Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
lcnh1

Re: Vixen Discussion: The Rest of Part I p.145 - 271

Clara has been my favorite character so far as well.  At first she was a little annoying with the playacting that she was doing - trying to be country Clara.  As time went on though, I think its becoming less of an act.  She still misses her other life but unlike the other girls, she knows the dangers of the lifestyle they want to lead.  I think the person that she is pretending to be is really the type of person that she is.
avalonpriestess wrote:

Another note about Clara (she's my favorite character so far). I think she is falling for Marcus.  I hope he has the strength to see beyond whatever happened in New York and continue to care for her.  I like Clara and Marcus together.  

Bastian is a jerk.  I'll bet he's involved in the running of the speakeasy.  Oh, imagine if he's involved with the mob!  

Donna

Contributor
halfpintlady

The second half of Part I contains a lot of action and surprises: Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke? 

I love Marcus and Clara!!  I think his feelings for Clara are genuine but I completely understand her concern. She isn't being honest about who she really is. Plus she did overhear the original plan.

Lorraine's envy is eating her alive. Her provocative behavior has gained the attention Carlito Macharelli, the son of the gangster who owns the Green Mill. She's also managed to get herself into a compromising position with Gloria's fiance Bastian. Will she get even with Gloria? Or just ruin herself in the process?

I'm really  not a fan of Lorraine as I think I may have said before. BUT her character is crucial to the story. I can only think what a stupid girl. 

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad? Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified? Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?

I had no idea of who to expect for Clara's cad, so I have to admit I wasn't surprised.  

I don't think Vera is in the wrong to be so protective of her brother. Everyone should be that way for their siblings. And this situation is difficult given the way race was viewed at the time. Also, Gloria isn't just a white girl, she is a RICH, white girl who doesn't have a clue what the real world is like. We know Gloria is sincere in all of her feelings no matter how much she struggles with them.

I really thought it was Lorraine who tipped Bastian off.

Contributor
ccshealy

I actually was very surprised by the identity of Clara's Cad.  For some reason, after reading the scene with Lorraine and Bastian at Bastian's apartment, I suddenly got this feeling that the Cad would somehow turn out to be Bastian and that Gloria's anger would end up directed at Clara rather than Lorraine.  I thought I had cleverly figured it all out, so yes I was surprised!

One thing I cannot get over is how everyone in this story is just manipulating everyone else!  They are all supposed to be friends, yet they are overrun by jealousy and each one is so incredibly selfish.  They are all just using each other to achieve their own personal wants.  I will not be surprised if everything blows up in their faces and they all end up hating each other by the end!

I was also very intrigued in this section by the scene in which Lorraine shows Gloria her dad's gun cabinet and even takes one of the guns out and shows it to her.  I wondered if this is where the handgun in the prologue scene will eventually come from?  Coming on the heels of Gloria's comment that "if Bastian ever touched another girl, I would get a gun and shoot him dead," and Lorraine's decision not to tell Gloria about kissing Bastian, I am really in suspense about where the scene from the prologue will eventually lead. 

I can't wait to keep reading and find out what happens next!

~Carissa

Contributor
Lavasoap
0 Kudos

ccshealy wrote:

I was also very intrigued in this section by the scene in which Lorraine shows Gloria her dad's gun cabinet and even takes one of the guns out and shows it to her.  I wondered if this is where the handgun in the prologue scene will eventually come from?  Coming on the heels of Gloria's comment that "if Bastian ever touched another girl, I would get a gun and shoot him dead," and Lorraine's decision not to tell Gloria about kissing Bastian, I am really in suspense about where the scene from the prologue will eventually lead. 

I can't wait to keep reading and find out what happens next!

~Carissa

I forgot about that scene when I did my comment!  That scene really intrigued me as well and made me lean even further toward thinking it is Gloria in the prologue.  I think she does realize just how dangerous the mobsters are, but thinks singing is worth the risk.  I see her throwing Bastian to the curb and going back to singing and maybe even with the help of Clara.  I'm definitely ready to get home so I can delve back into the story for next week's discussion section!

Frequent Contributor
vpenning
0 Kudos

My thought is that it was Marcus who told on Gloria. Men tend to stick together in some things...and I cannot see Marcus wanting his "little sister" singing in a nightclub run by gangsters.

I first thought the cad would be a rival gangster type character in NY...but, the son of a politician isn't that far off. I got the impression that Clara was pretty high and mighty in the big Apple, so I am not surprised that it was someone well connected.

I have mixed feelings in regards to Marcus and Clara's relationship. I think that Marcus is not really sure himself what he feels for Country Clara. She is an enigma and his type has to solve the mystery. Clara is intrigued with him as well, as he represents so much of the world she wants. The respectability and the acceptance that comes with being around and marrying the social elite. However, having been in the big city and having had a taste of the elite class and their ways, she is extremely cautious.

Lorraine is the character that most intrigues, and scares me. With the reveal of her father's guns, I feel their may be an reference for a tragedy in the making. She is unstable enough that she could get despondent...or she is wild enough that an accident could happen..Especially if the Cad from New York begins to threaten her or her friends. I could see her taking out a gun, and pulling the trigger....

Well, I am looking forward to continued reading!

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn

Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke? Meanwhile, the mysterious notes continue until the sender reveals himself during Gloria's debut singing at the Green Mill.

I believe Marcus really likes Clara. Isn't that how it usually goes in books and movies? The one who sets the trap ends up tangled in it? (Examples: Dangerous Liasons, several recent romantic comedies...) I think Clara both enjoys her current life and misses parts of the old one. I hope she finds a happy middle.

Gloria is sneaking around to rehearse with Jerome for her debut at the Green Mill. She definitely has feelings for Jerome, but knows her family would never approve. She must also contend with Jerome's jealous sister Vera who wants Gloria as far away from her brother as possible.

Lorraine's envy is eating her alive. Her provocative behavior has gained the attention Carlito Macharelli, the son of the gangster who owns the Green Mill. She's also managed to get herself into a compromising position with Gloria's fiance Bastian. Will she get even with Gloria? Or just ruin herself in the process?

I think Lorraine has justified it in her mind and it will just spiral out of control. However, since Bastian is obviously hiding things and with Lorraine's scheming, they may deserve each other, depending on what else Bastian is hiding. I really don't see this ending well for Lorraine. This kind of character is always incredibly short sighted.

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad? Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified? Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?

I'm not really surprised about Clara's cad. It was obviously something big that made her parents threaten to send her to a juvenile facility if she couldn't stay with her aunt, rather than just running off to New York or something like that.

I think Vera is justifed to be concerned but I'm afraid she'll make bad choices. I suspect Vera tipped off Bastian. I hope Vera doesn't end up like Lorraine, because I see some parallels there. Both care about someone (one moreso than the other at this point) and make some decisions that really are none of their business, even coming from a good place (as I hope Vera is) or a bad place (as Lorraine has exhibited.)

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

I was surprised that Bastian found out about Gloria so quickly.  I'm thinking that maybe Marcus had a hand in tipping Bastian off about Gloria.  It would serve his end well since I think that he is in love with Gloria   I think him feigning interest in Clara is part of his "plot" to get rid of her.

I had no idea as to the identity of Clara's cad.  I assumed that it was someone from NYC but there really was no way to figure out who it would be.  Although I am wondering how he found her...

I think that Vera is protective of her brother because she knows he needs his job and she knows that any involvement with a white women would be disastrous.  I think a bit of Jerome's life was revealed when he told Gloria that he teaches piano to little children.  If he ever "got caught" with Gloria, it would ruin his life.

I think Lorraine is getting in over head, especially with Carlito.  After Gloria slapped her and Marcus called her a traitor, I think she will go to any end to get even.  She'll probably even be able to justify to herself the kiss with Bastian.

