Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
ProudBookWorm
0 Kudos

Rachael Ray: Amazing...or Annoying?

I do not find anything about Rachael Ray annoying, but many people do. Whole websites have been created to diss her, and many people find simple things about her annoying: an overly perky voice, etc. I think Rachael Ray is a great cook, an interesting host on her show, and I couldn't agree with her more about Dunkin' Donuts :smileyhappy: What do you think about Rachael Ray?
~Krissi~

"Do you have the time to listen to me whine"- "Basket Case" by Green Day

So...do you?
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Rachael Ray: Amazing...or Annoying?

ProudBookWorm wrote:
I do not find anything about Rachael Ray annoying, but many people do. Whole websites have been created to diss her, and many people find simple things about her annoying: an overly perky voice, etc. I think Rachael Ray is a great cook, an interesting host on her show, and I couldn't agree with her more about Dunkin' Donuts :smileyhappy: What do you think about Rachael Ray?

I think I have a [post on here somewhere about buying her books. Yes, I love her. I love watching her on T.V. and most of all I love her receipes. They are quite delightful.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

I heard an interesting story about her. Apparently, she was doing a tiny cable-access cooking show when she was discovered by someone at the Food Network. When they offered her a show, she turned them down, saying that they had the wrong girl, that she wasn't a classically trained chef, etc. But they persisted, and look where she is today. Whoever scouted her really struck gold!

And I like her show (you'll never catch me saying "yum-o" though). She's not my favorite kitchen personality on TV, but as a busy woman, I do appreciate her recipe shortcuts.
Frequent Contributor
zip_zap_zop
0 Kudos

Rachael Ray: Amazing...or Annoying?

i don't think she's annoying. actually, i find her quite likable.

she's funny, down-to-earth, and amusing. i can see how she could be annoying to some slouchy, crabby, no-fun grouch, but to me, she's a star!
"line?"
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
haha, we spent thanksgiving discussing Rachael Ray. Went back and forth----

"Look, Rachael Ray."
"what's the recipe?"
"dunno."
"Rachel Ray, ick! how can you like her? she's so annoying!"
"Her show's interesting."
"Because she can make food we can actually cook"
"I don't. She's everywhere. on every food. driving me crazy."
"Because she's hot."
"I can't believe you think that! it doesn't matter what she looks like!"
"what is wrong with you?"
"Besides she's hideous."
"No, she looks better here."
"she looks fat."
"yeah, anna'll disinherit you if you get fat."
"I didn't say that!"
"I was JUST saying that to get on your nerves"
"I don't believe you. If you think-"
"Shut up"
"fine with me too."
"Hey!"
"shut up."

(subdued silence..)

Message Edited by ABI on 12-06-2007 04:55 AM
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

Wait rachel ray is the host of the ..ummm.. 30 minute meal right? (right?)
I love that show. Not because I love her but because it’s funny. You see Rachel ray sweating because she’s in such a hurry.
Anyway,s she’s okay. I think she’s good. Haven’t watched her latest show yet though. Why? Do a lot of people find her annoying?
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
I love that show. Not because I love her but because it’s funny. You see Rachel ray sweating because she’s in such a hurry.
Anyway,s she’s okay. I think she’s good. Haven’t watched her latest show yet though. Why? Do a lot of people find her annoying?

Those that find her annoying probably can't keep up with her.
Frequent Contributor
ProudBookWorm
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

Point!
~Krissi~

"Do you have the time to listen to me whine"- "Basket Case" by Green Day

So...do you?
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

ProudBookWorm wrote:

kiakar wrote:

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

Point!

Because she moves so fast, it makes you dizzy! So maybe the fastness gets to people. Just a thought......
Frequent Contributor
jmcnaughton
0 Kudos

I think she's both - amazing and annoying. I don't watch her much anymore, she's just too visible. I can't even go to the grocery store without seeing her cute, little smiling face at the check-out. I like her recipes and she's really quite bubbly and goofy. But just the other day I was watching her and she made me soooo tired. She was talking 100 mph and I felt exhausted just watching her!
Frequent Contributor
Sami_M
0 Kudos

Re: Rachel Ray: Amazing...or Annoying?

