Contributor
Lavasoap

Re: Vixen Discussion: Part II through the end of the book

I missed the discussion last week :/  But here is my part for anyone still browsing:

I knew, knew, knew Clara lost the baby! I think this turn made her character that much more endearing.  You really see why she changed and took on the Country Clara persona so readily.  That was a life-changing event and I'm hoping that Ingénue brings happier tidings for her, though I'm sure we haven't seen the last of the cad!

Lorraine has made some incredibly dumb moves and though I know a lot of readers gave up on her long ago or never gave her a chance I can't help but want to see her turn around.  I'm obviously a hopeless romantic at heart.  I do think we'll be seeing a lot more of her in bad ways.

Vera's role wasn't as surprising to me because of the discussion as I think it would have been had I been reading the book on my own.  I don't often sit back and really reflect on what I'm reading when I can just devour the story instead.  I think that is what I enjoyed that about the first look experience the most: it forced me to take time to see the different paths the author could have chosen and then to consider the merits to the path taken.

Jillian's book is really top-notch and I'm so excited to recommend it to my fellow readers! 

It's funny how so many things seem different, but are still the same.  A lot of the mentalities still exist (at least here in the South): women are often still paid less/valued less than men, the same for the racial side of the coin.  I think mixed couples are more prevalent, but not necessarily more accepted.  I also think that, at least within my circle, it's interesting how many people seem to be voluntarily moving back towards this era with a lot of women staying at home again and more couples trying to survive on one income instead of the two that was the norm for so long.  Of course, I think a lot of what has changed is my perception of the world around me too.  I didn't notice how many of my friends had stay-at-home moms b/c it wasn't really that important to me at that time in my life.  I don't really know a lot about the realities of a mixed couple in today's age vs. years gone by b/c it's not something I've ever sat back and really considered. 

I think we'd like to think we are a more advanced culture, but whether or not we truly live it...

Inspired Contributor
avalonpriestess
0 Kudos

I enjoyed this book very much.  I look forward to the second book in the series.  I love Clara and I'm happy she ended with Marcus.  I don't think her past will be an obstacle, as Marcus really loves her.  I see Gloria and Jerome having a hard time escaping the mob and I think this will pull them apart.  Lorraine's future is anyone's guess.  I hope she straightens out but I don't think it will happen. 

Donna

Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

I was totally blown away by the end of this book, what a chiffhanger...not al all what I expected!  So great!  Now the long wait until the next one comes out!

You are the author of your own life story.
Correspondent
1archi1
0 Kudos

Sorry I couldn't post last Monday but I left for Thanksgiving Vacation that weekend and just got back today.  The book was AWESOME!!!  I loved the cliffhanger at the ending and I really hope Gloria and Jerome will stay together.  I am a sucker for romances beating the odds.  I can't wait for the next book.  Vixen is a definite recommend!!

:smileyhappy:
Contributor
pmsmrsmoose
0 Kudos

This book was amazing. I never seemed to want to put it down. The entire time I read it I had to pace myself or I would have read it in one sitting.I am truly amazed at how real you made it seem. I can't wait for the second book in the series to come out so we can see where the 'Vixens' go with their lives.

New User
Aelish

I was so happy about the end of this book.  It got very fast-paced and I really enjoyed how the main characters changed throughout the story.  I also appreciated that the book explored interracial relationships.  I am excited to find out what happens to the characters!
I think that Gloria will go with Jerome and get embedded in the jazz world of New York.  I don't see good things happening for Lorraine, at least not for a while.  I'm hoping that redemption will come her way, but I think she really has to find out who she is first.  I am very hopeful for Clara; I think she has found someone who really loves her, and I want her to be happy with the new life she has created.  I am curious to find out more about Vera.  What made her go to such lengths regarding Gloria?  What was her ultimate motivation?  How will she factor in to other stories, or will she?  She's the only character I really *question*.

I think there are many differences between the Roaring Twenties and now.  There are lots more things now that are accepted, at least in good portions of the population, and I think there aren't nearly as clear distinctions as right and wrong as there seem to have been back then.  It seems that Gloria and her friends were trying to blur those lines a bit, proving that one can be a singer in a speakeasy and still a good person at heart.  It seems that in the 20s, the book portrayed that one was either very wealthy or was barely making ends meet.  I think that does not hold true as much today.  I am also very happy that things have progressed regarding women's rights and women's expected station in life.  How happy I am to have more opportunities than to just be a wife! 

I do think there is still an emphasis on appearances to a large degree.  And, while alcohol is legal now, other things are on legislators' agendas to ban, such as trans fats and artificial marijuana.  I think for things to change, there had to be a less extreme viewpoint taken by most of society and a willingness to emerge from some of the Victorian ideals and allow for more grey areas.

In all, I really enjoyed the book and I am looking forward to seeing what happens next!  Thanks so much for including me on this first look!

Kim

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Thanks for joining us at First Look. I couldn't help thinking as you---and others---have commented on the legality of alcohol, now, that it still wouldn't be legal for girls this age to drink... thoughts?

Aelish wrote:
I was so happy about the end of this book.  It got very fast-paced and I really enjoyed how the main characters changed throughout the story.  I also appreciated that the book explored interracial relationships.  I am excited to find out what happens to the characters!
I think that Gloria will go with Jerome and get embedded in the jazz world of New York.  I don't see good things happening for Lorraine, at least not for a while.  I'm hoping that redemption will come her way, but I think she really has to find out who she is first.  I am very hopeful for Clara; I think she has found someone who really loves her, and I want her to be happy with the new life she has created.  I am curious to find out more about Vera.  What made her go to such lengths regarding Gloria?  What was her ultimate motivation?  How will she factor in to other stories, or will she?  She's the only character I really *question*.

I think there are many differences between the Roaring Twenties and now.  There are lots more things now that are accepted, at least in good portions of the population, and I think there aren't nearly as clear distinctions as right and wrong as there seem to have been back then.  It seems that Gloria and her friends were trying to blur those lines a bit, proving that one can be a singer in a speakeasy and still a good person at heart.  It seems that in the 20s, the book portrayed that one was either very wealthy or was barely making ends meet.  I think that does not hold true as much today.  I am also very happy that things have progressed regarding women's rights and women's expected station in life.  How happy I am to have more opportunities than to just be a wife! 

I do think there is still an emphasis on appearances to a large degree.  And, while alcohol is legal now, other things are on legislators' agendas to ban, such as trans fats and artificial marijuana.  I think for things to change, there had to be a less extreme viewpoint taken by most of society and a willingness to emerge from some of the Victorian ideals and allow for more grey areas.

In all, I really enjoyed the book and I am looking forward to seeing what happens next!  Thanks so much for including me on this first look!

Kim

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

So glad you enjoyed the book and took the time to comment. I really appreciated your comments about not noticing things until later in your life... and that different ways of living aren't just about the culture at large, but our choice to embrace it...

Lavasoap wrote:

I missed the discussion last week :/  But here is my part for anyone still browsing:

I knew, knew, knew Clara lost the baby! I think this turn made her character that much more endearing.  You really see why she changed and took on the Country Clara persona so readily.  That was a life-changing event and I'm hoping that Ingénue brings happier tidings for her, though I'm sure we haven't seen the last of the cad!

Lorraine has made some incredibly dumb moves and though I know a lot of readers gave up on her long ago or never gave her a chance I can't help but want to see her turn around.  I'm obviously a hopeless romantic at heart.  I do think we'll be seeing a lot more of her in bad ways.

Vera's role wasn't as surprising to me because of the discussion as I think it would have been had I been reading the book on my own.  I don't often sit back and really reflect on what I'm reading when I can just devour the story instead.  I think that is what I enjoyed that about the first look experience the most: it forced me to take time to see the different paths the author could have chosen and then to consider the merits to the path taken.

Jillian's book is really top-notch and I'm so excited to recommend it to my fellow readers! 

