Contributor
heatburg

Re: Vixen Discussion: Part II through the end of the book

[ Edited ]
I knew, seeing as there is a sequel planned, that the book would end with cliffhangers, but I still felt the cliffhangers were a bit clumsily done.  I have no doubt, however, that Gloria will go to New York.  She has to, right?  What's she going to do, stay in Chicago and marry Sebastian?  I don't think that's even possible at this point.  I wonder, though, even if Gloria and Jerome manage to find safety somewhere--not worrying that gangsters are after them--about the challenge they've got ahead of them.  Where can they go where their relationship will be acceptable?  And I think Clara might go to New York as well, since both Marcus and Gloria will be there.  Lorraine?  I'm not sure what will happen to her, but if she manages to get out of her scrape with the mob, then she's set to go to college there as well.
As for Vera and Sebastian--what a couple of...well, I'm not sure I should use the language I really want to use to describe them.  Sebastian is just downright nasty.  What's his motivation, I wonder, or is he just plain evil?  And Vera, I can understand what she thought she was doing, but she's either incredibly naive or else just plain stupid for thinking it would turn out well.  I have to admit I'm not terribly excited to hear there will be more about her in the next book--I didn't find her to be an interesting character at all.  And I hope Sebastian is given some kind of depth in the next book; he's terribly two-dimensional in this one.
Inspired Contributor
kristyn711

First and foremost, a big thank you to Barnes and Noble and Jillian for sharing this book with us.  It was a great read.  I found it hard to stop reading ahead (although I really tried to not foreshadow in my comments).  That is the true mark of a good book.

To answer the following:

I'm especially interested in hearing your thoughts about similarities and differences between the Roaring Twenties and now. What is the same? What is different? Why? And what had to happen to make things change?

One similarity I noticed was the need for some people to move to big cities.  I had to for school, but the people I know that just moved to move seemed to all gravitate to big cities due to the social atmosphere, the people, the life.  I feel that is similar to the Roaring Twenties.  In this book, the characters wanted to move to New York, or get involved in the hidden world of Chicago (being from Chicago, this definitely made me want to read the book). 

One difference, I think, is that college for women now is not seen as the "alternative" to marriage.  Many people meet their spouse at college, but people are not getting married at 18, 19, 20 as much now.  They are going out and exploring the world, for good or bad, and then figuring out what their next step is.

I think the main thing that has changed (aside from everything in history that occurred - wars, depressions, etc.) is technology.  Due to things like the internet, cell phones, planes, etc. people are able to travel pretty freely in the U.S. and are able to meet and keep in touch with people outside of their social circle.  The Roaring Twenties had trains, but I just feel that airplanes made traveling a completely different thing (although not as "sexy" - there is something glamorous about hopping on a train and having someone running through the steam/smoke to try to stop you). 

On to the book:

I really liked Clara's character.  From the beginning, you could tell she was a good person who got caught up in a life and was trying to make a fresh start.  She liked to have fun, but was also a deep, emotional person who was easy to fall in love with.  Marcus grew on me as well, as I originally pegged him as a character I would love to hate (the ladies man, breaking hearts, etc.).  Once he saw the good in Clara, he appears to have changed his ways.

Lorraine was not a favorite of mine, but Jillian made me feel badly for her.  In the beginning, she was a jealous, backstabbing friend.  I didn't care much for her.  Although she is still not my favorite character, I really did feel bad for her when Gloria accused her of "telling" her secret to Bastian.  All of that mess with Bastian showed how truly confused and lost Lorraine really is.  I hope she gets out of the mess with the gangsters alive.

And Gloria.  I know I am supposed to like her.  I know I am supposed to feel for her.  I ended up going from like to annoyance with her.  I will try to explain.  In the beginning, I felt for her.  Being forced into a loveless marriage, not being able to be with the man she loved, being burdened with her family secret, etc.  That being said, as the book progressed, I felt like Gloria was the only person that mattered to Gloria, other then Jerome.  She didn't really take other people into account.  I am sure many people will disagree with me, but compare to Clara, she was significantly lacking. 

In the end, I cannot wait to read Ingenue to see what happens next.  I hope I can grow to like Gloria again, Clara and Marcus are able to make it work, and Lorraine gets out of this alive.

