Contributor
ScrappyMama
0 Kudos

Re: Vixen Discussion: Part II thru p. 355

I think Clara is right about love.  You have to completely let yourself go and take the risk.  True love should be worth that.

Frequent Contributor
librarysusie

The budding relationship between Gloria and Jerome is really sweet but she got a small taste of the hatred that they will face not just from the white society people but from the black community too. He’s so sweet and cares about her so much, but they have a very hard road ahead of the if they decide to go on.

I loved the bonding between Gloria and Clara while they were getting ready for the party. Clara I feel is starting to come into her own and become her real self ,which is part flapper and part country Clara.

Lorraine oh Lorraine her drunken escapade at the party was such a train wreck and as usual it all backfired on her. I knew it wasn’t her that told Bastian about the Green Mill. I felt so sorry for Clara while Lorraine was telling everyone her deepest secrets and hurts.

I’ll be honest there was no stopping at page 355 I finished the rest I could not put it down! Fantastic book can’t wait for the next one!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

librarysusie wrote:

The budding relationship between Gloria and Jerome is really sweet but she got a small taste of the hatred that they will face not just from the white society people but from the black community too. He’s so sweet and cares about her so much, but they have a very hard road ahead of the if they decide to go on.

I loved the bonding between Gloria and Clara while they were getting ready for the party. Clara I feel is starting to come into her own and become her real self ,which is part flapper and part country Clara.

Lorraine oh Lorraine her drunken escapade at the party was such a train wreck and as usual it all backfired on her. I knew it wasn’t her that told Bastian about the Green Mill. I felt so sorry for Clara while Lorraine was telling everyone her deepest secrets and hurts.

I’ll be honest there was no stopping at page 355 I finished the rest I could not put it down! Fantastic book can’t wait for the next one!

I couldn't stop either lbrarysusie,.So will post more next week..I was so sad for Clara while Lorraine just couldn't stop telling everyone Clara's secret..as well..As "Vixen" moved along I just had to know it all..Next week will be another Good Discussion,with all that happened in a short perod of time..So many emotions surfaced..I know Ingenue will be released in 2011,,But we haven't a month yet...We are patient.and used to cliffhangers that are So worth waiting for...Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

librarysusie wrote:

I couldn't stop either lbrarysusie,.So will post more next week..I was so sad for Clara while Lorraine just couldn't stop telling everyone Clara's secret..as well..As "Vixen" moved along I just had to know it all..Next week will be another Good Discussion,with all that happened in a short perod of time..So many emotions surfaced..I know Ingenue will be released in 2011,,But we haven't a month yet...We are patient.and used to cliffhangers that are So worth waiting for...Susan

Me too! I couldn't stop reading. I stayed up that night till I was finished, who cared about work. I had to know. But now I will wait for Ingenue, it is on my calendar to watch for it.

I feel that Gloria and Jerome have a lot to learn about each other, but also about how they grew up and how they each lived. All those things that don't enter your mind when you are young and in love.

Inspired Contributor
shmy
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

I keep wondering if Lorraine will get her chance at love?

I sure hope so, even unlikeable people deserve their change. I insist, and I know I sound like a broken record by now, but reformed Bastian & Raine would do a nice couple LOL

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

literature wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

shmy wrote:

babzilla41 wrote:

Sarah-W wrote:

I was wondering who would be the first to bring this up! Gloria certainly seems to be feeling this way, even if she has the most at risk in terms of monetary value!

ponkle wrote:

This is totally random but as I read the earlier questions and answers the link from a song sung by Janis Joplin and written by Kris Kristofferson keeps going around in my mind :"Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose"

I  wonder if Gloria and Jerome take the risk to be a couple whether they would, in the end, be miserable due to all of the societal pressures, loss of family and friends, and inability to fit in anywhere.  When you give up everything for someone, you often end up feeling resentful and that ends up seeping into every facet of your relationship, destroying what you started out with.    I also  think that it would be more difficult on Jerome to be in a relationship with Gloria.  Just think about how Bastian referred to him as "boy" and how he treated him.  I certainly don't think that Bastian would be in the minority as far as those matters are concerned.  Sometimes true love is letting someone go because that's what's best for the other person.

b

I think this is why I didn't want to become invested in Jerome and Gloria, it would just be really hard for them to be together because of the era. I love the way you phraise it. :smileysad:

Jillian has given us such a wonderful book...,,Because we can see as readers,Jillian has put her Heart and Soul into "Vixen".And has opened up such emotional issues,I think we can discuss "Vixen" until "Ingenue "is released....The line from Janis Joplins song is so relevant ,thanks ponkle   I am invested in Gloria and Jeromes relationship more than I thought I would be.. I think with the new Generations that followed mine,I am a baby boomer..Acceptance and understanding of mixed relationships,I like to think that my generation opened some doors,but this is now,,They will be judged harshly. In the 1920's,NY.With Marcus attending Columbia,I think he is a good enough friend of Gloria's to be there for her..So many questions.. BTW Sarah..I think I saw Chicago at least 5 times and on Bway as well...We are now in a 1920's state of mind... Susan

NYC was nicknamed the "melting pot" when all the immigrants starting arriving at Ellis Island. I'm sure they would have lived in lower Manhattan and looked for work there too, blending in with everyone else.   Depending upon how demonstrative they were with each other in public, they could conceivable get away with being an interracial couple. 

Remember Frank Sinatra singing New York, New York and the lines "if you could make it anywhere, you could make it in New York" or something like that.  Susan, not only are we in a 1920's state of mind, but didn't Neil Diamond sing In A New York State of Mind?

literature wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

shmy wrote:

babzilla41 wrote:

Sarah-W wrote:

I was wondering who would be the first to bring this up! Gloria certainly seems to be feeling this way, even if she has the most at risk in terms of monetary value!

ponkle wrote:

This is totally random but as I read the earlier questions and answers the link from a song sung by Janis Joplin and written by Kris Kristofferson keeps going around in my mind :"Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose"

I  wonder if Gloria and Jerome take the risk to be a couple whether they would, in the end, be miserable due to all of the societal pressures, loss of family and friends, and inability to fit in anywhere.  When you give up everything for someone, you often end up feeling resentful and that ends up seeping into every facet of your relationship, destroying what you started out with.    I also  think that it would be more difficult on Jerome to be in a relationship with Gloria.  Just think about how Bastian referred to him as "boy" and how he treated him.  I certainly don't think that Bastian would be in the minority as far as those matters are concerned.  Sometimes true love is letting someone go because that's what's best for the other person.

b

I think this is why I didn't want to become invested in Jerome and Gloria, it would just be really hard for them to be together because of the era. I love the way you phraise it. :smileysad:

Jillian has given us such a wonderful book...,,Because we can see as readers,Jillian has put her Heart and Soul into "Vixen".And has opened up such emotional issues,I think we can discuss "Vixen" until "Ingenue "is released....The line from Janis Joplins song is so relevant ,thanks ponkle   I am invested in Gloria and Jeromes relationship more than I thought I would be.. I think with the new Generations that followed mine,I am a baby boomer..Acceptance and understanding of mixed relationships,I like to think that my generation opened some doors,but this is now,,They will be judged harshly. In the 1920's,NY.With Marcus attending Columbia,I think he is a good enough friend of Gloria's to be there for her..So many questions.. BTW Sarah..I think I saw Chicago at least 5 times and on Bway as well...We are now in a 1920's state of mind... Susan

NYC was nicknamed the "melting pot" when all the immigrants starting arriving at Ellis Island. I'm sure they would have lived in lower Manhattan and looked for work there too, blending in with everyone else.   Depending upon how demonstrative they were with each other in public, they could conceivable get away with being an interracial couple. 

Remember Frank Sinatra singing New York, New York and the lines "if you could make it anywhere, you could make it in New York" or something like that.  Susan, not only are we in a 1920's state of mind, but didn't Neil Diamond sing In A New York State of Mind?

Hi literature. and All....My Grandparents arrived on Ellis island,fortunately they had family in Brooklyn and also Kansas City,,Such a remarkable time..Being a NewYorker.a long time ago.but its still in my blood as some here can relate to..My vivid and Wonderful Memories are all in Manhattan...always a History Lesson....Now I have "New York ,New York in my head. lol.If Neil Diamond did sing it..I'm not sure..But can do a itunes search... I lived in Manhattan various area's and went to school there as well..Every Street has its History and Ghosts...Especially downtown...I hope some readers explore the 1920's.and 1930's..Jillian must know we Are Her Fan Base  It all starts here..So happy Paul brought you to FirstLook.  It intoduced so many of us to each other"Vixen" did that ;;Not that we are obsessed,   :  )but I must admit..I think we are so taken with your"Vixen" .This is your Thread Jillian  all of it The Whole Board actually.. I hope you visit us ..when you can..I won't say Goodbye...One of The Best FirstLooks..I have been involved in..Will check out RandomHouse and see what they have up on your site,,.Later Susan .   http://www.randomhouse.com/teens                    http://www.theflapperbooks.com     Hope these work...

