Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

What cookbooks do you want?

Thanksgiving is not yet upon us, and I’m already thinking about cookbooks and cooking related items for this holiday season.

I’ve been watching Jacques Pépin’s technique series which has been airing weekly on a local station. It’s a wonder to watch him chop shallots -- and the ease with which he fillets a sole and debones a chicken is pretty remarkable. I’m guessing that this is the series on DVD. But the description mentions his daughter Claudine, who I’m pretty sure wasn’t old enough to make wine recommendations when this series was filmed. This would make a great gift for someone who enjoys being in the kitchen.

From our holiday gift guide, I think I would most likely gift a copy of Cookie Craft to my baking obsessed cousin. That, along with a digital scale, a couple of silicone liners, a set of mixing bowls, and an offset spatula, should ensure the never-ending parade of treats at family gatherings.

So. What’s on your holiday wish list?

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Re: What cookbooks do you want?

I have to add this one to my collection:

1080 Recipes.

It's to Spain what The Silver Spoon is to Italy, and The Joy of Cooking is to the U.S.

Has anyone seen it? Tried any recipes from it? I can't wait to throw my first tapas party!
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I'm always thinking about cookbooks - I love to look through them, read them, and try some recipes out. On my current wish list . . .

Jamie Oliver's Jamie's Italy

Gina DePalma's Dolce Italiano

Paula Deen's Celebrates!

and so many more!! :smileyhappy:
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
New User
kc0mwl
0 Kudos

Maria_H wrote:
Thanksgiving is not yet upon us, and I’m already thinking about cookbooks and cooking related items for this holiday season.

I’ve been watching Jacques Pépin’s technique series which has been airing weekly on a local station. It’s a wonder to watch him chop shallots -- and the ease with which he fillets a sole and debones a chicken is pretty remarkable. I’m guessing that this is the series on DVD. But the description mentions his daughter Claudine, who I’m pretty sure wasn’t old enough to make wine recommendations when this series was filmed. This would make a great gift for someone who enjoys being in the kitchen.

From our holiday gift guide, I think I would most likely gift a copy of Cookie Craft to my baking obsessed cousin. That, along with a digital scale, a couple of silicone liners, a set of mixing bowls, and an offset spatula, should ensure the never-ending parade of treats at family gatherings.

So. What’s on your holiday wish list?

I want more home-cooking, Chinese food books. There's one by Grace Young that I want. I also want Claudia Roden's book on Italian food, but it's out of print. I want Daniel Leader's new bread book, and I want Thomas Keller's Bouchon (because I already have the French Laundry book, and it's beautiful. Oh, and I want both of the new Martha Stewart Living cookbooks. Quite a few, it turns out!
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

kc0mwl wrote:
I want more home-cooking, Chinese food books. There's one by Grace Young that I want. I also want Claudia Roden's book on Italian food, but it's out of print. I want Daniel Leader's new bread book, and I want Thomas Keller's Bouchon (because I already have the French Laundry book, and it's beautiful. Oh, and I want both of the new Martha Stewart Living cookbooks. Quite a few, it turns out!

I'm a fan of this book from Grace Young. Although the title is a little too "ancient Chinese secret" for my taste, the recipes are wonderful and really reflects what Cantonese home cooking is about. It's a great treasury of recipes and anecdotes from someone who actually grew up with these foods on her table.

I'd love to know what Chinese home cooking books you have and would recommend.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I bought my daughter Rachel Ray's two newest cookbooks last year so this year I am getting me the same ones. I love the simple ways of making a cassorale or a meal.
New User
nancym
0 Kudos

I really like books that deal with ethnic cooking. My spouse was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I'm now buying a number of cooking for diabetes books. I'd really would like a book that lists foods and their calorie and carb count. I'm also buying books that deal with quick and easy cooking.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

nancym wrote:
I really like books that deal with ethnic cooking. My spouse was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I'm now buying a number of cooking for diabetes books. I'd really would like a book that lists foods and their calorie and carb count. I'm also buying books that deal with quick and easy cooking.

I know we have had a on going chat about Rachel Raye on here but she does have the best receipes for quick, easy and great meals. And alot of them are healthy.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Has anyone bought/cooked with the new and much-touted Roast Chicken and Other Stories? I'm thinking of buying it for my sister.
Contributor
paris221966
0 Kudos

Any cookbook by Mario Batali
Contributor
Merryworld
0 Kudos

ande wrote:
Has anyone bought/cooked with the new and much-touted Roast Chicken and Other Stories? I'm thinking of buying it for my sister.

Ande, did you buy it? I saw the roast chicken recipe on the internet and tried it. It was good but did not come out as advertised. The butter burnt in the bottom of the pan instead of browning. I prefer the Cooks Illustrated recipe.

Has anyone tried any of the other recipes?
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

I bought two copies and within minutes turned around and exchanged them for others. In the end, Roast Chicken didn't seem like a good match for the enthusiastic, amusing and creative cooks in my family.
Ande