Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Author Visit 12/15-16 1-2PM EST: Tal Ronnen

Tal Ronnen is the author of The Conscious Cook, a beautiful vegan cookbook that promises to "change the way you eat". Tal was Oprah's chef during her 2008 vegan cleanse, has catered for celebrity clients and  consults to restaurants.

concious cook

I'm most excited about Tal's book because he takes food seriously; a quick flip though the book makes it clear that he wants his dishes to be stunning (though not too fussy), tasty, and meat-free (in that order). I cannot wait to try his dishes, from the foccacia to the beet mosaic salad to the incredibly creamy desserts like vanilla bean panna cotta and tropical tapioca.

Welcome, Tal!

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Re: Author Visit 12/15-16 1-2PM EST: Tal Ronnen

[ Edited ]

Tal, 

Many of your recipes call for Cashew Cream, which you explain how to make quite clearly in the book. It sounds wonderful -- as an ingredient or just something to have a spoonful of (a la Skippy). Is there a list of five lesser known ingredients (purchaseable or homemade) that you think a vegan cook (or any cook, really) could have in the pantry that will help make their cooking extraordinary? An insider's scoop, if you will?

In other words -- what ingredients can't you live without?

Also, could you tell me about your eating life before you started cooking vegan, what helped you to make the transition, and why you made it? Are you vegan? If so, for how long. If not, why not?

Thank you -- you've created a beautiful and unique cookbook,

Allison

New User
pkward
0 Kudos

One thing I love about cooking vegetarian is how specific and regional it can be - Mediterranean is an obvious and delicious style for meat-free cooking, as is Indian. One benefit of sticking to a region is the way it helps you develop a go-to pantry of spices, herbs and basic ingredients. I find that the biggest challenge with cooking vegetables is that the amount I purchase (due to packaging, or just because a bunch of cilantro is one heck of a lot of cilantro for one meal) is too much to be used in one or two meals, so there's a risk of vegetables becoming science projects. 

One thing that I've always wanted is to get vegetarian recipes that FINISH with suggestions about what to do in case I have "ingredient leftovers", especially perishable ones. This may seem obvious to the kind of cook that figures out what to fix by looking at what's about to go bad in the fridge, but that's not me! (Although my lovely wife does that very well.)

Author
Tal_Ronnen
0 Kudos

My favorite ingredients are fresh! Ingredients like produce, and I like to choose vegetables based on the seasons. Some of my other favorite ingredients to cook with include coconut oil, raw cashews and good quality vinegars. 

Been veg for 19 years vegan for 11!

Author
Tal_Ronnen
0 Kudos

if you learn the basics of pickling, thats a great way of using left over fresh veggies and herbs. really fun too!

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

I've got to follow up -- what do you consider a "good quality" vinegar? Name names!

And what "fresh" produce are you cooking with right now?

Since you bring up pickling -- what are the basics? Could you give me an overview for quick pickling (nothing to put on the shelves, but something to do with PKWard's aging vegetables?

Thank you!

Allison

Author
Tal_Ronnen
0 Kudos

Getting in really nice Brussels sprouts now …

Some basics for pickling:

Using a 4:1 ratio bring vinegar, sugar and seasonings you like to a boil in a saucepan.  Cover for 5 min, then add your cut veggies. Remove from heat and transfer to a glass container and refrigerate

Author
Tal_Ronnen
0 Kudos

very cool new vinegar i've started using http://blisgourmet.com/Products/vinegar.html

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Tal,

Thank you so much for your visit, and your suggestions.

Have a wonderful holiday; we look forward to your next book!

Best,

Allison