Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Cookbooks

I am a cookbook addict. I love to add new cookbooks and recipes from cooking magazines to my collection. Everything from the old standby, Betty Crocker's Cookbook to cookbooks like Eat This Book, Everyday Italian, Lidia's Italian American Kitchen, and Mario Batali's cookbooks. I even have a Hawaiian cookbook that I bought on my honeymoon 29 years ago.

In fact the first cookbook I remember as a child was a Betty Crocker on. A dark binder with a lattice pie on the cover, if I remember correctly. It had recipes for a phenomenal Williamsburg Orange cake, a Lord Baltimore cake, and Snickerdoodles (which are my husband's favorite). When I got married, my first cookbook was the latest Betty Crocker version, which I only replaced last year. I even have cookbooks just on pancakes, cookies, and risottos.

I'm always on the lookout for new cookbooks and would be happy to get some recommendations.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Contributor
humbrd33
0 Kudos

Re: Cookbooks

I too am a lover of cookbooks. I will pick any cookbook and sit down and 'read' it. I can look at the recipes and photos for hours and dream of cooking and baking everything one day (which I never do!).

Kim
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

I have a lot of ideas so hardly know where to start. Can you help by narrowing down what sort of book you're looking for?

In addition to the three classics we're discussing in the Classic Cookbooks forum I've been using two great books a lot lately: Elizabeth Rozin's Ethnic Cuisine and Suvir Saran's Indian Home Cooking. So there's a start!

I'm interested to hear other people's recommendations!
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

LOL - it's hard to ask a lover of cookbooks to narrow it down, but I'll try. :smileywink: I love both Italian and dessert cookbooks. I've been looking at the Silver Spoon. I'm very interested in finding a good Spanish cookbook as well. Maybe even Greek and/or Portugese cookbooks. I like to try different things, particularly in the winter months. Also holidays cookbooks are a lot of fun. Thanks for the recommendations you've already made.

ChefJon wrote:
I have a lot of ideas so hardly know where to start. Can you help by narrowing down what sort of book you're looking for?

In addition to the three classics we're discussing in the Classic Cookbooks forum I've been using two great books a lot lately: Elizabeth Rozin's Ethnic Cuisine and Suvir Saran's Indian Home Cooking. So there's a start!

I'm interested to hear other people's recommendations!

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks, Liz that makes it easier! For parts of Spain, Greece and the Mediterranean in general my go-to books are Paula Wolfert's Mediterranean Cooking and Clifford Wright's A Mediterranean Feast. The recipes in both are really well-tested and there's some good cultural/historical context in both, but especially in Wright.

I'll be interested to read what others think about these and other recommendations...

LizzieAnn wrote:
LOL - it's hard to ask a lover of cookbooks to narrow it down, but I'll try. :smileywink: I love both Italian and dessert cookbooks. I've been looking at the Silver Spoon. I'm very interested in finding a good Spanish cookbook as well. Maybe even Greek and/or Portugese cookbooks. I like to try different things, particularly in the winter months. Also holidays cookbooks are a lot of fun. Thanks for the recommendations you've already made.

Message Edited by ChefJon on 11-04-200604:36 PM

Message Edited by ChefJon on 11-04-200604:37 PM

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Thanks for the recommendations. I looked up them up, and both cookbooks look extremely interesting, particularly Wright's.

ChefJon wrote:
Thanks, Liz that makes it easier! For parts of Spain, Greece and the Mediterranean in general my go-to books are Paula Wolfert's Mediterranean Cooking and Clifford Wright's A Mediterranean Feast. The recipes in both are really well-tested and there's some good cultural/historical context in both, but especially in Wright.

I'll be interested to read what others think about these and other recommendations...
Liz ♥ ♥

Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Yes, I'd say if you're choosing one and want a book of great recipes go for Wolfert. If you're after the history and culture along with some good recipes go with Wright.
Contributor
paris221966
0 Kudos

Hi Liz,

Heard great reviews about Mario Batali's cookbooks and Giada's cookbooks. I'm looking forward to purchasing them! Have you ever eaten at Mario's restaurant, Babbo?

I'd like to recommend Les Halles Cookbook by Anthony Bourdain. I'm reading it now and wow, I'm SO impressed! Classic Bistro Cooking ~ French style. This book has a bite to it though. Not like your average cookbook but that's why I like it so much. Anthony was Executive Chef at Les Halles (Manhattan) for many years but now travels all over the world for his show called Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. It airs on the Travel Channel.

Liz
Washington State
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I've seen Anthony Bourdain's show a few times so I'm familiar with the name. I like the idea of a cookbook with bite (no pun intended :smileyhappy: ) that I'll definitely check it out next time I'm at B&N. I have both of Giada's books and Batali's Molto Italiano, and they're all great. I've never had the pleasure at eating at any of Mario's restaurants when I've been downstate - they're almost impossible to get reservations for; but, I keep hoping! Thanks for the recommendation.

paris221966 wrote:
Hi Liz,

Heard great reviews about Mario Batali's cookbooks and Giada's cookbooks. I'm looking forward to purchasing them! Have you ever eaten at Mario's restaurant, Babbo?

I'd like to recommend Les Halles Cookbook by Anthony Bourdain. I'm reading it now and wow, I'm SO impressed! Classic Bistro Cooking ~ French style. This book has a bite to it though. Not like your average cookbook but that's why I like it so much. Anthony was Executive Chef at Les Halles (Manhattan) for many years but now travels all over the world for his show called Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. It airs on the Travel Channel.

Liz
Washington State

Liz ♥ ♥

Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Regarding reservations, if you're not with a big crowd, eating at the bar is usually a safe bet if you don't have a reservation. As these book clubs move forward we hope to have some chefs like the ones you mentioned as special guests. Fingers crossed!
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

ChefJon wrote:
Regarding reservations, if you're not with a big crowd, eating at the bar is usually a safe bet if you don't have a reservation. As these book clubs move forward we hope to have some chefs like the ones you mentioned as special guests. Fingers crossed!

That would be great!!! I'll keep my fingers & toes crossed! :smileyhappy:
Liz ♥ ♥

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

paris221966 wrote:
Hi Liz,

I think Batali did a great job with Molto Italiano -- it captures his style but in a way the home cook can actually use. His basic tomato sauce is a lynchpin in at least one meal a week.

The Babbo Cookbook is nice to look at and actually really well-written, but the recipies are complex and the ingredients hard to find (good luck finding guiancale). That said, anyone who's eaten Babbo's beef cheek ravioli will want to at least check out how it's done. I own it.

That said, the cookbooks I reference the most are Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, and Maria Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking.
Contributor
paris221966
0 Kudos

Wow! I've got my fingers crossed! Two of my favorite chefs as guests?! YAY! ~ Anthony Bourdain and Mario Batali! please, please, please?

Yeah, I agree about the safe bet with sitting at the bar in a crowded restaurant when you don't have reservations. Did just that the other evening after a visit to the Seattle Barnes & Noble! Went to a busy popular place nearby and got a great drink and good food right at the bar.

There were absolutely fantastic cookbooks at the table near the entrance! Saw the new cookbook by Jamie Oliver from his trip to Italy. I could spend hours at Barnes & Noble and leave with a shopping cart full of books ~

Liz
Washington State
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

ChefJon wrote:

The only one of Batali's places that's genuinely difficult to get a reservation for is Babbo. But if you're willing to eat at either 5:45 or 10:30, you can get a reservation the day-of if you call around 3pm... the hardest thing is getting someone to answer the reservation line. You used to be able to walk in by six and get a seat at the bar, but now there is a line waiting for the place to open.
Contributor
paris221966
0 Kudos

BillP wrote:

paris221966 wrote:
Hi Liz,

I think Batali did a great job with Molto Italiano -- it captures his style but in a way the home cook can actually use. His basic tomato sauce is a lynchpin in at least one meal a week.

The Babbo Cookbook is nice to look at and actually really well-written, but the recipies are complex and the ingredients hard to find (good luck finding guiancale). That said, anyone who's eaten Babbo's beef cheek ravioli will want to at least check out how it's done. I own it.

That said, the cookbooks I reference the most are Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, and Maria Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking.

Well I'll definitely have to buy The Babbo Cookbook as well as Molto Italiano. All of the others you mentioned sound great as well ~ Thanks Bill!
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Cookbooks

I agree that Molto Italiano is a great cookbook. Giada's second cookbook, Giada's Family Dinners is also good. I enjoy the look of a good cookbook and definitely one with pictures! I have a cookbook called 1000 Italian Recipes that has some very good recipes, but I rarely refer to it. There are no pictures - just recipe after recipe in green print on ivory pages. It's just not a "fun" cookbook.
Liz ♥ ♥

Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

For a real Italian food devotee I'd also recommend Food and Culture in Italy by Fabio Parasecoli. It's not really a cookbook--though there are recipes--but rather a much-needed primer on Italian food in general.
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

So Liz--do tell--where did you go?
Contributor
paris221966
0 Kudos

ChefJon wrote:
So Liz--do tell--where did you go?

What? Reveal my secret place to go for sipping on Martini's, listening to tunes, and eating good food in a cool Seattle neighborhood? Hmmmm, I don't know Chef Jon ...you let me know when those famous chefs/authors get booked and I'll let you know

:-)
Liz
Washington State
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Fair enough. As a sign of good faith, my favorite spot in Seattle? Via Tribunali.