The end of Part 1 is definitely a cliff hanger!  It's hard not to keep reading!!!

b

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Author
Jillian-Larkin

Lavasoap wrote:

I definitely enjoyed the second discussion section; it was really hard to stop reading!

I think Lorraine will ruin herself.  She had the opportunity to hurt Gloria when she went to Bastian and she didn't, which shows that while she has been heading down a bad path she's not gone over the edge yet and just may redeem herself.  I think she feels bad for herself and blames others, but she doesn't seem to have the drive to completely turn against them.  I keep hoping she'll turn around, but I fear the worst for her future.

I loved the end of part one-it has me on the edge of my seat!  I figured Clara's cad would be more mob-related and can't wait to find out the details to her past.  She really seems to have had an exciting life in NY.  I hope we discover what pushed her to it, because it definitely doesn't go with the 'Country Clara' that I think is based in her pre-NY life.  She's not just acting, so much as returning to her roots with this persona. 

As for Vera, her protectiveness is definitely justified!  Her brother seems to be a fairly good guy from what has been revealed so far and I wouldn't want my brother taken in by the glamour of the attention the white girls pour on him.  She definitely has his best interests at heart and I think knows that a lot of these girls are rich and see this as an adventure in which Jerome is just a bit-player. 

I'm thinking either Bastian was smart enough to see through Lorraine's bad acting or after he kissed her and plied her with liquor he got her to spill the beans, though I'm really hoping she didn't!  My hope is that someone he knows let it slip to him that she was there.  He obviously has some kind of connections since he has his own stash.

Welcome to the discussion Jillian!  Your debut has been smashing.  You should be very proud of your work and we can't wait to hear juicy tidbits about the character's development and how they drove you to tell their story!

Thank you for the welcome! These characters have been incredibly fun to develop. Throughout writing both VIXEN and the rough draft of INGÉNUE, and now doing revisions on INGÉNUE, I discover new things about these characters each day. Getting to know the characters better has always been one of my favorite aspects of the writing process.

I'm glad you're giving Lorraine a little bit of the benefit of the doubt. I've been intrigued to hear people's opinions on Lorraine since they span from "I just want to give that poor girl a hug" to "I just want to push that horrible girl off a cliff." I personally always feel terrible for Lorraine.  Though I probably have to--I don't think I could spend so much time in her head if I didn't feel that way. 

But Lorraine is really just a ball of all the rejection I felt in high school: Watching your best friend drift away from you and not knowing how to stop it, being head over heels in love with a boy who you maybe even know isn't interested deep down but refusing to admit it to yourself, watching a friend pay more attention to a shiny new friend than the old one who has always stuck by her ... These are things a lot of young girls struggle with. Not that I think Lorraine deals with these rejections well. But I can definitely sympathize with the rejections themselves.

I like what you said about Vera as well: "She definitely has his best interests at heart and I think knows that a lot of these girls are rich and see this as an adventure in which Jerome is just a bit-player." You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Perhaps to our modern eyes Vera can come off as jealous and petty. But it was a different world back then. A life of ugly discrimination would certainly lead Vera to be suspicious of a rich white woman showing so much interest in her older brother.

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

Re: Quotes

Becktrek wrote:

Those quotes all caught my eye as well Donna, but this one by Lorraine really caught my attention:

Page 173 when Lorraine was trying to get into The Green Mill after following Gloria in the car:

"If you let me inside, I won't be alone" (Lorraine to the "eye" in the door).

"All right" the Eye said. "There's always room for a working girl"

"Lorraine didn't really know what he meant by that - working girl? She had a trust fund' she'd never worked a day in her life!"

I couldn't believe she didn't know what he meant by that - with all the pretense she puts up that she is so worldly and flapper-like.  And then when Carlito pays attention to her she thinks it's due to her "sophistication".  Am I wrong in thinking that he ALSO thinks she is a working girl and someone he can pick up?  What do you all think?  Am I reading too much into this?  Attention from Carlito can only be major trouble IMO!

Becky in IN

Becky:

I can't say that I was surprised when Lorraine didn't get the "working girl" reference.  For all of her blustering, she is still a naive high school girl.  She'd like to think that she is sophisticated and worldly but in reality she's just a "trust fund baby" with no life experience.   She never would have even gone to the Green Mill if it wasn't for Gloria and Marcus.   I think you're right when you say attention from Carlito can only be major trouble - how much remains to be seen!

b

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Wordsmith
babzilla41

DSaff wrote:

Me too! I wanted him to get hit and for Gloria to exert some independence. But, he got away with it. He wants total and complete control to keep up his "good boy" image. What a fake!

Becktrek wrote:

*I was appalled at how Bastian pulled Gloria off that stage....  I wanted her to keep singing!

Becky in IN

I loved it when Gloria elbowed Bastian in the gut and got away from him!  I think that's the first she's asserted herself with him. 

b

Distinguished Correspondent
Bonnie_C

I do feel that Marcus has fallen for Clara.  But will he feel the same for city Clara as he does for country Clara?

Vera is probably the smartest individual in this story.  She knows exactly what a mess it would be if her brother hooked up with Gloria. The girl seems to be well grounded in reality.

I was not as much surprised as to who Clara's stalker was as I was surprised that Clara's stalker was revealed so soon.  I could almost hear the dramatic organ music do a crescendo like in daytime soap operas.  I thought, "Oh my gosh, it's Harris Brown!"  But then I had to stop and think, "Who's Harris Brown?"  I didn't really know who he was, I just knew that he had to be somebody big.

Gloria really needs to get some backbone.  I had hopes for her when she turned the tables on Bastian at dinner by pointing out that since her daddy was actually paying for the meal, then she would order cake if she wanted.  But then she tells Lorraine that if she catches Bastian touching another girl, she would shoot them.  That just didn't add up.  I was also struck by the fact that Gloria watched Lorraine unlock the secret stash of guns.  She now knows the hiding places and she knows how to get to them.

What a fun story.  Like other readers, I've had a hard time sticking to the reading schedule.  It's like letting yourself have 2 Thin Mints when what you actually want to do is eat the whole box.

Bonnie 

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

babzilla41 wrote:

Becktrek wrote:

Those quotes all caught my eye as well Donna, but this one by Lorraine really caught my attention:

Page 173 when Lorraine was trying to get into The Green Mill after following Gloria in the car:

"If you let me inside, I won't be alone" (Lorraine to the "eye" in the door).

"All right" the Eye said. "There's always room for a working girl"

"Lorraine didn't really know what he meant by that - working girl? She had a trust fund' she'd never worked a day in her life!"

I couldn't believe she didn't know what he meant by that - with all the pretense she puts up that she is so worldly and flapper-like.  And then when Carlito pays attention to her she thinks it's due to her "sophistication".  Am I wrong in thinking that he ALSO thinks she is a working girl and someone he can pick up?  What do you all think?  Am I reading too much into this?  Attention from Carlito can only be major trouble IMO!

Becky in IN

Becky:

I can't say that I was surprised when Lorraine didn't get the "working girl" reference.  For all of her blustering, she is still a naive high school girl.  She'd like to think that she is sophisticated and worldly but in reality she's just a "trust fund baby" with no life experience.   She never would have even gone to the Green Mill if it wasn't for Gloria and Marcus.   I think you're right when you say attention from Carlito can only be major trouble - how much remains to be seen!

b

Hi there!  You make an excellent point. I do think this is one of the moments in the novel where it really shines through that just because Lorraine wants to be the daring, sophisticated flapper, that doesn't mean it's actually who she is. Lorraine is so caught up in the glitz and glamour that she barely pauses to consider how truly dangerous gangsters are. Up until now, they've just been mysterious, handsome men tucked safely between the society pages of her newspaper.

Contributor
juliewu

This book is holding my attention. Every page I turn, I hope to find an answer but instead I find more questions. I really love the interactions of the characters and their location and time period. To answer some questions:

Marcus is an interesting, mysterious man. I believe that he joined in Gloria’s scheme to get rid of Clara—initially. I think he is truly falling for her. The question is, is he falling for the new Country Clara or remnants of Flapper Clara. Marcus is kind of a side-kick in this book, but I think he is evolving and transforming just as the main characters are. I question Marcus’s true loyalty to Gloria. Could he have been the tattle tale on Gloria? Gloria has been using him as much as she has Lorraine, but we don’t get to see his perspective in the story.

Lorraine is a person that I think everyone can relate to or name someone they know that is like her. She is the one friend in a group that is looked at as a last resort—Gloria would talk to anyone else but if there is no one, she talks to Lorraine. Lorraine wants to be acknowledged and not forgotten. What she does with Bastian was her way of getting the attention that Gloria normally outsources. I have hope for Loraine and hope that she sees the light before she destroys herself. She seems like a genuine person that just needs a little guidance.

Clara in my opinion is truly trying to change herself. When she sees her cad at the Green Mill she wants to leave the situation, but her desire (almost addiction-like) is too strong. It surprised me that her cad was such a prominent person. What we have learned about Clara has been from her perspective; therefore we cannot find it as creditable. When everyone sees her with her cad, it becomes clear that she did indeed live the true flapper lifestyle in New York.

Vera is a character that I am going to keep my watchful reading eye on. I am suspicious of her actions and her motives. She may also be the one behind tipping off Bastian. By quickly flipping through the book and seeing that she is the author of the Epilogue and potentially the subject of the next installment in this series, I am very interested to see where her character goes. Overall an awesome read! Can’t wait to finally finish and hopefully have some of these questions answered. The worst part about receiving advanced readers copies of a series is that you have to wait twice as long for the second one to come.

Distinguished Correspondent
salander_9277
0 Kudos

I must admit, I've finished the book.  I had to know.  So I will be sure to not include any spoilers in my comments, which means I won't be making any predictions about the next parts of the novel.

Welcome Jillian!

I was surprised to hear how prominent the man in Clara's NY life was.  

I am shocked by how much Gloria doesn't care about her attraction to Jerome in a time where that was so unaccepted.  She really is not holding back anything.

I definitely think Lorraine needs to figure out what she wants in life and have direction because she spends way too much time worrying about what Marcus thinks or likes and what Gloria has that she doesn't.  

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sarah-W wrote:

edited by twj...

Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke?
I believe he really likes her because he is not used to having someone play hard to get. This makes her far more desirable to him, I think.

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad?

I didn't expect Clara to be with Goody Two Shoes. She led rather a footloose and fancy free life, so I wasn't surprised. I was more surprised that he found her.

Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified?

I know I protected my brother, growing up, so I think it is perfectly justified to step in if you think your sibling is being taken advantage of in any way threatened. I might not use the same methods as Vera, but I would probably get involved in some way if I thought it was necessary.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sarah-W wrote:
edited by twj...

Meanwhile, the mysterious notes continue until the sender reveals himself during Gloria's debut singing at the Green Mill. I have some theories as to how some of the notes got to Clara.

1-I think Marcus has been asked to put them there by the Cad. I think he knows him from the speakeasy and somehow he told him about Clara.

2-Alternately, perhaps Bastian and Harris Brown knew each other. They were both playboys and sons of influential men. What if Bastian asked Marcus to bring the notes there for Cad?

Bastian tells Lorraine that he has a public and private persona. Maybe he has visited speakeasys and back rooms, before and mentioned Clara to the Cad, Harris. Maybe the Cad was meeting Bastian for business and he told him about Gloria, his fiancee, and her cousin Clara. Maybe they had too much to drink and were shooting the breeze.

Although he pretends to be on the straight and narrrow, he is not so pure. Bastian secretly has his own liquor stash and he is in an influential position in society so he would meet a lot of people, good and bad, in business.

3-If it was Lorraine, then I think Bastain drugged her that night. I don't like him and I wouldn't put anything past him. The word brute describes him perfectly.

4-Hmmmm, I just thought of another possiblity. What if Marcus told Bastian, and all of these circumstances were unrelated to Harris Brown? Maybe Marcus really loves Gloria and doesn't want Bastian to marry her. Seeing her sing at the Green Mill would certainly throw in a monkey wrench to their plans!

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

Sarah-W wrote:
edited by twj:...

Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?

I am going out on a limb here. I think that Cad tipped Bastian off, not Lorraine, although she does get blamed. Clara knew too, so my guess would be either she or Cad. Somehow, I think Cad is the link between the characters. I think he had to know one of them in order to find her and he had to use one of them to place the notes inside the house. 

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Welcome and thank you for writing a book which reminds me of my mom's era and for writing it so well that it is making me think in all sorts of new directions as I read it. I am sure most of my guesses are probably out of left field, but it is fun to guess, just the same.
I can actually see a picture of my mom, in her flapper hairdo, sitting on the long limb of a tree! She was quite a looker, too.
Sarah-W wrote:

Author Jill Larkin joins us this week, so please welcome her to the board!

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Here is another quote that stood out for me, on page 192:

"In the dark, hidden from the world above, he wasn't black or white. He was just a man."

I have to admit that those two lines had a profound effect on me. The simple beauty of the statement and its incredibly illuminating message, although it spoke of the dark, gave me pause. Isn't it the absolute truth?

DSaff wrote:

Here are three quotes that stood out to me in this section. I would be interested hear what others think about them.

"Getting to know these boring girls, and their equally boring parents, was the dregs. There was no jazz, no excitement, and no men. At least, no men with boyfriend potential." Clara's thoughts, pg. 146 (Will the real Clara please stand up.)

"Maybe, Lorraine had to admit, what mad her a sometime embarrassment among the other Chicago debs -- her brashness, her say-it-as-it-is attitude -- made her perfect for this world of gangsters and gin, of flappers and jazz. Gloria was trying desperately to belong, but Lorraine truly did belong. Didn't she?" Lorraine's thoughts, pg. 177 ( insecurity; dangerous attitude)

"'You have to stop thinking about me like that, Marcus. For your own good." Though she knew it was exactly the opposite. She wasn't a man-eater anymore; she was afraid. She went to the door, opened it, and gestured for him to leave. 'I'll only cause you trouble.'" Clara to Marcus, pg. 215 (trying to protect him; she may be falling for him)

Correspondent
MissShopaholic
0 Kudos

Well to start off - I'm totally proud for Gloria.  I'm imagining a Jessica Rabbit with a bob. :smileyhappy:

Vera has a right to be protective... Her female intuition is kicking in and if she doesn't set Gloria straight, who knows what kind of controversy can ensue- given that time and place in history.... Furthermore, Men being Men, Jerome might be tempted to take a bite from the apple, so to speak, and with a girl as pretty as Gloria around.... who knows what might happen. I'm just saying. Vera just doesn't want the drama.

I'm not surprised that Clara's Cad is who he is... she was really caught up in the flapper, speakeasy scene when she was in New York that I wouldn't have expected anything or anyone less than someone like him. Glo and Raine got nothin' on her. Oh, if those two only knew!!! I keep thinking how Clara is the real deal and can't wait to see what happens when the cats outta the bag.

Marcus- Well I'm still not sure that his feelings for Clara are truly genuine or not. Maybe he truly has fallen for Clara or maybe- just maybe- he's jealous because for the first time the girl isn't chasing after him... like maybe he feels that his attempt at seduction has failed and is upset over that. I think it would be romantic though if he did have a thing for clara...

I'm excited for part II! can't wait!