Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
mayumithrasher
0 Kudos

Re: Dinner!

BillP wrote:
I thought this might be fun... what did you make for dinner last night?

I've been eating leftovers for a couple of nights now. (I made a staple and bought the entree and side.) I made Coconut Rice (so easy and very yummy - substitute a can of coconut milk for the same amt of water, grated ginger, minced garlic, and a little green curry paste for heat) on Saturday. I bought a large slice of grilled salmon and a container of rapini and brussel sprouts w/ garlic from Whole Foods market. I'm very proud of myself for eating all of it. (I don't usually eat leftovers more than once.)

I love brussel sprouts and rarely get to eat them. When I make them at home my apartment smells for a few days and restaurants don't serve them. I'm so glad to have found them already prepared at Whole Foods.

-Mayumi
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

At a recent wedding reception I attended last weekend, they served scallops wrapped in bacon. That was so delicious. I am not quite sure how it was done but scallops are my favorite seafood anyway. If anybody knows of a receipe of this dish, please let me know.
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

This is a pretty classic scallop preparation and pretty easy to do. Basically, you wrap a piece of bacon around the scallop and skewer it with a toothpick so that the bacon stays on. Season with a little kosher or sea salt and pop it in the broiler for 10 minutes, turning once. The only problem is getting the bacon crispy without overcooking the scallop into a hockey puck. You can always par-cook your bacon before wrapping.

Some people use a bit of maple syrup or brown sugar for extra carmelization but I think that is overkill -- scallops are plenty sweet on their own.

kiakar wrote:
At a recent wedding reception I attended last weekend, they served scallops wrapped in bacon. That was so delicious. I am not quite sure how it was done but scallops are my favorite seafood anyway. If anybody knows of a receipe of this dish, please let me know.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

BillP wrote:
This is a pretty classic scallop preparation and pretty easy to do. Basically, you wrap a piece of bacon around the scallop and skewer it with a toothpick so that the bacon stays on. Season with a little kosher or sea salt and pop it in the broiler for 10 minutes, turning once. The only problem is getting the bacon crispy without overcooking the scallop into a hockey puck. You can always par-cook your bacon before wrapping.

Some people use a bit of maple syrup or brown sugar for extra carmelization but I think that is overkill -- scallops are plenty sweet on their own.

kiakar wrote:

Thanks, Bill, I will try them and let you know. The bacon was cooked good for not overcooked and the scallops were not overcooked either. So maybe they did cook both first to insure they were cooked. I might try that!