I love Rachel Ray. I would have to agree with everything that you all said. I like that she has energy and is always running around. And her personality keeps people tuned into her show. I don't cook much (well at all really) but I still watch her show along with a few others. But over all I would say she is amazing.

-Sami
New User
Hallegirl12
0 Kudos

I absolutly Love Rachael Ray. Yes, she may be bubbly at times, but thats what makes her who she is! She is 100% real, and she is just being herself, doing what she loves to do!
-Halle :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

I love her 30 minute meals! Jo
Frequent Contributor
butterfly30
0 Kudos

I think she is a hard worker and has a lot of fun!
"Tomorrow Is A brand New Day With No Mistakes In It" Anne of Green Gables
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Rachel Ray: Amazing...or Annoying?

Sami_M wrote:
I love Rachel Ray. I would have to agree with everything that you all said. I like that she has energy and is always running around. And her personality keeps people tuned into her show. I don't cook much (well at all really) but I still watch her show along with a few others. But over all I would say she is amazing.

-Sami

Yes, she is certainly different from Martha Steward or some of the other food ladies on the tv screen. I love her bubbleness. She is so easy to get into. Her receipes are so down to earth. I have made a couple of things she has and my daughter is very faithful to her receipes. I bought her a whole set of Rachel Ray's cook books for Christmas. Rachel is a new person, they are born in TV all the time. Something different. We all like that. And from the foodies we have now, she is definitely a stand out amongst them. A very delightful person.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

I heard on the radio Rachel Ray suggests that you have a different chopping board for your chicken and a different one for your other meats.. why?
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:
I heard on the radio Rachel Ray suggests that you have a different chopping board for your chicken and a different one for your other meats.. why?

Chicken have more germs and cause sickness more than other meats. But both should be cleaned good. That is the only reason I know of.
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

It's advisable to have a separate cutting board for chickens, since raw chicken flesh and skin are known to harbor E. Coli and Salmonella. They can easily be transfered to -- and then contaminate -- other foods. I'm not at all squeamish about raw flesh (I aspire to be a butcher)....except that of a chicken.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Maria_H wrote:

mrsronaldweasley wrote:

It's advisable to have a separate cutting board for chickens, since raw chicken flesh and skin are known to harbor E. Coli and Salmonella. They can easily be transfered to -- and then contaminate -- other foods. I'm not at all squeamish about raw flesh (I aspire to be a butcher)....except that of a chicken.

Yes, I couldnt think of what it was, my mind goes and comes, I just knew it was worse germs than with other meats. ha. Thanks fo r reminding me of my nursing learning I have forgotten or my mind has quit working.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:
I heard an interesting story about her. Apparently, she was doing a tiny cable-access cooking show when she was discovered by someone at the Food Network. When they offered her a show, she turned them down, saying that they had the wrong girl, that she wasn't a classically trained chef, etc. But they persisted, and look where she is today. Whoever scouted her really struck gold!

And I like her show (you'll never catch me saying "yum-o" though). She's not my favorite kitchen personality on TV, but as a busy woman, I do appreciate her recipe shortcuts.

If you saw Chefography on Foodnetwork - you would have a new found respect for Rachel Ray!
What a hard worker at one point she was traveling all over the place and getting $50 a week. Imagine what she makes now:smileyhappy: Sandra Lee is another one She looks like some society type just doing party favor cooking but after watching her biography I was stunned. She was literally living alone when she was 16 yrs old and before that she was taking care of several little sisters due to her mother's illness. At one point she invented some drapery hardware and sold so many at a state fair she went into business and made millions. She also printed her own cookbook. There's lots more but she is truly an amazing woman and seemed to have been an amazing teenager! She also is very into charitable works. I really have a lot of respect for someone like that.

Kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx