Frequent Contributor
lcnh1

Re: Vixen Discussion: The Rest of Part I p.145 - 271

This is the one thing that I have noticed about the book so far.  Even though it is set in an era that I am not familiar with, I am familiar with the problems and issues that go with being a teenage girl.  You want to fit in, your parents have no clue and expect you to behave like they did at your age.  You are trying to find out who you are and what you are going to do with the rest of your life.

Goria is being forced into the role of society wife when she really wants to sing.  I think she goes into this knowing that she will eventually get caught but at least she will have a little bit of fun.  I don't think she realizes the possible consequences of her actions - like most teenagers.

Lorraine is just horrid.  She thinks only of herself but in her mind her actions are justified because she thinks Gloria is pulling away from her. 

I haven't figured Clara out yet.  She misses her old life but I think she is starting to grow up a little.  I wasn't surprised that her cad was well known but I didn't think that it was him that was passing along the notes.

ponkle wrote:

I'd like to say a big Welcome to Jill Larkin. You've managed to write a book that really brings an era alive with mystery, romance and self revelation. I really think this book appeals not only to teens but adults as well (I'm a young 58). I want to thank you for writing a book in an era that I don't usually read and making it a can't put down book.

Everyone is answering the questions so well I'd like to say something else. I find that although we're in the flapper era here , I think the story and the problems and the things the girls do and want are the same in any time just different because of the time period. Even though women have gained in what they can do now there are still double standards, still wants for what we don't have, the grass is always greener jealousy, still cads, still choices of good girl vs "bad".  I think Jill you have written all this is a just wonderful book. I love a book I can relate to my life even though we're in a different time period.

Also just on a different slant I love that you named him Bastian and was wondering how you come to use certain names. Do you feel that certain names go with certain personalitys or is it random?

Thanks again

Karen

Correspondent
1archi1
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

Hello All, 

Thanks for the great discussion!

The second half of Part I contains a lot of action and surprises:

Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke? Meanwhile, the mysterious notes continue until the sender reveals himself during Gloria's debut singing at the Green Mill.

I would like to think Marcus's feelings are genuine, at least I hope they are.

Lorraine's envy is eating her alive. Her provocative behavior has gained the attention Carlito Macharelli, the son of the gangster who owns the Green Mill. She's also managed to get herself into a compromising position with Gloria's fiance Bastian. Will she get even with Gloria? Or just ruin herself in the process?

I think Lorraine will try and get even with Gloria but I think she will ruin herself in the process.  I don't think she fully thinks things thru before doing them, which in return, don't seem to work out the way she thinks they will.  Sometimes it seems she lives in a fantasy world. 

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad? Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified? Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?

I wasn't really surprised because I figured it was someone important.  I will be interested to see what exactly he has in store for Clara. 

I think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified because of the time period.  Gloria and Jerome being together could be bad for both of them in the 20s.

I have no clue who tipped off Bastian, but I am kind of leaning toward Clara or Marcus.  I think Clara has a new found respect for Gloria and may not want to see Gloria ruin her life in a loveless marriage and be stuck.  Marcus is also Gloria's best friend and wouldn't want to see her getting hurt either.

I really wanted to stay with the schedule but I don't think I can stop myself from reading further, so I will have to read on :smileyhappy:

:smileyhappy:
Correspondent
southrnbella
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke? Meanwhile, the mysterious notes continue until the sender reveals himself during Gloria's debut singing at the Green Mill.
I think marcus feelings are true but Clara knows about the bet so she is confused about whether he is acting or being genuine but obviously when he said our first date...he meant something real.When the sender of the notes shows up at the Green Mill its a relief to find out who it is but there is still alot to revealed i think..

Lorraine's envy is eating her alive. Her provocative behavior has gained the attention Carlito Macharelli, the son of the gangster who owns the Green Mill. She's also managed to get herself into a compromising position with Gloria's fiance Bastian. Will she get even with Gloria? Or just ruin herself in the process?

I think what she has done is only digging herself into a deeper hole...i remember reading after the scandlous night with bastian that she was going to tell Gloria and Gloria saying "if Bastian ever touched another girl, I would get a gun and shoot him dead. and the girl too." So now that Gloria thinks Lorriane told on her about the singing gig, if she found out about that it would only make things worse. Also the attention from a mob member is never a good thing. If she gets even with Gloria what will it eventually cost her in the end?

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad? Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified? Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?

I understand Vera's protectiveness its her brother and she doesn't want anything to happen to him or his job. Im in the dark about who tipped off Bastian, I mean the only people that knew were Marcus, Raine, and Clara. Raine said she didn't do it but she could be lying. I mean in the heat of the night with bastian things could of slipped out. Marcus could have but I don't see any logic to why. With Clara she had anwsered the phone and found out that way and I can see her telling to look good infront of the family but she was going along with them to the speakeasy so wouldn't she have gotten caught as well...So im stumped...

Peace n Page Turners
http://live2lovebooks.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
cubicleblindnessKM
0 Kudos

My heart was pounding really fast when all the action took place at the end of part 1. I could not stop reading and read all the way through to the end. I was saddened to see Gloria's first night ruined, I also thought she would have a couple of shows before the end, but the drama was wonderful! I can't say that I was too surprised about Clara's Cad, but was excited to see him finally show his face and for who he was the letter passing earlier in the book seemed kinda childish. But did bring in some good suspense in previous chapters. I do think that Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified, especially in the 1920's whereas they are different races.  I also think she kind of hints with her protectiveness that maybe Jerome has fallen for a lot of girls and got hurt before, she's just doing what any sister would do. I still think that it was Lorraine that tipped off Bastian, it still reads as if she does not remember what happened the night she went to his house because she was so drunk. She should feel guilty for going over there at all, and drinking, of course a mess is to ensue. This is also the part were you start seeing what type of person Bastian is.

Frequent Contributor
cubicleblindnessKM

I kinda thought that Bastian deserves to be with Lorraine.

Frequent Contributor
cubicleblindnessKM
0 Kudos

Inich1 wrote: This is the one thing that I have noticed about the book so far.  Even though it is set in an era that I am not familiar with, I am familiar with the problems and issues that go with being a teenage girl.  You want to fit in, your parents have no clue and expect you to behave like they did at your age.  You are trying to find out who you are and what you are going to do with the rest of your life.

I have to say that I agree with this statement completely. Not only was I familiar with all of the feelings and actions these girls were taking I myself acted these ways when I was a teenagerin the 1990's. I always felt like a Gloria trying to make the right decisions for everybody and not feeling "free". I was a Clara when I started a new high school and could be anybody I wanted to be. I was also a Lorraine sometimes and let my jealousy over-rule my behavior with friends. I think that Jillian did a great job with all of these characters. I hope there is a a lot more of Bastian and Vera in the next book!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Ah, the plot does thicken and we find out who has been sending Clara all those notes. I wonder what will happen next. I don't think Clara is concerned with Marcus so much. She has other problems on her agenda. The man that has been sending her notes is revealed and evidently, he is quite rich and a catch. She evidently wants nothing to do with him now. The book doesn't reveal why she broke up with him and it really needs to be told. Clara continues with her country mouse ways and tries to help Gloria.

Gloria does have feelings for Jerome and his sister is protective of him. Gloria knows her mother would never approve of Jerome so Gloria has to be careful in concealing her emotions.

Lorraine is in a mess,,,, she did get into a compromising position with Bastion and probably told him of Gloria's intentions of singing at the speakeasy. She is also being blamed by Gloria for that mistake as she doesn't want to talk to her.

Lorraine is catching the attention of Carlito at the speakeasy. It's something to be concerned about as to what part do these gangsters have in the book. Will something happen in the end involving them?

Lorraine, in my opinion will ruin herself. I don't think she will need any help. What she has done to Gloria was a start to that process and it will be hard to recover from it. Gloria can't trust her anymore and at the moment, she doesn't want to speak to Lorraine.

Evidently, the notes were not coming from the lady in the prologue, which makes it even more mysterious. I'm thinking about Vera and how much she wants to protect her brother. Could she be a possibility?

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
Wendy-Loggia
0 Kudos

You will get your wish when you read INGENUE . . . :smileyhappy:

Contributor
heatburg
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm really glad the note-writer has finally appeared.  I have to be honest--that subplot was starting to wear thin for me, so I'm glad to see it progressing.  I am still eager to find out exactly what happened between Clara and her ex, though.

Also interested to see what happens between Gloria, her mom, and Sebastian now that her activities have come to light.  How did Sebastian find out?  And why was everyone so quick to assume Lorraine is the one who spilled the beans?  Perhaps because she and Clara were the only ones who knew, and they didn't think Clara could/would say anything.  And Marcus, too, I guess--maybe he turned the blame on Lorraine to detract suspicion from himself.  Or does someone else know?  And will there be any mob-related repercussions for Gloria and/or Jerome, since she has run out on the gig?

These are the things I'm really wondering about now, as I dive into the next part of the book.

Contributor
Wendy-Loggia

Yes, this is one of the reasons I wanted to publish this book . . . . the flappers' stories are universal, and readers will see that although it's a different era, hopes and dreams, worries and concerns remain timeless. These heroines are completely relatable to young women today . . . and it's an awful lot of fun to read about slinky flapper dresses, 1920s Chicago, and mob bosses!
lcnh1 wrote:

This is the one thing that I have noticed about the book so far.  Even though it is set in an era that I am not familiar with, I am familiar with the problems and issues that go with being a teenage girl.  You want to fit in, your parents have no clue and expect you to behave like they did at your age.  You are trying to find out who you are and what you are going to do with the rest of your life.

Goria is being forced into the role of society wife when she really wants to sing.  I think she goes into this knowing that she will eventually get caught but at least she will have a little bit of fun.  I don't think she realizes the possible consequences of her actions - like most teenagers.

Lorraine is just horrid.  She thinks only of herself but in her mind her actions are justified because she thinks Gloria is pulling away from her. 

I haven't figured Clara out yet.  She misses her old life but I think she is starting to grow up a little.  I wasn't surprised that her cad was well known but I didn't think that it was him that was passing along the notes.

ponkle wrote:

I'd like to say a big Welcome to Jill Larkin. You've managed to write a book that really brings an era alive with mystery, romance and self revelation. I really think this book appeals not only to teens but adults as well (I'm a young 58). I want to thank you for writing a book in an era that I don't usually read and making it a can't put down book.

Everyone is answering the questions so well I'd like to say something else. I find that although we're in the flapper era here , I think the story and the problems and the things the girls do and want are the same in any time just different because of the time period. Even though women have gained in what they can do now there are still double standards, still wants for what we don't have, the grass is always greener jealousy, still cads, still choices of good girl vs "bad".  I think Jill you have written all this is a just wonderful book. I love a book I can relate to my life even though we're in a different time period.

Also just on a different slant I love that you named him Bastian and was wondering how you come to use certain names. Do you feel that certain names go with certain personalitys or is it random?

Thanks again

Karen

Contributor
MissRabbit
0 Kudos

Something makes me think Vera may have done it. She had an obvious distaste for Gloria from the very beginning. It was mentioned more than once that Gloria and Bastian's picture had been in the paper announcing their engagement, so Vera could have recognized Gloria from that.

Deltadawn wrote:

wow - I didn't really think of that possibility but maybe it WAS Marcus.  I can see that....

DSaff wrote:

Sadly, I think Marcus tipped Bastian off about Gloria singing at the club, and I think it was because he is trying to protect her. Bad choice.

Inspired Contributor
tweezle

Holy-Moly! There certainly was a lot going on. I expected Clara and Marcus to end up dating, but am starting to think he really likes her. Jerome and Gloria have a very strange relationship, and I'm not sure it will amount to anything. I think it's more of a fascination of forbidden fruit for Gloria. This is one place she feels she has a bit of control over. She certainly doesn't have a great outlook for her future with her pending nuptials. I wanted to smack Sebastian over the head myself a few times!! What a snob.

Lorraine seems genuinely surprised at Gloria's reaction. I wonder if she "spilled the beans" without remembering it the night she visited Sebastian. He hits me as the kind of guy that gets what he wants and won't stop until he gets it - including doing something immoral or underhanded. I wonder what was in the drink he gave Lorraine to make her feel so woozy.

As for Clara's cad - not a total surprise. I figured it was the guy she left behind, and one that could get to her easily said that he had power and money. I am surprised that he is in politics and not the mob.

Lorraine is on the road to self-destruction now. I don't see much good coming out of her "friendship" with Carlito. He's much to interested, and after the description of her last meeting with Maude, it seems that she's in for a real horrible ride.

Vera is protective, and really she has every right to be. She knows the danger to her brother - not only a black/white relationship, but because she knows that Gloria is not being forthright. It appears the mob "owns" Jerome and his band, and if he's not successful, it's going to end very badly for him.

I can't wait to read the next installment. This has been difficult putting the book aside to wait for the next week!! Talk about will-power :smileywink:

“Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.” - Mason Cooley
**3 NOOKS with 3 separate accounts in one household.**
Reader 2
BrynaBL
0 Kudos

I was so surprised when Bastian showed up at the Green Mill when Gloria was singing. I definitely didn't see that one coming. I think that Bastian pretends to be against drinking and for the prohibition but he secretly goes to speakeasies and that is how he found out about Gloria fronting the band at the Green Mill.

As for Lorraine, I think that she is just digging herself a deeper hole and further ruining her friendship with Gloria. She never should have gone to Bastian's house to talk to him. I think that Lorraine is going to get into some sort of gangster trouble because she has caught the attention of Carlito and he seems to be a pretty intense guy.

I also think that Vera's protective feelings toward Jerome are totally justified. She doesn't want her brother to get mixed up with someone who could cause trouble. 

It was somewhat of a surprise to find out that Clara's cad was someone who is very well known. I think that Marcus will figure out that something isn't right about "Country Clara" now that he has seen her with the cad.

The book is very good so far and I can't wait to get sometime to finish reading it.

Contributor
cosbie
0 Kudos

I have read ahead so I will try not to say anything wrong, but I am very frustrated with Lorraine at this point! I can't help but thinking as an outsider, what a horrible friend!!

Not sure yet about who tipped off Bastion, but I am thinking that he is involved with some people at the speakeasy...because I think its pretty obvious by now that he is NOT the person I thought he was at the beginning.  He seems to have the same mask on that Clara has.

I think Vera would be justified in her protection over her brother.  She, just like anyone would, loves and cares for him, and doesn't want to see him in a bad situation...which, with a name like Carmody, could definitely get him in one!

Hello Jill!!! I am in love with the same decade, and am having a great time getting lost in your book!! I can't WAIT to read the rest of the series!

"I carry your heart with me, I carry it in my heart."
-E.E. Cummins
Contributor
Cacciatrice09

Welcome Jill,  I am loving your book!

As for the topics at hand....

First, Marcus's feelings may have started as an elaborate joke but they seem to be turning genuine.  He takes her to a place that he hasn't visited in awhile and they sit up most of the night talking with each other, that just sounds like a real date.  As for the mysterious notes, I agree with an earlier post that the sub plot was getting a little old.  Finally at the reveal of Harris, I expected more 'fireworks'.  Yes I know that Gloria and her drama captured the moment but the Clara/Harris drama seemed to be non-existent when she told him no.  Wonder if there will be more with that plot later...

Gloria not only knows that her family would never approve but she also knows the state of unrest her family is currently in.  If she goes with Jerome she will be giving up everything she knows and if she goes with Bastian she will have the material things but no love/life behind them.  As for Vera, she just seems a little too sneaky, only popping up in the right place at the right time for some extra plot twists.

I think that Lorraine is not only envious of Gloria but is starting to become envious of Clara as well since Marcus is not paying any attention to her.  Unfortunately I think that Lorraine is just heading for ruin because once you start down the that path it is hard to come back out.  I wonder what will happen with Lorraine and Carlito Macharelli....

I am not overly surprised by Clara's cad.  She wouldn't have been so nervous about the notes if it was someone small and insignificant from her past.  As for Vera's protectiveness, I think that it is totally justified.  Jerome is family and family typically protects family, especially with how close Jerome and Vera seem to be as siblings.  As for who tipped off Bastian that Gloria was singing at the Green Mill, it could have been Lorraine trying to get back at Gloria or it could have been one of Bastian's friends, I mean having the kind of money that he is supposed to have and socializing in the circles that he does, his friends can't all uphold the Prohibition.

Inspired Contributor
avalonpriestess

Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke?

I think Marcus started out with an elaborate plan to woo Clara, but I think he quickly fell in love.  I think his feelings are genuine.  He has perhaps finally found someone with whom he can be himself and not the 'happy go lucky' Marcus he portrays for others to see.

Regarding Lorraine:  Will she get even with Gloria? Or just ruin herself in the process?

I think Lorraine and Bastian deserve each other, but I also think she'll somehow end up with the gangster.  I think she will try to get even with Gloria but will end up looking foolish.  Gloria somehow always comes out of things looking better than Lorraine and I don't think this will be an exception.

Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad? Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified? Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?

I was very surprised by the identity of the cad.  I originally thought Marcus was sending the notes.  I don't suppose I should have been surprised.  Clara was quite a hit in New York.  I can't wait to find out why she left the cad...must have been something big.  

Vera's protectiveness of Jerome is justified.  No matter what happens, she sees Gloria as a 'wanna be' playing in the Green Mill.  No matter how much Gloria seems taken with Jerome, I think Vera sees it as a spoiled white girl playing with her new 'toy' at the Green Mill.  I don't believe she thinks Gloria can be serious about Jerome.  I would like to see Jerome and Gloria end up together.  I think they really do care about each other.

As for who tipped off Bastian, that has me stumped. I really don't think it's Marcus or Clara.  As angry and hurt as Lorraine is, I don't think she would stoop so low.  Perhaps Vera, to protect her brother?

I can't wait to finish this book...I've never been a fan of the roaring 20's but I admit, I'm loving this book!

Donna

Contributor
mf99
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I agree with avalonpriestess that it's probably someone that wouldn't immediately jump to mind. The obvious choices are Marcus, Clara, and Lorraine but none of them are likely to do so; well, maybe Lorraine, but I don't think that she could snitch and then hide the fact that she did so. Maybe I'm just underestimating her though.

avalonpriestess wrote:

As for who tipped off Bastian, that has me stumped. I really don't think it's Marcus or Clara.  As angry and hurt as Lorraine is, I don't think she would stoop so low.  Perhaps Vera, to protect her brother?

I can't wait to finish this book...I've never been a fan of the roaring 20's but I admit, I'm loving this book!

Donna

Inspired Contributor
avalonpriestess

Another note about Clara (she's my favorite character so far). I think she is falling for Marcus.  I hope he has the strength to see beyond whatever happened in New York and continue to care for her.  I like Clara and Marcus together.  

Bastian is a jerk.  I'll bet he's involved in the running of the speakeasy.  Oh, imagine if he's involved with the mob!  

Donna

Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That's an interesting theory, too.  :smileyhappy: The only concern I have with Vera letting Bastian know is that she knows how it would hurt her brother. He needs a singer and had been told to get Gloria ready. There was a threat there and I think Vera knows about it.

MissRabbit wrote:

Something makes me think Vera may have done it. She had an obvious distaste for Gloria from the very beginning. It was mentioned more than once that Gloria and Bastian's picture had been in the paper announcing their engagement, so Vera could have recognized Gloria from that.

Deltadawn wrote:

wow - I didn't really think of that possibility but maybe it WAS Marcus.  I can see that....

DSaff wrote:

Sadly, I think Marcus tipped Bastian off about Gloria singing at the club, and I think it was because he is trying to protect her. Bad choice.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
chelseamaya

So Before I answer questions I just want to mention how much I love this novel.  I haven't read such an amazing book in a while, more specifically I think it's that I haven't read realistic fiction (even if it's a historical piece) in a very long time.  It is super hard for me to put this book down, I just want to keep going. Anyway, on with the questions:

Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke? 

Lorraine's envy is eating her alive. Her provocative behavior has gained the attention Carlito Macharelli, the son of the gangster who owns the Green Mill. She's also managed to get herself into a compromising position with Gloria's fiance Bastian. Will she get even with Gloria? Or just ruin herself in the process? What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad? Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified? Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?

So I attempted to cut out the questions from the first post, I hope I found them all.  So.  To start off with Marcus and Clara, I know that it started out as a ruse but I really don't believe it is any more.  Maybe it's just me being a hopeless romantic, but I'd love to believe that he's really in it because he likes her rather than wants to hurt her.  I want Clara to have someone, especially after what she went through in NY, she needs someone who will be kind to her.  On that note I'm not shocked by the revelation of who her cad was, she seemed to be one of the girls to be in NY.

Gloria and Jerome scenes are my favorite in this novel, probably because I identify with Gloria, so I'm falling for Jerome just as hard as she is.  I would love for him to give me some singing lessons, haha.  In all seriousness, it makes sense for Vera to be protective of her brother.  She loves him, doesn't want him to get hurt, I'd like to believe most siblings would be that way.  In this case it's especially understandable because they're playing with fire due to the race divide.  Vera doesn't want Gloria to just use her brother and break him, so keeping her away is the most logical path to take to ensure her brother's safety. 

And Lorraine.  What do I have to say about Lorraine.  She does not know a good life decision if it hit her in the forehead.  I'm ready for her to implode.  Lorraine just doesn't understand how to deal with anything, and lets her jealousy guide her life which ultimately leads her to make terrible discussions thus leading to a life of destruction.  I've said it before, but I just do not feel sorry for the girl, every time I read her sections I want to hit her over the head and just tell her to grow up.  She just makes it really hard for anyone to like her, at all.  Part of me wonders how Gloria has put up with her all these years.

Lastly, I don't know who tipped off Bastain.  Since we obviously don't know everything about him (as evidence with his scene with Lorraine) I wouldn't be surprised if he himself had some ties with the gangsters.  I don't know how deep but, it wouldn't surprise me.  Otherwise I have no idea who would do that, other than Lorraine.  But I don't think it was her in this case, I really don't.