Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

Top Chef

I've enjoyed watching the various seasons of Top Chef and it's even gotten me interested in new ingredients and techniques.  Are there any other fans out there?
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

Re: Top Chef

What kind of techniques and ingredients did you take notice of?

Count me as a charter member of that club. The cooks are a talented bunch and I'm hoping Stephanie goes all the way this season. And I will be the first to admit, in this thread, that I miss the catty drama of the men in season two.

When I was on maternity leave I spent a lot of time at Nikki's restaurant and really enjoyed the food there. Her stuffed mushrooms and mac and cheese looked unfortunate. I hope things turn around for her soon.

the_mad_chatter wrote:
I've enjoyed watching the various seasons of Top Chef and it's even gotten me interested in new ingredients and techniques. Are there any other fans out there?

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
the_mad_chatter
0 Kudos

Re: Top Chef

[ Edited ]
Some ingredients that made me go hmm were...

chipotle-which I use in my BBQ sauce
salsas made from anything other than tomatoes
lemongrass
panko

Some techniques include..
braising-it's actually simple, who knew!
foams/essences
anything fusion

There are a bunch others and I'll write those as I remember them. 
I was disappointed with last night's show.  There weren't too many WOW! dishes.  I think the kabobs and sliders looked good but not WOW!

What are some of your favorites?  Have you attempted any dishes from the show?

I live in a rural area and so when I hit a hot spot I try to be adventurous with my selections.  I think this is the power of these cooking shows.  We hear about "new" ingredients and the shows demystify them in the comfort of our homes.

Message Edited by the_mad_chatter on 03-28-2008 05:32 PM