Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom
0 Kudos

Re: Quotes

This is the quote that also caught my eye:

Page 173 when Lorraine was trying to get into The Green Mill after following Gloria in the car:

"If you let me inside, I won't be alone" (Lorraine to the "eye" in the door).

"All right" the Eye said. "There's always room for a working girl"

"Lorraine didn't really know what he meant by that - working girl? She had a trust fund' she'd never worked a day in her life!"

I immediately thought about how naive she really is!

"Open a book and the world is yours"
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Vixen Discussion: The Rest of Part I p.145 - 271

That is a good point, Sarah. But, I think the reason we can see the real Clara at times is that she only puts on a mask to keep from being sent away, not because she is ashamed of her previous choices. The others seem to really want to change themselves and are living dual lives.

Sarah-W wrote:

It occurred to me that perhaps the kind of person Clara is will show through regardless of what persona she's wearing... I wonder if the same thing could be said of the rest of the characters. What do you think?

lcnh1 wrote:
Clara has been my favorite character so far as well.  At first she was a little annoying with the playacting that she was doing - trying to be country Clara.  As time went on though, I think its becoming less of an act.  She still misses her other life but unlike the other girls, she knows the dangers of the lifestyle they want to lead.  I think the person that she is pretending to be is really the type of person that she is.

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
Lavasoap
0 Kudos

literature wrote:

Now you have to think, how did Bastian know about the Green Mill and its whereabouts?  If he came on to Lorraine, how many other women were there and were any of them flappers from the Green Mill?  Lief knew about Gloria but I can't see any connection between Lief and Bastian.  So that leaves the only other character that keeps popping up...Carlito.  Carlito is a gangster.  Bastian has no money.  His father gambled away whatever money they had.  Could his father have gambled at the Green Mill?  Was his father and/or Bastian somehow tied in with Carlito?  I will have to keep on reading!

I love that you brought up Leif, because in the back of my mind I kept thinking what about the bartender!  He seemed pretty nice and chatty with Gloria, so maybe he was concerned and notified Bastian.  While we haven't seen a direct connection I pointed out that Bastian has to be getting his supply of liquor from someone.  Even if they don't know each other a big society engagement means their photo is probably in all the papers, so if he's not the supplier he could still have recognized Gloria.  Heck maybe he recognized her and knew that Sebastian's public prohibition stance could bring the Green Mill down if he found out later, so he notified him to save his job. 

Oh the possibilities! This book is wonderful :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
Atreyu59
0 Kudos

Re: Quotes

that is so true, I don't believe she understood how far or how deep she was really involved and what she was about to get herself into - pretty scary overall - yet she quickly handles it without getting herself killed - yet it was touch and go there for a minute with Carlito!

Kittysmom said....

"Lorraine didn't really know what he meant by that - working girl? She had a trust fund' she'd never worked a day in her life!"

I immediately thought about how naive she really is!

Reading . . .is LIVING in true color
Contributor
MissRabbit
0 Kudos

Kittysmom wrote:

Hi pen21, I think I'm going to have to disagree with you about Bastian just going to the club and happening to find Gloria there.  Someone had told him and I'm not quite sure who I believe it is but I am leaning toward Lorraine because she wants to be like Gloria and is a little jealous of what Gloria has and somehow wants to spoil it for her, even if she is her best friend.  Or maybe she is trying to help Glo to get out of her arranged marriage to Bastian, hoping that he would discard her once he found out about her secret.

Your thought was interesting though, so we will see!

Your statement "...trying to help Glo get our of her arranged marriage." caught my attention. That is definitely a possibility, but the word "help", in this case, is a relative term. Would Lorraine be helping Glo, or is it an act of self service since she kissed Bastian and felt something toward him? Given what we know about Lorraine, I'm leaning toward the latter. Everything she's done so far has been for herself, even if she tries to justify it otherwise. 

Inspired Contributor
shmy
0 Kudos

The second half of Part I contains a lot of action and surprises:

Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke?

I honestly think Marcus likes Clara, their moments seem very genuine and the whole plot to take Clara down seems to be more in Raine’s mind than in Marcus’

Will she get even with Gloria? Or just ruin herself in the process?

I really hope she doesn’t get ruined, I don’t like how petty Lorraine is but at the same time I’m kind of hoping something good happens to her. If Bastian wasn’t so unlikeable I would like for them to hook up, but not just for show or revenge.

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad?

I was, I had my money on Carlito. Damn!

Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified?

Yes, honestly I don’t think Gloria fully understands what she’s getting into. And we already know what happened to Clara so she shouldn't take things so lightly.

Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?

My guess is nobody tipped him off, he was there for his own fun and then received a big, big surprise.

I’m gonna try and finish it today, that’s my goal for today :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
narcisse
0 Kudos

This is the point in the book where, once I got to it, I didn't want to stop reading.

I think Vera is completely justified in being protective over Jerome.  Having feelings for Gloria could only make his life more difficult than it already was.  Vera is one of the more interesting characters to me.  I really hope that we can get some of her story - maybe in the next book.

I wasn't really surprised about Clara's cad.  I think I had picked up from something she had said before that he was someone who was a bit of a big deal.

I know who ratted out Gloria, so I won't make guesses about that!  I will say that after carefully considering all of my potential tattlers, that I did suspect this person more than any of the other possibilities as being the one who had done it, but also that it probably isn't someone that most people will suspect right away.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Wendy, when is Ingenue going to be in bookstores?

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Contributor
shmy
0 Kudos

narcisse wrote:

This is the point in the book where, once I got to it, I didn't want to stop reading.

I think Vera is completely justified in being protective over Jerome.  Having feelings for Gloria could only make his life more difficult than it already was.  Vera is one of the more interesting characters to me.  I really hope that we can get some of her story - maybe in the next book.

I wasn't really surprised about Clara's cad.  I think I had picked up from something she had said before that he was someone who was a bit of a big deal.

I know who ratted out Gloria, so I won't make guesses about that!  I will say that after carefully considering all of my potential tattlers, that I did suspect this person more than any of the other possibilities as being the one who had done it, but also that it probably isn't someone that most people will suspect right away.

You're making me suspect Vera.

I really shouldn't be online, but reading right now LOL :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I agree with avalonprincess. If I had to pick out a favorite character, it would be Clara. She is very secretive about her past and does a good job playing the country girl who is helping Gloria.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Contributor
Lavasoap
0 Kudos

shmy wrote:

Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?

My guess is nobody tipped him off, he was there for his own fun and then received a big, big surprise.

I think this is a good thought except I think Bastian's comment to Lorraine about what a man does in public vs. the privacy of his own home tells us that he wouldn't risk running into someone he knew and blowing his public persona.

One thing I've been wondering concerning Clara:  Does anyone else ponder if there was an unwanted pregnancy with the cad?? There have been a few little comments that make me wonder if she lost a baby (intentionally or not). 

Inspired Correspondent
mv5ocean
0 Kudos

:
Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke?  Totally against his original plan Marcus is definitely falling for Clara.  And boy I'm anxious to see where Lorraine goes with this now that the light bulb has went off in her head.

Lorraine's envy is eating her alive. Her provocative behavior has gained the attention Carlito Macharelli, the son of the gangster who owns the Green Mill. She's also managed to get herself into a compromising position with Gloria's fiance Bastian. Will she get even with Gloria? Or just ruin herself in the process?  Lorraine is setting herself up for failure in every direction.......Marcus has absolutely no interest in her. Gloria is now furious by what she believes is Lorraine's betrayal. I'm interested in finding out who actually betrayed Gloria and if Lorraine will admit to the true betrayal with Bastian.

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad?   I'm glad this revelation has finally come up so that we can see where this part of the story is going and how it fits into the picture. 

Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified?  I'm still confused as to why Vera is so upset about Jerome and Gloria. I am assuming that it is because of the financial/racial differences but maybe she is just flat out jealous of any relationship her brother might have.

Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?  I'm wondering if the "cad" somehow orchestrated his appearance at the bar but haven't figured this out yet.

Jill we welcome you and I thank you so much for this great read!!! I don't think I'll be able to stick to the schedule so might forge ahead and get the answers to all these great mysteries..........

Author Jill Larkin joins us this week, so please welcome her to the board! 

Wordsmith
wheeze

Wow, talk about drama and suspense! Loving it!

I am starting to like Gloria more. At first I thought she was snotty, and unorginal. Now, she is growing on me. She is just a girl who wants to be loved. I like the romantic tension with Jerome. He is such a better person then Bastian. Bastian is just a man involved with money. It's going to be interesting to see which ones she sticks with.

As for Lorraine, she could disappear. I don't like her attitude and needs to get over herself. She is trying to be a flapper, but her actions lead to 'whiny brat' instead. Still though, I don't think she tattled on Gloria, she isn't smart enough for that. I am still trying to figure out which person did.

Clara, aah poor sweet, lying Clara. I think she needs to come clean to Marcus, or it may end badly. If he is a good guy, he will accept her, but we will see!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
— Marilyn Monroe
Distinguished Correspondent
Bonnie_C
0 Kudos

Tarri wrote:

I know I am the only one here, but I really feel just a little bit sorry for Lorraine, everything she touches explodes on her.  I know she has brought a lot of her problems on herself, but you wonder where the parents of these young people are and if this type of hands off parenting is indicative of the wealthy during this time period. 

I don't think she will get even with Gloria, and it looks like she is going to ruin herself and cause havoc for all her [used to be] friends. 

Tarri,

I have to admit that in this part of the story I did start to like Lorraine just a bit.  She seemed to do battle with her conscience.  Her friendship with Gloria seemed to triumph over her jealousies.  I did feel sympathy for her when Gloria slapped her.  I think this will push Lorraine into the arms of Carlito, which cannot be a good thing.

Bonnie

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

wheeze wrote:

Wow, talk about drama and suspense! Loving it!

I am starting to like Gloria more. At first I thought she was snotty, and unorginal. Now, she is growing on me. She is just a girl who wants to be loved. I like the romantic tension with Jerome. He is such a better person then Bastian. Bastian is just a man involved with money. It's going to be interesting to see which ones she sticks with.

As for Lorraine, she could disappear. I don't like her attitude and needs to get over herself. She is trying to be a flapper, but her actions lead to 'whiny brat' instead. Still though, I don't think she tattled on Gloria, she isn't smart enough for that. I am still trying to figure out which person did.

Clara, aah poor sweet, lying Clara. I think she needs to come clean to Marcus, or it may end badly. If he is a good guy, he will accept her, but we will see!

Well I still haven't read on at all..But I am leaning towards Vera..I just think that Bastian has skeletons in his closet...and Vera could be having an Affair with"Him".But we will see..Jillian must be getting a"Kick" reading all our comments.Especially since we are all playing out all these scenarios....I also Love the Drama....I think you are right  Marcus would forgive her,because he is Falling in Love   And Sarah-W..Next week will be amazing....

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
Lildove3
0 Kudos

Wow, who's on first what's on second...I don't know...quite a clamity of things going on

in part one.  Yes, in many respects I understand Vera's point of view wanting to make

sure of her brother's welfare, look at the era they are in.  In away it was interesting to

find out who Clara's mystery cad was,Lorraine better mine her P' & Q's otherwise I'm

afraid she won't like what may come her way.

Distinguished Correspondent
Bonnie_C
0 Kudos

One scene that sticks in my mind was when Maude Cortineau (queen of the flappers) came backstage with Carlito to see Gloria before her debut.  In the beginning of the story Maude was living high.  In this scene she was just a shell of an individual.  What happened?  If I were Gloria, that would really stick with me.

Bonnie

Author
Jillian-Larkin
0 Kudos

SSDailey wrote:

I am absolutely loving Vixen. I have been somewhat obsessed with the 1920s for several years now.

Just a couple things. Someone mentioned that the situation with Clara and Harris was overshadowed by Bastian arriving at the Green Mill and snatching Gloria off the stage. Honestly, I think that the appearance of Harris is just leading into something bigger with Clara. I have a feeling that there is still more about this situation that hasn't come out yet.

Another thing...has anyone else noticed that the spelling of Bastian's last name changes from Grey to Gray a few different times?

Hey Jillian, I'm just wondering if you have any idea how many books will be in this series? I absolutely love it and would be happy to read a dozen of them (or more).

Hey there. The current plan is two more books, entitled INGÉNUE and DIVA. I certainly wouldn't mind spending a dozen books' worth of time in a sea of gorgeous dresses, jazz, and men though :smileyhappy:

Contributor
SSDailey
0 Kudos

Well I'm glad to know that I can at least look forward to two new books.

Contributor
ElleyKat
0 Kudos

I shouldn't have read this book the moment I got it, because all the thoughts and feelings I had upon reading it are so old now...

I remember being wild to figure out who Clara's cad was, and when the big reveal came I was kind of like "...oh. ...Huh." I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I was definitely expecting MORE.

I think that Vera's protectiveness of her brother is completely understandable, especially in a time where if Jerome and Gloria were discovered to be in a relationship, things could go very, VERY badly for Jerome, with little real consequence to Gloria.

I remember being CRAZY to know who tipped Bastian off, and was so so SO suprised to find out who!! Delish!