Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Re: Thank you!

Thanks to all from me as well!:smileyhappy:

DSaff wrote:

I wanted to make sure to thank all of you who made this FL selection possible. Paul, another great selection! Sarah, great job with the questions and moderating. You made us think! Jillian, thank you for spending so much of your time answering our questions and responding to various posts around the board. Please give Wendy our thanks for her time and responses as well. To my fellow participants, thank you for your insightful comments! It is always a pleasure to discuss a book here because I get so much more out of it. I will absolutely continue to follow the series and recommend it to friends of all ages.  :smileywink:

Reader
jhollon76
0 Kudos

Re: Vixen Discussion: Part II through the end of the book

I loved so much about this book. I love how in the biginning you think Clara is going to be the problem, but Loraine comes to be. You almost want to hate Loraine, but you cant help but feel sorry for her because its like she makes all these mistakes trying to do good, but doesnt know how. Also, you almost end up liking Bastain in the end, until u fiind out he is behind Jerome almost dieing, and could care if Glo died also. Clara, I loved her all the way through. I just wish Marcus would have asked her to marry him, but I guess then I wouldn't be waiting for the next one to come out to see what happens with them. I wasn't sure about this book in the beginning, but it pulled me in and didn't let go. I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Deltadawn wrote:

Too true! good point...

thewanderingjew wrote:

There is another similarity between the twenties and our current day. The twenties was a time filled with excesses and was followed, near the end of the decade, by the collapse of the economy and The Great Depression.

Now, we once again have an economy in shambles, only just barely escaping another depression, following a couple of decades of enormous excess, as well.

I Agree as well ..Our "Vixen" (sorry Jillian,its now part of our lives lol)has given us much to think about..Many similarities are, all human's dealing with situations that are timeless..Different era..same or similar situations..Even with all our technology It always comes down to How we deal with our dilemmas  Financial,relationships...Even though The Mafia Has somehow managed to go underground it seems, they still control a good portion of what we have read about in Vixen..Its America Free Enterprise..Such a great forum has evolved here..Thanks to everyone,its been one of the Best Reader Parcipitation.that I have been involved in... Susan...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Deltadawn wrote:

Thanks to all from me as well!:smileyhappy:

DSaff wrote:

I wanted to make sure to thank all of you who made this FL selection possible. Paul, another great selection! Sarah, great job with the questions and moderating. You made us think! Jillian, thank you for spending so much of your time answering our questions and responding to various posts around the board. Please give Wendy our thanks for her time and responses as well. To my fellow participants, thank you for your insightful comments! It is always a pleasure to discuss a book here because I get so much more out of it. I will absolutely continue to follow the series and recommend it to friends of all ages.  :smileywink:

Donna We are all on the same page with you..Thanks for being here and adding so much to our discussions..   Thank you Sarah W  for your insights and leading us in our discussions..Susan

Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom
0 Kudos

I agree with everyone that this was a great selection for the YA FL and I will definitely follow the series!  Thank you so much for this discussion and allowing it to be a FL! I totally enjoyed this book and now am looking forward, not to patiently, for Ingenue to come out!  Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

My review is coming!

"Open a book and the world is yours"
Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom
0 Kudos

To answer the question about the similarities between the 20's and now - there are some.  One being that teenagers in every era are eager to grow up and try the adult way of life which in that era was the speakeasy's, but the difference is that blacks and white society girls like Glo and Jerome would be more accepted today than back then, and I think that Jerome and Gloria will have a hard time along the way, that is if they really do run off together.

Today everyone drinks openly, sometimes to the extreme and back then the prohibition didn;t allow that so it was frown upon and really not even discussed.  To get to where we are today, there were wars and women finally taking a stand to get rights, thankfully!  It make for a great story though!

"Open a book and the world is yours"
Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Hi Sarah,

Who knows, maybe Jillian already has paternity and/or some type of misdemeanor suit pending against Marcus!  Lorraine's mind is warped enought to come up with some retaliation.

