Reader 2
Beverly
0 Kudos

Re: The Joy of Cooking

BookClubEditor wrote:

1. Do you own a copy of The Joy of Cooking? How long have you had it?

2. Do you have any special stories associated with this classic cookbook?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

I received the book when I got married and now it is bound by rubber bands to hold it together! I enjoy the recipes and all the info ontained is all I seem to need to cook with.
New User
gavin
0 Kudos

Personally, I want The Joy of Cooking to have lots of archaic information on kitchen activities I would never do myself but enjoy reading about, just as I enjoy reading old MFK Fisher essays. Canning? Sure. Making preserves? Absolutely! Skinning a bear? Why not?
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

gavin wrote:
Personally, I want The Joy of Cooking to have lots of archaic information on kitchen activities I would never do myself but enjoy reading about, just as I enjoy reading old MFK Fisher essays. Canning? Sure. Making preserves? Absolutely! Skinning a bear? Why not?

Gavin, I think that's an interesting take. It also acknowledges that cooks evolve! I started cooking from my mother's JOY when I was 12, making chicken cacciatore, chocolate cake, and a wilted lettuce salad that I thought was very sophisticated. I was also fascinated by the picture of the jelly roll and I think I tried that unsuccessfully. Over time, I maintain a few favorites but do go into new territory. While I'm not sure bear skinning is in my future, a bumper crop of hot peppers pushed me to get a reminder on pickling formulas and I keep hearing how I MUST try the cocktails, which I certainly wouldn't have when I was 12! So three cheers for the arcane!
New User
Carolynsss
0 Kudos

My copy of Joy of Cooking (which is 40 some years old) is pretty tattered and food stained. It is still the best basic "how-to" cook book I have. I have always loved the ABOUT sections. I will be very interested in the newest release.
Contributor
TheShirl
0 Kudos

My former mother-in-law gave me her old copy (I thin it was from 1946) of The Joy of Cooking when I got married 38 years ago. It was truly my bible as I could always find good basic recipes and especially information about different foods. I still swear by that book, however...When the 1997 edition came out, I gave my old tattered well-worn blue copy to a woman who had emigrated here from Poland and wanted to learn how to cook American. I thought that the new version would bring into the old stand-by recipes the use of some more updated techniques and microwaving etc. Big Mistake! I have found some outstanding recipes in the newer book -the Roasted Sesame Pork Tenderloin has become a favorite of ours and I've even served it for dinner parties etc. There were manhy updated recipes but I still missed some of the traditional recipes that I thought I knew so well (that I didn't need the 1946 book).

Today I bought the newest edition. I noticed that the pork tenderloin recipe is not in the book. My fvorite tomato sauce is though. Now I have to keep both books to have my recipes! With the Joy of Cooking though, one can almost give up all other recipes.
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing. I hope you enjoy the new book. The pork recipe sounds delicious! I'll have to look for it in the 1997 I guess. Maggie, another space limitation? Can you recommend an acceptable substitute in the new edition?
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Yes, it was space again, I'm sorry to report. In order to make room for the classic JOY reference materials and chapters that were missing from the 1997, some recipes had to be cut, and the Roasted Sesame Pork Tenderloin was cut. The Pan Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Herb Pan Sauce is delicious, although it does not have the same Asian flair.

I have to admit, as an editor, cutting the recipes was extremely DIFFICULT for the entire editiorial team. We agonized, but in the end, knew we couldn't cut classic reference material for this edition.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

speaking of the bear

MaggieGreen wrote:I have to admit, as an editor, cutting the recipes was extremely DIFFICULT for the entire editiorial team. We agonized, but in the end, knew we couldn't cut classic reference material for this edition.

I am reading a book called Thriteen Moons (featured here on BNG) and they rost squirrels in there.I wonder if there's any reference in Joy about that ;-)

The bear stuff must be there just for fun. I can't imagine a macho hunter (who today would still kill a bear to eat) to carry with him a Joy in order to finish the deed...and how many Mademoiselles on Manhattan plan to shoot a bear for lunch?

ziki
wideyed
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

Re: speaking of the bear

Hunting is alive and well in many parts of the the United States. Ethan has braised bear before, and said it was quite good. Squirrel and other small game animals are discussed in JOY - it's a cookbook for everyone!
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

There you go again, Maggie. What do I know after all, LOL? It's pleasure to have you here, methinks.

ziki
Author
MaggieGreen
0 Kudos

We are all very excited that JOY is #1 this hour at BN.com, and will again be #3 on the New York Times best seller list on Sunday.
Maggie Green
Editor
75th Anniversary Edition
Joy of Cooking
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Congrats, Maggie, that's very exciting. I hope this book club is helping in that effort and further hope that some of those readers log on to contribute once they get their books!
Contributor
johnbull22
0 Kudos

I have an older version of Joy and was thinking of buying my daughter the new version.Does the new version have the nutritional data included with each recipe?I've noticed that some of the new cookbooks do.It would be a great help for calorie counters & the diet conscious.
As far as game hunting-yes it is still going strong and I live in Central MA.I do not like hearing the gunshots-but the hunters are out looking for deer,pheasant,wild turkeys and the rare few that still hunt racoons at night.I prefer to watch the wildlife-not eat it.
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Thanks for your post!

There is a strong introductory chapter on nutrition but there isn't nutrition information with the individual recipes.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

healthy eating

[ Edited ]
Hi,
I am still waiting for my own 'Joy book' but I read the intro chapter here online.That I found good and informative.

Personally I think that to learn valid facts about nutrition is more helpful for people who are concerned with their body weight. Often malnourishment is a cause of great percentage of body fat. So I think you'd do your daughter a bigger service if you point her in that direction rather than indirectly encourage counting of calories and therefore becoming obsessed with less important things.

The equation is simple: to develop a taste for heathy food requires basic knowledge about what and also why some food is considered healthy.

If you eat in that manner and add some moderate physical exercise into your daily routine it is usually possible to keep the body weight steady.

Often processed food is the villain of the kitchen drama and if you know how to prepare 'normal'food and keep the nutritional value intact that is a great help.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 12-10-200601:13 PM