Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
swimmer53094
0 Kudos

Dessert Cookbooks

Does anyone know of any good dessert cookbooks? I love to bake and I would be interested in something that includes recipes from numerous cultures.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Dessert Cookbooks

My cousin has a wonderful book that I've placed on my own wish list, Sweet Sicily.

I have Sweet Serendipity which is a fun book of sweet stuff.

I've also heard that King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking is good.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

swimmer53094 wrote: Does anyone know of any good dessert cookbooks? I love to bake and I would be interested in something that includes recipes from numerous cultures.

Hi Swimmer, This is one area I am admittedly deficient in -- baking scares me, too much like science, especially with the dodgy stove in my apartment. But I asked BN.com's cookbook editor and she offered some suggestions. Still trying to dig up a good "desserts from around the world" one...

Dorrie Greenspan just released Baking: From My Home to Yours. Our quote: "You write recipes just the way I do," Julia Child once told her coauthor Dorie Greenspan. Julia is sadly gone, but Greenspan continues to create unforgettable offerings for home cooks. In Baking from My Home to Yours, this Bon Appétit columnist indulges herself (and us) with 300 restaurant-quality recipes in her preferred specialty: home baking. The book also contains a Dessertmaker's Glossary, which includes 100 entries and countless useful professional tips.

And here are a couple standards:

The Cake Bible

Baking Illustrated

-BP

Message Edited by BillP on 04-19-2007 11:05 AM

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Hi Swimmer,

I'm a huge pushover for Italian desserts, and I have this book at home: La Dolce Vita: Sweet Things from the Italian Home Kitchen.

I also just noticed this book, as well: Desserts and Drinks from around the World.

And while we're on the subject, what are some of everyone's favorite desserts? To me, there's nothing better than a rich ricotta cheesecake with fresh fruit on top!

Jessica
Contributor
swimmer53094
0 Kudos

Thanks for the great responses I can't wait to try them out!
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

swimmer53094 wrote:
Thanks for the great responses I can't wait to try them out!

yes, please report back to base how it went and what you did :smileyhappy:

ziki
Contributor
kioman
0 Kudos

I just listed this cookbook in my previous post, The Lady & Sons Just Desserts. Paula Dean is great. There are a lot of celebrity chefs out there today, but few of them really produce recipes that work. With baking, it's vital that the recipes are created and tested, ensuring working recipes. So far, everything I've made from this book has been great. Highly recommend.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

kioman wrote:
I just listed this cookbook in my previous post, The Lady & Sons Just Desserts. Paula Dean is great. There are a lot of celebrity chefs out there today, but few of them really produce recipes that work. With baking, it's vital that the recipes are created and tested, ensuring working recipes. So far, everything I've made from this book has been great. Highly recommend.

This Lady Paula Dean is some kind of cook, I hear. I am dying to get a cookbook by her. I love Rachel Raye but Paula Dean sounds really really good. And those desserts she makes. Yum!Yum!
Frequent Contributor
Wildflower
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

kioman wrote:

This Lady Paula Dean is some kind of cook, I hear. I am dying to get a cookbook by her. I love Rachel Raye but Paula Dean sounds really really good. And those desserts she makes. Yum!Yum!

Her recipies are amazing. However, this is because of the use of a ton of butter and cream and other highly delicious but highly unhealthy ingredients. Does anyone know of any really good light dessert cookbook?
"It's never to late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Wildflower wrote: Does anyone know of any really good light dessert cookbook?

Hi Wildflower --

Check out Perfect Light Desserts.

Yum!

Jessica
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Jessica,

Of course I am not the least bit curious :smileywink: so I clicked on sample chapter, which listed among the ingredients: alkalized (Dutch-process) cocoa powder

I happen to live in The Netherlands but I don't know if this stuff is the same cocoa powder as is regular in our stores. I often run across this kind of question with foreign cookbooks or recipes on the internet.

Does anyone have tips or tricks to share?

Thanks,
Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Dutch-processed cocoa powder is mellower and blends easier into liquids. It's natural acidity has been neutralized, so it won't react with baking soda the way natural cocoa powder will -- you have to use baking powder instead (unless you've got another acidic ingredient to make up for it). It's more used with European cakes and pastries where flavors are more subtle.

Natural cocoa powder is more bitter but the chocolate flavor is more intense. Generally used for things like brownies and chocolate cookies.

I would imagine you can find both kinds where you are, Caroline, despite the "Dutch" in the name.

-BillP

caroline88 wrote:
Jessica,

Of course I am not the least bit curious :smileywink: so I clicked on sample chapter, which listed among the ingredients: alkalized (Dutch-process) cocoa powder

I happen to live in The Netherlands but I don't know if this stuff is the same cocoa powder as is regular in our stores.

Thanks,
Caroline

Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Thanks, Bill. You are a Chocolate Genius :smileyhappy:

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
Wildflower
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

Hi Wildflower --

Check out Perfect Light Desserts.

Yum!

Jessica

Thanks Jessica. This looks like a great resource. I can't wait to try some of the recipies.

Sue
"It's never to late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

BillP wrote:
Dutch-processed cocoa powder is mellower and blends easier into liquids. It's natural acidity has been neutralized, so it won't react with baking soda the way natural cocoa powder will -- you have to use baking powder instead (unless you've got another acidic ingredient to make up for it). It's more used with European cakes and pastries where flavors are more subtle.

Natural cocoa powder is more bitter but the chocolate flavor is more intense. Generally used for things like brownies and chocolate cookies.

I would imagine you can find both kinds where you are, Caroline, despite the "Dutch" in the name.

-BillP

caroline88 wrote:
Jessica,

I happen to live in The Netherlands but I don't know if this stuff is the same cocoa powder as is regular in our stores.

Thanks,
Caroline

You know, Caroline and Bill, the thing about Chocalate being recently found to be so good for your heart, I bet this kind is way up on the list of Healthy Chocalate.
New User
dietjessg
0 Kudos

Nick Malgieri and Joan Nathan both have cookbooks which include multi-cultural recipes for baking. Enjoy!