It's funny how so many things seem different, but are still the same.  A lot of the mentalities still exist (at least here in the South): women are often still paid less/valued less than men, the same for the racial side of the coin.  I think mixed couples are more prevalent, but not necessarily more accepted.  I also think that, at least within my circle, it's interesting how many people seem to be voluntarily moving back towards this era with a lot of women staying at home again and more couples trying to survive on one income instead of the two that was the norm for so long.  Of course, I think a lot of what has changed is my perception of the world around me too.  I didn't notice how many of my friends had stay-at-home moms b/c it wasn't really that important to me at that time in my life.  I don't really know a lot about the realities of a mixed couple in today's age vs. years gone by b/c it's not something I've ever sat back and really considered. 

I think we'd like to think we are a more advanced culture, but whether or not we truly live it...

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I'd never thought about the possibility of more secrets from Clara's past emerging... what an intriguing thought! 

Lilly_White wrote:

I found it very ironic that everyone is going to be in NY, even Lorraine. More ironic than getting the gang back together when their lives are definately going to pull them apart and put them in different places in NY, NY is where Clara's story gets all tangeled. I'm intersted to see what else pops up from her past.

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I hadn't really thought about children in relation to their parents' divorce... thanks for the comment!

terilhack wrote:

Vixen was an amazing read. I loved these characters and the trials they each were facing within themselves and the society at large and in their families.

As to how it relates today there are many similar associations that can be made. Children are still blind to divorce sometimes and not knowing what is going on with their parents. Or parents are still trying to use their children to better themselves and their positions. Then you have the interracial aspect. There are still many prejudices alive today, especially with parent and their children wanting to love whom they choose. 

The last hundred pages took my breath way and then bang!

No only was Gloria strong and taking down her lovers attacker, but dang his sister being the snitch?

I cannot wait for the next book because the story was so wonderfully written it was very hard to put down. The characters felt so alive in reading and the clothing made me look up old photos to get a better understanding of time and place. 

Thank you Jillian Larkin for such an amazing tale.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

I think I remember several references, made by Clara, to a secret she would never tell anyone, However,when her pregnancy was eventually exposed, I thought the comments referred to that; now you got me wondering too.

Sarah-W wrote:

I'd never thought about the possibility of more secrets from Clara's past emerging... what an intriguing thought! 

Lilly_White wrote:

I found it very ironic that everyone is going to be in NY, even Lorraine. More ironic than getting the gang back together when their lives are definately going to pull them apart and put them in different places in NY, NY is where Clara's story gets all tangeled. I'm intersted to see what else pops up from her past.

Contributor
sdonahue
0 Kudos

I finally finished! I got behind due to a death in the family and the holiday.  I loved the book and I can't wait until the next one! Clara became my favorite character. You can't help to wish that she'll have a Cinderella ending. I'm wondering if more secrets will come out about her past, though. Lorraine, obviously, is my least favorite character. I'm wondering if she and Carlito will get together in the next book. If so, they deserve each other! I really don't have any strong feelings for Gloria, though. I feel that Clara and Lorraine were such strong characters that they overshadowed Gloria. I found myself just trying to get through Gloria's parts to find out about Clara! Maybe, it's just me......

Contributor
bmxmom
0 Kudos

I was very skeptical about this book when I received it in the mail, I wasn't quite sure if it was something I would be able to dive into or if I would have to swim my way through.  I loved this book and have now found myself very interested in the '20's.  The characters were definitely not what I had expected and thing really weren't what they seemed.  When I read the beginning I kept wondering who that character was!  Initially I thought it was going to be Clara.  I never dreamed it would be the perfect society girl!  

I am sorry I missed some of the discussions about this book but I wasn't quite sure how it all worked-I was a newbie!  

I want to take time to Thank Jillian for the wonderful book and let her know I can not wait until the next book comes out!  I will be ready to download it!!!  

Sarah thank you for the wonderful questions that kept me thinking.  Have wonderful Holidays!

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

thewanderingjew wrote:

I think I remember several references, made by Clara, to a secret she would never tell anyone, However,when her pregnancy was eventually exposed, I thought the comments referred to that; now you got me wondering too.

Sarah-W wrote:

Lilly_White wrote:

More things in Clara's past would make the next book very interesting.

Contributor
WickedAK

Sorry it's taken me so long! Crazy weather up here!

Awesome end to an awesome story.

The cliff hangers just made me want to go out and buy the next book. I can hardly wait for the next in the series!

I'm hoping Glo will go with Jerome. Although it won't be easy she seems to be one who likes to follow her heart instead of what society tells her is right or wrong.

Lorraine is on a path of self destruction none like I've ever seen before! On one hand I hope she gets her head on straight and stops what she's doing, but then what kind of story would that be?! Hers could get a lot more interesting and very deadly..I don't think she'll find the love she's looking for but attention, yes. Just not the kind she's gonna like.

I hope Clara can face her past, She seemed to be doing well before Lorraine brought it up and shared it with the world. Before Chicago she was determined just to make peace because she was forced too, but she likes Country Clara, and now that she doesn't have to pretend who she is she may just embrace it and truly love herself and her life.

I have recommended this book to everybody I have talked too. It's also on my gift list for my niece! I can't wait to discuss it with her!

Alicia in AK! @ -40 degrees! AAAHHHH!

Sarah-W wrote:

Jillian Larkin's Vixen ends on several cliffhangers: Will Gloria give up her society life in Chicago to follow Jerome into the jazz world of New York? Will Lorraine get the love and attention she desires without finding herself trapped in a dark bargain with one of Chicago’s ruthless gangsters? Can Clara find the courage to face her past and make a new life with the man she loves? Vixen ends with murder, romance, and intrigue, revealing the identity of the gun-toting vixen in the prologue and Vera's role in the events of the book. 

This is the last week of the Vixen First Look discussion. You've all been wonderful participants! It has been such a pleasure to read a book with people who are so open and engaged. To close our discussion I'm interested in your overall thoughts about the book. I'm especially interested in hearing your thoughts about similarities and differences between the Roaring Twenties and now. What is the same? What is different? Why? And what had to happen to make things change?

Vixen will be released on December 14th, so if you liked this book make sure to recommend it to someone else who would enjoy it! 

Frequent Contributor
Lblaze

I really loved this book and have already recommended it to a handful of people when it hits shelves. I loved the way the author has strong and distinct voices for each of the characters. Sometimes in YA novels, many of the characters (especially female) all start sounding alike.  This book was a refreshing read in that department. I'm eager to find out what will happen in New York. I can honestly say, I have no good guesses : )

Contributor
Alnilan

I think Gloria will follow her heart and go to New York with Jerome, and since other books will follow this one, all characters will meet and interact in a new setting- New York.  I am looking forward to the rich descriptions of New York in the 20s, Harlem, the Cotton Club, etc... I wonder if Clara will fall into her previous life, somehow I feel Marcus is a bit green and "cookie cut". We will see  :smileywink:

Contributor
rebecca_herman
0 Kudos

I agree with everyone, what a cliffhanger ending that was!!! I do think Gloria probably went to New York in the end. I can't wait for the next book to find out if I'm right!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. Thanks for joining us, and let us know what you'll be reading next, while we wait for Ingenue!

bmxmom wrote:

I was very skeptical about this book when I received it in the mail, I wasn't quite sure if it was something I would be able to dive into or if I would have to swim my way through.  I loved this book and have now found myself very interested in the '20's.  The characters were definitely not what I had expected and thing really weren't what they seemed.  When I read the beginning I kept wondering who that character was!  Initially I thought it was going to be Clara.  I never dreamed it would be the perfect society girl!  

I am sorry I missed some of the discussions about this book but I wasn't quite sure how it all worked-I was a newbie!  

I want to take time to Thank Jillian for the wonderful book and let her know I can not wait until the next book comes out!  I will be ready to download it!!!  

Sarah thank you for the wonderful questions that kept me thinking.  Have wonderful Holidays!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Condolences on your loss. Thanks for joining, anyway!