Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
The_Wine_Diva
0 Kudos

Practical tips to save time, money & aggravation

As a parting gift, I wanted to share some more of the secrets from my book that will help you get more pleasure from your glass and not have to pay a lot for the pleasure. It's been great to meet so many of you online, and thanks for all the questions.

•The easiest way to take the cork out of a bottle in one second flat! Cork Pop www.iwawine.com $18

•The easiest way to get out a difficult cork Put the neck of the bottle under hot water for 10 seconds which makes the glass expand temporarily so you can easily remove the cork.

•Three ways to remove red wine stains. 1. “Wine Away” Citrus-based stain remover. www.evergreenlabs.com 2. Take high acid items like lemon juice or white wine vinegar. Mix with water and dab stain.
3. Use a high acid, unoaked white wine like Sauvignon Blanc and dab stain.

•Four terms to refuse an opened bottle of wine at a restaurant or return to a wine store. Say “The wine is not sound.” Then if you want to sound like you have a lot of wine savvy follow up with one of the more explicit words below: 1. CORKED = wine smells like wet cardboard, or damp newspapers
2. COOKED = wine has no bad odor, but it tastes lifeless and the fruit tastes boiled or stewed
3. OXIDIZED = wine has seriously nutty aromas, like sherry, due to exposure to oxygen.

•Why you don’t need to buy a Champagne recorker to save an opened bottle of Champagne. Just as you can pop off the top of a carbonated soft drink and enjoy it the next day, you can put Champagne and sparkling wines in the fridge and they will keep their bubbles for up to 24 hours.

•Best wines to drink without food Most CA Chardonnay and Cabernet (with their 14-½%++ alcohol level) are not the best choices. Some lower alcohol alternatives are
WHITES -- sparkling wines, Chablis, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Blanc, Sauvignion Blanc from France called "Sancerre," Muscadet and Pinot Grigio.
REDS -- Pinot Noir, Beaujolais-Villages, Chianti, Rioja, and finally, Bourgueil and Chinon from France made from the Cabernet Franc grape.

•Why Cabernet DOES NOT go well with all red meats Cabernet is a tannic wine that can give your gums that “dried out” feeling. Cab IS wonderful with red meats that are richly-marbled like steak, chops, lamb so that the fat in the meat coats your palate and acts like a buffer against the tannins making the Cabernet seem softer and more pleasant to drink. Cab is not a good food wine for lean red meats like filet mignon, tenderloin, London broil, flank steak and ostrich that have precious little fat to coat your palate. These lean red meats taste better with less tannic reds that are more “fruity” like Shiraz, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel and Beaujolais cru. Their fruitiness makes up for the lack of richness in the fat.

•What ‘bridge’ wine to order when people are having chicken, fish and meat: 1. Cabernet Franc wines from France called Chinon (like the woman’s hair style called a chignon) and Bourgueil (my memory trigger for this wine is “boy oh boy”) 2. Barbera (think of the woman’s name, Barbara) – Italy. 3. Shiraz from Australia (just say to yourself the wine is “sheer as”), and lighter CA Syrah 4. Pinot Noir – lighter styles from California, Oregon and Burgundy (like Volnay, Santenay)
5. Merlot – Chile and Italy are generally lower alcohol than their CA cousins
6. Rioja - Spain (not Riserva)
7. Chianti (not Chianti Classico which is heavier) from Italy 8. Cotes-du-Rhone, baby brother of Chateuneuf-de-Pape, from the Rhone Valley
9. Rosso di Montalcino, baby brother of Brunello di Montalcino 10. Beaujolais-Villages from France

You'll actually be able to contact me for a few days online during the first week of April, so I'm happy to answer a more questions until then. After that, you'll have to get my book in order to get more smart secrets from The Wine Diva as I'm known.
A meal without wine is called breakfast!

The Wine Diva
Author & Wine Educator

www.thewinediva.com