Contributor
brilliantsunshine
0 Kudos

Re: Vixen Discussion: Part II through the end of the book

I think that life and changes for these teenagers compared to today is much the same.  The society may have been different as far as race relations and mobsters abounding in everyday life, but other than that, I think the story relates to today.  I still think that the overall themes of the book recommend it to a more adult than teenage audience.  I felt that the beginning was slow, but after that it picked up and was a very fun read.  Thanks for letting me participate!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Thanks for joining us, I hope your family is well. One of the nice things about the First Look formant is that you can jump in anytime.

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

You know, I barely noticed the cars, but now that you mention it both Gloria and Lorraine appear to have their license to drive!

wjbauer wrote:

I loved the "Roaring 20's" because of the "cool cars" that they had!! You can tell that I am a man! Also there was the Flapper style of dress with all the accessories and of course the Vixen's. Also the gangsters, which we still have today but not as exposed as they were then. 

I think that Gloria and Jerome would have had a hard time staying together in a mixed relationship and believe that Gloria will realize this soon after getting to New York.

I think good things are going to be on the horizon for Clara and Marcus. In the next book I believe that they will be the main characters.

I still think Vara is a step sister of Jerome and loves him. :smileysurprised: 

Wayne

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I'm intrigued by your question, "How did Clara think that her relationship with Harris Brown would be any different than the relationship Gloria had with Jerome?" I certainly hope that Jerome is more responsible than Harris! I'm also interested that you mistrust Marcus. You give some excellent reasons why. I suspect he is the kind of person who could be easily blackmailed. And he has many women in his past who I am sure would love to do so!

literature wrote:

I agree with TWJ and a few others about Clara.  She was my favorite character also but she still isn't grounded into her new self.  She likes who she has become and seems to be stable with Marcus, but when she is with Gloria, her NY self starts emerging.  She tells Gloria to go for it with Jerome.  If you love someone, you don't get a second chance.  How did Clara think that her relationship with Harris Brown would be any different than the relationship Gloria had with Jerome?  Both girls ran away from a humdrum life to something what they thought would be more exciting.  How much experience did Gloria have with men at 17 yrs old?  Her absentee father who is divorcing her mother for a bimbo in NY; her life-long friend Marcus, who, by the way, I think there might have been some friendly playing around with at times; or Bastian, the loveless, financial-arrangement fiance?  Then, while engaged to Bastian, her eyes lock with Jerome's and it's love at first sight?  I agree there was a connection between them when their eyes locked, but maybe it was lust at first sight rather than love at first sight.  She was in a loveless relationship and he was new blood.  She was already taking a chance on singing, why not take one more chance and have some real excitement? 

I also think that once Clara is back in NY, the old Clara will start emerging.  Once you fall in love with Manhattan, it's instilled in your blood and you can get caught up in it again very easily.  When Clara was helping Gloria pack for her getaway, she tells Gloria that she never felt closer to her and that maybe she'll see her in NY.   We know she'll be going to NY to meet up with Marcus, but I think she will lose some self control.  She still has her roomies there and all she'll need is one chance meeting with them to start sliding back into a "flapper" state of mind.

Marcus, I don't trust.  I believe he likes Clara and is sincere with her.  He tells her he was intrigued with her

from the onset,  "I remember thinking there was something different about you beneath the surace, a veil of mystery waiting to be lifted.  I didn't kiss you then, I am a gentleman after all."  What really bothers me about Marcus is everytime they were somewhere, his eyes wandered, always looking around.  Was he looking for something better, something more enticing, or was he too insincere to look someone in the eyes.  Eye contact tells a lot about a person.  Anyone who doesn't make eye contact when talking with people have their own insecurities.  Will Marcus, being a playboy prior to Clara, be able to resist the females he encournters in school or in the city?  I don't think so.

Vera was a shock.  But I remember thinking why was she introduced so briefly?  There had to be more to her but I never suspected her to be the one to tell Bastian.  I believe her loyalty was to Jerome, knew Gloria could be a bad distraction for Jerome, but also she had nothing.  No formal training so being in a speakeasy was an option for her and Bastian made life easier for her.   She knew that she had revealed too much information to Bastian but it was too late.  I'm glad Bastian called her traitor to her own flesh and blood only because that got her angry enough to want to strike back at Bastian, especially after he said "I don't give a damn about Gloria, it's her money I want to marry."  I especially liked her exiting remarks "You won't get her or her money.  I'll make sure of it."  I  can't wait to read how Bastian meets his maker (hint, hint, Jillian).

Lief I like from the onset and he proved he had backbone.  He seemed to be protective of Gloria when she first started frequenting Green Mill and then again when she went to say goodbye to Jerome.  I loved the part when he stuffs Thor into an empty cupboafd behind the bar and stuffs his mouth with a handkerchief.

Carlito, well he's so stereotyped of a two-bit gangster who thinks he's G-d.  I hope bad things continually keep happening to him.

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Well, Gloria could always stay in Chicago and throw herself at the mercy of the law! But I suspect your right that one way or another our cast appears to be headed for Manhattan.

heatburg wrote:
I knew, seeing as there is a sequel planned, that the book would end with cliffhangers, but I still felt the cliffhangers were a bit clumsily done.  I have no doubt, however, that Gloria will go to New York.  She has to, right?  What's she going to do, stay in Chicago and marry Sebastian?  I don't think that's even possible at this point.  I wonder, though, even if Gloria and Jerome manage to find safety somewhere--not worrying that gangsters are after them--about the challenge they've got ahead of them.  Where can they go where their relationship will be acceptable?  And I think Clara might go to New York as well, since both Marcus and Gloria will be there.  Lorraine?  I'm not sure what will happen to her, but if she manages to get out of her scrape with the mob, then she's set to go to college there as well.
As for Vera and Sebastian--what a couple of...well, I'm not sure I should use the language I really want to use to describe them.  Sebastian is just downright nasty.  What's his motivation, I wonder, or is he just plain evil?  And Vera, I can understand what she thought she was doing, but she's either incredibly naive or else just plain stupid for thinking it would turn out well.  I have to admit I'm not terribly excited to hear there will be more about her in the next book--I didn't find her to be an interesting character at all.  And I hope Sebastian is given some kind of depth in the next book; he's terribly two-dimensional in this one.

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

You're right. Telegraphs and trains were relatively established. Automobiles were fairly new and luxury items for most people. Telephones were available, but not in the same way we think of them now. The radio was just getting started, though people might've had phonographs. (I think Gloria has one in her room.) And of course, the movies! Like the one Clara goes to with Marcus... I suspect that people were saying about those old technologies the things we say about our new ones. 

kristyn711 wrote:

I think the main thing that has changed (aside from everything in history that occurred - wars, depressions, etc.) is technology.  Due to things like the internet, cell phones, planes, etc. people are able to travel pretty freely in the U.S. and are able to meet and keep in touch with people outside of their social circle.  The Roaring Twenties had trains, but I just feel that airplanes made traveling a completely different thing (although not as "sexy" - there is something glamorous about hopping on a train and having someone running through the steam/smoke to try to stop you). 

Inspired Contributor
BooksToTheCeiling

Will Gloria give up her society life in Chicago to follow Jerome into the jazz world of New York?

I was really shocked when she was able to kill for love. Throughout the book, she just didn't seem deep enough.I think at this point she intends to. I'm worried that the thrill of rebellion will wear off and the hardships of real life, especially in that time period, will set in. We shall see.

Will Lorraine get the love and attention she desires without finding herself trapped in a dark bargain with one of Chicago’s ruthless gangsters? Lorraine has not made good decisions yet, I can't see her getting a grip now. If they pay her attention she will not only feel like she is getting what she wants, she will be able to put aside her feelings for her friends and how she betrayed them. For the time being anyway.

Can Clara find the courage to face her past and make a new life with the man she loves? She found the courage to tell him about her past and he seemed to accept it. I think and hope that she will be able to do it, make a life for herself.

Vixen ends with murder, romance, and intrigue, revealing the identity of the gun-toting vixen in the prologue and Vera's role in the events of the book. I hope that Vera has a bigger part in the next book. Her feelings and motivations were honest and real. She feared for her brother, not only that he would be hurt by Gloria but I think even  more she feared for his safety. She has a plan!

I'm especially interested in hearing your thoughts about similarities and differences between the Roaring Twenties and now. What is the same? What is different? Why? And what had to happen to make things change? Similarities: partying, teenage angst, rebellion, poor decision making, family dynamics. Differences: obvious racial attitudes (the way the AA characters were looked down on), civil rights, women's rights, prohibition, interacial couples are not condemed now as then.

