Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Re: Vixen Discussion: The Rest of Part I p.145 - 271

Careful what you ask for....:smileywink:

Sheltiemama wrote:

One more thing: I can easily see Lorraine as a mob wife.

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

We'll be discussing the ending this week... but you are welcome to join in at anytime. Glad you're enjoying it!

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Wait until you see what he's up to at the end of the book! :smileywink:

Larakat wrote:

I'm starting to think that Bastian isn't quite the man he's supposed to be. Not only did he kiss Lorraine, he hides alcohol, and what was he doing in the Green Mill. I don't think Lorraine told him about Gloria. I think Bastian was already at the club. Carlito gave him to much slack for him to be a first time guest. Also something he said on Pg. 183 struck me as having hidden meaning. "There is a difference between what you do in the privacy of your own home and what you display to the public eye." Sounds to me like Bastian is hiding something that could lead to his own downfall if found out. Something like hanging around with gangsters perhaps. I hope Gloria doesn't end up marrying him, there's something about him I really don't like.

Contributor
Fairqueen2
0 Kudos

Sarah-W wrote:

Careful what you ask for....:smileywink:

Sheltiemama wrote:

One more thing: I can easily see Lorraine as a mob wife.

Oh yeah, I could soo see that happening. With the way Lorraine wants to be better and more rebellious than the rest of her friends and classmates, she'd totally marry Carlito to do just that. Well, I'll just have to wait and see what  happens in the next book then!

Correspondent
Tenrbe
0 Kudos

Maybe it's just me, but I'm having a really hard time liking any of the 3 girls. They all seem self-centered, fake, cruel or have some ulterior motive. This is probably why it's taken me so long to comment on the middle portion of the book.

I didn't think the identity of Clara's cad was that surprisng. We knew she had a scandelous reputation in New York and it makes sense that she would've been with a famous guy from New York who was engaged. Vera's overprotectiveness of her brother is somewhat justified because she probably doesn't want her brother to be hurt by her.

Reader 2
Lilly_White

I happen to think that Marcus likes Clara for who she is. Yes, her past is much different than he belives and that can make a mess if she doesn't come clean soon, however her sence of humor, her total demeanor, that's all her. Country Clara is just a past, it's not the present.

Lorraine is a hard one to figure out. She wants to protect Gloria in a sence, but who protects Gloria from Lorraine? Lorraine needs to clear her head and put everything in perspective, she is very childish and needs to understand that Gloria's life revolves around Gloria not Lorraine, and that you don't have to speak every day to be friends. In the end, I see Lorraine messing things up royally. Just from being rash and childish.

Being that Bastian drinks, I can see him finding out on accident. Going to a speak easy and hearing about beautiful Gloria singing. The Gloria who looks like his gloria,while his gloria is looking more and more tired every day. Who now all of a sudden stands up for herself and orders desert first.

Clara's Cad totally suprised me. I thought that it was going to be just some nobody lozer.

As for Vera, What colored sister wouldnt be angry in the 20's if her brother went where society told him he couldn't. Things may have changed somewhat, but even now mixed race relations face social problems... in the 20's? Hate crimes in the 20's must have been ridicious. She just wants to protect him, she loves him-he's her brother.

Contributor
MsTweet

While I never was quite sure if Marcus' feelings for Clara were genuine, I didn't think that they were part of an elaborate joke.  He just didn't seem capable of it. 

I think Lorraine's behavior will ruin herself in the process.  She is her own worse enemy. 

I wasn't too surprised about Clara's cad.  We did see glimpses of memories that told us that Clara was quite the flapper in NYC.  It wouldn't be too far fetched that she would have caught the eye of someone so high profile.

While I don't agree with it, I do think that Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified.  I understand that it was not the time for an interracial relationship.  Esp with someone, like Gloria, who appears to be a socialite out having kicks.  I think that Vera just didn't want her brother hurt in the process.

I honestly could not have figured out who tipped Bastian about Gloria singing at the Green Mill.  I didn't jump to the conclusion it was Lorraine like Gloria did.  I just didn't seem Lorraine doing it.

Sarah-W
0 Kudos

Thanks for joining us, I agree Vera's actions while perhaps not *right* were certainly justified! Thanks for joining us for First Look!

MsTweet wrote:

While I never was quite sure if Marcus' feelings for Clara were genuine, I didn't think that they were part of an elaborate joke.  He just didn't seem capable of it. 

I think Lorraine's behavior will ruin herself in the process.  She is her own worse enemy. 

I wasn't too surprised about Clara's cad.  We did see glimpses of memories that told us that Clara was quite the flapper in NYC.  It wouldn't be too far fetched that she would have caught the eye of someone so high profile.

While I don't agree with it, I do think that Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified.  I understand that it was not the time for an interracial relationship.  Esp with someone, like Gloria, who appears to be a socialite out having kicks.  I think that Vera just didn't want her brother hurt in the process.

I honestly could not have figured out who tipped Bastian about Gloria singing at the Green Mill.  I didn't jump to the conclusion it was Lorraine like Gloria did.  I just didn't seem Lorraine doing it.