Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
BryVal
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi everyone,

This is Bryan. It's my first time joining a book club. I saw the book that you were discussing and I thought it would be a good time to join.

Can anyone tell me if it's too late or not to start reading the book and join the discussion.

Thanks again,

Bryan
Frequent Contributor
PaulK
0 Kudos

BryVal wrote:
Hi everyone,

This is Bryan. It's my first time joining a book club. I saw the book that you were discussing and I thought it would be a good time to join.

Can anyone tell me if it's too late or not to start reading the book and join the discussion.

Thanks again,

Bryan

Not too late. Just jump in.
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

BryVal wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks again,

Bryan

Welcome, Bryan, it's never too late! The author, Michael D'Antonio, will be with us all month. Even if you've not read far in the book you'll find discussions where you'll have something to say!
eob
New User
eob
0 Kudos

Good Morning Everyone,

My name is Erin. This is my first time joining a book club as well. So far it seems pretty intimidating, since this is the first day and there are over 200 entries/threads already. What's the best way to keep up or to participate? There is no way I'll have time to read them all.
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Hi Erin,

Welcome! Don't be intimidated.

The best way to start is to begin with the forums on this month's featured author, The Wine Diva and get your wine questions answered. It's a fun book and really easy to read. The author will be with us all month.

Then if you have general cooking, food and drinks questions, post those on the Ask ChefJon forum.

And most of all have fun!
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Erin

Erin, you can check the date of the post....all messages are not new and they relate to different subjects. Above the green line you see the most active folders (= the book currently discussed) and the rest you can read in your own pace.

good luck,
welcome
ziki
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Re: Erin

Erin,

Welcome! Another thing which you could do, was go to the Forum Options button and mark all messages as read. Then you will be starting with the new and active discussions because on your next visit, those would be in boldface (for unread messages).

Bon appetit!
Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: Erin

Thanks both of you for these smart tips--I know cooking and my way aroundthe dbs but these are new for me!
New User
Dreammkr
0 Kudos

Greetings! I'm new and was thrilled to see a food and cookbook section in the book clubs! Looking forward to seeing how this all works!! How do you find out which book will be for May? I live up in the mountains and always have to order things. Thanks!! Dream
Approach Love & Cooking with Reckless Abandon...
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Dreammkr wrote:
Greetings! I'm new and was thrilled to see a food and cookbook section in the book clubs! Looking forward to seeing how this all works!! How do you find out which book will be for May? I live up in the mountains and always have to order things. Thanks!! Dream

Hi Dreammkr,

There aren't any author appearances in May, so Food & Drink will stay as a "general discussion" area through May with the same core texts that we put up last month. These are just books that we think everyone's kitchen bookshelf would benefit from. Meanwhile, feel free to reply to current threads or start your own.

I will say that in June I'd like to talk about Barbara Kingsolver's first nonfiction work, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. From our editors: "In her seamless diary narrative, Kingsolver tells how she and her family relocated to southern Appalachia after suffering through years of drought in Arizona. The purpose of the move was simple: The Kingsolvers sought to 'live in a place that could feed us' by growing their own food and living among a community of local organic growers." The book is out next week.
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

My all time favorite is The Sonoma Diet Cookbook. I haven't made a recipe yet that my family hasn't loved! Jo
New User
chris092068
0 Kudos

Hello,

My name is Chris. I am a consultant by day and a wanna be cook by night. I love cooking but often have trouble finding the time during the week. Weekends are my creative time in the kitchen. I really enjoy the Rachael Ray cookbooks and I have recently been trying recipes out of the Every Day Food cookbook too. Since grilling season is kicking into high gear I would love any recommendations on grilling cookbooks. We are specializing in chicken wings! Hope everyone is having a great evening and I look forward to chatting.

Chris
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Well I suppose I should introduce my self here. I am 13 I do competative swmming and I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I love to read classics and I love to write. And I know nothing about cooking! Although I am a good taste tester! I would like to learn how to cook. I have an extremly basic idea of cooking that I got from watching the Food Channel. And even that I don't know much about cooking! I would like to learn sometime.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
New User
MyfriendscallmeMartha
0 Kudos

Re: 'gwillises' .-)

