Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
mayumithrasher
0 Kudos

Happy 4th of July

Just wondering what everyone else is eating on Wednesday?

Our 4th of July menu is fairly typical, although I want Brats instead of hot dogs this year, steak, beans, greens.

Does anyone know of a good brand of canned vegetarian baked beans? My father was a southerner so I expect salt pork or a ham hock in my beans and have NO IDEA who makes good vegetarian beans.

I guess I could make beans but I'd need a recipe that doesn't require the beans to be cooked for a long time since I'd have to do the prep work at my apartment but take it to my friends' for the actually cooking.

~Mayumi
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Re: Happy 4th of July

Canned baked beans are loaded with corn syrup and salt -- way more than what you'd put in to make yourself. Dried beans sound like a pain, but it's more time consuming (unattended) than difficult. If you have a crockpot you can skip the soak part altogether. Maybe a bean salad instead?

I almost always end up bringing the Southwestern Potato Salad that is in Bobby Flay's first book, Bold American Food. It is a real winner. Even people who generally don't like mayo-based potato salad like it.

You could also bring homemade lemonade, or sangria.

mayumithrasher wrote:
Just wondering what everyone else is eating on Wednesday?

Our 4th of July menu is fairly typical, although I want Brats instead of hot dogs this year, steak, beans, greens.

Does anyone know of a good brand of canned vegetarian baked beans? My father was a southerner so I expect salt pork or a ham hock in my beans and have NO IDEA who makes good vegetarian beans.

I guess I could make beans but I'd need a recipe that doesn't require the beans to be cooked for a long time since I'd have to do the prep work at my apartment but take it to my friends' for the actually cooking.

~Mayumi

Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Here in NYC we had dark clouds and rain, so no BBQing. I still made my potato salad, though, and it's just as good indoors. Anyone else have any highlights?
Frequent Contributor
mayumithrasher
0 Kudos

We had a sunny and hot 4th here in LA. I decided to make a 3-bean and corn salad. It went over pretty well with the meat & non-meat eaters. Also, threw together a "relish" of bell peppers and onions sauteed in butter. It came out very rich and added a nice sweet touch to the brats.

We had a fairly low key meal rounded off with a cool glass of riesling and DOVE ice cream bars for dessert. Clean up was so easy this year, which is usually not the case with our get-togethers.

-Mayumi