Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Re: Fire Up the Grill

I am a charcoal man myself, but I like the versatility that gas brings -- especially those with dual controls so you can have a hot side and a not-as-hot side. I have a Weber kettle, which I love, but it's pretty much a one trick pony. But it's a good trick.

Chet_Guevara wrote:
Very late to the party here, but I had to share. We've long had a gas grill (donated by practical parents) and use it enough, but miss the flavor of charcoal. This past weekend I decided to throw some extra firewood under the grill, and then got crazy and added some herbs. The result was amazing. The firewood kicked up a huge cloud of smoke and gave the skirt steak I was grilling an amazing flavor. Already dreaming of what other combustibles I can add to the formerly boring gas grill.

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I went to one of the most involved cookouts I've ever seen on Sunday. My friends who threw it are major foodies and went bananas. Not a burger or hot dog in sight. It included:

14-hr smoked whole pork shoulder

two grilled whole striped bass

skewers of squid, lamb, and also shishito peppers (a Japanese variety that are small but not too spicy).

And more sides than I can remember. It was all great but the grilled squid was especially so, not rubbery at all with little crispy charred parts. I think maybe it was the sauce -- a mixture of tomatillos, cilantro, parsley, mint and key limes that put it over the top. He told me it came from one of Rick Bayless' cookbooks, though I'm not sure which one. But the sauce would've made cardboard taste good.

I should also say this was all done, apart from the pork shoulder, on a regular Weber kettle charcoal grill. It was all in the prep, I guess.

Message Edited by BillP on 07-25-2007 03:32 PM
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

BillP wrote:
I went to one of the most involved cookouts I've ever seen on Sunday. My friends who threw it are major foodies and went bananas. Not a burger or hot dog in sight. It included:

14-hr smoked whole pork shoulder

two grilled whole striped bass

skewers of squid, lamb, and also shi**bleep**o peppers (a Japanese variety that are small but not too spicy).

And more sides than I can remember. It was all great but the grilled squid was especially so, not rubbery at all with little crispy charred parts. I think maybe it was the sauce -- a mixture of tomatillos, cilantro, parsley, mint and key limes that put it over the top. He told me it came from one of Rick Bayless' cookbooks, though I'm not sure which one. But the sauce would've made cardboard taste good.

I should also say this was all done, apart from the pork shoulder, on a regular Weber kettle charcoal grill. It was all in the prep, I guess.

Message Edited by BillP on 07-25-2007 03:32 PM

Wow! and that was some cook out! that is some luck to be invited to that!