I'm interested in your overall thoughts about the book. I could not relate well to the characters in this book. The teens acting as adults at times and as teens at times didn't seem to flow. I found the overall story interesting, and think if the characters would have been out of high school I would have found it a little more belivable. What I did like was learning about life in the 20s. I liked visiting the speakeasy, learning about prohibition and how people got around it. Most of all I learned about flappers. I hadn't known they were such a force, such a tool of change. How very interisting!

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Hi Sarah  So many Cliffhangers I know the only one that will flourish in the short term and hopefully forever ,will be Clara..She has accomplished and experienced much at such a young age..And Marcus is definitely in love with her..I hope she joins him in NY and starts college as well..Gloria and Jerome ,it can be a Wonderful Career if they surround themselves with the right people,but I still think they need to go to Paris..Thats where they will be accepted..I adore Lorraine,because she is still making mistakes,and is so young.I hope Barnard can help her find a direction..I always imagine The Great Gatsby..especially when we would visit Long Island....many homes are still reminiscent of that era..Sarah I did mention ,that when we all buy "Ingenue" can we have our own BookClub With you?  My daughter will read "Vixen "at my home over Thanksgiving,and want her to have her own set.one day of all the books in the Series that Jillian has up her Authors sleeve... She is a Nook Girl...but I still get her "Books"  Thanks again Sarah..You have been a Pleasure to have as a Moderator,,,What a Great Book to start with ..Happy Thanksgiving ..Susan Waiting for "Ingenue"

Thanks so much! It's early to say considering I just completed INGENUE, but I would love to go through the First Look experience again with all of you! I hope you and your daughter continue to enjoy the series.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Best,

Jillian

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

I agree with TWJ and a few others about Clara.  She was my favorite character also but she still isn't grounded into her new self.  She likes who she has become and seems to be stable with Marcus, but when she is with Gloria, her NY self starts emerging.  She tells Gloria to go for it with Jerome.  If you love someone, you don't get a second chance.  How did Clara think that her relationship with Harris Brown would be any different than the relationship Gloria had with Jerome?  Both girls ran away from a humdrum life to something what they thought would be more exciting.  How much experience did Gloria have with men at 17 yrs old?  Her absentee father who is divorcing her mother for a bimbo in NY; her life-long friend Marcus, who, by the way, I think there might have been some friendly playing around with at times; or Bastian, the loveless, financial-arrangement fiance?  Then, while engaged to Bastian, her eyes lock with Jerome's and it's love at first sight?  I agree there was a connection between them when their eyes locked, but maybe it was lust at first sight rather than love at first sight.  She was in a loveless relationship and he was new blood.  She was already taking a chance on singing, why not take one more chance and have some real excitement? 

I also think that once Clara is back in NY, the old Clara will start emerging.  Once you fall in love with Manhattan, it's instilled in your blood and you can get caught up in it again very easily.  When Clara was helping Gloria pack for her getaway, she tells Gloria that she never felt closer to her and that maybe she'll see her in NY.   We know she'll be going to NY to meet up with Marcus, but I think she will lose some self control.  She still has her roomies there and all she'll need is one chance meeting with them to start sliding back into a "flapper" state of mind.

Marcus, I don't trust.  I believe he likes Clara and is sincere with her.  He tells her he was intrigued with her

from the onset,  "I remember thinking there was something different about you beneath the surace, a veil of mystery waiting to be lifted.  I didn't kiss you then, I am a gentleman after all."  What really bothers me about Marcus is everytime they were somewhere, his eyes wandered, always looking around.  Was he looking for something better, something more enticing, or was he too insincere to look someone in the eyes.  Eye contact tells a lot about a person.  Anyone who doesn't make eye contact when talking with people have their own insecurities.  Will Marcus, being a playboy prior to Clara, be able to resist the females he encournters in school or in the city?  I don't think so.

Vera was a shock.  But I remember thinking why was she introduced so briefly?  There had to be more to her but I never suspected her to be the one to tell Bastian.  I believe her loyalty was to Jerome, knew Gloria could be a bad distraction for Jerome, but also she had nothing.  No formal training so being in a speakeasy was an option for her and Bastian made life easier for her.   She knew that she had revealed too much information to Bastian but it was too late.  I'm glad Bastian called her traitor to her own flesh and blood only because that got her angry enough to want to strike back at Bastian, especially after he said "I don't give a damn about Gloria, it's her money I want to marry."  I especially liked her exiting remarks "You won't get her or her money.  I'll make sure of it."  I  can't wait to read how Bastian meets his maker (hint, hint, Jillian).

Lief I like from the onset and he proved he had backbone.  He seemed to be protective of Gloria when she first started frequenting Green Mill and then again when she went to say goodbye to Jerome.  I loved the part when he stuffs Thor into an empty cupboafd behind the bar and stuffs his mouth with a handkerchief.

Carlito, well he's so stereotyped of a two-bit gangster who thinks he's G-d.  I hope bad things continually keep happening to him.

These are such great insights! And so interesting to read after I just turned in revisions on INGENUE, haha.

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

Thanks so much! It's been such a delightful experience to be able to talk to all of you about VIXEN. I can only hope future readers will be so kind and enthusiastic.

Jillian, I just wanted to say what an enjoyable experience reading Vixen was and I hope you can move forward and tie up ends in this book and you will probably leave us with another cliffhanger in Ingenue. Thank you so much for allowing the First Look group to preview it for you.

Another cliffhanger in INGENUE? I would never be so cruel a second time ... or would I? :smileyhappy:

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

Emigail wrote:

First off, I'd like to apologize for being unable to participate the last few weeks.  My youngest sister recently had her first baby - a girl - and one of my uncles was in the hospital.  Now, on to the book.

I hope that Clara does meet with Marcus the next summer.  It would be nice for some true happiness to befall her.  As for Gloria, I think she's made her decision to follow Jerome, and while I hope things turn out great for the two, it is the twenties.  Things are going to get tougher for them, before they get better.  I think Lorraine is too far gone down the path to what many would call the dark side.  She doesn't seem to think of all the possible outcomes of her decisions.  She's already lost her best friend and the guy she harbored a crush on.  I worry that Bastian will trap her to him if Carlito doesn't.

I have to say it was great to read a book that holds mystery, romance, and adventure without focusing on any specific thing.  It was life without bringing in all the questions we hold about our own.  The book could be about real people, but at the same time it's all in the past.  It's highly unlikely that we today would have come across a situation exactly like the ones in the book, yet they are similar to what could occur.  There are still rich families who don't want to "pollute" the wealthy with people from poor families or vice versa, and there are still people out there who would have problems with Jerome and Gloria's relationship not because of the difference in their worlds, but the difference of skin color.  The subject of divorce today is so commonplace that it no longer causes scandal, and even if it did make the news(as several celebrity divorces do) it's not because of moral implications but rather the fact that the divorce is belonging to a well-known couple or the reason behind the divorce.  Also, women are more in control of their lives today.  Today's world lacks the staying power behind choices.  Someone breaks from their family's tradition?   That's nice.  It doesn't matter so much.  The consequences for things aren't nearly as dire to us today as they used to be.

I have to say though that I eagerly await the next book in the series and I would definitely recommend it to others.  It might have been a bit slow to begin, at least for me, but I would gladly read it over again.  It draws the reader in and when the books done, you want to continue.  I want to know if Clara goes to meet with Marcus.  I want to know how Jerome and Gloria get on.  How does Vera get even with Bastian for nearly getting her brother killed?  How does Lorraine continue to survive when she used to be just as well off as Gloria, minus the potential husband, of course?  How does Mrs. Carmody handle the backlash and the divorce scandal that's about to rear it's ugly head?

Such insightful comments! I hope you enjoy INGENUE--I can tell you that a lot of your questions will be answered over the course of the next book. Congratulations on your new baby niece! I'm so excited to see my adorable little two year-old niece over the holiday weekend :smileyhappy:

Author
Jillian-Larkin

literature wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

kristyn711 wrote: edited....

I really liked Clara's character.  From the beginning, you could tell she was a good person who got caught up in a life and was trying to make a fresh start.  She liked to have fun, but was also a deep, emotional person who was easy to fall in love with.  Marcus grew on me as well, as I originally pegged him as a character I would love to hate (the ladies man, breaking hearts, etc.).  Once he saw the good in Clara, he appears to have changed his ways.

Lorraine was not a favorite of mine, but Jillian made me feel badly for her.  In the beginning, she was a jealous, backstabbing friend.  I didn't care much for her.  Although she is still not my favorite character, I really did feel bad for her when Gloria accused her of "telling" her secret to Bastian.  All of that mess with Bastian showed how truly confused and lost Lorraine really is.  I hope she gets out of the mess with the gangsters alive.

And Gloria.  I know I am supposed to like her.  I know I am supposed to feel for her.  I ended up going from like to annoyance with her.  I will try to explain.  In the beginning, I felt for her.  Being forced into a loveless marriage, not being able to be with the man she loved, being burdened with her family secret, etc.  That being said, as the book progressed, I felt like Gloria was the only person that mattered to Gloria, other then Jerome.  She didn't really take other people into account.  I am sure many people will disagree with me, but compare to Clara, she was significantly lacking. 

Hi kristyn711 and TWJ,

I posted my thoughts at lunch time today on Gloria, Jerome, Clara, Lorraine and Marcus.

I agree with you that Gloria is for Gloria.  Because her family had the means, she took everything she had for granted.  She runs away with a starving musician to NYC dressed in a gold lame dress because she wanted to make a grand entrance in NY.  How did Jerome feel about this?  Clara, I think is going to revert back to some of her flapperism once she's in NY.  It's in her blood and she couldn't have changed that much in such a short time.  Marcus, I don't trust him, mainly because he always had wandering eyes when he was with Gloria/Lorraine/Clara.  Okay, I'll concede once he realized he loved Clara there was no more mention of his scoping out the scenery.  How is Marcus going to fair out at Columbia and in his new Manhattan playground.  Again, his relationship with Clara was too short for him to have changed that much and she will not be with him for the first year.  Lorraine, I think bad things are going to happen one after another.  She is too depressed, too dependent on alcohol and at a loss to live peacefully with herself at this point to make a turnaround.  I don't think Gloria and Jerome should cohabitate, took risky; the gangster will surely find them.  I wonder what Jillian thinks about all of our speculation?

I'm having a blast reading everyone's INGENUE predictions. It's incredibly helpful for me as well to see which questions you're most curious to see answered in the next book. Then I can go back through the INGENUE draft and make sure about how well I have answered those questions.  Thanks, everyone!

Wordsmith
Tarri

wjbauer wrote:

I loved the "Roaring 20's" because of the "cool cars" that they had!! You can tell that I am a man! Also there was the Flapper style of dress with all the accessories and of course the Vixen's. Also the gangsters, which we still have today but not as exposed as they were then. 

I think that Gloria and Jerome would have had a hard time staying together in a mixed relationship and believe that Gloria will realize this soon after getting to New York.

I think good things are going to be on the horizon for Clara and Marcus. In the next book I believe that they will be the main characters.

I still think Vara is a step sister of Jerome and loves him. :smileysurprised: 

Wayne

I took an American History class (1920 - the end of WWII) about eight years ago and did a paper on advertising.  Shortly after the class ended, I was going through an old trunk that came from my Aunt's house and on the bottom found a newspaper from 1929.  They had brand new Model Ts (I think) for $999. 

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

There is another similarity between the twenties and our current day. The twenties was a time filled with excesses and was followed, near the end of the decade, by the collapse of the economy and The Great Depression.

Now, we once again have an economy in shambles, only just barely escaping another depression, following a couple of decades of enormous excess, as well.

Contributor
Brooke_Lynn_G

I was surprised at how much i liked this book. Gloria and Jerome were my favsie! I hope she goes with him to New York! The ending totally threw me for a loop, i was like "GO VERA!" I really cannot wait for the next installment in the series! i really thought the characters were well developed. Over all a great read and i would definitely recommend it! 

Honestly if i could i would live in the twenties. It seems care free and fun to me. The life style seems more true glamourous to me. Back then the racism issue would of killed me, i dont understand how people can judge some one on skin color. So i am very thankful that has changed. People still party and drink and try to change themselves just like people did in the twenties. Everyone is looking for an escape i think and in the twenties it was a speakeasy. Today its a club or bar, same thing. Thats what i think! :smileyhappy:

P.S. DOES ANYONE ELSE LOVE MARCUS??? :smileytongue:

Brooke-Reports.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

When I thought about Gloria killing the "hood", I thought of it more as an act of self defense or self preservation, not really murder for love. OTH, my "evil twin" was glad she got him!
BooksToTheCeiling wrote:

Will Gloria give up her society life in Chicago to follow Jerome into the jazz world of New York?

I was really shocked when she was able to kill for love. Throughout the book, she just didn't seem deep enough.I think at this point she intends to. I'm worried that the thrill of rebellion will wear off and the hardships of real life, especially in that time period, will set in. We shall see. edited.....

