Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Glogg (Mulled Wine) - Help!

You know, I've tried to make this several times and it never comes out tasting right. I've had it at parties and it's so delicious, but I can't make it work in my own kitchen.

Does anyone have a fool-proof recipe for mulled wine / spiced wine / Glogg?
Frequent Contributor
jmcnaughton
0 Kudos

Re: Glogg (Mulled Wine) - Help!

This is a recipe I just had last week in Germany. It's called "glow" wine because it makes your cheeks warm!

GLUHWEIN
1/2 liter red wine
1/4 liter water
1 stick cinnamon
3 whole cloves
1/4 c. sugar
Boil water and seasonings for 5 minutes. Add red wine and sugar. Heat until hot; do not boil. Remove seasonings and serve hot in glass over a slice of lemon. Serves 4.

This is a recipe for Grog, which I've had in other cold-weather European countries.

GROG (Beverage)
1/2 lb. cubed sugar
1/2 liter water
Juice from 1 lemon
3/4 liter strong tea
1/4 liter rum
Pour boiling water over cubed sugar and lemon juice. When the sugar is dissolved, add hot tea and rum. Serve hot.

I hope these work for you.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

jmcnaughton wrote: This is a recipe I just had last week in Germany. It's called "glow" wine because it makes your cheeks warm

Thanks so much! I'm definitely going to try it out. (My sister-in-law's birthday is Christmas Eve, and we're having a small cocktail party.)
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

jmcnaughton wrote: This is a recipe for Grog, which I've had in other cold-weather European countries.

GROG (Beverage)
1/2 lb. cubed sugar
1/2 liter water
Juice from 1 lemon
3/4 liter strong tea
1/4 liter rum
Pour boiling water over cubed sugar and lemon juice. When the sugar is dissolved, add hot tea and rum. Serve hot.

I hope these work for you.

Oh, that sounds great too...

I have to admit, I'm a fan of the hot booze drink but I always end up defaulting to Irish Coffee. Borrrrring.

Anyone else have some cold-weather alcohol-based drinks they'd like to share? I'm sure they'll all come in handy at all the holiday parties coming up!
Frequent Contributor
jmcnaughton
0 Kudos

Jessica asked: Anyone else have some cold-weather alcohol-based drinks they'd like to share? I'm sure they'll all come in handy at all the holiday parties coming up!

This recipe is one from my younger years, but it was good. Add peppermint schnapps to hot cocoa (to taste). We used to take this cross country skiing.