Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Barefoot Contessa Cooking Club

Hey there,

I've just received the Barefoot Contessa's Back to Basics. I've never cooked a Contessa recipe (though I've eaten many that have been prepared by my friends), and I'm eager to start!

What are your favorite Contessa recipes? Do you have this cookbook & would you like to cook with me?

I look forward to sharing what I learn in this space. 

Allison

New User
dlberke
0 Kudos

Re: Barefoot Contessa Cooking Club

We absolutely love her recipe for oatmeal, pecan, raising cookies. We've converted it to be a gluten free recipe but I'm sure the original is just as good!

New User
nic20red
0 Kudos

all of her recipes are super easy and soooo good.  Good luck!!

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman

Terrific. How did you change her oatmeal cookies to be Gluten Free?

Here are the recipes I'm thinking about trying (from Back To Basics). Care to vote? I'll send around the recipes that I like the best when I'm done...

Parmesan & Thyme Crackers p. 30

Savory Palmiers p. 43

Roasted Pears with Blue Cheese p. 96

Easy Sole Meuniere p. 131

Roasted Turkey Roulade p. 109

Dinner Spanakopitas p. 149

Chive Risotto Cakes p. 174

Pumpkin Roulade with Ginger Buttercream. p. 212

Old-Fashioned Gingerbread p. 202 

Best,

Allison

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Hello there,

I decided to go with the following recipes from Ina:

Parmesan & Thyme Crackers p. 30

Easy Sole Meuniere p. 131

Pumpkin Roulade with Ginger Buttercream. p. 212

The crackers are a keeper -- I will be making them again. They were buttery, crumbly sable cookies; a perfect way to welcome guests, paired with a glass of wine. Very simple recipe; just 5 ingredients. Easy process. Remember to slice them thin.

Sole Meuniere was also simple and wonderful -- with equal parts lemon juice and butter, it was both creamy and tangy. I used local flounder as I didn't have sole, and was happy with the decision. This was very simple, yet still elegant.

Unfortunately, I did not have as much success with the Pumpkin Roulade. There was too much filling, and it was too gingery; I will reduce the amount of crystalized ginger by half next time. Also, keep the filling in the fridge until you're ready to use it or it gets too soft. Also, many times recipe writers will have you roll the sheet of cake immediately after it comes out of the oven. When you roll the cake immediately after removing from the oven, the it collapses and deflates. Next time I will let it cool just a bit, so that it stays pliable but doesn't collapse.

What other Ina recipes have you enjoyed making? I'm very eager to hear about your successes in our Ina thread.

Allison

Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

I love all the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks, they are  fun to read and flip through and the recipes are so easy. I bought  the Back to Basics cookbook a while back, but haven't had a chance to cook a whole lot out of it yet. I did the Tuscan Lemon chicken I believe it was called and it was good. But I'm definitely going to flip through it and try something things out.

This recipe isn't in Back to Basics, but there is a famous Ina recipe that I've been wanting to try..I'm just a little nervous! Its the 40 Cloves of Garlic Chicken. I know its in one of her previous cookbooks, I've heard its really good and that the garlic mellows once its been cooking but I've just been too nervous to try it out. It sounds overpowering....have you ever heard/tried out this recipe?

-----------Willowy----------
Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

I have, Willowy, and I encourage you to try it!

Yes, garlic really mellows when you cook it -- it becomes soft, rich and delicious, and very easy to eat. Have you had roasted garlic before? It's like that. Please try it and let us know how it goes.

I'm glad to hear the Tuscan chicken is good; I'm very eager to try it.

Allison

New User
geb7
0 Kudos

I generally like Ina Garten recipes and have had much success in the ones that I have tried. I don't remember which books they come from, but I have made the Roasted Eggplant spread, the Lemon Cake with Raspberry sauce, and the Homemade Granola Bars.

The Roasted Eggplant spread has become a favorite. It is great to have for parties. The Lemon Cake is absolutely divine. It takes a lot of time to make, but oh so worth it.

I liked to Granola Bars well enough, but then found a modification on Smitten Kitchen. I now make them frequently, but without the brown sugar and butter.

This has inspired me. I think I'll have the sole meuniere for dinner tonight! Something easy before the big Thanksgiving feast.

New User
Seattle-Girl
0 Kudos

I've tried the niman ranch burgers with caramelized onions. It is a great recipe and the type of beef you choose to use is very flexible. I like to use extra lean ground beef. I find that with the olive oil in the recipe the burgers are moist without having too much fat. The dijon mustard definitely adds a really nice touch. My husband loves the caramelized onions. They add a nice sweetness.

New User
Seattle-Girl
0 Kudos

I've made the chicken with forty cloves and it is really good. There is obviously a garlic taste, but it is by no means too much. I like to serve it with mashed potatoes. This recipe is in my regular rotation.

New User
saucychick
0 Kudos

Back to Basics is pure Ina: Recipes are flavorful, perfect for entertaining and can be made in one's lifetime. Directions are simple and straightforward.Try the Chocolate French Bark, and serve it just as she suggests -- with oranges and a semisweet sparkling wine. Perfect. It's also a nice alternative to passing out chocolate truffles at the end of a holiday party (my signal that it's time for folks to go home!)

New User
pattyparty
0 Kudos

Hi!  I just recieved The Barefoot Contessa  Back to Basics Cookbook.  I am also looking forward to making the recipes. .I see that you posted this in September. How are you doing with the cookbook and do you have lots of favorite recipes? Thank you so much!  I really love Ina and every recipe I have made of hers .. I have been very pleased with.  Patty

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Yes, Ina is terrific. Try the cheese coins -- they are like crackers, but so crumbly and delicious. Really wonderful. 

Good luck!

Allison