Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Eating out

How about sharing the last meal we had in a restaurant?

Yesterday, I had lunch with a few of my colleagues, because our vendor was throwing a goodbye party.

I had Mexican salad first. This was a good combination of all those frilly kinds of lettuce, with a few red beans tossed in for good measure and a few thin strips of bell pepper. On the side, taco chips with excellent guacomole. AND two small buns with two kinds of butter. Two side dishes with one salad was just one too many. Everything tasted good but the salad was almost soaked in oil. I had to hunt and chase to get the pieces onto my fork because it was all so slippery.

Then the main course, where they repeated the same mistake of too many side dishes. I had sateh with peanut sauce, which was very good. French fries with mayonaise, and a bit of salad with a spoonful of atjar (Indonesian pickles) on top. I scraped off the atjar and ate the salad. The fries were good but the mayo was out of place because it does not go with peanut sauce. And here again, two mini buns with two kinds of butter.

Great value for money but they should have brought the bread with the drinks, before the meal was served, and only once instead of twice. And they should not have served the main course until I had finished eating the entree.

It was funny to see a new restaurant stumbling along and figuring out how to serve a party of eight where not everyone had ordered a two course meal.
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
jmcnaughton
0 Kudos

Re: Eating out

You just made me realize that I haven't eaten in a restaurant since I was on vacation four weeks ago!

I just finished reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and it really took me back to my farmer roots. I just want to cook fresh veggies out of my own garden. But alas, it's 50 degrees today and frost is expected for tonight. It will be a while yet.
Frequent Contributor
Wildflower
0 Kudos

My most recent meal out was at a relatively new Spanish restaraunt. My husband had chicken with a rose mole sauce, our daughter had 3 ginormous (her word) tostadas and I had steak fajitas. All three were outstanding, but what was the best was the guacamole that they made tableside. My daughter and I both thought that we didn't even like guacamole before this meal, and we ate the whole thing up. It was delicious. And the presentation was fabulous as well!
"It's never to late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wildflower wrote:
My most recent meal out was at a relatively new Spanish restaraunt. My husband had chicken with a rose mole sauce, our daughter had 3 ginormous (her word) tostadas and I had steak fajitas. All three were outstanding, but what was the best was the guacamole that they made tableside. My daughter and I both thought that we didn't even like guacamole before this meal, and we ate the whole thing up. It was delicious. And the presentation was fabulous as well!

Most of you do not seem to enjoy the usual cuisine like at Olive Gardens. But I love dearly dining there. Yesterday I dined there and had their wonderful house garden salad with a delectable oil and vinegar dressing, egg plant parmgean. And their delicious breadsticks.And I have been ordering different flavered teas restaurants offer and their peach tea with fresh peaches was quite delectable. A really thirst quencher. I do eat out alot living by myself but do still enjoy cooking at home alot also. I love Italian food tremendously. I guess you would say its my favorite. I cook spagetti with tomato sauce alot at home and love to fix a fresh spagetti salad at home also, especily in the summer time.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Most of you do not seem to enjoy the usual cuisine like at Olive Gardens. But I love dearly dining there. Yesterday I dined there and had their wonderful house garden salad with a delectable oil and vinegar dressing, egg plant parmgean. And their delicious breadsticks.And I have been ordering different flavered teas restaurants offer and their peach tea with fresh peaches was quite delectable. A really thirst quencher. I do eat out alot living by myself but do still enjoy cooking at home alot also. I love Italian food tremendously. I guess you would say its my favorite. I cook spagetti with tomato sauce alot at home and love to fix a fresh spagetti salad at home also, especily in the summer time.

Olive Garden sounds wonderful to me! There are no chain restaurants in our area so to eat at an Olive Garden, TGI Friday's, Applebees, etc. is a 4 hour round trip to Green Bay WI for us! We usually get there several times a year, so eating at those kinds of restaurants is a treat.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I truly enjoy dining out!

This past weekend I had an appetizer with arugla, yellow beans, tomatoes, and chunks of lobster. For my entree I had grilled salmon with Dijon sauce over sauteed broccoli, green beans, & sundried tomatoes. Needless to say, dessert just consisted of a double espresso! :smileyvery-happy:
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
Wildflower
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Wildflower wrote:

On the contrary Kiakar. I love Olive Garden. We were just there a couple of weeks ago. Their breadsticks are delicious and you are completely right about there tea (and I don't usually even like iced tea, but I always order it there). And m
"It's never to late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KristyR wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Olive Garden sounds wonderful to me! There are no chain restaurants in our area so to eat at an Olive Garden, TGI Friday's, Applebees, etc. is a 4 hour round trip to Green Bay WI for us! We usually get there several times a year, so eating at those kinds of restaurants is a treat.

Gosh KristyR., how do you stand it? Wow! I couldn't stand it if I didn't have lots of restaurants to eat at three or four times a week. But I guess its what you get use to. This past week was my birthday week, but Monday I ate at Logan's Steak house and I had roast beef and scalloped pototes and a Caesar Salad. Tuesday I ate at Captain D's Seafood restaurant and had a fried seafood platter and slaw. Wednesday I ate at the OLive Garden, which I described the meal above. And Thursday at Ryans, a all you can eat buffet restaurant. And did I ever pig out there, I had Spagetti Salad, and mostly veggies. And lots of desserts. ha. Tonight I ate at Red Lobster and had broiled seafood platter and salad. Today was offically my birthday so the celebration is over. Next year, maybe it would be better to invite all friends and family to one big bash. ha. But I do enjoy eating out.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Gosh KristyR., how do you stand it? Wow! I couldn't stand it if I didn't have lots of restaurants to eat at three or four times a week. But I guess its what you get use to. This past week was my birthday week, but Monday I ate at Logan's Steak house and I had roast beef and scalloped pototes and a Caesar Salad. Tuesday I ate at Captain D's Seafood restaurant and had a fried seafood platter and slaw. Wednesday I ate at the OLive Garden, which I described the meal above. And Thursday at Ryans, a all you can eat buffet restaurant. And did I ever pig out there, I had Spagetti Salad, and mostly veggies. And lots of desserts. ha. Tonight I ate at Red Lobster and had broiled seafood platter and salad. Today was offically my birthday so the celebration is over. Next year, maybe it would be better to invite all friends and family to one big bash. ha. But I do enjoy eating out.

Happy Birthday Kiakar!!!! I do miss restaurants like those! We've lived in Lansing and Flint MI (while my husband was in school) and Akron OH (while he was in residency), so we did get to eat at those kind of places for awhile. We decided to move back to the U.P. of MI (where we both grew up) when it was time for my husband to find a job. We didn't want to raise our kids in a city, but I do miss shopping, restaurants, and Starbucks!
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

My parents were visiting me here in NYC this weekend so there was a lot of eating out. Highlights:

•Their first experience with a gigantic pastrami on rye sandwich at Katz's deli (of the "I'll have what she's having" scene in When Harry Met Sally)

•a trip to the Grand Central Oyster Bar for a variety of half-shell delights

•OTTO, Mario Batali's pizza joint. I had pizza with ramps on it, plus their amazing gelato. Arguably the best in the city (the gelato, not the pizza... but it's really good nonetheless).

• We also had Swedish meatballs at the IKEA cafeteria.
Contributor
paris221966
0 Kudos

I went out to lunch with co-workers last week. Oyster House (Olympia, WA)

Although I hate oysters/clams/crab/prawns/lobster/shrimp - I had a very good halibut & chips with good cole slaw.

The waitress gave me incorrect change when I handed her a $20 and lunch was $9.75 (she only gave me five ones and a quarter). I wasn't impressed and she didn't get much of a tip.

Seems like I've only received great service while dining in Seattle.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

paris221966 wrote:

Although I hate oysters/clams/crab/prawns/lobster/shrimp - I had a very good halibut & chips with good cole slaw.

The waitress gave me incorrect change when I handed her a $20 and lunch was $9.75 (she only gave me five ones and a quarter). I wasn't impressed and she didn't get much of a tip.

Wasn't this just a mistake? Didn't she make the mistake right? If not you could have complained to the manager. But if she did appolize then I would have just let it be by gones. Everyone makes mistakes. My children were waitress while they were in college and I know it is a tedious occupation. You certainly do not get paid much of anything and the tips are all they have from lifting those arduous heavy dishes and serving sometimes crowds while on their shift. Two of my daughters still suffer back problems from waitressing while they were young. I do think they deserve alot of respect for braving such a hard task as waitressing. And I would never show lack of respect with not tipping them, no matter the mistakes they make.
Contributor
paris221966
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

paris221966 wrote:

Wasn't this just a mistake? Didn't she make the mistake right? If not you could have complained to the manager. But if she did appolize then I would have just let it be by gones. Everyone makes mistakes. My children were waitress while they were in college and I know it is a tedious occupation. You certainly do not get paid much of anything and the tips are all they have from lifting those arduous heavy dishes and serving sometimes crowds while on their shift. Two of my daughters still suffer back problems from waitressing while they were young. I do think they deserve alot of respect for braving such a hard task as waitressing. And I would never show lack of respect with not tipping them, no matter the mistakes they make.

I only posted to this "Eating out" discussion to add a generic comment. I didn't expect someone to respond my mention of the incorrect change I received from a waitress. I'm not here to argue with the public.

Yes, we do all make mistakes, this is true. I honestly don't remember if she apologized because she was too busy shuffling through the $ones and $fives and looking embarrassed. However, when I'm at a restaurant, the waiter/waitress should treat me with respect and make as little mistakes as possible because when it comes down to it, they work there to please the customer. She didn't please me 100%, that's all. And it was just this one specific restaurant. I mentioned in my previous post that I had received very good service while dining in Seattle, which is where I like to go to regularly.

I've never been a waitress. I've worked as a cook. The cooks/prep cooks/dishwashers deserve the respect just as much as the waitresses. They have back problems and aching knees and get burned and cut and smell like grease/onions/sweat.

Waitresses have it easy I think. "Hi, may I take your order?" "Can I get you anything to drink?" "Would you like any dessert?"
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Thanks to BillP's recommendation, my husband and I had an amazing fifth anniversary dinner at 15 East in New York City.

The head sushi chef there is Masato Shimizu, who once presided over the sushi bar at Jewel Bako. The offerings he prepared for our omakase that night was thoughtful and austere (in a good way) and, of course, incredibly tasty!

We started our meal with two selections from the appetizer portion of the menu: medallions of poached octopus that had been massaged until it was rendered meltingly tender and a bowl of house-made soba (nice springy bite) topped by uni and ikura.

On to the sushi! He started us off with a piece of amber jack and striped jack. And from there, we leisurely ate our way through his case of fish. A flight of toro, abalone, geoduck, somewhere in there a propane torch was applied to a piece of fish, tiny little shrimps piled onto rice, a gently steaming anago, barracuda, mackerel, a comparison of Japanese and California uni -- each served in a little bowl over a small mound of rice. I loved both, but if I had to pick, I’d go with the California for its creamy fullness -- the Japanese uni was lovely and was more subdued and slightly astringent. This is not a complete list as we sampled ourselves silly from the bar's offerings. And Chef Masato and the staff were wonderful and accommodating.

In all, it was far better than I dared expect. And while we may not splurge on all-out omakase everyday, I’d be inclined to return far more often than not.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

The last meal I had in a restaurant was with my boyfriend. :smileysurprised: the food was divine .
The thing about me and eating ot is that, my date, or whomever im with at the time should order for me. because im not the type to try exotic foods or something that ive never tasted before out of spontaneity. I don’t hate them or anything I just don’t have the initiative to try new stuff when itcomes to food. I don’t know why.
Even at starbucks, I order the same coffee every single time.
But if someone orders for me, the food is there and theres nothing I can do but eat it and pay for it? Ill eat it, probably like it and try it again next time. Haha!

Anyway we had steak, mashed potato, I love mashed potato I swear.
Fruit juice (mango for me, as usual) I forgot what he ordered. Too bad we were in a hurry because we wanted to catch the last full show.

Im sorry guys, but something I don’t like about some restaurants, are the kids parents bring with them. It totally ruins the ambiance and the mood –for me.
There’s ths resto we went to where people are allowed to smoke on the whole area. I dotn like it that some folks go there, bring kids, or simply bring themselves and their grown up friends, lets say—and then when the other people starts lighting cigarettes they scowl, some give their kids hankies to cover their noses. Its annoying. Its like going inside a burning building and then start crying because the building is burning . you know what I mean?
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

As a parent of two kids, I no longer eat out like I used to.  First comes the hassle, second is the expense for a meal that I've consumed in one gulp because of well...those two kids.

That being said,  my husband and I will treat ourself to a late dinner at home once we've but the kiddies to bed.  We'll order plates from restaurants and enjoy them at home.

My last meal was a plate of eastern NC barbecue from a local joint!  Yummmmmmm!!!!