Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Wyomingchicken wrote:
My name is Keri. I am a mother to six small children. Yes, all from my very own womb. I am married to my military man of 14 years, and work part-time as an ER Tech. I have some hobbies, such as scrap-booking, rubber-stamping, some cross-stitching and quilting, and probably any thing else with a dash between the words. I have recently turned myself into a "Chocolatier". Sounds like some Mickey Mouse club idea, but its more of me playing in a pastry chef role. I love to bake and make chocolate desserts. Who doesn't?
Books? I am a big Anita Shreve fan. I love to read when I get the chance. I am the kind of person though that needs to make sure I have a large block of time, because once I start a book, I never want to put it down. Good or bad.

~Keri
*Covering the world in chocolate, one person at a time*

www.dovechocolateathome.com
Ind. Chocolatier #5401

I have nothing to say about cookbooks but my hat's off to you for your service to the country! ;-)
Contributor
shesha35
0 Kudos

Heelo Alicia here I am a sahm of 3 girls and have had a love of cooking and food since i was very young.My dh is annoyed at my cookbook and cooking magazine addiction.He shakes his head every time i'm in a sore and come home with cooking books.They are picky eaters and i constantly need new recipes I can't eat the same things over and over like they can.
Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

Hi!  What were some of the cookbooks you've purchased recently?  What have you tried cooking?
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Italy's food was a surprise to us as well. It think the Italian food in Brooklyn must really be Sicilian. Northern Italian food is almost like French. I'd love to go to Sicily one day and see (and taste) for myself.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Northern Italy is on the other side of a mountain range from southern France. Yes there is crossover. My French ancestors are from the region.
A lot of it has to do with the use of regional ingredients.
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
Italy's food was a surprise to us as well. It think the Italian food in Brooklyn must really be Sicilian. Northern Italian food is almost like French. I'd love to go to Sicily one day and see (and taste) for myself.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Northern Italy is on the other side of a mountain range from southern France. Yes there is crossover. My French ancestors are from the region.
A lot of it has to do with the use of regional ingredients.

We had the same reaction to Italian food. Plan to go to Sicily one day but Brooklyn food is closer! Where in Brooklyn are you? We used to live in Gravesend Neck Road and "real" Italian food was plentiful!
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Actually I'm from NC and live in VA. Huguenot ancestors; I grew up with odd family recipes. Back traced them as an adult to the country and region of origin. I was going to cooking school and my teachers keep ribbing me that I was cooking French food like an Italian. Only to have my mother tell me afterwards that they obliviously had never actually been to southern France.
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
Actually I'm from NC and live in VA. Huguenot ancestors; I grew up with odd family recipes. Back traced them as an adult to the country and region of origin. I was going to cooking school and my teachers keep ribbing me that I was cooking French food like an Italian. Only to have my mother tell me afterwards that they obliviously had never actually been to southern France.

I must have missed something! My husband was actually born in Paris so French food is home cooking for him. I live in chicago and while there are plenty of Italian restaurants none seem as good as the ones in Brooklyn. I wonder if Sicily would disappoint as well!
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

No prob.
Hmm I think you may be right in that Brooklyn is a bit more Sicilian. But it has a lot to do with when the ethnic recipes crossed over to America.
Contributor
pennmlc
0 Kudos

i'm madeline and my all time favorite cook book is "how to cook everything" truly awesome recipes for everything.  currently, im going thru a TAPAS phase and enjoying hosting gatherings where i share the wines and snack of spain!
Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

OOOH, that sounds yummy!
New User
Serenity528
0 Kudos

Hi All
I love to cook and work in an environment where food is a constant. Books on cooking are most enjoyable to me and some of my favorites are: I Never Cooked Before Cookbook by JoBeth Coudert and The Joy of Cooking. I own many cookbooks and frequently borrow them from my local library.
New User
pooh4shr
0 Kudos

Hello My name is Stephanie, Steph for short! I love cooking and food. I love all styles, anything that will let me show off some style and create some flair for the event or atmosphere I would like to create. I am a Mental Health Clinician during the week, but on the weekend I have a weekend job with a local Edible Arrangements, fruit designs and chocolate dipping fruit. It is wonderful. I am open to all cookbooks and cuisines and have rarely found one I didn't enjoy!

:smileyhappy: Steph

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

Hey, all! I'm Dreamer and I'm a highschool student planning on going into culinary arts (as well as becoming an author). I would really like to get into the field and, hopefully, own a restaurant someday. In all honesty, my favorite cookbooks are Better Homes and Gardens ('Our Best Recipes'--or something like that) and our own local church cookbooks. Recently I've been noticing the really cool cookbooks in Hastings and places like that and have been getting into looking at them. I saw one recently that was all about chocolate--my favorite! Can't wait to see another one like that! In my house I live with a really picky eater, someone who is trying to watch their weight, and someone who has a hard time resisting the desserts and things that I make (I know...it's my fault). So, while it isn't easy to be in the kitchen as much as I want to be, I'm willing to go for it anyway.
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
Jilseponie
0 Kudos

Hi!  I'm actually a foodie with very limited cooking abilities!  Luckily, my S.O. is a fantastic cook.  So I read about stuff & ask him to make it! :smileyvery-happy:

I read a bit of food writing books.  My most recent is Sweet Mandarin which was a great food related & history involving book.  One of my favorites is Heat which had me cracking up constantly but was also really informative!

My favorite cookbooks are by Alton Brown (because he explains the why, not just the how).  My S.O.'s favorite is the standard classic Betty Crocker.  It's been used so much that pages are falling out all over the place!

" 'Get to know yourself' - what good is that? What if you get to know yourself and find out you're a total harpy?" - the Warrior Babe of the Outland from 'The Stupidest Angel'
Contributor
Nay_the_Teacher
0 Kudos

Hello my name is Heather. I am a 4th grade teacher in Virginia, and I LOVE BOOKS. I like any and all kinds of books. I am on this food memoir / nonfiction kick lately and I'm enjoying these books too. My favorite book of all time is La Cucina by Lily Prior. It is such a foodie book- sensual, delicious and an all around great read!

I have never been part of a book club before, so I'm anxious to see how this all works out, and meet some foodies just like me :smileyhappy:

New User
Tager_Warren
0 Kudos

Hello my name is Tarek Wazzan I am a HUGE (stress on the Huge) fan of cookbooks. Basicly I like cookbooks written by or produce by large companies since they have a much greater array of recipes (i.e the Betty Crocker Cookbook) but I have a few favorites like The All American Dessert Book By Nancy Baggette. I believe that cooking is not just preparing food but it takes more architectural skill than building a tower. When I use a cookbook i truly feel as if I am working on a project who feels the same way ?
Contributor
Nay_the_Teacher
0 Kudos

Hi Tarek-

I agree that cookbooks make cooking feel like a project, but sometimes I find myself frustrated with the "rules" of the recipe. Sometimes I feel like there isn't any wiggle room. I guess thats just the rule breaker in me! :smileyhappy: THe thing I love about cookbooks is the photos, and getting my finished product to look just as good as the picture! There is something so satisfying about trying a new recipe and it turning out great! Whats your go-to recipe?

Correspondent
NenetRN
0 Kudos

Well lets see..... I'm an ER nurse in one of the busiest Emergency Departments in So Cali.

while that keeps me busy three days out of the week, i still enjoy cooking and that's why i'm here. I decided i needed to do more of that in 2009 and try new recipes and just get out of the old habbits and some ol dishes!

I have a hubby, a boy, and a girl, all with big appetites.... so i'm hoping this year, with maybe some help from you all.... i can broaden my culinary horizons!

* BE NICE TO EVERYONE! THEY MIGHT BE YOUR NURSE SOMEDAY *
New User
Tager_Warren
0 Kudos

A Hello To You Too Heather

Actually my go to recipe is well the one the only -( Drum roll)- brownies it's the only ting i know how to make from scratch now i make alot of things like Molten Lava cHOCOLATE cAKE THAT DIDN'T JUST ERUPT CHOCOLATE BUT IT STARTED A FIRE IN MY KITCHEN (LONG STORY BAD OVEN) and ofcourse apple pie it turns out well it's the second thing i make after brownies that doesn't cause any major damage or a call to 911 but i've just begun to cook (im 16 btw) so you know what they say you can't learn without mistakes

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Chocolate a staple in our home..can never get enough...Its fun to experiment ..brownies mmm..sounds like you are experimenting already..we have all had bad oven,cooking days in our lifetime...What is next on your list ?Quiche..is simple,it might look complicated,but you can do so much to your taste,i use froz. pie shells now...(lazy these days).My daughter makes them now,(24)  she likes to do her own thing..but does of course refer to cookbooks...have fun..VTC

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer