Sarah-W

Vixen Discussion: The Rest of Part I p.145 - 271

[ Edited ]

Hello All, 

Thanks for the great discussion!

The second half of Part I contains a lot of action and surprises:

Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke? Meanwhile, the mysterious notes continue until the sender reveals himself during Gloria's debut singing at the Green Mill.

Gloria is sneaking around to rehearse with Jerome for her debut at the Green Mill. She definitely has feelings for Jerome, but knows her family would never approve. She must also contend with Jerome's jealous sister Vera who wants Gloria as far away from her brother as possible.

Lorraine's envy is eating her alive. Her provocative behavior has gained the attention Carlito Macharelli, the son of the gangster who owns the Green Mill. She's also managed to get herself into a compromising position with Gloria's fiance Bastian. Will she get even with Gloria? Or just ruin herself in the process?

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad? Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified? Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?

Author Jill Larkin joins us this week, so please welcome her to the board! 

dhaupt

Re: Vixen Discussion: The Rest of Part I p.145 - 271

Thanks for the great questions Sarah. I am enjoying this fascinating novel very much.

I have to say WOW to the revelations.

I don't know that I'm surprised by Clara's Cad, she was apparently the cat's meow in NY.

Vera I don't think is unrealistic in her protection of Jerome, she sees that nothing but bad could come out of a relationship with Gloria wether they know she's a Chicago socialite in the making or not.

I'm wondering if in her inebriated state Lorraine didn't spill the beans on Gloria, but I'm also wondering if Bastien with his high horsed opinion of what his wife and fiancé should act like would have her followed and investigated. The jury's still out on what I think about that yet but I am leaning toward Lorraine spilling the beans.

Clara is still and enigma to me, she seems to be two different people and I'm not sure who the real Clara is. I know she's not the country mouse, and I know she's afraid of being hurt by another man, but is she honest with herself about what she wants. Does she want to be the meek and mild Clara that she's projecting here or does she miss the wild Clara of NY. I'm not sure yet. And more why and how did PA Clara become NY Clara. What happened to turn her in that direction.

Ah the plot thickens :-)

Inspired Contributor
Zia01
0 Kudos

Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke? Meanwhile, the mysterious notes continue until the sender reveals himself during Gloria's debut singing at the Green Mill. I think Marcus's feelings might just be real for Clara. At least that's the feeling I am getting. I could be fooled however :smileyhappy: The sender does reveal himself but we're still left wondering just what the heck is going on. I sure do want to know though!

Gloria is sneaking around to rehearse with Jerome for her debut at the Green Mill. She definitely has feelings for Jerome, but knows her family would never approve. She must also contend with Jerome's jealous sister Vera who wants Gloria as far away from her brother as possible. I can understand his sisters reservations. In that era, it would destroy both him and her and Gloria. I have to wonder now that the cat's out of the bag with Bastain, what is going to happen in the next segment.

Lorraine's envy is eating her alive. Her provocative behavior has gained the attention Carlito Macharelli, the son of the gangster who owns the Green Mill. She's also managed to get herself into a compromising position with Gloria's fiance Bastian. Will she get even with Gloria? Or just ruin herself in the process?  I almost think Lorraine has met her perfect man in the gangster's son Carlito. They seem like two peas in a pod. I want to like her and I know somewhere deep down, is a good person, but I think there's too much muddled above that.

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad? Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified? Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill? Like I said earlier, for that era, Vera has good reason's to be protective. I have no clue who tipped Bastain off, but I sure do want to know. As for Clara's cad, I figured he was high powered but I don't think I know just yet what to think. He still scares me.

Scribe
DSaff

[ Edited ]

The plot thickens! <grin> This section was full of information and surprises. I have only read up to page 271, and here are some of my thoughts.

Clara - I don't think she has really changed. She is still playing a "Country Clara" game, but the drinking and desire to dress as a flapper along with the memories of NYC, make her want her old life. She enjoyed that life and is being made to play a role that feels untrue to her. The notes continued to the crescendo of the meeting at the speakeasy. She still loves this man, and that is very obvious. He seems to be a cad, but the question remains - does he care at all for her or was she just a possession to him? It would be nice to find that even though they had a rocky past, maybe he cares and they can build something pleasant together. (I know, ever the optimist. LOL) I think that her "playing both ends against the middle" days are coming to an end.

Lorraine - This free-spirit is really over her head. Bastian! Where did that come from? She needs to stay away from that snake. Now her relationship with Gloria is shattered because Gloria blames her for Bastian coming to the club. Since Lorraine didn't do it, I wonder who did. It seems that Gloria has either an enemy out there she doesn't know about, or maybe someone who cares that she doesn't get stuck in a life with gangsters. Either way, Lorraine isn't guilty, at least in my opinion. She needs someone to step in and help her get her life on track - away from the booze and club life. But, there is Carlito. Will she follow him into his world, or back away into her own?

Gloria - Her desire to please everyone is making her crazy. While she "needs" to marry Bastian to keep money and her family name safe, it is absolutely clear that they should not be together. When he threatens to keep her in the house all the time if she "misbehaves" after they are married, I hoped she would get up and slap him. But, she didn't. She just continued sneaking out to practice and sing. Jerome makes her tingle, and I think that it is the danger that continues to draw her to him. Does she really feel anything for him? Maybe, but he represents everything her family stands against - interracial relationship, working man, speakeasy, etc. I think rebellion has something to do with it. Now, Bastian finds her singing and drags her from the club. Then she blames her best friend for the fiasco. It is time for Gloria to put up or shut up about Bastian and the life she says she wants, and about her dreams. She needs to stop burning bridges. These are very tough lessons to learn!

Vera - I actually like her character. She is very protective of her brother and thinks of Gloria as a threat. Jerome doesn't need to be used by anyone right now, least of all a white girl singer, and Vera lets Gloria know she is watching her. But, will Gloria heed her advice?

Bastian - What a cad! He deserves to be alone.

Marcus - I think he has fallen for Clara, truly fallen. The master plan has backfired and he found someone he likes and cares for. I wonder how he will fight for Clara in the wake of "the cad" arriving on the scene. He continues to impress me as someone who isn't as secure as he presents. In my opinion, he is living a life everyone expects and thinks, not really letting people see who he really is.

I am also concerned about the lack of real parental relationships and supervision in our story. They are either out all the time, or pinning their hopes on their children. These kids, Marcus included, are running wild, and no one seems to care. I hope it doesn't take one of their death's to make people wake up!

Sadly, I think Marcus tipped Bastian off about Gloria singing at the club, and I think it was because he is trying to protect her. Bad choice.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
Lavasoap

I definitely enjoyed the second discussion section; it was really hard to stop reading!

I think Lorraine will ruin herself.  She had the opportunity to hurt Gloria when she went to Bastian and she didn't, which shows that while she has been heading down a bad path she's not gone over the edge yet and just may redeem herself.  I think she feels bad for herself and blames others, but she doesn't seem to have the drive to completely turn against them.  I keep hoping she'll turn around, but I fear the worst for her future.

I loved the end of part one-it has me on the edge of my seat!  I figured Clara's cad would be more mob-related and can't wait to find out the details to her past.  She really seems to have had an exciting life in NY.  I hope we discover what pushed her to it, because it definitely doesn't go with the 'Country Clara' that I think is based in her pre-NY life.  She's not just acting, so much as returning to her roots with this persona. 

As for Vera, her protectiveness is definitely justified!  Her brother seems to be a fairly good guy from what has been revealed so far and I wouldn't want my brother taken in by the glamour of the attention the white girls pour on him.  She definitely has his best interests at heart and I think knows that a lot of these girls are rich and see this as an adventure in which Jerome is just a bit-player. 

I'm thinking either Bastian was smart enough to see through Lorraine's bad acting or after he kissed her and plied her with liquor he got her to spill the beans, though I'm really hoping she didn't!  My hope is that someone he knows let it slip to him that she was there.  He obviously has some kind of connections since he has his own stash.

Welcome to the discussion Jillian!  Your debut has been smashing.  You should be very proud of your work and we can't wait to hear juicy tidbits about the character's development and how they drove you to tell their story!

Inspired Correspondent
Immortal-Spirit
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

Hello All, 

Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke? Meanwhile, the mysterious notes continue until the sender reveals himself during Gloria's debut singing at the Green Mill.
It seems that Marcus really likes Clara.  I wonder what happens now that the guy from Clara's makes himself known. 

Gloria is sneaking around to rehearse with Jerome for her debut at the Green Mill. She definitely has feelings for Jerome, but knows her family would never approve. She must also contend with Jerome's jealous sister Vera who wants Gloria as far away from her brother as possible.

Lorraine's envy is eating her alive. Her provocative behavior has gained the attention Carlito Macharelli, the son of the gangster who owns the Green Mill. She's also managed to get herself into a compromising position with Gloria's fiance Bastian. Will she get even with Gloria? Or just ruin herself in the process?

I'm hoping for ruin.  She's very vindictive.

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad? Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified? Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?

I was surprised by the identity.  I didn't think he'd be such a well known man.  Lorraine is the obvious choice as the rat, but it's too obvious.  We'll see. 

Author Jill Larkin joins us this week, so please welcome her to the board! 

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

Hello All, 

Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke? 
I feel that Marcus has genuine feelings for Clara - although she puts on the country Clara persona, she has moments when she lets her guard down...I think he started out following the "plan" to get her to scandalize herself to drive her out of town, but fell for her....
Meanwhile, the mysterious notes continue until the sender reveals himself during Gloria's debut singing at the Green Mill.

I can understand why Vera feels protective of her brother under the circumstances. There is obviously a great deal of racial tension and separation in their world.

Ultimately, Lorraine is hurting herself by her actions though she may hurt others around her in the process as well....

Based on what we have learned about Clara's experiences in NY - no I'm not surprised by the identity of her cad.

I do feel that Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified. (see above)

I can't imagine who would have tipped off Bastian about Gloria's singing at the Green Mill, other than Lorraine. But, I guess we have to wait and see!

The story is certainly heating up in a major way! Can't wait to read what happens next!

Hello Jill Larkin! Thank you again for sharing your wonderful & exciting novel with us! As you can see, we are enjoying it so very much here!

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

wow - I didn't really think of that possibility but maybe it WAS Marcus.  I can see that....

DSaff wrote:

Sadly, I think Marcus tipped Bastian off about Gloria singing at the club, and I think it was because he is trying to protect her. Bad choice.

Contributor
gabi823
0 Kudos

This book just keeps getting better, this round I couldn't put it down and read ahead, LOL. I was very excited to finally learn who Clara's cad was, I am excited to see where that story line goes, does he just leave town or does he become a thorn in her side and interfere with her possible budding romance with Marcus. Clara still remains quite a mystery to me, but I am loving the dynamics of her personality.

I think Vera has a definite right to butt into her brothers life and be protective. If Jerome and Gloria had a romantic relationship it really affects both families very much as interracial dating in the 20's was a huge taboo. I think it is only natural that Vera would look out for her brothers best interests.

As far as Bastian I am not sure who tipped him off, I believe Lorraine when she said she didn't. Maybe in was Clara's Cad, rich people seem to stick together and we know he was following Clara so he would know where Gloria was going? I don't know just a theory....I am enjoying the not being able to figure things out in this book! It keeps me reading as often as I can!

Contributor
JGriffin
0 Kudos

I wasn't too surprised by the identity of Clara's cad; it was obvious that she was hanging around rich circles. She described some of the gifts that she had been given and it sounded like she was dealing with the richer crowd.

I think Vera is worried about her brother getting hurt, and not just his feelings. With the times they are living in, it would be especially difficult for a black man to be hanging out with a white woman, much less dating one.  Also, Gloria is the fiance to a very powerful person, and to make that kind of enemy could be extremely dangerous to one's health.

I don't have a clue who would have tipped off Bastien. I would think Lorraine maybe, but even her I don't see doing that. Maybe one of Bastien's friends was at the club and saw Gloria?

Welcome Jill!!! Really enjoying the book so far!

Inspired Correspondent
ponkle

I'd like to say a big Welcome to Jill Larkin. You've managed to write a book that really brings an era alive with mystery, romance and self revelation. I really think this book appeals not only to teens but adults as well (I'm a young 58). I want to thank you for writing a book in an era that I don't usually read and making it a can't put down book.

Everyone is answering the questions so well I'd like to say something else. I find that although we're in the flapper era here , I think the story and the problems and the things the girls do and want are the same in any time just different because of the time period. Even though women have gained in what they can do now there are still double standards, still wants for what we don't have, the grass is always greener jealousy, still cads, still choices of good girl vs "bad".  I think Jill you have written all this is a just wonderful book. I love a book I can relate to my life even though we're in a different time period.

Also just on a different slant I love that you named him Bastian and was wondering how you come to use certain names. Do you feel that certain names go with certain personalitys or is it random?

Thanks again

Karen

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Quotes

Here are three quotes that stood out to me in this section. I would be interested hear what others think about them.

"Getting to know these boring girls, and their equally boring parents, was the dregs. There was no jazz, no excitement, and no men. At least, no men with boyfriend potential." Clara's thoughts, pg. 146 (Will the real Clara please stand up.)

"Maybe, Lorraine had to admit, what mad her a sometime embarrassment among the other Chicago debs -- her brashness, her say-it-as-it-is attitude -- made her perfect for this world of gangsters and gin, of flappers and jazz. Gloria was trying desperately to belong, but Lorraine truly did belong. Didn't she?" Lorraine's thoughts, pg. 177 ( insecurity; dangerous attitude)

"'You have to stop thinking about me like that, Marcus. For your own good." Though she knew it was exactly the opposite. She wasn't a man-eater anymore; she was afraid. She went to the door, opened it, and gestured for him to leave. 'I'll only cause you trouble.'" Clara to Marcus, pg. 215 (trying to protect him; she may be falling for him)

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
0 Kudos

Well, we had a LOT of questions answered but now we have to wait to see how our new questions will be answered!  I am really enjoying this read.  I have also enjoyed reading everyone's comments so far....

My current question is - do I stop on page 271 (I did put the book down this morning...) or do I keep going.....  Can't decide!

Keep posting your unique insights!

*I was appalled at how Bastian pulled Gloria off that stage....  I wanted her to keep singing!

Becky in IN

Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
0 Kudos

"Bastian - What a cad! He deserves to be alone."

I COMPLETELY agree Donna S!!!!

Becky in IN

Frequent Contributor
Becktrek
0 Kudos

Re: Quotes

Those quotes all caught my eye as well Donna, but this one by Lorraine really caught my attention:

Page 173 when Lorraine was trying to get into The Green Mill after following Gloria in the car:

"If you let me inside, I won't be alone" (Lorraine to the "eye" in the door).

"All right" the Eye said. "There's always room for a working girl"

"Lorraine didn't really know what he meant by that - working girl? She had a trust fund' she'd never worked a day in her life!"

I couldn't believe she didn't know what he meant by that - with all the pretense she puts up that she is so worldly and flapper-like.  And then when Carlito pays attention to her she thinks it's due to her "sophistication".  Am I wrong in thinking that he ALSO thinks she is a working girl and someone he can pick up?  What do you all think?  Am I reading too much into this?  Attention from Carlito can only be major trouble IMO!

Becky in IN

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Quotes

No, you aren't alone, Becky. I, too, was astonished that Clara didn't know what a "working girl" was. It is hard to know why she didn't understand. Maybe she and her friends only partied through connections, and maybe that is why she didn't understand any break up's she had experienced. I hope we get more of an idea in the third section.  :smileyhappy:

Becktrek wrote:

Those quotes all caught my eye as well Donna, but this one by Lorraine really caught my attention:

Page 173 when Lorraine was trying to get into The Green Mill after following Gloria in the car:

"If you let me inside, I won't be alone" (Lorraine to the "eye" in the door).

"All right" the Eye said. "There's always room for a working girl"

"Lorraine didn't really know what he meant by that - working girl? She had a trust fund' she'd never worked a day in her life!"

I couldn't believe she didn't know what he meant by that - with all the pretense she puts up that she is so worldly and flapper-like.  And then when Carlito pays attention to her she thinks it's due to her "sophistication".  Am I wrong in thinking that he ALSO thinks she is a working girl and someone he can pick up?  What do you all think?  Am I reading too much into this?  Attention from Carlito can only be major trouble IMO!

Becky in IN

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Me too! I wanted him to get hit and for Gloria to exert some independence. But, he got away with it. He wants total and complete control to keep up his "good boy" image. What a fake!

Becktrek wrote:

*I was appalled at how Bastian pulled Gloria off that stage....  I wanted her to keep singing!

Becky in IN

Contributor
WickedAK
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

Hello All, 

I believe Marcus is being genuine, I honestly feel he's falling for Clara, but not Country Clara, he sees deeper than what she's acting. This relationship could get interesting if he sticks by her.

Glora is doing her own thing. GOOD FOR HER! Regardless of how much trouble she knows she's going to be in with her Fiance, mother, and society she's still doing what she wants too do.

Lorraine I feel with do whatever it takes to make somebody look worse than she already does. I'm honestly hoping for COMPLETE ruin she deserves no better.

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I?

I'm LOVING this book, the story just won't let you go. I think the characters and plots are all coming together for a big finish which I just can't wait to get too!!

Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad?

Clara was big in NY, his identity did not surprise me, curious to see how far he'll go though. He may try too ruin Clara's new life just to get her back. I hope not though..

Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified?

Yes! Jerome worked hard to get where he is and a white rich girl could potentially ruin it all. But at the same time Gloria could be the best thing that ever happened to him. Vera will do what she thinks is right to protect her brother.

Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?

Lorraine! She had too, her jealousy is eating her from the inside, she would do anything to bring Gloria down.

Alicia  :smileywink:

Contributor
thecatsmeowAM
0 Kudos

I think Marcus does really like Clara.  But I won't be surprised if I am wrong!  I think it started as a joke, but Marcus is lonely and finds honesty in Clara.  Which is ironic, since she isn't really being honest with him at all. 

I don't like how harsh Jerome is with her.  I am not sure that his feelings for her are true yet.  I think Gloria has been sheltered and finds something provocative and exciting in Jerome, but I am not sure she is strong enough to follow her feelings and defy her upbringing and family.

I dislike Loraine very much and find her so juvenile and jealous!  I hated that she kissed Bastian and went to tell on Clara.  Despite this though, I don't think she is the one who tipped off Bastian about Clara.  I am still not sure who did that.

I am so glad that the cad is finally revealed!  The suspence leading up to him was great.  I am surprised about him.  I thought he was going to be a gangster type character.  Not a wealthy politician son.  So I am anxious for more about this and to find out what happens.

I am still enjoying this book a lot and hate putting it down each week, but didn't want to read ahead.  I am glad I am go home tonight and finish it if I want!

Contributor
melNaac
0 Kudos

This book is sucking me more and more! I am neglecting my other chores because I want to just sit down and read! Haha. I guess I wasn't surprised by Clara's cad because she had such a big secret I knew it had to be something... Especially since she ran away from it! Not sure about Vera's protectiveness of her brother. Maybe she just doesn't want him to get hurt, like she has seen it before? Or she knows that society will not accept them if they do get together. Or, she doesn't want any distractions from his music? No clue who tipped Bastian off about the Green Mill, maybe he had a hunch or he followed her? Seriously, for an engaged couple they don't really know much about each other and they do not hang out very often! I understand it isn't a typical engagement but if it were me and I was in those circumstances I would make myself at least try to get to know him and find things I do like about him.