Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Julie & Julia: What Do You Think?

Hey there,

So I've read "Julie & Julia", I'm halfway through "My Life in France", and I've certainly splattered my share of pages in "Mastering the Art".

I haven't yet seen the movie, but the trailer alone made me emotional.

Have you seen it? What do you think?

Allison 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Julie & Julia: What Do You Think?

The movie was wonderful. I went out the next day and bought both books, but I haven't read them yet. I think I'm going to get them for my mom, too. She loves France and food -- it's a win-win!

Julie and Julia   My Life in France  

Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

I'm with you, Becke, this movie is terrific. Especially Meryl as Julia. Amy Adams was good, too, but her story is less compelling. I haven't read either book, though.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Well I have read "My life in France". An excellent foodie memoir.

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

I think the idea of making a movie that includes both books, alternating between the stories of two women, their husbands, and a search for a more meaningful way to focus on something and contribute to the world -- well that was just a very good idea, and thank you to whomever came up with it.

I am a bit sad that the audience and reviewers have been been a bit tough on Julie Powell, most notably in a very well written review of the movie by Laura Shapiro (a favorite food writer of mine) in Gourmet, a profile of Nora Ephron in the New Yorker, and another piece in Publisher's Weekly on the new popularity of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Ms. Powell, I must say, could use a bit of a break -- what could be harder than being the other woman when America is having a posthumous love affair with Ms. Child? 

And Ms. Powell's blog/book the reason we're all having the opportunity to fall in love with Ms. Child all over again?

Eager to hear what you think. 

Allison 

New User
LaLaLR
0 Kudos

I loved the movie!  I want to get the book and read it as well.....in the mean time I'm going to purchase the cookbooks and play in the kitchen....

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

This movie was wonderful.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to see it because I thought it would be kind of sappy.  My husband loves Julia Child and wanted to see it so I went.  I am so glad I did.  Meryl Streep was wonderful and I did not know how interesting Julia Child was.  She inspired me and what a great way to honor such a talented woman.

liz

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

I had a similar experience, Liz. I'd always seen Julia Child as merely  the TV chef with the annoying voice.  Now I have an inkling about her as a whole person.

On another note, I was so glad they incorporated that outrageous SNL skit about cutting herself.:smileyvery-happy:

No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

The SNL skit was good wasn't it?

liz

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
New User
Coyotepots
0 Kudos

We're planning a Julie and Julia party....everyone cooks something from one of Julia's books,have dinner, then go see the movie....Fortunately we have a second run historic theater that will have the movie soon.

Clay Coyote Pottery
Clay Pots for Cooking
http://claycoyote.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Coyotepots wrote:

We're planning a Julie and Julia party....everyone cooks something from one of Julia's books,have dinner, then go see the movie....Fortunately we have a second run historic theater that will have the movie soon.

That sounds like fun, lucky you.

New User
Scarlet007RB
0 Kudos

NO TWO PERSONS EVER READ THE SAME BOOK (EDMUND WILSON??)  An absolutely wonderful quote, never were truer words; nor more insightful thoughts put on paper, excepting Shakespeare, of course.   No two persons, because two people will see and hear differing things within the selfsame book, oh, I love how deep this quote is.  If one can get past zee knee jerk reaction, ie=well,of course we have- then you'll "get it". Sorry, don't have anything to say regarding current topic at hand, but just could Not let this wonderful quote go by w/out commenting!  Thanks for your indulgence, carry on! And Happy Landings, from Tucson, AZ