"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero

"My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter." ~ Thomas Helm
Contributor
WyattMills

First off ARGHHH I want MORE!!! I got the last page and kept turning it thinking if I tried hard enough the next installment would magically appear in front of my eyes. I couldn't get enough and now have to wait for the next book. I have to say that is the one thing I hate about series books, I read them so fast and then have to wait soooo long for the next one to come out to find out what happens next.

But I do want to say Bravo to Jillian, this was a wonderful book to read. I will admit it took me a bit to get into it but once I did, I really didn't want to put it down. I had to force myself to do so to keep with the reading and response schedule on the boards here. I did so that the book would be fresh in my mind when I wrote my responses.

I do believe Gloria leaves her society life in Chicago and follows Jerome. If she stays in Chicago there really is nothing left for her, her "light" for life would die. She needs to expand her singing opportunities and where else can she have a fresh start to do that than New York. But I think the road ahead of them is a long and hard one. I worry whether she has the strength to forge through the prejudice she will find there once it's known she is with Jerome.

Lorraine..Oh Lorraine. What a tangled web you are weaving. Such a slippery slope she is on, but I have to admit I'm curious as to where her relationship with the gangster will go. Will she totally immerse herself in the mob or will she finally wake up and flee before she gets too deep. Honestly I don't think so. She is so starved for love and attention I don't think she'll realize what she's getting into till it's too late.

Clara and Marcus, now that is a romantic love match I am pulling for. Can Clara face her past, I think so, she has already started to, but will Marcus' love be enough to hold him over till they meet in New York? Will she be crushed again or will she be the one to crush him? So many twists could happen to this couple and I am such a hopeless romantic that I'm pulling for them. I want them to meet up in New York and be there to support Glo in her endeavors to become the singer she dreams of becoming.

I don't feel I'm well versed enough in the history of the roaring 20's to be able to compare then to now or to even guess as to how we have gotten where we are today.

I loved this book and it was actually brought to mind while I was listening to a new CD today, a friend of mine sent me the soundtrack to the new movie Burlesque. If you have the chance to listen or find it, listen to the song "Iam a good girl", the first few words totally made me think of Clara and this  book and as I sat and listened to it, I thought it fit well :smileyhappy: I know it's not meant to but it clicked for me.

Loved it and can't wait to recommend it! Will totally be reviewing it on my blog as well when it's released.

Contributor
I_heart_you

Totally loved the ending!! Well, the whole book really!

I was beyond shocked at the end, discovering that it was Vera who told Bastian. Totally caught me off guard... I love when books actually surprise me!! I read so much that the typical formula for a story is sort of ingrained in me, and when an author has the ability to shock me, it's like Christmas Morning for a little kid!

There are huge differences between now and the 20's. From dress to behavior to lovers, the norm of what is accepted has changed dramatically. Race however, hasn't changed as much as one might hope. While, it is much more common to see two lovers of different races, it's still quite taboo in many eyes. But the world has made a little progress in that area... in the 20's, a book like Vixen would likely not even have been allowed to be published.

I'm a geek and I love it!
Frequent Contributor
Superbookworm

Loved the ending.  I couldn't put the book down.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi Sarah  So many Cliffhangers I know the only one that will flourish in the short term and hopefully forever ,will be Clara..She has accomplished and experienced much at such a young age..And Marcus is definitely in love with her..I hope she joins him in NY and starts college as well..Gloria and Jerome ,it can be a Wonderful Career if they surround themselves with the right people,but I still think they need to go to Paris..Thats where they will be accepted..I adore Lorraine,because she is still making mistakes,and is so young.I hope Barnard can help her find a direction..I always imagine The Great Gatsby..especially when we would visit Long Island....many homes are still reminiscent of that era..Sarah I did mention ,that when we all buy "Ingenue" can we have our own BookClub With you?  My daughter will read "Vixen "at my home over Thanksgiving,and want her to have her own set.one day of all the books in the Series that Jillian has up her Authors sleeve... She is a Nook Girl...but I still get her "Books"  Thanks again Sarah..You have been a Pleasure to have as a Moderator,,,What a Great Book to start with ..Happy Thanksgiving ..Susan Waiting for "Ingenue"

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

You bring up a good point. People did move to big cities for the added things they offered. In the 20's, though, few women went to college or had the option to explore their opportunities or the world on their own. For that matter, college was not as open to most men either. It was an option only for the well heeled.
Women often went to secretarial school but I doubt if going away on their own would have been considered acceptable by most. Women were far more sheltered and had far fewer rights. In order to have the semblance of a comfortable life, they truly needed a mate. Today, education and women's rights movements have really opened doors which enable women to be more independent and open to experiences like travel and careers.
Air travel opened up the world to people who could never have hoped to travel largely  because of time constraints, in addition to cost. It really "shrunk" our world and merged many cultures.
kristyn711 wrote: edited....

...One similarity I noticed was the need for some people to move to big cities.  I had to for school, but the people I know that just moved to move seemed to all gravitate to big cities due to the social atmosphere, the people, the life.  I feel that is similar to the Roaring Twenties.  In this book, the characters wanted to move to New York, or get involved in the hidden world of Chicago (being from Chicago, this definitely made me want to read the book). 

I think the main thing that has changed (aside from everything in history that occurred - wars, depressions, etc.) is technology.  Due to things like the internet, cell phones, planes, etc. people are able to travel pretty freely in the U.S. and are able to meet and keep in touch with people outside of their social circle.  The Roaring Twenties had trains, but I just feel that airplanes made traveling a completely different thing (although not as "sexy" - there is something glamorous about hopping on a train and having someone running through the steam/smoke to try to stop you). 

On to the book:

I really liked Clara's character.  From the beginning, you could tell she was a good person who got caught up in a life and was trying to make a fresh start.  She liked to have fun, but was also a deep, emotional person who was easy to fall in love with.  Marcus grew on me as well, as I originally pegged him as a character I would love to hate (the ladies man, breaking hearts, etc.).  Once he saw the good in Clara, he appears to have changed his ways.

Lorraine was not a favorite of mine, but Jillian made me feel badly for her.  In the beginning, she was a jealous, backstabbing friend.  I didn't care much for her.  Although she is still not my favorite character, I really did feel bad for her when Gloria accused her of "telling" her secret to Bastian.  All of that mess with Bastian showed how truly confused and lost Lorraine really is.  I hope she gets out of the mess with the gangsters alive.

And Gloria.  I know I am supposed to like her.  I know I am supposed to feel for her.  I ended up going from like to annoyance with her.  I will try to explain.  In the beginning, I felt for her.  Being forced into a loveless marriage, not being able to be with the man she loved, being burdened with her family secret, etc.  That being said, as the book progressed, I felt like Gloria was the only person that mattered to Gloria, other then Jerome.  She didn't really take other people into account.  I am sure many people will disagree with me, but compare to Clara, she was significantly lacking. 

In the end, I cannot wait to read Ingenue to see what happens next.  I hope I can grow to like Gloria again, Clara and Marcus are able to make it work, and Lorraine gets out of this alive.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

I wonder, have many young women who have moved to large cities for the excitement and social life remained there, after they married and had families? Has the trend totally reversed itself? Traditionally, suburbs were populated by married couples looking for safe and quiet neighborhoods in which to raise their kids. Two family incomes have made it possible to have household help and private schools for their children instead, in many cases, although some families need to have two parents working just to make ends meet. Which do you guys feel is the better option...stay at home moms vs working moms, public schools vs private schools, quiet suburbs vs big cities?

Contributor
chelseamaya
0 Kudos

My predictions for the next book:  Gloria will follow Jerome, she loves him, and if she didn't I'd be very sad.  I think nothing but darkness is in Lorraine's future.  She'll probably get "love" and "attention" from the gangsters, which will make her feel good until something goes wrong and she finds herself on the wrong end of a deal.  Lastly I think Clara will face her past and make a new life with the one she loves.  She deserves happiness.

I'm especially interested in hearing your thoughts about similarities and differences between the Roaring Twenties and now. What is the same? What is different? Why? And what had to happen to make things change?

I think a lot of things were explored in the roaring 20s that are considered "norms" today.  So in that sense we're different now than in the past.  What was once unacceptable is no longer taboo.  The roaring 20s was something that had to happen in order to make today what it is, without that transitional period, and the time that followed, society today wouldn't be as liberal.  The steps need to be taken, and if this period in time hadn't passed, I'm not sure how society would look at such things that are mentioned in this novel.

