Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Julie & Julia: What Do You Think?

Hey there,

So I've read "Julie & Julia", I'm halfway through "My Life in France", and I've certainly splattered my share of pages in "Mastering the Art".

I haven't yet seen the movie, but the trailer alone made me emotional.

Have you seen it? What do you think?

Allison 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Julie & Julia: What Do You Think?

The movie was wonderful. I went out the next day and bought both books, but I haven't read them yet. I think I'm going to get them for my mom, too. She loves France and food -- it's a win-win!

Julie and Julia   My Life in France  

Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

I'm with you, Becke, this movie is terrific. Especially Meryl as Julia. Amy Adams was good, too, but her story is less compelling. I haven't read either book, though.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Well I have read "My life in France". An excellent foodie memoir.

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

I think the idea of making a movie that includes both books, alternating between the stories of two women, their husbands, and a search for a more meaningful way to focus on something and contribute to the world -- well that was just a very good idea, and thank you to whomever came up with it.

I am a bit sad that the audience and reviewers have been been a bit tough on Julie Powell, most notably in a very well written review of the movie by Laura Shapiro (a favorite food writer of mine) in Gourmet, a profile of Nora Ephron in the New Yorker, and another piece in Publisher's Weekly on the new popularity of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Ms. Powell, I must say, could use a bit of a break -- what could be harder than being the other woman when America is having a posthumous love affair with Ms. Child? 

And Ms. Powell's blog/book the reason we're all having the opportunity to fall in love with Ms. Child all over again?

Eager to hear what you think. 

Allison 

New User
LaLaLR
0 Kudos

I loved the movie!  I want to get the book and read it as well.....in the mean time I'm going to purchase the cookbooks and play in the kitchen....

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

This movie was wonderful.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to see it because I thought it would be kind of sappy.  My husband loves Julia Child and wanted to see it so I went.  I am so glad I did.  Meryl Streep was wonderful and I did not know how interesting Julia Child was.  She inspired me and what a great way to honor such a talented woman.

liz

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

I had a similar experience, Liz. I'd always seen Julia Child as merely  the TV chef with the annoying voice.  Now I have an inkling about her as a whole person.

On another note, I was so glad they incorporated that outrageous SNL skit about cutting herself.:smileyvery-happy:

No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

The SNL skit was good wasn't it?

liz

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
New User
Coyotepots
0 Kudos

We're planning a Julie and Julia party....everyone cooks something from one of Julia's books,have dinner, then go see the movie....Fortunately we have a second run historic theater that will have the movie soon.

Clay Coyote Pottery
Clay Pots for Cooking
http://claycoyote.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Coyotepots wrote:

We're planning a Julie and Julia party....everyone cooks something from one of Julia's books,have dinner, then go see the movie....Fortunately we have a second run historic theater that will have the movie soon.

That sounds like fun, lucky you.

New User
Scarlet007RB
0 Kudos

NO TWO PERSONS EVER READ THE SAME BOOK (EDMUND WILSON??)  An absolutely wonderful quote, never were truer words; nor more insightful thoughts put on paper, excepting Shakespeare, of course.   No two persons, because two people will see and hear differing things within the selfsame book, oh, I love how deep this quote is.  If one can get past zee knee jerk reaction, ie=well,of course we have- then you'll "get it". Sorry, don't have anything to say regarding current topic at hand, but just could Not let this wonderful quote go by w/out commenting!  Thanks for your indulgence, carry on! And Happy Landings, from Tucson, AZ