer 3:

I think that everyone's lives are going to begin to crumble and they won't be able to hide behind what they want everyone to see.

Contributor
SeaLue
0 Kudos

I think they are interested in changing their looks in order to find their identity. Throughout this. first section, we are reminded that girls in their society were supposed to fill a mold. The flapper look is their way of escaping this standard. However Gloria and Lorraine fail because they continuously try to find structure in a culture that is anything but. This is especially evident with Lorraine as she keeps referencing her "flapper handbook". I believe that freedom is never having to answer to anyone. Jerome was pointing out that Gloria can change her hair and clothes all she wants but she'll never be free as long as she answers to her parents. Clara was closest to being "free" because she able to live outside of the world she grew up in- clean home and plenty of food. She was able to forgo the necesseties of society in order to do what she wanted. Therefore, because she did not have restrictions, she was free. Jermome isassuming that Gloria could never live under similar circimstances, and so she would never be able to be free to make her own decisions.
Correspondent
jabrkeKB

I am LOVING this book!!

1. Each character is yearning to be something they are not. Are they successful? Remains to be seen. 

2. Freedom is loving who you are and letting your TRUE self shine.

Contributor
Alnilan
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am enjoying the book even though I have not read a YA in many years; the roaring twenties as the background makes it worthwhile.

Indeed all the characters try to become "something else" by changing and over relying on their appearances and I would like to add to the list Bastian, who tries to sport a "respectable" persona, Gloria's mother Bea nouveau riche excesses,  and all Gloria's debutante friends and their mothers who try to show off an affected Victorian ideal.

Unlike the above characters, Jerome is real to himself and lives his true passion through his music.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

jabrkeKB, I just read your post and I agree. The characters I think are trying to find themselves. They don't want to be put in a mold that their have made for them. It does remain to be seen if they successful.

I like your points. I am not sure that some of the characters like themselves. That coud be why they are trying to be something they are not.

ReadingPatti

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Anne-Elliot:

I did love this style as well.  I was not sure about the layout (each girl had a chapter) at fist but as I read on it made the book very clear and I was able to keep up with each girls events better.

I too read until 0300 hours in the morning and had to get up at 0500 hours. I couldn't put it down and ended up reading it to the end. :smileyindifferent:   Now I have longer to wait until the next novel!  darn

Anne_Elliot stated:

Lastly, I have never read a book that what written quite like this on before (where each chapter is told from a different girl's point of view) and I find it a new and refreshing take on the third person narrative. 

New User
algAG

I completely agree with how the chapters are set up.  It provides the reader with detailed information and background on how they feel and the type of person they are from their own point of view, not from somebody else's, so we really get to know the true characters for what they are. 

I think that the characters want to change because they are still looking to see who they are.  They are exploring the world because they want to be what the world does not allow them to be, themselves.  They have to lead the lives that other people want them to lead.  They are not truly independent.  They are simply looking for something that will be fulfilling to them.