Wordsmith
literature

I agree with TWJ and a few others about Clara.  She was my favorite character also but she still isn't grounded into her new self.  She likes who she has become and seems to be stable with Marcus, but when she is with Gloria, her NY self starts emerging.  She tells Gloria to go for it with Jerome.  If you love someone, you don't get a second chance.  How did Clara think that her relationship with Harris Brown would be any different than the relationship Gloria had with Jerome?  Both girls ran away from a humdrum life to something what they thought would be more exciting.  How much experience did Gloria have with men at 17 yrs old?  Her absentee father who is divorcing her mother for a bimbo in NY; her life-long friend Marcus, who, by the way, I think there might have been some friendly playing around with at times; or Bastian, the loveless, financial-arrangement fiance?  Then, while engaged to Bastian, her eyes lock with Jerome's and it's love at first sight?  I agree there was a connection between them when their eyes locked, but maybe it was lust at first sight rather than love at first sight.  She was in a loveless relationship and he was new blood.  She was already taking a chance on singing, why not take one more chance and have some real excitement? 

I also think that once Clara is back in NY, the old Clara will start emerging.  Once you fall in love with Manhattan, it's instilled in your blood and you can get caught up in it again very easily.  When Clara was helping Gloria pack for her getaway, she tells Gloria that she never felt closer to her and that maybe she'll see her in NY.   We know she'll be going to NY to meet up with Marcus, but I think she will lose some self control.  She still has her roomies there and all she'll need is one chance meeting with them to start sliding back into a "flapper" state of mind.

Marcus, I don't trust.  I believe he likes Clara and is sincere with her.  He tells her he was intrigued with her

from the onset,  "I remember thinking there was something different about you beneath the surace, a veil of mystery waiting to be lifted.  I didn't kiss you then, I am a gentleman after all."  What really bothers me about Marcus is everytime they were somewhere, his eyes wandered, always looking around.  Was he looking for something better, something more enticing, or was he too insincere to look someone in the eyes.  Eye contact tells a lot about a person.  Anyone who doesn't make eye contact when talking with people have their own insecurities.  Will Marcus, being a playboy prior to Clara, be able to resist the females he encournters in school or in the city?  I don't think so.

Vera was a shock.  But I remember thinking why was she introduced so briefly?  There had to be more to her but I never suspected her to be the one to tell Bastian.  I believe her loyalty was to Jerome, knew Gloria could be a bad distraction for Jerome, but also she had nothing.  No formal training so being in a speakeasy was an option for her and Bastian made life easier for her.   She knew that she had revealed too much information to Bastian but it was too late.  I'm glad Bastian called her traitor to her own flesh and blood only because that got her angry enough to want to strike back at Bastian, especially after he said "I don't give a damn about Gloria, it's her money I want to marry."  I especially liked her exiting remarks "You won't get her or her money.  I'll make sure of it."  I  can't wait to read how Bastian meets his maker (hint, hint, Jillian).

Lief I like from the onset and he proved he had backbone.  He seemed to be protective of Gloria when she first started frequenting Green Mill and then again when she went to say goodbye to Jerome.  I loved the part when he stuffs Thor into an empty cupboafd behind the bar and stuffs his mouth with a handkerchief.

Carlito, well he's so stereotyped of a two-bit gangster who thinks he's G-d.  I hope bad things continually keep happening to him.

Contributor
narcisse

[ Edited ]

Clara was my favorite as well. I'm really interested to see what role she plays in the next book.  I imagine that they will pretty much all end up in New York.  That would be interesting to see how Clara would react to being back there.  Would she contact her old friends?  Would she try to make a new life with Marcus?  Either way, I hope that she will be there to give Gloria advice and help her out.  I don't know if Gloria's character can survive yet without Clara.

I can see Lorraine going down the wrong path already.  She has nothing left - by her own fault, but I can't help feeling sorry for her.  She is so misguided.  I also worry that she will go the way of Maude.  I hold out hope that by the end she will find redemption.

I am interested to see where the story takes Gloria and Jerome, but they are not really my main interest even though it feels like the book is mostly about Gloria.  I think Clara kind of stole most of my sympathies.

I really hope that Vera will be the fourth perspective in Ingenue.  Now that her part in this has been revealed, she has a lot of story to tell and I very much want to hear it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

Women only got the right to vote in 1920... I came to the realization earlier this year that my grandmother is older than the right to vote

You know, I never thought about that as far as women's emancipation. They had the right to vote in the 20's but there were still problems with sports, working,etc. I think though women have been emancipated to a point, there is still a problem with women earning as much as a man and that really, to me, depends on the job that women are doing along with men.  

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

Thanks so much! It's been such a delightful experience to be able to talk to all of you about VIXEN. I can only hope future readers will be so kind and enthusiastic.

Jillian, I just wanted to say what an enjoyable experience reading Vixen was and I hope you can move forward and tie up ends in this book and you will probably leave us with another cliffhanger in Ingenue. Thank you so much for allowing the First Look group to preview it for you.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
Emigail

First off, I'd like to apologize for being unable to participate the last few weeks.  My youngest sister recently had her first baby - a girl - and one of my uncles was in the hospital.  Now, on to the book.

I hope that Clara does meet with Marcus the next summer.  It would be nice for some true happiness to befall her.  As for Gloria, I think she's made her decision to follow Jerome, and while I hope things turn out great for the two, it is the twenties.  Things are going to get tougher for them, before they get better.  I think Lorraine is too far gone down the path to what many would call the dark side.  She doesn't seem to think of all the possible outcomes of her decisions.  She's already lost her best friend and the guy she harbored a crush on.  I worry that Bastian will trap her to him if Carlito doesn't.

I have to say it was great to read a book that holds mystery, romance, and adventure without focusing on any specific thing.  It was life without bringing in all the questions we hold about our own.  The book could be about real people, but at the same time it's all in the past.  It's highly unlikely that we today would have come across a situation exactly like the ones in the book, yet they are similar to what could occur.  There are still rich families who don't want to "pollute" the wealthy with people from poor families or vice versa, and there are still people out there who would have problems with Jerome and Gloria's relationship not because of the difference in their worlds, but the difference of skin color.  The subject of divorce today is so commonplace that it no longer causes scandal, and even if it did make the news(as several celebrity divorces do) it's not because of moral implications but rather the fact that the divorce is belonging to a well-known couple or the reason behind the divorce.  Also, women are more in control of their lives today.  Today's world lacks the staying power behind choices.  Someone breaks from their family's tradition?   That's nice.  It doesn't matter so much.  The consequences for things aren't nearly as dire to us today as they used to be.

I have to say though that I eagerly await the next book in the series and I would definitely recommend it to others.  It might have been a bit slow to begin, at least for me, but I would gladly read it over again.  It draws the reader in and when the books done, you want to continue.  I want to know if Clara goes to meet with Marcus.  I want to know how Jerome and Gloria get on.  How does Vera get even with Bastian for nearly getting her brother killed?  How does Lorraine continue to survive when she used to be just as well off as Gloria, minus the potential husband, of course?  How does Mrs. Carmody handle the backlash and the divorce scandal that's about to rear it's ugly head?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Emigail wrote:

First off, I'd like to apologize for being unable to participate the last few weeks.  My youngest sister recently had her first baby - a girl - and one of my uncles was in the hospital.  Now, on to the book.

I hope that Clara does meet with Marcus the next summer.  It would be nice for some true happiness to befall her.  As for Gloria, I think she's made her decision to follow Jerome, and while I hope things turn out great for the two, it is the twenties.  Things are going to get tougher for them, before they get better.  I think Lorraine is too far gone down the path to what many would call the dark side.  She doesn't seem to think of all the possible outcomes of her decisions.  She's already lost her best friend and the guy she harbored a crush on.  I worry that Bastian will trap her to him if Carlito doesn't.

I have to say it was great to read a book that holds mystery, romance, and adventure without focusing on any specific thing.  It was life without bringing in all the questions we hold about our own.  The book could be about real people, but at the same time it's all in the past.  It's highly unlikely that we today would have come across a situation exactly like the ones in the book, yet they are similar to what could occur.  There are still rich families who don't want to "pollute" the wealthy with people from poor families or vice versa, and there are still people out there who would have problems with Jerome and Gloria's relationship not because of the difference in their worlds, but the difference of skin color.  The subject of divorce today is so commonplace that it no longer causes scandal, and even if it did make the news(as several celebrity divorces do) it's not because of moral implications but rather the fact that the divorce is belonging to a well-known couple or the reason behind the divorce.  Also, women are more in control of their lives today.  Today's world lacks the staying power behind choices.  Someone breaks from their family's tradition?   That's nice.  It doesn't matter so much.  The consequences for things aren't nearly as dire to us today as they used to be.

I have to say though that I eagerly await the next book in the series and I would definitely recommend it to others.  It might have been a bit slow to begin, at least for me, but I would gladly read it over again.  It draws the reader in and when the books done, you want to continue.  I want to know if Clara goes to meet with Marcus.  I want to know how Jerome and Gloria get on.  How does Vera get even with Bastian for nearly getting her brother killed?  How does Lorraine continue to survive when she used to be just as well off as Gloria, minus the potential husband, of course?  How does Mrs. Carmody handle the backlash and the divorce scandal that's about to rear it's ugly head?

Emigail...I really liked your spin on "Vixen".It was very appealing because of your Modern  and Open Viewpoints..Jillian did an exceptional job of keeping us in the period and wanting more in "Ingenue" and we hope others in "The Flapper Series"...  Hope all is well, and Congrats on a New Addition to your family  ..See you when "Ingenue: is released.,or before on BN  .We could Have another BookClub with Sarah.!!(Maybe Jillian can visit us again)...  Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
wjbauer
0 Kudos

I loved the "Roaring 20's" because of the "cool cars" that they had!! You can tell that I am a man! Also there was the Flapper style of dress with all the accessories and of course the Vixen's. Also the gangsters, which we still have today but not as exposed as they were then. 

I think that Gloria and Jerome would have had a hard time staying together in a mixed relationship and believe that Gloria will realize this soon after getting to New York.

I think good things are going to be on the horizon for Clara and Marcus. In the next book I believe that they will be the main characters.

I still think Vara is a step sister of Jerome and loves him. :smileysurprised: 

Wayne

Inspired Contributor
shmy
0 Kudos

wjbauer wrote:

I loved the "Roaring 20's" because of the "cool cars" that they had!! You can tell that I am a man! Also there was the Flapper style of dress with all the accessories and of course the Vixen's. Also the gangsters, which we still have today but not as exposed as they were then. 

I think that Gloria and Jerome would have had a hard time staying together in a mixed relationship and believe that Gloria will realize this soon after getting to New York.

I think good things are going to be on the horizon for Clara and Marcus. In the next book I believe that they will be the main characters.

I still think Vara is a step sister of Jerome and loves him. :smileysurprised: 

Wayne

The clothes are the best part for me (and of course you can tell I'm a girl!)

As for Gloria and Jerome, I also think it will sink in until Gloria is in NY. Seems like she has to go outside their bubble to realize it, like when they tried to get hot chocolate :smileysad:

Inspired Scribe
Lexa555
0 Kudos

Overall I really liked this book and would give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars.

At the cliffhanger ending I was practically screaming NO don't do this to me I need to know the rest. So needless to say I will be buying book two when it comes out next year because I have to know what happens.

Pages of Forbidden Love
http://pages-of-forbidden-love.blogspot.com/
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

kristyn711 wrote: edited....

Hi kristyn711 and TWJ,

I posted my thoughts at lunch time today on Gloria, Jerome, Clara, Lorraine and Marcus.

I agree with you that Gloria is for Gloria.  Because her family had the means, she took everything she had for granted.  She runs away with a starving musician to NYC dressed in a gold lame dress because she wanted to make a grand entrance in NY.  How did Jerome feel about this?  Clara, I think is going to revert back to some of her flapperism once she's in NY.  It's in her blood and she couldn't have changed that much in such a short time.  Marcus, I don't trust him, mainly because he always had wandering eyes when he was with Gloria/Lorraine/Clara.  Okay, I'll concede once he realized he loved Clara there was no more mention of his scoping out the scenery.  How is Marcus going to fair out at Columbia and in his new Manhattan playground.  Again, his relationship with Clara was too short for him to have changed that much and she will not be with him for the first year.  Lorraine, I think bad things are going to happen one after another.  She is too depressed, too dependent on alcohol and at a loss to live peacefully with herself at this point to make a turnaround.  I don't think Gloria and Jerome should cohabitate, took risky; the gangster will surely find them.  I wonder what Jillian thinks about all of our speculation?

Reader 2
Airion1
0 Kudos

Just finished and am sorry I didn't get to post as much as I would have liked. I found the second part of the book to be really intertaining. It seemed that nothing monumental was happening during the first part of the book but, it really took off after Bastion showed up at the Green Mill. I had to find out what happened next. As far as characters go Clara had to be my favorite. She was honest and likeable. Bastion doesn't have enough motivation behind his actions. I would like to find out why he is the way he is. Vera seems cunning to me at first but, it makes me wonder why she would involve herself with the mob. I look foward to seeing what happens with her in the next book.