Sarah-W wrote:
I'm intrigued by your question, "How did Clara think that her relationship with Harris Brown would be any different than the relationship Gloria had with Jerome?" I certainly hope that Jerome is more responsible than Harris! I'm also interested that you mistrust Marcus. You give some excellent reasons why. I suspect he is the kind of person who could be easily blackmailed. And he has many women in his past who I am sure would love to do so!

literature wrote:

I agree with TWJ and a few others about Clara.  She was my favorite character also but she still isn't grounded into her new self.  She likes who she has become and seems to be stable with Marcus, but when she is with Gloria, her NY self starts emerging.  She tells Gloria to go for it with Jerome.  If you love someone, you don't get a second chance.  How did Clara think that her relationship with Harris Brown would be any different than the relationship Gloria had with Jerome?  Both girls ran away from a humdrum life to something what they thought would be more exciting.  How much experience did Gloria have with men at 17 yrs old?  Her absentee father who is divorcing her mother for a bimbo in NY; her life-long friend Marcus, who, by the way, I think there might have been some friendly playing around with at times; or Bastian, the loveless, financial-arrangement fiance?  Then, while engaged to Bastian, her eyes lock with Jerome's and it's love at first sight?  I agree there was a connection between them when their eyes locked, but maybe it was lust at first sight rather than love at first sight.  She was in a loveless relationship and he was new blood.  She was already taking a chance on singing, why not take one more chance and have some real excitement? 

I also think that once Clara is back in NY, the old Clara will start emerging.  Once you fall in love with Manhattan, it's instilled in your blood and you can get caught up in it again very easily.  When Clara was helping Gloria pack for her getaway, she tells Gloria that she never felt closer to her and that maybe she'll see her in NY.   We know she'll be going to NY to meet up with Marcus, but I think she will lose some self control.  She still has her roomies there and all she'll need is one chance meeting with them to start sliding back into a "flapper" state of mind.

Marcus, I don't trust.  I believe he likes Clara and is sincere with her.  He tells her he was intrigued with her

from the onset,  "I remember thinking there was something different about you beneath the surace, a veil of mystery waiting to be lifted.  I didn't kiss you then, I am a gentleman after all."  What really bothers me about Marcus is everytime they were somewhere, his eyes wandered, always looking around.  Was he looking for something better, something more enticing, or was he too insincere to look someone in the eyes.  Eye contact tells a lot about a person.  Anyone who doesn't make eye contact when talking with people have their own insecurities.  Will Marcus, being a playboy prior to Clara, be able to resist the females he encournters in school or in the city?  I don't think so.

Vera was a shock.  But I remember thinking why was she introduced so briefly?  There had to be more to her but I never suspected her to be the one to tell Bastian.  I believe her loyalty was to Jerome, knew Gloria could be a bad distraction for Jerome, but also she had nothing.  No formal training so being in a speakeasy was an option for her and Bastian made life easier for her.   She knew that she had revealed too much information to Bastian but it was too late.  I'm glad Bastian called her traitor to her own flesh and blood only because that got her angry enough to want to strike back at Bastian, especially after he said "I don't give a damn about Gloria, it's her money I want to marry."  I especially liked her exiting remarks "You won't get her or her money.  I'll make sure of it."  I  can't wait to read how Bastian meets his maker (hint, hint, Jillian).

Lief I like from the onset and he proved he had backbone.  He seemed to be protective of Gloria when she first started frequenting Green Mill and then again when she went to say goodbye to Jerome.  I loved the part when he stuffs Thor into an empty cupboafd behind the bar and stuffs his mouth with a handkerchief.

Carlito, well he's so stereotyped of a two-bit gangster who thinks he's G-d.  I hope bad things continually keep happening to him.

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

Very well put, DSaff.  You've said it all for everyone.

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

As always, Donna speaks for me. 

Frequent Contributor
gackie
0 Kudos

This was such a good book and the ending is such a cliff hanger. I can not wait to read the next installment.
I am very interested to see what will happen to the characters in the next book.

Thank you so much for the great read!

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

DSaff wrote:

Thanks, DStaff! I will pass along your thanks to Wendy. Thanks so much to Paul for giving me this amazing opportunity to discuss with all of you and to Sarah for doing such a stellar job moderating.

And most importantly: Thank you so much to all the participants! For your thought-provoking comments, for your avid participation, and for all your kindness and enthusiasm. I was nervous going into this, being a new author and all. But I am so, so glad to have been able to discuss VIXEN with you all and will go on to speak with future readers with a renewed sense of excitement and confidence. So really, thank you so much.

-Jillian

Reader 4
SpoildRotEWS

I thought it was a great, fast read.  I hated that it ended on a cliffhanger ... hated it!  Now I have to wait to find out what happens next.

I was holding out hopes that Lorraine would redeem herself somehow.  However, as the story went on, she just became more and more despicable.  Toward the end, the girl was so obvious and obnoxious that I wondered why Gloria didn't see through her years before.  I would like to see more of Lorraine's backstory.  Was she a good friend before and something happened to alter how she viewed her relationship with her Gloria?

By far, my favorite character was Clara.  I'm very curious to see how her story plays out.  I thought her character was very realistic and believable.

My one complaint with the book was Marcus.  I know the focus of the book is mainly on the girls, but I would have loved to have seem more focus on Marcus, too.  I felt like some more time should have been spent showing how his feelings toward Clara evolved.  First he was only going to seduce Clara to keep her out of Gloria's way, but then suddenly he was actually in love with her?  You just feel like you are missing something along the line.  What about her attracted him?  What was he thinking?  How did things gradually change between them?  What convinced Clara that his feelings were real and that he was no longer just playing a game?   I hope their relationship is explored more in the future books. 

I would also like to learn more about Vera.  She's barely mentioned in the books so far, but is obviously going to play a huge part in the series.  I definatley want to know what makes her tick.

Over all, a very good story and I would definately recommend.

Correspondent
jabrkeKB
0 Kudos

What a great First Look book!!! Thank you to everyone who made it possible. I will be looking forward to the next book in the series.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

Frequent Contributor
wjbauer
0 Kudos

Tarri wrote:

wjbauer wrote:

I loved the "Roaring 20's" because of the "cool cars" that they had!! You can tell that I am a man! Also there was the Flapper style of dress with all the accessories and of course the Vixen's. Also the gangsters, which we still have today but not as exposed as they were then. 

I think that Gloria and Jerome would have had a hard time staying together in a mixed relationship and believe that Gloria will realize this soon after getting to New York.

I think good things are going to be on the horizon for Clara and Marcus. In the next book I believe that they will be the main characters.

I still think Vara is a step sister of Jerome and loves him. :smileysurprised: 

Wayne

I took an American History class (1920 - the end of WWII) about eight years ago and did a paper on advertising.  Shortly after the class ended, I was going through an old trunk that came from my Aunt's house and on the bottom found a newspaper from 1929.  They had brand new Model Its (I think) for $999. 

I can hardly wait until a Time Machine is invented and I have $999.00!!! I hope you saved that newspaper. It is always fun to see what was going on then.

Author
Jillian-Larkin

SpoildRotEWS wrote:

I thought it was a great, fast read.  I hated that it ended on a cliffhanger ... hated it!  Now I have to wait to find out what happens next.

I was holding out hopes that Lorraine would redeem herself somehow.  However, as the story went on, she just became more and more despicable.  Toward the end, the girl was so obvious and obnoxious that I wondered why Gloria didn't see through her years before.  I would like to see more of Lorraine's backstory.  Was she a good friend before and something happened to alter how she viewed her relationship with her Gloria?

By far, my favorite character was Clara.  I'm very curious to see how her story plays out.  I thought her character was very realistic and believable.

My one complaint with the book was Marcus.  I know the focus of the book is mainly on the girls, but I would have loved to have seem more focus on Marcus, too.  I felt like some more time should have been spent showing how his feelings toward Clara evolved.  First he was only going to seduce Clara to keep her out of Gloria's way, but then suddenly he was actually in love with her?  You just feel like you are missing something along the line.  What about her attracted him?  What was he thinking?  How did things gradually change between them?  What convinced Clara that his feelings were real and that he was no longer just playing a game?   I hope their relationship is explored more in the future books. 

I would also like to learn more about Vera.  She's barely mentioned in the books so far, but is obviously going to play a huge part in the series.  I definatley want to know what makes her tick.

Over all, a very good story and I would definately recommend.

Thanks so much for the compliments. Many of the points you raised will be explored in future books, definitely. I feel INGENUE is a bit more of an ensemble piece than VIXEN, in which both Lorraine and Clara both get a little more of a chance to branch out and experience their own stories.
One point about Lorraine: At the start of VIXEN, we're not walking into the friendship Gloria and Lorraine grew up with. We're walking in after Gloria has spent months ignoring Lorraine and spending time with Bastian instead. Lorraine is already feeling hurt and betrayed prior to the events of VIXEN--Gloria's gig at the speakeasy and romance with Jerome just sends her over the edge.
-Jillian
Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Thanks to all of you, as well! I expect I will run into you all on the board, again, soon.
I'm blogging regularly at B&N Letter Blocks blog covering youth literature for parents and teachers, so you can also find me there. I mostly do middle-grade books, but I love YA, too, and occasionally write about YA titles there as well.

DSaff wrote:

Contributor
cskiles80

I really have not read a book in so long that once I really got into it, I could not put down.  First I would like to say it is really refreshing to read a book about young adults in love and it does not have a single vampire in the story, yippieee.

I completed the book last night, and now I wait for the next book.  What is going happen?  Did Gloria get on the train with Jerome?  What deal has Raine gotten herself into with Carlito?  Will the romance continue between Marcus and Clara?  Once Aunt Bea has discovered Gloria is missing will she still send Clara back to the farm?  What sill Vera do to Bastian?  What is Vera's next move?  What is Bastin's next move? URGHH, so many questions!

Through out the book the characters have grew.  I really like how characters have their own chapters.  This lead to a lot of insight to the characters.  Instead of  just hearing Gloria's story we heard all their stories and the different persepectives of the events tha took place.  It takes a very good writer to pull this off, since each chapter has to have a different voice.  Although the chapters are not written in first person, the thought patterns and just the simple pace of the chapter has to change with the characters. 

My favorite character has to be Clara.  The change that she has made through out the book.  In the beginning she "played" the role of country Clara.  She wanted basically to "play" everyone.  Just like Marcus, Raine and Gloria was going to play her.  But like the play from the others, Clara play turned real.  Just actually liked country Clara and discovered that is who is actually was, not the girl in "love" with Harris Brown or spending the evening in Speakeasies.  She wanted to be with Marcus, she wanted to the belle of the ball, she wanted to be truly loved.  I believe that Clara is the one in the book that has changed and grown the most in the book. 

Vera!  Man I was not expecting that! Totally out of the left field!  I knew she was protective of her brother and she frowned on the relationship between Jerome and Gloria, but WOW! I was wondering how Bastin discovered Gloria, I was thinking it was Thor, the flapper, or Carlito.  I know it would hurt Carlito revenue for the evening but the publicity might have brought in more over time. 

I also think that the flapper, I can not remember her name right now, the once Carlito brought into the dressing room before Gloria debut, is a forshadow of what is to come with Raine.  I hope not but I am scared for her.

Colleen

Colleen Skiles
Contributor
cskiles80
0 Kudos

I have to agree, I am worried Raine will become like Maude, broken and lost.  I don't want to say it but I believe Maude is a foreshadow of what is to become of Raine.

Colleen Skiles
Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Great questions! Isn't it amazing how a good book can sweep you away?

cskiles80 wrote:

I really have not read a book in so long that once I really got into it, I could not put down.  First I would like to say it is really refreshing to read a book about young adults in love and it does not have a single vampire in the story, yippieee.

I completed the book last night, and now I wait for the next book.  What is going happen?  Did Gloria get on the train with Jerome?  What deal has Raine gotten herself into with Carlito?  Will the romance continue between Marcus and Clara?  Once Aunt Bea has discovered Gloria is missing will she still send Clara back to the farm?  What sill Vera do to Bastian?  What is Vera's next move?  What is Bastin's next move? URGHH, so many questions!

Through out the book the characters have grew.  I really like how characters have their own chapters.  This lead to a lot of insight to the characters.  Instead of  just hearing Gloria's story we heard all their stories and the different persepectives of the events tha took place.  It takes a very good writer to pull this off, since each chapter has to have a different voice.  Although the chapters are not written in first person, the thought patterns and just the simple pace of the chapter has to change with the characters. 

My favorite character has to be Clara.  The change that she has made through out the book.  In the beginning she "played" the role of country Clara.  She wanted basically to "play" everyone.  Just like Marcus, Raine and Gloria was going to play her.  But like the play from the others, Clara play turned real.  Just actually liked country Clara and discovered that is who is actually was, not the girl in "love" with Harris Brown or spending the evening in Speakeasies.  She wanted to be with Marcus, she wanted to the belle of the ball, she wanted to be truly loved.  I believe that Clara is the one in the book that has changed and grown the most in the book. 

Vera!  Man I was not expecting that! Totally out of the left field!  I knew she was protective of her brother and she frowned on the relationship between Jerome and Gloria, but WOW! I was wondering how Bastin discovered Gloria, I was thinking it was Thor, the flapper, or Carlito.  I know it would hurt Carlito revenue for the evening but the publicity might have brought in more over time. 

I also think that the flapper, I can not remember her name right now, the once Carlito brought into the dressing room before Gloria debut, is a forshadow of what is to come with Raine.  I hope not but I am scared for her.

Colleen

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

Great questions! Isn't it amazing how a good book can sweep you away?

cskiles80 wrote:

Colleen

I know Sarah  We have had certain books on Teen and Firstlook that were excellent,,But "Vixen"has touched us all in so many different ways..We are now wondering about Vera,and caring about her and will she emerge in Ingenue and what her role will be..Along with every character that have touched our hearts,,.Glad we can till connect with you here on BN  I will be there ..Thanks for a Great Month ,Susan ... Colleen  I am now even more excited reading your thoughts and questions,,,This happens when we just can't leave "Vixen" behind when we know there will be so much more