Reader
kindb812000
0 Kudos

Re: Vixen Discussion: Part II through the end of the book

I have never enjoyed a book that once i finally got intro it that i enjoyed it so mcuh and had to keep reading it to see what was going to happen next.. I thought that the ending was a great cliif hanger for the next one and i cant wait till it comes out. I believe that all three main character in the book where great and gave the reader more then just one storyline to follow wich kept me more ingaged because i wanted to see what happened to all three of them in the end. thank you so much for letting me participate in this i relly enjoyed it.

Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

Another amazing book by another amazing author.  What fun it is to read such different book and to discuss them with all you our friends here in the First Look book club!  I hope to see you all again soon!  I loved this book and this time I read so much more than I posted and I ended up reading the book again with all these comments in mind and it is a whole different experience!  I cannot wait for the next book and hope all of you feel the same!  Such fun it is!

You are the author of your own life story.
Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

mommybooknerd wrote:

Another amazing book by another amazing author.  What fun it is to read such different book and to discuss them with all you our friends here in the First Look book club!  I hope to see you all again soon!  I loved this book and this time I read so much more than I posted and I ended up reading the book again with all these comments in mind and it is a whole different experience!  I cannot wait for the next book and hope all of you feel the same!  Such fun it is!

Thank you so much! Reading everyone's comments has helped me to see VIXEN in a new way as well :smileyhappy:

Contributor
BLong
0 Kudos

Loved the ending on this book. Really enjoyed the twist and turns throughout and look forward to the sequel.  Was left hanging and want more.  I loved the way that Jillian Larkin's book had gangsters, rich girl wanting something more, and just flat out an age where all teens and twenty year olds wanted more to life.  An age that had prohibation and the way they got around it. I loved Clara and the way she came to find a whole new life of acceptence. And Vera never saw her doing the things that she did. I will definately read the sequel when it comes out.  I give cudos and recomend this book not just to teens but to anyone wanting something diferent.

Contributor
lrloveless71
0 Kudos

I found Vixen to be very intriguing young adult book. I enjoyed the plot twists and character development. It was a very nicely written book that I will recommend to my nieces and friends. I look forward to reading the sequels and seeing how Vera's character becomes more central to the story.

Contributor
mystrelle
0 Kudos

I left the book with my conviction that Bastian & Raine were despicable utterly affirmed.  Strangely the character for whom I have most sympathy and who I felt firmly was the most genuine was Vera.  She is utterly motivated by her love and concern for her brother and his well being.  I would also love to hear more about Marcus.  I am intrigued by him & don't think he's necessarily the playboy he seems to be.  Lol, cliffhangers are deliciously frustrating. I am eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Contributor
embersky_gemini
0 Kudos

Wow! I can't wait for the second book.  I didn't feel when reading this book that I would follow through and read any of the others.  Then I got to the ending and I'm left guessing.  I really hope that Gloria got on the train.  I would have liked to know if she did or not at the end of the book, but I guess the fact that I didn't has me waiting for the next book.  I thought the way things ended with Clara and Marcus was very sweet, and I hope things work out for them. I think I liked Clara the best out of the characters.  It's probably her past experiances that formed her, but I felt she was the most "together" or "wisest" of the characters.  She had the strenght to take on her new self and follow through with her decision to be "good". I was shocked when I found out who told Bastien about Gloria, but I didn't really think it was Raine or Clara who did.  Can't wait to read more.

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

You are very good to point out the relationship between Maude & Raine.  I never considered that, just that all flappers who get heavy into the mob scene, flapper scene and involved generally end up old, used, and tired out from it all.

:smileyhappy:

Colleen stated:

I am worried Raine will become like Maude, broken and lost.  I don't want to say it but I believe Maude is a foreshadow of what is to become of Raine.

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Contributor
erica11
0 Kudos

Wow!  I initially had misgivings about this book, but they quickly went away.  Am dying to know what Gloria will decide!

I think females are still objectified today like they were in the twenties.  The only difference is that today's woman can choose to allow it where as women back then didn't have much of a choice.  In the twenties, females were to be docile and do "the right thing". 

Another major difference is dating whoever you want.  Back then, to date a "Black Man" was to invite scandle and posiibly danger.  Today it is thankfully accepted.

Correspondent
Sadie1
0 Kudos

Bonnie_C wrote:

This book was a true delight to read.  From beginning to end I found myself looking forward to reading what was on the next page.  Well done, Jillian.

However, I did have some exasperation over Gloria at the end of the book.  She and Jerome have the confrontation with Carlito.  Jerome has to leave town.  He invites Gloria to come with him.  She goes by Bastian's apartment and overhears him telling Carlito to take care of Jerome while he takes care of Gloria.  She hears Bastian give Carlito Jerome's address.  Now I do realize that this was before the age of texting, but I would like to  think that after Gloria steals the gun she would make like the wind and go to Jerome's to tell him to get the heck somewhere far away ASAP because he has one mad gangster after him.  But instead she goes back to her house and packs and then puts on her flapper dress and make up before going to Jerome's.  Once there they take time to make out.  Not smart Gloria.  Hopefully she and Jerome will be smarter in NYC or they will not last long.

Thank you again for this most entertaining read.

Bonnie

Bonnie, This bothered me too.  Very much so! 

It also bothered me, the relationship between Gloria and Jerome.  It was just so unbelievable that she would walk into this club and take one look at someone she has never met before and boom, bam, wham..she is instantly in love.  Then, he treats her pretty rude in the beginning, but she still is in her mind of what love is, in love with him??  What you mentioned and this, really bothered me about the book.

All in all, I enjoyed the story, felt a few parts were just too farfetched, even for a young 17 year old that had led a sheltered life.  One minute, the character has brains and the next, she has no brains at all.  Either she does or she doesn't?

Anywhooo, I can't wait to read the next book.  Got to see what a mess this train wreck ends up becoming.  Hopefully, the next book won't contradict itself so much.

Lisa in Georgia

Contributor
amusingmother
0 Kudos

What I liked about this book is that it can be read alone with the story being satisfying but can also be taken to new levels.  The ending leaves loose ends but just enough to whet the appetite without driving me crazy.  The story can now continue into so many different directions.  Each character is on a completely different path and will introduce the reader to different aspects of the times.

Frequent Contributor
Sheltiemama
0 Kudos

I see more similarities between the Roaring Twenties and the 1960s than now. Actually, I can totally see Lorraine as a mob wife! Loved finding out who the vixen was, and the language painted a very clear picture of how Gloria looked that night. I could "see" her getting ready, and I was thrilled Clara was her accomplice. They sort of swapped lives over the course of the book. Vera's role was a complete surprise. I plan to read the next book in the series and hope Vera is a big part of it. I loved this book!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

You aren't the only one to comment on Lorraine being fit to become a lady mobster. I love your observation that Gloria and Clara "swapped lives over the course of the book." Thanks for joining us for First Look.

Sheltiemama wrote:

I see more similarities between the Roaring Twenties and the 1960s than now. Actually, I can totally see Lorraine as a mob wife! Loved finding out who the vixen was, and the language painted a very clear picture of how Gloria looked that night. I could "see" her getting ready, and I was thrilled Clara was her accomplice. They sort of swapped lives over the course of the book. Vera's role was a complete surprise. I plan to read the next book in the series and hope Vera is a big part of it. I loved this book!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I'm so glad you ended up enjoying the book!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Thanks for joining us!

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Hey Amusingmother:

I agree that there are many paths the next novel can take on . . That makes this book the beauty of it all - they can all end up in NYC, or leave a trail that would lead back to their home roots. 

:smileyhappy:

The ending leaves loose ends but just enough to whet the appetite without driving me crazy.  The story can now continue into so many different directions.

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Contributor
terilhack

Vixen was an amazing read. I loved these characters and the trials they each were facing within themselves and the society at large and in their families.

As to how it relates today there are many similar associations that can be made. Children are still blind to divorce sometimes and not knowing what is going on with their parents. Or parents are still trying to use their children to better themselves and their positions. Then you have the interracial aspect. There are still many prejudices alive today, especially with parent and their children wanting to love whom they choose. 

The last hundred pages took my breath way and then bang!

No only was Gloria strong and taking down her lovers attacker, but dang his sister being the snitch?

I cannot wait for the next book because the story was so wonderfully written it was very hard to put down. The characters felt so alive in reading and the clothing made me look up old photos to get a better understanding of time and place. 

Thank you Jillian Larkin for such an amazing tale.

TeriC
Reader 2
Lilly_White
0 Kudos

I could not belive how the book ended.

I could not say that I was a fan of most of the book. Part 2 was much more intersting but the end made me look foward to a sequal.

I'm pretty sure that Glo is dead set on being with Jerome and nothing will stop her.

I found it very ironic that everyone is going to be in NY, even Lorraine. More ironic than getting the gang back together when their lives are definately going to pull them apart and put them in different places in NY, NY is where Clara's story gets all tangeled. I'm intersted to see what else pops up from her past.

and on a last note, I understand the need to protect your brother but Vera reminded me of Lorriane in the worst way.

Reader 2
Lilly_White
0 Kudos

I just realized that I totally skipped part of the question. Sorry :smileysad:

I don't know that things are much different now from the 20's. Slightly more relaxed but we still have a lot of the same issues. People still arrange marrages (although not often), people still marry for the wrong reasons while longing for someone else. Sometimes lovers run away to escape parents. Proibition has been done away with, gangsters are still present although less announced. Interracial relations are still frowned upon in some places. Women definately have more rights now, but there are still men out there like sebastian who think that a woman shouldn't be allowed to think. Oh and sex is more casual.

I don't think times have changed that much. Everything is pretty similiar, just not so stern

Wordsmith
wheeze
0 Kudos

I think this is one of my favorite books of 2010. At first, I thought it would be just another flapper story trying to make it in this world. Boy I was wrong. I am impatiently waiting for Intrigue to come out in August!

Personally, I hope Gloria got on that train with Jerome. Even though their love can't be loved by us, I see it as a love or a lifetime. I am glad she didn't continue to go on with Bastian. I could tell from the beginning he was nothing but bad news. She is my favorite character of the book, the one I am dying to see. GREAT BOOK!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe