Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn

Re: Vixen Discussion: Part II through the end of the book

At the end, Gloria seems like she's going to go with Jerome. I think it is most likely with more books coming... Few people want to read about someone doing the safe, expected thing they do in their own lives on a regular basis.

If Lorraine doesn't wake up, she's going to end up in a bad place. I wonder if Bastian is going to switch to Lorraine when Gloria goes out of reach or if he's going to chase Gloria. (Maybe both.) Lorraine knows more about Bastian and she does come from a wealthy family, too. Vera's also put herself in a bad place with Bastian.

Since Marcus accepted Clara's past, I think she's got the easiet path, especially because of the miscarriage. It is easier to move on without living proof every day. She also has the clearest picture of what life might hold, so her choices and expectations are more realistic.

I did enjoy this book, even though the pacing was a bit uneven (the book starts very slowly and ends too quickly.)

Frequent Contributor
vpenning

The cliff hanger at the end with Vera holding the gun...makes me wonder. Could she actually get the cops to believe that he did it? They got rid of the body, and the ballistic work back then was not as comprehensive as it is today. And, if SHE made the call, or said anything, as a black woman she would not be believed over a white citizen with clout.

I feel that Gloria's future is one that is going be fraught with problems, and danger. I do not know how either of them are going to succeed with their careers and still stay under the radar of the mob.

I am glad Marcus and Clara got together...but, I still wonder about their future. Especially with her past.

I am not surprised about Lorraine's future, as she would most likely have a similar fate had she done similar actions even today. Especially in high society.

And, that bring to the point about the time period. The Gloria/Jerome romance would not be an issue in a large metropolitan city like Chicago in this day and age...so, Gloria's problems would not have been on the scale it was in the book. Granted, her relationship with her fiancee would have been doomed to failure with his being a snake...but, even that might have had a different outcome had she had more of an option as a female.

For that matter...her mother would not have been so concerned about her having such an advantageous marriage. She might be more concerned about Gloria getting into the right school and getting a good job, and taking over the family business!

The biggest contrast with today and then, I think is not just the race issue, but with the rights of women. That time period left little for women to do but depend on marriage and the protection of a man.

I lived through a time where girls could not play certain sports...where women were treated as second class. It is not perfect now...but, compared to the 20s, I had been emancipated!

My final impression is that all but the Vera part felt complete for me. I had to imagine my own scenario to finish out that story thread to make me feel like I had finished the book.

I wonder if the next book will pick up where it left off. I like most of the characters, and would enjoy more of their life...but, I would also like to be introduced to new ones....

Inspired Contributor
shmy
0 Kudos

vpenning wrote:

The biggest contrast with today and then, I think is not just the race issue, but with the rights of women. That time period left little for women to do but depend on marriage and the protection of a man.

IA. I had read about, study it for history, watched plenty of soaps, but at one point reading Vixen I think it hit me. How these girls don't have that many choices, and how they don't have much freedom.

Contributor
mf99
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I wonder if Vera's going to be become a more prominent character since she's the only person left in Chicago that knows what really happened. As to the other characters, I'm glad that Jerome and Gloria have at least a chance at happiness together though I have to question whether being in New York will change any of the obstacles facing them besides putting distance between Gloria and her family. That's definitely one thing that's changed in America between then and now, people are rarely forced into loveless marriages for wealth and status anymore..Now they just fool themselves into believing it's what they want! My favorite character from this book was Clara and I am happy to see that Marcus still wants to be with her and it seems to me as if "country Clara" wasn't totally an act after all otherwise the feelings they have for each other wouldn't be real. Poor Lorraine, while what she did is despicable, I doubt that anyone could blame her for wanting to feel loved and admired, it's just the way that she tried to achieve those goals that is reprehensible. As for Bastian, I hope that Vera frames him for the murder because if you look at it, in one way it is his fault...he just wasn't the one who pulled the trigger!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

vpenning, thanks for your very comprehensive thoughts... Jillian has said that there will be much more Vera in the next book. I suspect there will be other new characters as well!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Women only got the right to vote in 1920... I came to the realization earlier this year that my grandmother is older than the right to vote!

shmy wrote:

vpenning wrote:

IA. I had read about, study it for history, watched plenty of soaps, but at one point reading Vixen I think it hit me. How these girls don't have that many choices, and how they don't have much freedom.

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I don't think that a court would see it the same way, but some interesting thoughts, nevertheless. Thanks for joining us!

mf99 wrote:

As for Bastian, I hope that Vera frames him for the murder because if you look at it, in one way it is his fault...he just wasn't the one who pulled the trigger!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Ha! Bonnie_C I never thought of it that way... you make a very good point. I expect Gloria still hasn't entirely made up her mind at this point in the book. Does anyone else have any thoughts about this chain of events?

Bonnie_C wrote:

This book was a true delight to read.  From beginning to end I found myself looking forward to reading what was on the next page.  Well done, Jillian.

However, I did have some exasperation over Gloria at the end of the book.  She and Jerome have the confrontation with Carlito.  Jerome has to leave town.  He invites Gloria to come with him.  She goes by Bastian's apartment and overhears him telling Carlito to take care of Jerome while he takes care of Gloria.  She hears Bastian give Carlito Jerome's address.  Now I do realize that this was before the age of texting, but I would like to  think that after Gloria steals the gun she would make like the wind and go to Jerome's to tell him to get the heck somewhere far away ASAP because he has one mad gangster after him.  But instead she goes back to her house and packs and then puts on her flapper dress and make up before going to Jerome's.  Once there they take time to make out.  Not smart Gloria.  Hopefully she and Jerome will be smarter in NYC or they will not last long.

Thank you again for this most entertaining read.

Bonnie

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Thanks for joining us, I'm so glad you enjoyed the book!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I don't know which I found more surprising at the end of the book: Gloria with the gun, or Bastian's involvement with the gangsters. Maybe they suit each other better than they think!
The passage with the red and green light struck me as well. I thought it was a reference to the green light in Gatsby!

literature wrote:

Lorraine is so weak that she believes she's found her divine inspiration when she sees flashing lights from the church.  A red blinking light saying redemption and a green blinking light saying truth.

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I suspect Gloria and Clara might present a few more surprises, but I was definitely more surprised about developments with the other characters... especially Sebastian 'the big fat skunk' as you so aptly put it! Now we have a glimpse of what makes him stink!
Thanks for having me at First Look, it's been a lot of fun! I've really enjoyed everyone's comments and having Jillian and Wendy involved and so responsive.

dhaupt wrote:

First Jillian, GREAT NOVEL and what a wicked ending, what a way to reel us in for the next installation of the series.

Hmm, now for the cliffhangers, I don't really see Gloria or Clara's stories as cliffhangers, I think we've been shown the path that each of them will take with Gloria going to NY w/Jerome and Clara waiting for next year to be w/Marcus.

The real cliffhangers to me anyway are what's to become of Lorraine (the drunk), and Vera and the big fat skunk Bastien (I always knew he was a slimeball I just didn't know how big of one he was) along w/Carlitio the mobster.  

Thank You First Look and B&N for another great pick.

Thanks Sarah for your moderating, it's been a blast.

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I also enjoyed the period setting. The fashion, the slang, and the music were all great. I've had a lot of fun poking around the internet to learn more.

DSaff wrote:

I was impressed with the level of research Jillian did to put this story correctly into the Roaring '20's. The attention to detail took me to that time and let me witness the story as it unfolded. I think she did a great job of portraying the '20's. Have things changed since then? Yes, in ways of fashion, public thoughts, communication, travel, and even in the public lives of gangsters. We know they are there, but their faces seem more hidden today. I think teenagers will always find ways to reach out and stretch their wings. After all, they are looking for ways to become their own person and fly. We all hope, however, that their path is one of happiness and not lawlessness.

Reader 4
Dewbrie9
0 Kudos

I have to say that the revelation that Vera was the one who tipped off Bastian took me completely by surprise.  I quite enjoyed the fact that she truly came in at the end and added a whole new perspective to the story that I had not considered previously.

A true romance, happy endings abound.  Made all the sweeter for the counterpoint of Lorraine's decline into despair.  Her story is truly more of a tragedy than anything else.

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

scientistsoltero wrote:

First, thank you so much for giving the opportunity to read the book before hands and even having the opportunity to share it with Jillian.

I absolutely enjoyed the book, it was a real page turner. The ending was very good written, I can't believe Gloria murdered someone!!!! I kinda suspected about Vera but I think she crossed the line at the end!

Bastian couldn't be anymore annoying. Poor Lorraine, she is just too lost, she needds help and ASAP! Clara and Marcus, I hope they end up together although I suspect something will happen in NYC!

I can't wait for Ingenue!!!!

Thanks so much! It's been such a delightful experience to be able to talk to all of you about VIXEN. I can only hope future readers will be so kind and enthusiastic.

Frequent Contributor
GReba
0 Kudos

My thoughts overall....what a GREAT book!  The story, the writing, the characters...they just came together with enough reality thrown in to make a wonderful reading experience.  As for the similarities to now...you know, every generation has something they are trying to prove.  Women were trying to gain a voice back then and some did that through the speakeasy scene with the hair, the clothes, the drinking, the smoking....everything they weren't "suppose" to do.  Some are still fighting that battle today as we continue to break through the boundaries and restrictions that exist in society...but it's a continuing battle to be fought.  Will they ever be truly equal in all ways?  One would hope...but then again where's the challenge in that?  ^_^

Will definitely be recommending it to other readers...have already done so in person on several occasions, but I'm also planning a post at my website to feature the book the week prior to its release.  Thanks so much for the opportunity to read and review this book early with everyone!  Happy reading!

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed the book.  The characters had depth and kept the interest thru-out the book.  The unknowns allowed the book to be interesting and not dull for a moment.  Just when you thought you figured out who 'done-it' you were thrown a curve ball.  That is good.  Who wants to figure out the plot so early that it is no fun??  

I liked Jerome because he is a nice character under the shell he must keep up or else he could get eaten alive by the forces of society.  Not so sure his life will be any easier in NYC or anywhere else, but he is a strong character and I know he won't give in to pressure.

I didn't expect Vera to turn out the way she did & trying to figure out her motives threw me for a loop; because I don't think she would side with "the man" (as Bastion would be known in my circles) before family.  Family ties run very deep and in those days she must of known the backlash which could have resulted if her plan to side with Bastion failed.

I will hope in Ingenue that Raine will make some progress on finding what she needs to change in herself, her life & her outlook.  Yet, I don't hold out much hope that she will do so without trouble & trials on the hard road with a few gangsters thrown in the mix.

Gloria will need to do some soul searching because she is about to have her entire life change to the point where she will not have much control over the actions that come about afterwards.

I do have hopes that the flapper girls will somehow come together as they age and learn about life to hold on to each other for support which is likely to be a necessary thing in the future (going about separate lives and experiences).  

The issue with predictions is  . . . . . .We just have to wait and see 

Not so sure I can say the same about Mrs. Carmody's life.  She is ruined when the truth about her husband is revealed.  What she needs is a "new money bag" to find and keep her in the society circle so she can live the way she is accustom to and yearns for.

As I see it the other love story turned out to be ms Country Clara & Marcus-wow!  who would figure the two of them would figure it out and try to make a go of it.  I like Marcus' attitude and ability to understand and forgive Clara and move beyond her obstacles or set-backs.

Overall great book & I left my review.  Thanks for the opportunity to read the novel before release and enjoy the dialogue with you and Wendy.  

Waiting with impatience for Ingenue!!!

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

TO NikiGunn . . . 

I don't think Vera has to worry too much about Bastion; he will likely try and stay out of her way because of what she can do to his reputation and his society life, even though she is a black women in the '20's he would not want to cause the tight-knit black community to come down on him afterall he is making hugh profits in his "speak-easy" life-style .  Plus I think he has more to lose than Vera does.

you said . . . . . 

Lorraine knows more about Bastian and she does come from a wealthy family, too. Vera's also put herself in a bad place with Bastian.

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

TO mf99 . . . 

we may be lead to believe that Vera is the only one that knows what happened . . . 

my money is on some piercing eyes that witnessed everything.  You can assume that Vera is the only one left in Chicago; I not so sure that is the case.

:smileyhappy:

you said

I wonder if Vera's going to be become a more prominent character since she's the only person left in Chicago that knows what really happened.

Wordsmith
swan480

Ah, finally I don't have to censor all my posts to make sure I'm not giving anything away!  :smileywink:  I finished the book in 2 days, before the discussions even started, so I've been having to bite my tongue!

I loved the ending of the book.  It was very satisfying to see all the characters moving on to the next steps in their lives, and for the most part I got what I wanted -- just enough to satisfy me while still keeping me interested in the next book.  :smileyhappy:

Someone said that Gloria is just a little girl playing dress up, but I disagree -- I think that by the end of the book, she is growing into those grown-up shoes!  Having to shoot someone to save the man she loves was a turning point for her, I think -- she was already starting to grow up, by realizing that she could make a different life for herself than what society and her family had carved out for her, but shooting someone upped the stakes.  It'll be interesting to see how she continues to grow and change in the next book.

I have to say that I love the twist at the end, that Vera was the one that gave Gloria's game away, and that she now has the murder weapon.  Very nice.  I can't wait to see what she does with it!

Someone else praised the amount of research that went into writing this book, I have to agree.  WOW!  It all felt so real, and I loved every minute of it.

As to the question of the 20s compared with today: I mentioned early on that I really appreciated the feminist leanings of the book.  In a lot of ways, I think women have taken some steps back from the high points of the women's movements, in the teens/20s and the 60s/70s.  After every surge in the push for women's rights, there is always a period of the pendulum swinging the other way, and women's roles becoming more traditional for a time.  As a result, I think a lot of girls will strongly identify with the issues Gloria, Clara, and Lorraine struggle with.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I thought that the ending, with so many cliffhangers, kind of made you gasp and hunger for the next one in the series to see if what you imagined would happen, truly did.
I think Gloria has been very headstrong and she will follow Jerome to NYC. Both are in pretty deep trouble with the mob, right now, so they both need to really get away. Will they be able to hide from them? That is a major question?.Will they survive in NYC as an interracial couple? At best, it is going to be a tough road to hoe, for them, but they are both talented. It would be better if they went to a place like Paris as Josephine Baker did. She was a pretty remarkable woman.
Sarah-W wrote:
Jillian Larkin's Vixen ends on several cliffhangers:
Will Gloria give up her society life in Chicago to follow Jerome into the jazz world of New York?