I noticed alot of the messages contain references to Julia Child - I, too, became interested in cooking by watching the original French Chef series when I was in college - she was truly an inspiration. However, I recently read the Julie/Julia book because of my high regard for Julia. Towards the end, Julie comments that someone who spoke to Julia reported Julia was not thrilled with it, which Julie seems to find hard to believe - DUH !!! Julia would have never used the "f" word, nor reacted the way Julie does in the kitchen. Julie has "lost the meaning". She doesn't get it, it's about the journey, about the cooking, about the failures, about "mastering" an art. Julie's motives seems far less pure. Julia never used her forum for making political statements (if the people/cause/policy are so wrong, and you are so offended, then Julie should have been true to her soul and quit - if you are willing to take their money when you are soooooo offended, then you really don't have any room to criticize). Personally, I regret purchasing the book and feel it was highly misrepresented - not at all in the spirit of Julia. Again, the author "lost the meaning". Hopefully those of us who were and are inspired by Julia, will be true to her memory and aspire to master even a small part of the "art".
Bon Appetit !!!
Frequent Contributor
mayumithrasher
0 Kudos

Hi~

In my current apartment I don't have the necessary equipment to really cook. I have to get by with a microwave, toaster oven, and a single-burner range. It's not ideal but I love my neighborhood too much to move. I've gotten pretty good at one-pot cooking!

I had a subscription to Gourmet magazine for years just so I could read about exotic locales and cuisines. I let my subscription run-out but I think I'm going to subscribe to Sunset, soon. I'm getting more and more interested in buying locally and looking for organic options.

I love reading cookbooks. I especially like the ones that includes anecdotes or facts related to the particular dish. I have an old cookbook of Japanese cuisine. I can't recall the name now but it's 2 books. One is filled with information regarding Japanese cuisine and culture and the other is spiral-bound with the recipes. I've used that book many times in the past (when I had a real kitchen).

Most of my friends are the "eat-to-live" not "live-to-eat" types so I don't often get to talk about food, which is a favorite subject of mine.

-Mayumi
Frequent Contributor
BillP
0 Kudos

Single burner range... and I thought my Brooklyn kitchen was small! Welcome.

And I use my crockpot a lot... one pot meals can be great.

mayumithrasher wrote:
Hi~

In my current apartment I don't have the necessary equipment to really cook. I have to get by with a microwave, toaster oven, and a single-burner range. It's not ideal but I love my neighborhood too much to move. I've gotten pretty good at one-pot cooking!

I had a subscription to Gourmet magazine for years just so I could read about exotic locales and cuisines. I let my subscription run-out but I think I'm going to subscribe to Sunset, soon. I'm getting more and more interested in buying locally and looking for organic options.

I love reading cookbooks. I especially like the ones that includes anecdotes or facts related to the particular dish. I have an old cookbook of Japanese cuisine. I can't recall the name now but it's 2 books. One is filled with information regarding Japanese cuisine and culture and the other is spiral-bound with the recipes. I've used that book many times in the past (when I had a real kitchen).

Most of my friends are the "eat-to-live" not "live-to-eat" types so I don't often get to talk about food, which is a favorite subject of mine.

-Mayumi

Frequent Contributor
mayumithrasher
0 Kudos

BillP wrote:
Single burner range... and I thought my Brooklyn kitchen was small! Welcome.

And I use my crockpot a lot... one pot meals can be great.

Hi~

I used to have a countertop gas range but it was in violation of the insurance policy so my landlord had to cut the gas line. He offered to replace it with an electric range but I found that I liked having the extra counter space, which is sorely need in my apt. So, I'm making do.

I don't even own a crock-pot. The last one I had didn't have a removable pot for easy clean-up so you can only imagine what a chore it was to clean! Ugh, what a pain. I know there are better ones on the market now, I bought one as a gift, I just haven't gotten around to purchasing one for myself.

It's funny how easy it would be to "cook" without a conventional kitchen if I had the storage space and money. George Foreman grill, sandwich press (actually I could probably make a decent panini on the grill), waffle iron, bread machine, pizza oven, steamer...the list seems endless. Luckily space constraints keeps me from going all gadget-crazy!

-Mayumi
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

I'm Maria_H. Before doing what I do now, I was a cookbook buyer. I adore cookbooks, mostly of the older variety. One favorite is the Time Life Foods of the World series published in the 70s. I also love the spiral-bound recipe books issued by churches and women's clubs. They're a great snapshot of the community and time from which they were born and, to me, serve as a history book and relic of the aspirations of the time.

Looking forward to meeting and talking with everyone!

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

New User
Chef_Rin
0 Kudos

My Name is Karrin Drake. I love the food network and I love just reading cookbooks. My favorite are from Paula Deen. I am a chef and I love food.
From the Bottom of my Mixing Bowl,
Karrin "Chef Rin" Drake
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

Chef_Rin wrote:
My Name is Karrin Drake. I love the food network and I love just reading cookbooks. My favorite are from Paula Deen. I am a chef and I love food.

Have you ever been to her restaurant in Savannah?