Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
nerdychef

Re: Rachael Ray: Amazing...or Annoying?

I liked her pretty well until I couldn't turn around without seeing her everywhere. books, tv, dunkin donuts! No more!

She kind of drives me nuts now.  She's okay in small doses. :smileytongue:

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Contributor
Tigger31
0 Kudos

I have several of her cook books and I have made a bunch of her recipes in the past. I used to like her show 30 minute meals, until they changed the set. I am not a fan of the orange set. I try to watch every once in a while, I don't find her annoying, she is smart for doing what she does. I like the things that she makes most of the time, although lately she is getting a little too gourmet for me...

Tawnya

Be an angel, support the military.... Ask me how!!
www.soldiersangels.org
Correspondent
NenetRN

She's probably a little of both, or more like 70% amazing and 30% annoying.... yeah that sounds good.

i like her, hey she's a great cook! and she has always said that she's NOT a chef and does not pretend to be more than she is, she's always like, I'm just a girl who likes to cook.... and learned from her family, or grandma or mom i think.

People are just haters sometimes.

* BE NICE TO EVERYONE! THEY MIGHT BE YOUR NURSE SOMEDAY *
New User
Seattle-Girl
0 Kudos

ANNOYING. I don't find her to be helpful at all. She basically takes recipes and dumbs them down. What bothers me the most is when she says EVOO and then follows by saying Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Choose one or the other.

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

nerdychef wrote:

I liked her pretty well until I couldn't turn around without seeing her everywhere. books, tv, dunkin donuts! No more!

She kind of drives me nuts now.  She's okay in small doses. :smileytongue:

I agree small doses is best. Me and my ex used to watch her all the time when we had our first apartment, but now it seems like she's in everything! It's not that she doesn't have good recipes that are easy to make for those of us who are beginners, but entertainment has made her a fad and it'll be sad when she fades out. Has anyone seen that show she hosts where she goes to different restaurants and tourist locations and only spends like fifty dollars? That was one of my favorite shows of hers to watch. Very Thrifty!

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

I agree small doses is best. Me and my ex used to watch her all the time when we had our first apartment, but now it seems like she's in everything! It's not that she doesn't have good recipes that are easy to make for those of us who are beginners, but entertainment has made her a fad and it'll be sad when she fades out. Has anyone seen that show she hosts where she goes to different restaurants and tourist locations and only spends like fifty dollars? That was one of my favorite shows of hers to watch. Very Thrifty!

O I hate that show. Thought it was ok for awhile. Then it was completely ruined for me when she went to my hometown area. Look who goes into a restaurant where people wait 2+ hours in line EVERY FREAKING DAY IT'S OPEN for the fired chicken, and go in and order the the bean curd sandwich? The waitress behind her you could see the mental "stupid yankee" in her head.

Inspired Contributor
Marek_S

I personally like Rachael Ray.  I never get a chance to watch her shows often, but I subscribe to her magazine and I really appreciate her 30 minute recipes.  As a working mom, I live off those quick recipes that provide a nutritious meal for my family that tastes great and is something the kids will enjoy, as well.

I love to go all "Martha Stewart" for dinner parties, but who honestly has all that time to devote to cooking a meal when you're strapped for time?  I personally don't have that kind of time, and it's nice to change up the menu for my family with something new.

Yeah, she's bubbly and smiley but I think we need a little more happiness in the world!  :smileyhappy:

Marek
Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TiggerBear wrote:

O I hate that show. Thought it was ok for awhile. Then it was completely ruined for me when she went to my hometown area. Look who goes into a restaurant where people wait 2+ hours in line EVERY FREAKING DAY IT'S OPEN for the fired chicken, and go in and order the the bean curd sandwich? The waitress behind her you could see the mental "stupid yankee" in her head.

Hahahaha! good point. By the way what is bean curd sandwich? I think fried chicken sounds better. i think Marek could probably run Ms. Ray's marketing campaign. Kudos!

I knew a mom who did everything 'Martha Stewart' and almost killed herself with exhaustion. I finally had to sit her down and explain to her that Martha had assistants for a reason. :smileywink:

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Hahahaha! good point. By the way what is bean curd sandwich? I think fried chicken sounds better. i think Marek could probably run Ms. Ray's marketing campaign. Kudos!

I knew a mom who did everything 'Martha Stewart' and almost killed herself with exhaustion. I finally had to sit her down and explain to her that Martha had assistants for a reason. :smileywink:

Don't know exactly, looked like it had tofu in it.

A staff of 32, minimum every show. Heck woman has 8 gardeners for that house in the Hamptons alone.

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Definitely would've had the fried chicken.

i worked in an office full of guys and every morning I'd walk in to find them sitting around watching the Martha Stewart Show. Did find her bee farm interesting though I wonder how many people she has manning that...

Inspired Contributor
Jo6353
0 Kudos

She's annoying but her recipes are amazing!