Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Holiday Dinners

I thought it might be nice to talk about what we cooked for Thanksgiving.  Perhaps what we're planning for the December holidays. Are you planning a St. Patty's day feast? :smileytongue:

Anyway you get the idea. Anyone game?

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Re: Holiday Dinners

I will certainly be making some latkes!  We make them to include onions and various spices.  I prefer to eat them without the traditional apple sauce accompaniment. 

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Good question! I missed the pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, and I'm still craving one. That's the next thing I'll be making for the holiday.

Allison

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Allison_Fishman wrote:

Good question! I missed the pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, and I'm still craving one. That's the next thing I'll be making for the holiday.

Allison

Speaking of pumpkin pie, I seriously missed fresh whipped cream this year.  My sister-in-law brought a store-bought pie and spray whipped cream (light cream, no less) and it just wasn't the same.  I'm gonna make one for Christmas Eve dinner.  Yum!

Everything else we did for Thanksgiving was awesome!  green beans with carmelized onions and almonds, sausage & apple cornbread stuffing, garlicy mashed potatoes, and the killer Good Eats recipe turkey ala Alton Brown.  The turkey didn't get done for some reason... I think my husband put in the thermometer wrong, but we simply cut it up and microwaved a bunch of the white meat and roasted the dark meat for a while and it was fantastic!  We made the same recipe 2 years ago and it worked perfectly, so I'm sure we did something wrong. *shrug*

Christmas eve, we're having a pork loin roast with rice, asparagus and acorn squash with cinnamon apples.  For Christmas morning, we'll have blueberry pancakes (my son's favorite) and sausage.  For Christmas dinner, we're going to my mother-in-law's place and we're potlucking appetizers.  I'm bringing spanakopita, stuffed mushrooms and since I'll have some extra phyllo dough, I am making some phyllo cups and filling them with chocolate mousse.  I just ate lunch, but I get salivations just thinking about it!

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Basson, 

Now we've both got our mouths watering. I love the Pumpkin Pie redux 'cause someone played fast and loose with your whipped cream. Hilarious. I also love how relaxed you were about the par-cooked turkey. That's the way to solve a problem!

Your dishes sound wonderful; is anyone out there putting together a feast of the Seven Fishes for Christmas Eve? One of my favorite meals, for sure. As a Jewish woman, I usually rely on my Catholic friends to put this one together. I'm thinking about making Michael Psilakis' Octopus recipe (from How To Roast A Lamb), he was a recent guest author and he says that his octopus dish is surprisingly simple. I've had it at his restaurant, but never made it myself.

Allison

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Allison_Fishman wrote:

Basson, 

Your dishes sound wonderful; is anyone out there putting together a feast of the Seven Fishes for Christmas Eve? One of my favorite meals, for sure. As a Jewish woman, I usually rely on my Catholic friends to put this one together. I'm thinking about making Michael Psilakis' Octopus recipe (from How To Roast A Lamb), he was a recent guest author and he says that his octopus dish is surprisingly simple. I've had it at his restaurant, but never made it myself.

Allison

I had never heard of this Feast of the Seven Fishes.  Fascinating!  I was just reading Mario Batali's menu for this meal and it's a bit out of my league.  My kids would absolutely revolt as neither of them enjoy seafood and my oldest is pretending that he doesn't like fish, except in stick form.  *sigh*  School lunch is ruining my kids!

I'm looking forward to the few days they'll be spending with my parents after Christmas: my husband and I will have surf 'n' turf at least one night. 

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI