Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
lnolanbook
0 Kudos

Re: Cookbooks

[ Edited ]
I'd love to recommend TASTY by Roy Finamore, who is a former cookbook editor and renowned foodie. There's a recipe for greens lasagna that is absolutely incredible and fool proof!

Message Edited by ChefJon on 11-13-200607:49 PM

New User
lnolanbook
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Contributor
paris221966
0 Kudos

ChefJon wrote:
Fair enough. As a sign of good faith, my favorite spot in Seattle? Via Tribunali.

(off topic) Mmm, sounds good. Never been there yet but will have to make another trip up there to try it out. I'm sure I'll love it. I recently got the opportunity to eat at Salumi's for lunch. Mario Batali's dad owns it. Line out the door! Best salami I've ever tasted. You don't live in Seattle do you Chef Jon? There's so many restaurants I want to try still.
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

No I don't live there but am usually there once or twice a year on business. It's a great food city!
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Thanks for the recommendation. It's a new book, I see, so would be great to discuss in this forum. I'll try to pick up a copy...
Contributor
paris221966
0 Kudos

I have the Barefoot in Paris cookbook and wow! These French recipes look Fabulous! I can hardly wait to make Chicken with 40 cloves of Garlic or Rosemary Cashews or Filet of Beef au Poivre. Mmmm. There's even a recipe for Blue Cheese Souffle! Very nice book

:-)

Liz
Washington State
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Cookbooks for looks

humbrd33 wrote:
I too am a lover of cookbooks. I will pick any cookbook and sit down and 'read' it. I can look at the recipes and photos for hours and dream of cooking and baking everything one day (which I never do!).

Kim

Ain't that a strange thing? I know that 'disease', too.
:-) ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

barefoot in Paris

key word: simple to make at home
It sounds like a good one and it got positive reviews.
ziki
Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

paris221966 wrote:
I have the Barefoot in Paris cookbook and wow! These French recipes look Fabulous! I can hardly wait to make Chicken with 40 cloves of Garlic or Rosemary Cashews or Filet of Beef au Poivre. Mmmm. There's even a recipe for Blue Cheese Souffle! Very nice book

Liz
Washington State

I love that cookbook! I thought the 40 cloves of garlic chicken for sure would be over powering but it was wonderful. I don't have her new cookbook, but I really enjoy all of the other Barefoot Contessa cookbooks too.
-----------Willowy----------
Contributor
paris221966
0 Kudos

That's what my friend at work said too. Thought it would be overpowered by the taste of garlic but it actually wasn't! It was delicious! I saw her new cookbook at a local bookstore and will definitely get it before Christmas! I like her show on the Food Network but rarely get to watch it because of the time slot (5 p.m - not good for those 8:30 to 5 p.m. workers)

Liz
Washington State
Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

paris221966 wrote:
That's what my friend at work said too. Thought it would be overpowered by the taste of garlic but it actually wasn't! It was delicious! I saw her new cookbook at a local bookstore and will definitely get it before Christmas! I like her show on the Food Network but rarely get to watch it because of the time slot (5 p.m - not good for those 8:30 to 5 p.m. workers)

Liz
Washington State

Ah I have that problem too, I can never seem to watch her show when its on since I'm at work. Thank goodness for TiVo! Im going to look into getting her new cookbook also, I got to flip through it at a local bookstore and it seemed to have alot of good stuff in it. I think of the three cookbooks I have the Barefoot in Paris is my fave, its not exactly everyday fare but I love flipping through it and I'm able to find things for nice dinners. And I always love her desserts!
Frequent Contributor
jmcnaughton
0 Kudos

paris221966 wrote:

Liz
Washington State

Ooooh, yummy. I can't wait to check that one out. Have you tried any of the recipes? Is it made for American cooks? I just got back from three days in Paris (hardly enough time - I must go back) and have been looking for a cookbook, made for American cooks, with simple recipes. I have Julia Child's cookbook, but I just can't get into it. Maybe it's because there aren't any mouth-watering photos of food!
Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

Ya its made for American cooks, most of the recipes are fairly simple too! She also has likes tips and a bit about France and French food and how the french cook things and their kitchens. Plus it has beautiful pictures in it. I'd recommend it
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Ooooh, yummy. I can't wait to check that one out. Have you tried any of the recipes? Is it made for American cooks? I just got back from three days in Paris (hardly enough time - I must go back) and have been looking for a cookbook, made for American cooks, with simple recipes. I have Julia Child's cookbook, but I just can't get into it. Maybe it's because there aren't any mouth-watering photos of food!

Another great French cookbook, not photo-filled, but mouth-watering to me is Richard Olney's Simple French Food. Let us know how you do!
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

TASTY-cookbook

[ Edited ]

lnolanbook wrote:
I'd love to recommend TASTY by Roy Finamore, who is a former cookbook editor and renowned foodie. There's a recipe for greens lasagna that is absolutely incredible and fool proof!

Message Edited by ChefJon on 11-13-200607:49 PM

Hi, I've got the book on your recommendation, it arrived yesterday. I didn't yet try anything from it but I'd be happy to share and also to hear more from others.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 12-28-200608:25 PM

Frequent Contributor
jmcnaughton
0 Kudos

Last weekend I made a French meal from the French Kitchen cookbook and Barefoot in Paris. Pork chops with mustard sauce, gratin dauphinois, and creme caramel. It was very good. I love recipes that start with "1 stick (or whatever measure) butter!"

So now I'm pouring through French cookbooks looking for recipes this weekend. I'm sure that one meal this weekend will be cheese, baguette, and wine! I have some French cheeses I brought home with me from Paris, and the holiday weekend will be the perfect time to eat it.
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

jmcnaughton wrote:
Last weekend I made a French meal from the French Kitchen cookbook and Barefoot in Paris. Pork chops with mustard sauce, gratin dauphinois, and creme caramel. It was very good. I love recipes that start with "1 stick (or whatever measure) butter!"

So now I'm pouring through French cookbooks looking for recipes this weekend. I'm sure that one meal this weekend will be cheese, baguette, and wine! I have some French cheeses I brought home with me from Paris, and the holiday weekend will be the perfect time to eat it.

Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing your culinary success with us. In addition to starting with butter, many French recipes end with monter au buerre "mount with butter," which means adding another nugget at the end. At the risk of repeating myself, you may want to join us in the Julie and Julia book club where author Julie Powell shares her experiences cooking all 524 butter-laden recipes from Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking over the course of a year. It's sure to be rich.
Frequent Contributor
jmcnaughton
0 Kudos

Hi Chef Jon,

I just got my Julie/Julia book and hope to start it this weekend. See you at both clubs.

Happy New Year to all.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm new here but I thought I'd chime in. I love anything by Tyler Florence, Ina Garten and Anthony Bourdain. Anthony's cookbook is a scream, you have to sit there and read it like a book. He throws in all these little comments in the recipes - warning, don't dare admit to him you own a garlic press! I also love coffee, ice tea, and vegetarian cookbooks. I have about 4 or 5 shelves of cookbooks and I'm currently collecting kids cookbooks and teaching my kids to cook. I have kids that are 10, 7, 4, 2, and one more on the way. Weekly I'm letting each of the 3 oldest pick their own menus, make shopping lists, and then I'll help them prepare and serve their creations.
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Thanks, Kristy, and welcome to the book club! These comments are great as when we try to line up authors for future months we look here to see what interests people.