Susan, I think you may have been the one some FL books ago, you said that you lived in a bulding in lower Manhattan that had tiling on the building.  If you are, then I have a picture of your building...it's still a very grand looking building.   I am so obsessed with Manhattan that every few years my company hosts a 4-day sales seminar and all the employees are videod introducing themselves with a brief history of their function and work history and mine always has the song bite playing in the background of New York, New York.   Just thought I'd share that with you.

Sheila

Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

In the beginning, I thought Clara would jump at the chance to go to her old ways.  She didn't and that surprised me.  I'm also glad. I agree with Clara about love.

I sure hope Gloria and Jerome have a happy ending.  They deserve it. 

Lorraine did suprise me by not telling Bastian about Gloria's secret.  Wow! But she did a doozy on Clara, showing her true vindictive colors.  I dislike her more and more. 

Frequent Contributor
librarysusie
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

librarysusie wrote:

I know I keep checking for the next thread to open for the rest of the book. I really enjoyed this one and can't wait for the next one!

I thought oh I'll just read up to pg. 355 then go to bed next thing I knew I was done with my jaw hanging down and it was 1 am!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Lil_Irish_Lass wrote:

Once I started, I couldn't put Vixen down and now I'm impatiently waiting to be able to read the next book in the series so I can found out what happens!!!

I'll be honest, I signed up for this book because it was free, I didn't think I was going to really like it, but man was I wrong! The story sucked me in on page one and even now that I've finished it still has me in it's grasp.

The characters were well developed and I could easily picture them jumping off the pages and in to real life. My only critique would be that they act and carry themselves MUCH older than their ages and I don't know how realistic that would be for that era and their age group.

My favorite story line is Clara and Marcus. Both are judged by their past actions, which aren't who they truly are. It seems fitting that they are finally able to be themselves only around each other.

Glad you were wrong LOL and liked" Vixen " It really was a Wonderful surprise,,And Now we have "Ingenue" to look forward to.and hopefully more of the The "Flapper Series Books by Jillian.".As young as The Girls are,they are able to portray themselves as "Very Mature" they think ,young ladies..They were also  exposed early on to a Lavish Lifestyle..Of course except for Clara..But  she is a fast learner..  ;  ) Such a wonderful era ''Jillian knows it so well"..Next week although many have finished ,we still have lots to discuss.Always a Cliffhanger.!!!..See you then....Susan...

Frequent Contributor
Superbookworm
0 Kudos

Immortal-Spirit wrote:

Lorraine did suprise me by not telling Bastian about Gloria's secret.  Wow! But she did a doozy on Clara, showing her true vindictive colors.  I dislike her more and more. 

My thoughts exactly! So not a Lorraine fan.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

librarysusie wrote:

Me too! I couldn't stop reading. I stayed up that night till I was finished, who cared about work. I had to know. But now I will wait for Ingenue, it is on my calendar to watch for it.

I feel that Gloria and Jerome have a lot to learn about each other, but also about how they grew up and how they each lived. All those things that don't enter your mind when you are young and in love.

Yes pen,young and in love. Jillian really captured those moments..I just saw the cover of Ingenue on you know that other place gr.. .We get to go Traveling with Marcus to Columbia Univ..and not sure where Gloria and Jerome will wind up.,uptown,downtown..maybe Jillian will give us a hint lol..

Contributor
AnnahE
0 Kudos

My goodness, there were bombshells in this part of the book!  Clara's miscarriage was one that I never saw coming.  She sure handled that ugly scene with grace and class.  Good for her!  Spitefull Lorraine hasn't changed a bit....and never will.  I so hope that Gloria and Jerome lead a happy life but I don't hold out hope for that.  I think that their relationship will end in heartache for both of them.  I realy enjoyed reading this book and I can't wait for the next installment!

Contributor
MissRabbit
0 Kudos

Immortal-Spirit wrote:

In the beginning, I thought Clara would jump at the chance to go to her old ways.  She didn't and that surprised me.  I'm also glad. I agree with Clara about love.

I sure hope Gloria and Jerome have a happy ending.  They deserve it. 

I agree with you about Lorraine, I really thought she would spill the beans on Glo. My respect for her increased just a little when she didn't end up saying anything. 

Clara is definitely the most surprising character in this book. I'm glad she was smart enough to know that "country Clara" wasn't ALL an act, parts of her were actually in there. I think she'll be a lot happier now that she has a better grasp of who she really is. 

Wordsmith
literature
0 Kudos

Jillian-Larkin wrote:

Hi literature. and All....My Grandparents arrived on Ellis island,fortunately they had family in Brooklyn and also Kansas City,,Such a remarkable time..Being a NewYorker.a long time ago.but its still in my blood as some here can relate to..My vivid and Wonderful Memories are all in Manhattan...always a History Lesson....Now I have "New York ,New York in my head. lol.If Neil Diamond did sing it..I'm not sure..But can do a itunes search... I lived in Manhattan various area's and went to school there as well..Every Street has its History and Ghosts...Especially downtown...I hope some readers explore the 1920's.and 1930's..Jillian must know we Are Her Fan Base  It all starts here..So happy Paul brought you to FirstLookIt intoduced so many of us to each other"Vixen" did that ;;Not that we are obsessed,   :  )but I must admit..I think we are so taken with your"Vixen" .This is your Thread Jillian  all of it The Whole Board actually.. I hope you visit us ..when you can..I won't say Goodbye...One of The Best FirstLooks..I have been involved in..Will check out RandomHouse and see what they have up on your site,,.Later Susan .   http://www.randomhouse.com/teens                    http://www.theflapperbooks.com     Hope these work...

Hi everyone! I can't repost everything on this thread so I just reposted Susan's last comment. I've so enjoyed following this entire thread--and of course just listened to "Me and Bobby McGee" by Janis JoplinI actually got a tiny bit teary-eyed reading all your insights about Gloria and Jerome, and New York City. Before I ever felt like I had the ability to describe anything visually or string a plot together, writing was all about the characters. So to watch all of you form the same attachments to the characters that I have while writing ... it may be the most amazing feeling in the world.

And New York really is just one big history lesson waiting to be learned. I'm so grateful that much of my research for INGENUE has been as easy as taking the subway to Brooklyn Heights and walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, or wandering around the places I go all the time in Manhattan--my old Greenwich Village stomping ground near NYU, Herald Square, Grand Central Station--and wondering what they must have been like almost a century ago. I've wanted to live in New York since I was a little girl and I'm so glad life's worked out in such a way that it's been possible for me to do so.

Thanks so much, you guys!

-Jillian

Hi Jillian,

Talking about getting teary eyed.  That's the effect your post had on me.  I'm very happy for you.  We all must be some ego boost for you!  Talk about nuturing!  Did we give you enough confidence to go on and on with your series?  I saw the cover for Ingenue and WOW. 

Talking about New York being one big history lesson.  I go back quite a few years and I remember the trolley and being in awe when riding in it.  I remember coal being delivered so we would have heat, the sharpener truck coming around to sharpen our knives and the ice man delivering ice for our ice boxes.  I remember watching the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway being built.  I don't know if you've been in Manhattan recently but the defunct high line (train) that used to make the flour and grain deliveries from midtown to Chelsea Market where Nabisco did all their baking early 1900's has now been made into an elevated park.  Park benches, trees, grass, tons of wild flowers and a photo opt haven for bridal pictures.  A lot of the original track is still there and very inconspicuously worked into the walkways.  If you look real carefully, you will see it.  There's a small tunnel you walk through that has a different bell that rings every minute and then on the o'clock all 60 of them ring together.  What an experience!  A number of years ago when Barnes & Noble had BNU (Barnes & Noble University) there was a class conducted by David Dunbar about how the people shaped and formed NYC.  We used his 1,000 page book, Empire City, New York through the Centuries for reading and discussions.  It spanned about 400 years and some very amazing reads.  The Ric Burns PBS series New York:  A Documentary Film is another very good source.

Sheila

Correspondent
nicole21WA
0 Kudos

I'm not sure what to post!  You see, I absolutely could not stop where we were scheduled to.  There was no way I could finally find out Clara's secret and just say, "So she had a baby.  Guess I'll find out the rest another day."

One comment I can make without spoiling anything is that I wasn't initially blown away by Clara's pregnancy.  You see, I kept forgetting what decade I was reading about.  Even though Prohibition should have kept reminding me, I kept thinking they couldn't drink because of their ages rather than that no one could drink. Goes to show that the misadventures of teens are kind of universal!  

Contributor
gabi823
0 Kudos

I do believe the quote on love, I think it is better to go for it than live a life of regret or "What if's". Althogh I must say that in this case it seems there is a lot more to consider than just love because it wasn't common for inter-racial couples in the 1920's so it was a bit controversial. But all in all I think Gloria will make the right decision. I think that Gloria and Jerome would struggle no matter where they are, love is wonderful but I think they will have a much harder time than Gloria is used to and that may put a strain on their relationship, I don't think it will last long term.

The revelations about Clara really did surprise me because I didn't expect her previous relationship to be so intimate and scandalous. I felt really bad for her that Lorraine told everyone about her past and exposed some very personal and hurtful information. I wasn't surprised to see that Lorraine was not the one who told Bastian as I didn't think it was her anyways. I really began to dislike Lorraine after this section, all along I thought she was just struggling in Gloria's shadow but now I truly believe she is just nasty and vindictive and she deserves whatever happens to her!

Contributor
rebecca_herman
0 Kudos

I don't like Lorraine either! I can't say I really care what happens to her or if she ends up happy because her character is annoying me (but maybe it's supposed to?)

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

literature wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

shmy wrote:

babzilla41 wrote:

Sarah-W wrote:

ponkle wrote:

b

literature wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

shmy wrote:

babzilla41 wrote:

Sarah-W wrote:

ponkle wrote:

b

Hi literature. and All....My Grandparents arrived on Ellis island,fortunately they had family in Brooklyn and also Kansas City,,Such a remarkable time..Being a NewYorker.a long time ago.but its still in my blood as some here can relate to..My vivid and Wonderful Memories are all in Manhattan...always a History Lesson....Now I have "New York ,New York in my head. lol.If Neil Diamond did sing it..I'm not sure..But can do a itunes search... I lived in Manhattan various area's and went to school there as well..Every Street has its History and Ghosts...Especially downtown...I hope some readers explore the 1920's.and 1930's..Jillian must know we Are Her Fan Base  It all starts here..So happy Paul brought you to FirstLook.  It intoduced so many of us to each other"Vixen" did that ;;Not that we are obsessed,   :  )but I must admit..I think we are so taken with your"Vixen" .This is your Thread Jillian  all of it The Whole Board actually.. I hope you visit us ..when you can..I won't say Goodbye...One of The Best FirstLooks..I have been involved in..Will check out RandomHouse and see what they have up on your site,,.Later Susan .   http://www.randomhouse.com/teens                    http://www.theflapperbooks.com     Hope these work...

Susan, I think you may have been the one some FL books ago, you said that you lived in a bulding in lower Manhattan that had tiling on the building.  If you are, then I have a picture of your building...it's still a very grand looking building.   I am so obsessed with Manhattan that every few years my company hosts a 4-day sales seminar and all the employees are videod introducing themselves with a brief history of their function and work history and mine always has the song bite playing in the background of New York, New York.   Just thought I'd share that with you.

Sheila

Hi Sheila..It wasn't me,I did live on the Upper West Side though,not far from The Dakota...Its such a special city..Since moving to Vermont,I have been back a few times..It will always be Beautiful to me..Love your stories..It has amazed me how many different age groups are reading and Loving "Vixen"..We all can relate and understand ...Next week will be Great..Glad we have the time on BN to spend it with Jillian..I know she will be secretive about "Ingenue"..We are all in that"Cliffhanger" mode''..The cover is Gorgeous,imagining the story........Best  Susan

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

flouncyninja stated:

I think Harris showing up at the engagement party is a tiny bit more proof that he knows Bastian in some way, though perhaps politicians regularly crashed high society engagement parties for people they didn't know so they could have a free snack.  I think it's more likely that he knows someone other than Clara at that party and had a way in.

Since your convinced that Harris knows Bastian consider about the notes he was sending?  How hard would it have been to get notes to the Carmody household?  There was a connection there as well-likely?

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

TO LorettaP:

Gloria is still my favorite character and I am rooting for her and Jerome

:smileyhappy:

I like that!  I am rooting for both of them as well.  They can stand a chance if the circumstances are right and that would be in the minority community; yet Gloria would likely not excel at whatever her heart is set for. . . .  

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color