Correspondent
TudorRose
0 Kudos

Re: Vixen Discussion: The Rest of Part I p.145 - 271

I was also wondering if Vera is the "stool pigeon" who tipped off Bastian that Gloria was singing at the Green Mill.  It wouldn't be hard for Vera to find out who "Gloria Carson" really is and tip of her seemingly rich finace. 

Or, maybe Bastian went to the club that night to borrow money from the mob and he just happened to see Gloria on stage without anyone spilling the beans. 

So much to think about!

maxcat wrote:

Ah, the plot does thicken and we find out who has been sending Clara all those notes. I wonder what will happen next. I don't think Clara is concerned with Marcus so much. She has other problems on her agenda. The man that has been sending her notes is revealed and evidently, he is quite rich and a catch. She evidently wants nothing to do with him now. The book doesn't reveal why she broke up with him and it really needs to be told. Clara continues with her country mouse ways and tries to help Gloria.

Gloria does have feelings for Jerome and his sister is protective of him. Gloria knows her mother would never approve of Jerome so Gloria has to be careful in concealing her emotions.

Lorraine is in a mess,,,, she did get into a compromising position with Bastion and probably told him of Gloria's intentions of singing at the speakeasy. She is also being blamed by Gloria for that mistake as she doesn't want to talk to her.

Lorraine is catching the attention of Carlito at the speakeasy. It's something to be concerned about as to what part do these gangsters have in the book. Will something happen in the end involving them?

Lorraine, in my opinion will ruin herself. I don't think she will need any help. What she has done to Gloria was a start to that process and it will be hard to recover from it. Gloria can't trust her anymore and at the moment, she doesn't want to speak to Lorraine.

Evidently, the notes were not coming from the lady in the prologue, which makes it even more mysterious. I'm thinking about Vera and how much she wants to protect her brother. Could she be a possibility?

Kimberly from Ohio

"A room without a book is like a body without a soul"
~Marcus Tullius Cicero
Contributor
Arsenic
0 Kudos

I was absolutely struck while reading through this section (just finished, been waiting till the last second to read so that things stay in my head), how telling it is how some of these characters see each other. Raine is unable to see her Gloria as anything but an engaged socialite that is both seemingly prudish and square, but at the same time selfish. Gloria is unable to see Bastian as anything other than a boring, uptight, controlling life sentence that she will be chained to. Gloria only sees her cousin as a ball and chain around her leg, something to be distrusted and laughed at, boring and custodial. And then when Bastian shows up the way both Marcus and Gloria react to Raine strikes me as the most telling of all. Obviously there is mistrust already there if both should assume that Raine is the tattler despite Gloria's misgivings, mere pages before, about coming clean to Clara. They all knew what Clara was there for yet Raine is their first choice of blame? 

This book has already thrown me for a loop and I look forward to where it's going to take me. 

Contributor
flbeachbum
0 Kudos

The second half of Part I contains a lot of action and surprises:

Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke? Meanwhile, the mysterious notes continue until the sender reveals himself during Gloria's debut singing at the Green Mill. I think Marcus really has fallen for Clara, but I think it is the country Clara he has fallen in love with.  Now that it has been revealed that there is the speakeasy-going Clara, I'm wondering if he might stop and realize that she's just like the other girls he normally hooks up with.  I think he was drawn to her because she is different from the debutantes and floozies he normally is around.

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad? Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified? Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill? I had a feeling Clara's Cad would end up being some high society man, but I was skeptical that the notes had anything to do with him.  If this man was willing to track her down all the way from NYC, she obviously meant something to him.  Part of me wonders if Aunt Bea knows about Cad.  As for Vera, I think she is wise to help keep Jerome away from a white girl at the speakeasy simply because of the stereotype of women that tend to frequent places like that.  I think Bastian is smarter than we give him credit for.  He knows marrying Gloria is a business transaction and clearly plans on playboy-ing around even after he is married.  I have a feeling that he, like Raine, found about Gloria's alternative lifestyle by simply doing a little detective work.

Contributor
myroadsoflife
0 Kudos

I am loving this book!  I have only recently discovered that I like Young Adult books and this one really sucked me in!  I have to say that I really am not liking Lorraine's character (only because I have known people like her), but she does add an interesting element to the story.  She seems to find herself in trouble no matter what decision she makes, but then does not identify it as trouble.  I do like that she wants to have her friend back, she just doesn't know how to go about getting her back in a realistic way that doesn't involve scheming.  I am so intrigued by how the book will end.  Great read!

Contributor
Purple_kitty23
0 Kudos

Welcome Jill!!!

Purple_kitty23 : )
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

VermontCozy.wrote     Now that we know who has been sending her "The Notes "and a prominent person that Marcus recognizes,that mystery is solved sort of,but still worried about Clara.....I think Marcus at the beginning was just going along with Gloria's plot  To Keep Clara busy..but I think he is really taken with "Country Clara" ,especially after he see's her All Decked out  Looking so Beautiful at "Gloria's 'Debut"..another spin.. Gloria's attraction to Jerome is real,in her mind  And also rebellious...So extreme .Being engaged to Bastian,who is the worst of the characters Jerome is although taboo..a Breath of Fresh air...I can't be for certain,but hoping that Gloria leaves Bastian,does not believe that Lorraine kissed him and I have no idea, who told 'Gloria's Fiance,unless it was Vera who found out about   Bastian,and had him come to the club to See for himself,that Gloria's is Headlining..I also think Lorraine will have a brief affair with Carlito..I just hope she doesn't get hurt physically..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Correspondent
TudorRose
0 Kudos

Carissa,

I also thought this scene was important to the plot of the story.  I was curious as to why Gloria feels so passionatly about Bastian not cheating on her, since she doesn't feel passionately about him, at all.  Thought that was interesting.  Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

ccshealy wrote:

I actually was very surprised by the identity of Clara's Cad.  For some reason, after reading the scene with Lorraine and Bastian at Bastian's apartment, I suddenly got this feeling that the Cad would somehow turn out to be Bastian and that Gloria's anger would end up directed at Clara rather than Lorraine.  I thought I had cleverly figured it all out, so yes I was surprised!

One thing I cannot get over is how everyone in this story is just manipulating everyone else!  They are all supposed to be friends, yet they are overrun by jealousy and each one is so incredibly selfish.  They are all just using each other to achieve their own personal wants.  I will not be surprised if everything blows up in their faces and they all end up hating each other by the end!

I was also very intrigued in this section by the scene in which Lorraine shows Gloria her dad's gun cabinet and even takes one of the guns out and shows it to her.  I wondered if this is where the handgun in the prologue scene will eventually come from?  Coming on the heels of Gloria's comment that "if Bastian ever touched another girl, I would get a gun and shoot him dead," and Lorraine's decision not to tell Gloria about kissing Bastian, I am really in suspense about where the scene from the prologue will eventually lead. 

I can't wait to keep reading and find out what happens next!

~Carissa

Kimberly from Ohio

~Marcus Tullius Cicero
Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

I am really liking where is book is going.  I am so glad to see some new characters and so more edge to the story.  It is amazing how you can keep layering a story ...can't wait to discuss the ending! 

You are the author of your own life story.
Frequent Contributor
mommybooknerd
0 Kudos

Plus that Bastian will have a turn of bad luck at some point, I can feel it in my gut!

You are the author of your own life story.
Correspondent
TudorRose
0 Kudos

I feel some empathy for Lorraine too.  She reacts out of a place of hurt and abandonment. I think her character has some real potential and she will be pivotal for the conclusion of the novel.  I just hope she opens her eyes and uses for powers for good and not evil! :smileywink:

Tarri wrote:

Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke? Meanwhile, the mysterious notes continue until the sender reveals himself during Gloria's debut singing at the Green Mill.

I have to agree with Clara, I'm not sure if Marcus really likes Clara or if it's part the joke.  All I know is that I am hoping that Marcus likes the real Clara, who I believe may be more Country Clara than she realizes.  She is most definitely my favorite person in this book.

I was surprised when the sender revealed himself, it was so much less sinister than I thought.  I really thought it was Aunt Bea trying to keep Clara in line and under her thumb. 

Gloria is sneaking around to rehearse with Jerome for her debut at the Green Mill. She definitely has feelings for Jerome, but knows her family would never approve. She must also contend with Jerome's jealous sister Vera who wants Gloria as far away from her brother as possible.

I get the impression that Vera is not only jealous, but also a bit disapproving of Gloria and has the idea that Jerome will be better off with one of Vera's friends.

Lorraine's envy is eating her alive. Her provocative behavior has gained the attention Carlito Macharelli, the son of the gangster who owns the Green Mill. She's also managed to get herself into a compromising position with Gloria's fiance Bastian. Will she get even with Gloria? Or just ruin herself in the process?

I know I am the only one here, but I really feel just a little bit sorry for Lorraine, everything she touches explodes on her.  I know she has brought a lot of her problems on herself, but you wonder where the parents of these young people are and if this type of hands off parenting is indicative of the wealthy during this time period. 

I don't think she will get even with Gloria, and it looks like she is going to ruin herself and cause havoc for all her [used to be] friends. 

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad? Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified? Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?

I was not surprised by the identity of Clara's cad, I hope he doesn't get to her again and that she and Marcus end up together. 

No, I don't think Vera's protectiveness is justified.  Jerome is old enough to make his own decisions; however, I think family members are protective of each other. I know I am with my three sisters.  

I think Lorraine tipped off Bastian during her drunken visit. I don't think she meant to, but this book sure brings home the effectiveness of a minimum legal drinking age. 

Welcome Jill and thank you for sharing your book with us.  I, for one, cannot wait to finish The Vixen and read the next chapter. 

Kimberly from Ohio

~Marcus Tullius Cicero
Correspondent
TudorRose
0 Kudos

I agree.  Real change comes from within not without.  Changing your persona may change how other people see you, but it doesn't necessarily change who you are at your core.

As the novel progresses, we will see the real people behind the masks as they are dropped.

Sarah-W wrote:

It occurred to me that perhaps the kind of person Clara is will show through regardless of what persona she's wearing... I wonder if the same thing could be said of the rest of the characters. What do you think?

lcnh1 wrote:
Clara has been my favorite character so far as well.  At first she was a little annoying with the playacting that she was doing - trying to be country Clara.  As time went on though, I think its becoming less of an act.  She still misses her other life but unlike the other girls, she knows the dangers of the lifestyle they want to lead.  I think the person that she is pretending to be is really the type of person that she is.

Kimberly from Ohio

~Marcus Tullius Cicero
Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom
0 Kudos

I thought about that as well, why didn't anyone hear them take the car and why did Clara hear Marcus's car when he left her room?    Sounds like it just fit the script because other wise it's not jiving with me!

"Open a book and the world is yours"
Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom
0 Kudos

I'm also thinking Jessica Rabbit now that I've seen it on these posts and I love the illusion!

MissShopaholic wrote:

Well to start off - I'm totally proud for Gloria.  I'm imagining a Jessica Rabbit with a bob. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Superbookworm
0 Kudos

ccshealy wrote:

I actually was very surprised by the identity of Clara's Cad.  For some reason, after reading the scene with Lorraine and Bastian at Bastian's apartment, I suddenly got this feeling that the Cad would somehow turn out to be Bastian and that Gloria's anger would end up directed at Clara rather than Lorraine.  I thought I had cleverly figured it all out, so yes I was surprised!

I was surprised too.  I thought stalker would be someone closer to Clara and Gloria especially because he was able to leave her notes in her bedroom.
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

It goes with the lack of parental supervision we can see in the book. I just figured that the parents were either gone for the evening, or in a place where they couldn't hear what was going on. They seem to be sorely lacking in concern about their children.

literature wrote:

It's been bothering me that Lorraine or Gloria would take their father's car late at night and no one ever heard the car engine.  Yet, after Marcus left Clara's room, "Clara heard Marcus's car start up in the drive."  Amazing, or did it just fit the script at that point?

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

mommybooknerd wrote:

Plus that Bastian will have a turn of bad luck at some point, I can feel it in my gut!

I too think that something big is going to surround Bastian.  He's not who he pretends to be.  He made that clear when Lorraine was at his apartment and he pulled out the liquor, telling her that who he is in public is not who he is in the privacy of his home.  I think he is desperate - desperate to hang on to wealth and society, which is why he's marrying Gloria.  Since he is so controlling, I think he would go to any end to get what he wants/feels entitled to.  He acts like he's doing Gloria a huge favor...when in fact she's probably doing more of a favor to him by marrying him.  Maybe some of his rage in finding Gloria on stage was due more to the fact that her "image" will be sullied if "society" finds out what she's up to.  I doubt it has anything to do with her personally.

b

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Tarri, you are not alone in your thoughts about Lorraine. I posted before that I feel sorry for her and I continue to feel that way. She wants to fit in, to be popular, and is doing the things she thinks will set her apart that way. But, as we have seen in the first two sections, things do not go her way. I don't think she is intentionally mean or ditzy. She is just trying to fit in somewhere. Her parents are certainly no help in that department.

Tarri wrote:

Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke? Meanwhile, the mysterious notes continue until the sender reveals himself during Gloria's debut singing at the Green Mill.

I have to agree with Clara, I'm not sure if Marcus really likes Clara or if it's part the joke.  All I know is that I am hoping that Marcus likes the real Clara, who I believe may be more Country Clara than she realizes.  She is most definitely my favorite person in this book.

I was surprised when the sender revealed himself, it was so much less sinister than I thought.  I really thought it was Aunt Bea trying to keep Clara in line and under her thumb. 

Gloria is sneaking around to rehearse with Jerome for her debut at the Green Mill. She definitely has feelings for Jerome, but knows her family would never approve. She must also contend with Jerome's jealous sister Vera who wants Gloria as far away from her brother as possible.

I get the impression that Vera is not only jealous, but also a bit disapproving of Gloria and has the idea that Jerome will be better off with one of Vera's friends.

Lorraine's envy is eating her alive. Her provocative behavior has gained the attention Carlito Macharelli, the son of the gangster who owns the Green Mill. She's also managed to get herself into a compromising position with Gloria's fiance Bastian. Will she get even with Gloria? Or just ruin herself in the process?

I know I am the only one here, but I really feel just a little bit sorry for Lorraine, everything she touches explodes on her.  I know she has brought a lot of her problems on herself, but you wonder where the parents of these young people are and if this type of hands off parenting is indicative of the wealthy during this time period. 

I don't think she will get even with Gloria, and it looks like she is going to ruin herself and cause havoc for all her [used to be] friends. 

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad? Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified? Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill?

I was not surprised by the identity of Clara's cad, I hope he doesn't get to her again and that she and Marcus end up together. 

No, I don't think Vera's protectiveness is justified.  Jerome is old enough to make his own decisions; however, I think family members are protective of each other. I know I am with my three sisters.  

I think Lorraine tipped off Bastian during her drunken visit. I don't think she meant to, but this book sure brings home the effectiveness of a minimum legal drinking age. 

Welcome Jill and thank you for sharing your book with us.  I, for one, cannot wait to finish The Vixen and read the next chapter. 

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Contributor
WyattMills

Well to start I have to say Wow, this section really picked up the pace of the book! It took a lot to put it down after finished the second part of this section.

now on to the discussion:

Marcus takes Clara for a night on the town, but Clara can't tell if he likes her or her Country Clara persona. Are his feelings genuine or part of an elaborate joke? I honestly think Marcus is developing honest feelings for Clara and he's not sure how to handle them. He's used to being the play boy and for the first time he's truly interested in someone. I'm curious to see where this takes him. I'm beginning to like Marcus more and more as his character develops the more I read.

Lorraine's envy is eating her alive. Her provocative behavior has gained the attention Carlito Macharelli, the son of the gangster who owns the Green Mill. She's also managed to get herself into a compromising position with Gloria's fiance Bastian. Will she get even with Gloria? Or just ruin herself in the process? I think Lorraine is a bit of a fish out of water at this point. she's jealous of her best friend at this point who is having to mature a bit faster than her. Gloria is having to deal with the fact that her parents are divorcing and that her engagement is an arranged deal and not the love match she had originally felt. The fact that Glo has kept this from Raine has hurt their friendship and made Raine feel left out and left behind and makes her want to lash out. If she doesn't realize what she's doing I'm afraid she's going to ruin herself in the process. The attention from the gangster Carlito throws a bit of intrigue into the mix though. This could be interesting.

What did you think of the revelations that happen at the end of Part I? Are you surprised by the identity of Clara's cad? Do you think Vera's protectiveness of her brother is justified? Who do you think tipped off Bastian that his fiancee is singing at the Green Mill

I have to say I was very happy with the revelations at the end of Part I. I was worried that the book wasn't going to take off, but it sure has. I love the twist with the identity of Clara's cad and can't wait to find out his motivation behind the notes and why he followed her. Does he really love her, does he really want her. What really happened in NY? Is he mental? Is there something else mentally we need to worry about with that situation? Vera's protectiveness is completely justified for her brother, especially in that time period. I really like Vera and can't wait to see what else she brings to the table in the rest of the book. As far as who tipped Bastian off, I wouldn't put it past him to have put a little something in Raine's drink and coaxed it out of her when she stopped by his apartment. It's also possible that he could be having Glo followed. But I will say at this point I do not like him, he is a swine and needs a good beat down, hitting on his fiancé's best friend. I mean come on!!

Can't wait to keep reading. I admit I may break down and finish the book before the next discussion just to find out what happens. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
I_heart_you
0 Kudos

I_heart_you wrote:

Ooooh lots of good stuff going on here! Things have really picked up speed! While the first part of the book was good, part two is even better! 

What I meant to say here was the end of part one, NOT part two. I said part two simply because it was the second section that we read.

I'm a geek and I love it!
Inspired Contributor
Kittysmom

Hi pen21, I think I'm going to have to disagree with you about Bastian just going to the club and happening to find Gloria there.  Someone had told him and I'm not quite sure who I believe it is but I am leaning toward Lorraine because she wants to be like Gloria and is a little jealous of what Gloria has and somehow wants to spoil it for her, even if she is her best friend.  Or maybe she is trying to help Glo to get out of her arranged marriage to Bastian, hoping that he would discard her once he found out about her secret.

Your thought was interesting though, so we will see!