Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Goodbye Gourmet Magazine

Just wanted to let everyone know that yesterday, Conde Nast announced that they will be closing Gourmet Magazine.

I'm very sad to hear this, though I understand that this economy has been particularly hard on luxury and travel brands and advertising budget.

How are you taking this news?

Allison

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Goodbye Gourmet Magazine

(shrug) Since it was the least  so-so cooking mag.(SHRUG)

I hope the writers get new jobs, but I could not care less about the mag.

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Interesting, TiggerBear! 

What does "the least so-so cooking mag" mean?

Which cooking magazines do you like?

Allison

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Too many ads, and ads that very few would even buy and be off the subjet. Such as why are there 4 watch ads, 2 car ads, 8 travel ads, and 4 perfume ads in a cooking mag?!

Useless for recipes. Near useless for cooking skills learning.

Just a mag full of some nice food pics (shrug); if you know anything about how food pics are made they never will make you hungry again.

oh Bon Appite, Real Simple section, Food and Wine, The newest Paula Deen's, even Martha Stewest every so often.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I have to agree with TiggerBear on this one.  I had a subscription to Gourmet for a year and it took the word to its full meaning, similarly with Epicurean - one devoted to sensual pleasure.  Gourmet usually means a direct relationship to food and drink, but Gourmet got into the whole travel/restaurant experience which was NOT my interest at all. 

Fine Cooking on the other hand has some exquisite recipes which are always well-received without any of that other stuff.  I would cry if this publication was no longer produced.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI