Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

A Life Changing Meal

Most folks who are passionate about food can point to a life-changing meal that they enjoyed at some point (or perhaps more than one). What was yours?

In my senior year of high school, I was an exchange student in France. My first night's meal was more than a little unnerving; I could barely understand the language, was in a strange home, and was just this side of petrified I'd commit some egregious social gaffe.

For dinner, I was served "lapin" (that's rabbit). I had a pet rabbit. I chose not to bring this up. I just ate, and ate, and once I got over the fact that this rabbit was, ahem, a rabbit I started to really enjoy it. My host family was kind and felt that if they couldn't communicate their generosity and hospitality with me verbally, well then they'd show it to me in a language we could all understand -- food. From then on, my breakfasts had 3 to 5 courses (as did my bring-to-school lunches). Desserts and wines with every meal. 

But that rabbit, that's the one I remember best. I was determined not to be an ungracious, and to keep my cool no matter what happened. I did not expect to be served my pet. But when I went with it, I learned. Probably has a lot to do with why I'm an omnivore today.

How about you?

Allison

B&N Bookseller
melissas

Re: A Life Changing Meal

Ok, my life changing meal wasn't as extravagant as yours, but it's the one that comes to mind when you ask.

It was the first time my husband (then boyfriend) cooked for me. I went to his apartment and he was just starting to cook shrimp scampi. It was in the middle of summer, terribly hot in a tiny apartment with no air conditioner. He took forever because he insisted on deveining dozens and dozens of shrimp himself, all the while the appliances were on, making it hotter. Finally, he finished, and the shrimp had the most perfect amount of butter and garlic that I could have asked for. I had brought a frozen margarita pie that I made at home earlier. After we gorged ourselves on the two, we went to the park to play frisbee.

The combination of the activity, the heat, and all the food (especially the alcoholic pie) I ate eventually got to me. Needless to say, I got sick all over the place! Anyway, it clearly impacted my life, most importanly because we're happily married now. And he still likes to make shrimp scampi! :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Re: A Life Changing Meal

Great story, Melissa! Very romantic -- though maybe at first you didn't think so, but having someone else cook for you in a hot kitchen is sweet.

Does anyone else have any kitchen romance stories?

Allison