Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Squash and Washing Up

Does anyone know why squash makes your skin dry (aside from dyeing it yellow)? I cubed two butternut squash (to make 2 pounds of cubed squash) for a roasted squash, apple and pecan salad (recipe from the Canyon Rach Cooks book) and now my hands are really, really dry.

And to add insult to injury, I now must wash all the dishes and utensils by hand, including the load that was in the dishwasher that the dishwasher didn't clean. Rotten appliances. I increasingly have the feeling that the previous owners of my condo purposely put cheap appliances in (I'm growing suspicious of the refrigerator, too).

On the bright side, my salad is very good (unfortunately not all for me; it's for a potluck at work tomorrow) :smileyhappy:
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
BookJunkie
0 Kudos

Re: Squash and Washing Up

I'm not sure why it happens, but this reminded me of an interesting connection. A friend of mine's baby had eczema (severe dry skin), and her doctor recommended removing squash, sweet potatoes, and carrots from the baby's diet. Hmmm.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Oh, I think I know why now....those veggies are high in Vitamin A (carotene) which gives them the orange/yellow color. Consuming too much Vitamin A causes dry skin, among other things, so it would make sense the baby's pediatrician reccommended removing those from her diet so it wouldn't aggravate her skin. I wonder if that might also be the reason why my hands got so dry.

BookJunkie wrote:
I'm not sure why it happens, but this reminded me of an interesting connection. A friend of mine's baby had eczema (severe dry skin), and her doctor recommended removing squash, sweet potatoes, and carrots from the baby's diet. Hmmm.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
BookJunkie
0 Kudos

Fascinating!
(Glad we cleared that up..)