Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman

Time for April Holidays: Any Passover Favorites?

[ Edited ]

Hello there,

I'm getting ready for a big Passover dinner here at my small Brooklyn apartment, and I'm wondering if anyone has favorites to share (affectionate recipe descriptions, plus a book title and page number (or web address) would be appreciated!)

I'm considering a Moroccan Sephardic Passover this year, and wondering how we'll pick up all that tagine meat without the pita to go with. In my wanderings I've found some wonderful recipes from The New York Times Jewish Cookbook, Paula Wolfert's Paula Wolfert's Moroccan Cookbook Cookbook, and some of my favorites from Claudia Roden.

For dessert -- always the great Passover challenge -- I'm considering a Pavlova. Mmmm. Totally untraditional, but deliciously flour-free. I'm still in the menu-building phase, but I'd love to hear how your planning is going. Does anyone have any favorites they want to share?

The_Wooden_Spoon 

Message Edited by The_Wooden_Spoon on 04-03-2009 08:36 AM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

Re: Time for April Holidays: Any Passover Favorites?

Not yet, but I'm planning on asking my Persian neighbor for some of her recipes. The neighbor in question is one of the awesomest cooks you'll ever meet, and my family worships her leftovers.

My mom's bought a Passover cookbook this year, so things should be interesting.

My family's Ashkenazi, but we eat kitniyot (long story). So maybe w'll have Persian rice.

Reader
maryca
0 Kudos

I am not Jewish, but would be interested i new recipes to try.  Pleas post all reciepes if possible.  Mary

Mary C A.
Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Here's a favorite Persian rice recipe of mine (if you're eating rice on Passover). It's called Sour Cherry Rice.

Martha Stewart made it on her show years ago with her hair colorist. They served it to accompany Pomegranate Chicken Stew, which I think would also work very well for Passover.

TWS 

Message Edited by The_Wooden_Spoon on 04-04-2009 12:54 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Raven_Lunatic
0 Kudos

And of course, there's always matza pizza and matza brie.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

Well, the one thing my family has made for years and years, despite not being Jewish, is Challah bread. It's been a family favorite for a long time and we do a bread machine recipe so it's easy to make. We use the recipe from the bread machine manual/cook book, so I don't know whether or not you could find a better recipe somewhere else.

Anyway, it's really nice when you braid the bread and sprinkle poppy seeds or sesame seeds on it. It's really pretty and can almost be the center piece itself, when it's done. (Oh, and the best part, you can make it to go with almost any meal--not just for Passover. Love it!)

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

Hey Dreamer,

You make that challah sound delicious! Unfortunately, I'll have to give it a go after Passover of course, as this is the holiday when Jews refrain from leavened goods. But boy, your description is enticing! 

Thanks for sharing-

TWS

PS. Have you ever used the leftover to make bread pudding, or even French toast? 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

No, I haven't used it for French toast, but I have thought about using it for bread pudding. I know that sounds very good. I've only made it before with french bread. Hmm...I'm definitely going to have to try that. Thank you for mentioning it!

Hm, I didn't know that about Passover. Not that I can say I know much about Passover, not being Jewish and never having studied the holiday before, but that's interesting.

Message Edited by Dreamer4ever on 04-07-2009 10:00 PM
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

We Love Matzoh Brie..I did make make some Latkes..for my daughter and also to bring over to  some friends..Do you like your Matzoh Brie with sugar,yummyVtc
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

A question, I know it's not kosher to make leaven  bread. But does it break the rules to buy already leaven dough?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

I will call off the Kosher Police,by The Law of being Kosher,yes,but if you are not its fine,as long as its amazing bread....being jewish can be so difficult sometimes,its what is in your heart to me that matters,I break the law by eating Rao"s Pasta,the best pasta,short of making your own.Happy Holidays..Vtc....
Frequent Contributor
Allison_Fishman
0 Kudos

VTC,

I hear you on the beauty of the Brie -- I made my own this year, and forgot to soak it -- ugh, total cardboard. Then my Dad popped in for a visit and fixed it right, the brie practically souffleed. What a treat! How do you find it travels when you visited your friends? I've only had it hot off the stove with cinnamon, jam, and powdered sugar.

And actually -- because you're a Vermonter, you'll be happy to know that I picked up a jar of Dakin's blueberry jam (Vermont local) and schmeared the stuff all over my brie. It was heaven.

TWS

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

So glad your Dad rescued it..It sounds like we have the same taste in that comfort food..Traveling is tricky..If you are  not going far ,cook as your dad did .depending on how much you are making ,have a casserole (covered dish)handy then put it in as soon as it is ready sprinkle with what you like on it as you stated.and cover.Just make sure all the liquid is out of it,wrap in dish towel.and go..It can be reheated,but if you cover it well and not far to go,then ok...Or you can make it at your destination...Dakin has wonderful Jam.We have a Kitchen Store here jk.Adams dorset,vt 05251..Its like a mini Bloomingdales,all Vt products and they also carry the whole line of Fiesta..A Beautiful Store..They have visitin Chefs from all over,mostly Vt,but not always.Indian,Slow cooking is very big here,not crock pot,just slow..Go on there site and see whats up...We had the Girls thatwrote The Silver Palate Cookbook at our Bookstore,Northshire Bookstore,Manchester Center,Vt 05255,cooking up a storm and signing cookbooks...I have an original one that I gave to my Daughter..I remember when they opened up on Columbus Ave..just for takeout.We have so any talented cheesemakes,farmers,the list goes on..I am sure you would fit in perfectly...we are not a real eat out place,but the tourists do....Our restaurants are all locally owned and wonderful..We have one  The Perfect Wife,owned by Amy Chamberlain...amazing food,music..She is very anal...  I go on and on..Hope you enjoyed all the Vt Facts...Hope i helped with the Brie    Vtc
Contributor
Veggiechiliqueen
0 Kudos

One of my favorite Jewish cookbooks is Olive Trees and Honey; there are numerous vegetarian recipes from Morocco, Yemen, Georgia and Central Asia as well as Eastern and Western Europe. Every recipe is labeled Dairy or Pareve, and many recipes offer Pareve alternatives.

As far as Passover baking goes, I love Blessing of Bread (homemade matzoh recipes),  A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking and The Jewish Holiday Baker.