Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bluedvls11
0 Kudos

Re: Rachael Ray: Amazing...or Annoying?

I admit, I do find her shows somewhat annoying. That said, I do like her as a person. I like when she's on other shows as a guest doing promos. I've never been able to put a finger on exactly what I find annoying about her, but I really can't watch for longer than 15 mins of her show before I have to change the channel.

But I do like her cookbooks. They're perfect for when I'm cooking only for myself. I don't need anything too impressive, I just need something new and different to try. I usually add a few more spices to everything, but otherwise they're all very simple and quick. And better for me than take-away!
New User
samm1
0 Kudos

Saw Rachel Ray in person when I went to lunch one day in a local restaurant where I live.  Quite a surprise to sit down and be told by the waitress that the Rachel Ray show was filming one of her $40/Day segments.  She and her crew just kind of swooped in, set up, did the segment and were gone.  I thought maybe she'd talk to some of us but no.  I also didn't make it on camera which was disappointing when I watched the segment!
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

I have to say I like her because she is so real. True I could do with less of the sammy, EVVO and stewp vocabulary. But this is a self-made woman who looks like she enjoys eating her own cooking -- and that is a good thing.
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

ande wrote: stewp

Really? She uses that?

It's been a few years since I've seen her show, however, I agree with everything Ande wrote.

And, if this has not yet been pointed out, Rachael's enthusiasm has also encouraged many to try their hand at cooking her famous easy meals, and thus, to discover the joy of cooking (every pun wildly intended) -- and that's a good thing, too.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
edwardshawt101
0 Kudos

Everyone knows Rachael Ray to be an amazing cook, but she is a little on the annoying side. But i guess when you watch her a lot her peppyness gets a little old. but maybe thats just me being a grouch!

xD

(i get my book quotes at http://www.famousquotes.com/search.php?cat=1&search=Book
New User
cherryxxangel89
0 Kudos

rachael is a great person im eighteen and before i watched her cook on tv i didnt know how to cook but not im learning and getting good
Frequent Contributor
thefamilymanager
0 Kudos

Rachel Ray is one of my favorites!  I could see how she could be annoying to some but I really appreciate her recipes.  Her recipes use ingredients that we have in our fridge and pantry.  Some of her sayings can get old though, i.e., Yummm - O, EVOO, etc.  Otherwise I think she's great!
LMD

- if I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with! - Dorothy - Wizard of OZ
Contributor
shesha35
0 Kudos

I just love her and I don't find her annoying at all.She is fun and silly kind of dorky at times.I allso love alot of her recipes and collect her books.
Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

I can find Rachael Ray amazing and annoying in the same episodes but that doesn't stop me from cooking her recipes.  One year I decided to give her Thanksgiving in an hour show a test.  She cooked turkey breasts, stuffin' muffins, a soup and greens.  The turkey was HEAVEN!!!!!!  She combines fresh herbs to make almost a paste and stuffs it under the turkey skin and it is delicious and moist.  I've since made this meal for the past three Thanksgivings - along with other favorites.  When presented at the table it's not the most traditional picture of a Thanksgiving meal but we also enjoy ham at the table as well so it really works. 

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

shesha35 wrote:
I just love her and I don't find her annoying at all.She is fun and silly kind of dorky at times.I allso love alot of her recipes and collect her books.

Yes, I will go along with that. She is a great person and cook!
Frequent Contributor
jamisha12
0 Kudos

She is a great cook i made salmon from watching her show and it was the bomb.
~ Jamisha R.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Personally I find her Very Annoying. Personality, silly abbreviation's that she then spends 5mins each time to them explain(when saying the whole thing in the first place would have taken 30sec), that persistent grin, stating several times in recent interviews that she's fat at SIZE 6, ect.. Woman just gets on my nerves.
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

I love Rachael Ray. She makes cooking seem easy and after watching her I invariably feel like trying her recipes. After trying a few I have to say that they are incredibly good. My husband paid me a great compliment when we first discovered her by saying that she reminded him of me. Not just the way we look but her "joie de food". How could I NOT like her after that!
Contributor
CousinMary
0 Kudos

I don't mind her, but I don't watch her show that often either.  She seems nice, but the idea of cooking an entire weeks worth of food in one day turns my stomache.  That 6th day I'd be very suspicious of that casserole I hadn't looked at since the previous Saturday...
New User
piratetoast
0 Kudos

zip_zap_zop wrote:
i don't think she's annoying. actually, i find her quite likable.

she's funny, down-to-earth, and amusing. i can see how she could be annoying to some slouchy, crabby, no-fun grouch, but to me, she's a star!

Chup. My thoughts exactly.
-Lou, Pirate, Caty
New User
reading-is-fun
0 Kudos

rachel ray is so amazing i watch her show alot i loveto write so if i had to i would and i would make a story about her her food and how she puts so much work into wat she does so if anyone has a problem with her contact me so i can have a debate with u and show u wats good botu her ok thanx for the time
Frequent Contributor
dasz
0 Kudos

Although I can't watch her 30 minute meals show (for some goofy reason I worry that she won't make it in time!), I really like Rachael Ray and admire all that she has accomplished via talent and hard work. I recently made her Berry Pancakes (her June-July 2008 magazine) and they are delicious (we didn't care for the raspberry syrup though). 
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I love to watch her show but do not own any of her cookbooks. I have bought the whole set for my daughters but haven't gotten myself any. Oh! well! She is great though.
New User
lamuhtaseb
0 Kudos

I think the problem (why there are people who find her so annoying) is the way she talks. I personally think the show is pretty good but as many others had commented, I get irritated after a little while just by some of the phrases she uses.

I think if she could cut out some of the Yum-o's etc, she would have a much broader audience.

The whole 30 minute meal thing is FANTASTIC! That is the reason I watch as well as have a couple of her cookbooks.

Spread Happiness :smileyhappy:
It is contagious
Laurie
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

I own one of her cookbooks and watch her on TV occasionally. Some of her phrases are a little over the top and can get a little "sugary", but generally she is very pleasant and can sure cook some good easy meals--just the kind I like to prepare! .  My little niece is named Rachael. I do not know if they actually named her after Rachael Ray or not though!
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney