Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Cooking Club Book Club

[ Edited ]

Hey there Food & Drink posters, 

I'd like to try something new on our board for the month of May, and would love to hear what you think of the idea. Would you like to read a book together, try some recipes and discuss it on the board? 

Here are my suggestions for our May read: 

I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti 

Naturally Thin

EnLIGHTened (disclaimer: this is written by a high school pal of mine)

Spiced 

Let me know what you think of the idea, and which book you'd like to read together. I look forward to hearing from you -- please have your votes in by April 24th. 

Best,

TWS

Message Edited by The_Wooden_Spoon on 04-16-2009 09:12 PM
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Cooking Club Book Club

The_Wooden_Spoon wrote:

Hey there Food & Drink posters, 

I'd like to try something new on our board for the month of May, and would love to hear what you think of the idea. Would you like to read a book together, try some recipes and discuss it on the board? 

Here are my suggestions for our May read: 

I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti 

Naturally Thin

EnLIGHTened (disclaimer: this is written by a high school pal of mine)

Spiced 

Let me know what you think of the idea, and which book you'd like to read together. I look forward to hearing from you -- please have your votes in by April 24th. 

Best,

TWS

Message Edited by The_Wooden_Spoon on 04-16-2009 09:12 PM

Well the thought of 12 recipes books a year, is a bit too much. I just don't need anymore noncultural food books. When I do pick up a new one it's very specific.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I like the idea.  I will go along with whatever book the rest of the book decides on
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

We're coming down to the wire on voting, and so far I've got one vote for "not so much" and one for "whatever you want".

Here's what I'm thinking: I'm really curious about Naturally Thin -- it's a runaway best seller and I want to know why (besides the obvious promotional power of Real Housewives). Loved, Lost sounds like fun, and I can't wait to read my friend Jess' book because she's gone through a complete transformation which she attributes to yoga (and has offered to do a Q&A for us, so what the heck?!)

My tendency is to read all three, set up separate threads, and get this cookbookclub ball a-rolling.

What do you say?

TWS

Message Edited by The_Wooden_Spoon on 04-21-2009 04:21 PM
Reader
Chelle007
0 Kudos

Sure, i'll give it a try.......count me in!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

The_Wooden_Spoon wrote:

We're coming down to the wire on voting, and so far I've got one vote for "not so much" and one for "whatever you want".

Here's what I'm thinking: I'm really curious about Naturally Thin -- it's a runaway best seller and I want to know why (besides the obvious promotional power of Real Housewives). Loved, Lost sounds like fun, and I can't wait to read my friend Jess' book because she's gone through a complete transformation which she attributes to yoga (and has offered to do a Q&A for us, so what the heck?!)

My tendency is to read all three, set up separate threads, and get this cookbookclub ball a-rolling.

What do you say?

TWS

Message Edited by The_Wooden_Spoon on 04-21-2009 04:21 PM

If you did it that way. Hmm a real person preview isn't a bad idea really. (shrug)

It might be good to get some future sugesstions that way.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm game

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hear ye, year ye! The voting has been closed, and the votes have been counted (well, sorta). Here is what we can look forward four our May CookBookClub selections:

Naturally Thin, by Bethenny Frankel

I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti, By Giulia Melucci

EnLIGHTened, by Jessica Berger Gross 

I'll set up a folder for each book, and we can look forward to discussing (and cooking from) these selections throughout the month of May. I am also happy to contact the author to see if she will answer any questions we may have. Sound good?

In the meantime, let's start thinking about what we can nominate for June -- nominations will be gathered throughout the month, closing on 6/15 and open for voting until 6/25. Although our May selections are all new releases, by all means -- pick your favorite oldies-but-goodies, as long as they're still in print so that we can all share in the fun!

Best,

TWS 

Message Edited by The_Wooden_Spoon on 04-27-2009 01:41 PM
Message Edited by The_Wooden_Spoon on 04-27-2009 01:42 PM
Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Hey folks,

Well I think it's fair to say that our May Cooking Club Book Club was a bust. I got to read three new books, but I'm apparently the only one who wants to yap about them :-).

So let's try something new -- for the coming months, with your help, I'm going to pick authors to interview right here on our Book Club. So instead of us discussing the book -- we'll have a Q&A with the author him or her self.

How does that sound?
Allison
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Honestly I think that may be better.  I really did try to get around to reading the books that were picked up but I just never had the time.  I apologize for that since I said I would be willing to do the reading.

Interacting with different authors may get more people interested in the board and in the books that are picked to discuss.

Frequent Contributor
JosieKramer
0 Kudos

HI

I actually just found this area and would love to participate.  So if you guys find any good "healthy eating" books and want to talk about them, let me know!

www.thebookjournal.com
Josie Kramer
honest. book. reviews.
Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Hey Josie,

Thanks for the post. We were thinking about moving ahead with author interviews this month, as the cookbook club thing wasn't drawing a lot of interest. But if you're interested, that's a good enough start for me. Any books titles that are of interest to you? I know you were interested in "healthy" -- anything specific?

Thanks for posting!

Allison

Frequent Contributor
JosieKramer
0 Kudos

Hi.

Anything that is healthy living I would be into trying and blogging about.  (I would also end up reviewing the book)  The only reason I say healthy is because I am trying to change my eating habits. 

But if you find any other books that you would like to concentrate on, there are always "cheat days!"

www.thebookjournal.com
Josie Kramer
honest. book. reviews.
Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Let's do this: Barefoot Contessa's (Ina Garten) most recent book, Back to Basics came out a year ago. The recipes look simple, tasty, and delicious, yet I haven't cooked from it yet. I'm going to start, and I'd love to chat about your experience with the Contessa.  

From the perspective of "healthy", I often believe that simple is best. High on the fruit and vegetables, low on the added fats. Let's see what kind of flavor the Contessa delivers. This book isn't about healthy cooking per se, but I bet we can find some good healthy stuff inside it. After all, cooking for yourself at home with fresh ingredients? Sounds pretty healthy to me.

Who is in?

Allison