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

When I thought about Gloria killing the "hood", I thought of it more as an act of self defense or self preservation, not really murder for love. OTH, my "evil twin" was glad she got him!
BooksToTheCeiling wrote:

I was really shocked when she was able to kill for love. Throughout the book, she just didn't seem deep enough.I think at this point she intends to. I'm worried that the thrill of rebellion will wear off and the hardships of real life, especially in that time period, will set in. We shall see. edited.....

My evil twin knows your evil twin..I hope Carlito and his "Mob" don't track them down in NYC..I just see Gloria and Jerome sailing off to Europe to escape getting killed..,,Powerful and unexpected when Gloria did that..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

literature wrote:

thewanderingjew wrote:

kristyn711 wrote: edited....

I really liked Clara's character.  From the beginning, you could tell she was a good person who got caught up in a life and was trying to make a fresh start.  She liked to have fun, but was also a deep, emotional person who was easy to fall in love with.  Marcus grew on me as well, as I originally pegged him as a character I would love to hate (the ladies man, breaking hearts, etc.).  Once he saw the good in Clara, he appears to have changed his ways.

Lorraine was not a favorite of mine, but Jillian made me feel badly for her.  In the beginning, she was a jealous, backstabbing friend.  I didn't care much for her.  Although she is still not my favorite character, I really did feel bad for her when Gloria accused her of "telling" her secret to Bastian.  All of that mess with Bastian showed how truly confused and lost Lorraine really is.  I hope she gets out of the mess with the gangsters alive.

And Gloria.  I know I am supposed to like her.  I know I am supposed to feel for her.  I ended up going from like to annoyance with her.  I will try to explain.  In the beginning, I felt for her.  Being forced into a loveless marriage, not being able to be with the man she loved, being burdened with her family secret, etc.  That being said, as the book progressed, I felt like Gloria was the only person that mattered to Gloria, other then Jerome.  She didn't really take other people into account.  I am sure many people will disagree with me, but compare to Clara, she was significantly lacking. 

Hi kristyn711 and TWJ,

I posted my thoughts at lunch time today on Gloria, Jerome, Clara, Lorraine and Marcus.

I agree with you that Gloria is for Gloria.  Because her family had the means, she took everything she had for granted.  She runs away with a starving musician to NYC dressed in a gold lame dress because she wanted to make a grand entrance in NY.  How did Jerome feel about this?  Clara, I think is going to revert back to some of her flapperism once she's in NY.  It's in her blood and she couldn't have changed that much in such a short time.  Marcus, I don't trust him, mainly because he always had wandering eyes when he was with Gloria/Lorraine/Clara.  Okay, I'll concede once he realized he loved Clara there was no more mention of his scoping out the scenery.  How is Marcus going to fair out at Columbia and in his new Manhattan playground.  Again, his relationship with Clara was too short for him to have changed that much and she will not be with him for the first year.  Lorraine, I think bad things are going to happen one after another.  She is too depressed, too dependent on alcohol and at a loss to live peacefully with herself at this point to make a turnaround.  I don't think Gloria and Jerome should cohabitate, took risky; the gangster will surely find them.  I wonder what Jillian thinks about all of our speculation?

I'm having a blast reading everyone's INGENUE predictions. It's incredibly helpful for me as well to see which questions you're most curious to see answered in the next book. Then I can go back through the INGENUE draft and make sure about how well I have answered those questions.  Thanks, everyone!

Jillian..Sometimes and it has happened,an Author will come back and visit us when the next book in a series is released,"INGENUE" countdown begins lol,,its only happened a few times if I am correct...And only Authors that have us on the edge of our seats with novels that we all LOVE.,you are definitely in good company....That would be great if you can arrange that..Happy Thanksgiving and see you on the 26th....Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Thank you!

I wanted to make sure to thank all of you who made this FL selection possible. Paul, another great selection! Sarah, great job with the questions and moderating. You made us think! Jillian, thank you for spending so much of your time answering our questions and responding to various posts around the board. Please give Wendy our thanks for her time and responses as well. To my fellow participants, thank you for your insightful comments! It is always a pleasure to discuss a book here because I get so much more out of it. I will absolutely continue to follow the series and recommend it to friends of all ages.  :smileywink:

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Too true! good point...

thewanderingjew wrote:

There is another similarity between the twenties and our current day. The twenties was a time filled with excesses and was followed, near the end of the decade, by the collapse of the economy and The Great Depression.

Now, we once again have an economy in shambles, only just barely escaping another depression, following a couple of decades of enormous excess, as well.