Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Nay_the_Teacher
0 Kudos

What's your favorite Food Memoir?

I recently finished the books The Story of Sushi and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I loved both of these so now I'm on this nonfiction food memoir kick. I just bought The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry and Immovable Feast. I am anxiously awaiting their arrival. So my question to you, fellow bibliophiles, is what is your favorite Food Memoir and why.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Re: What's your favorite Food Memoir?

I haven't read a whole lot of them, and it's only partially a food memoir, but I was rather fond of A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle.  It's a bit cheesy but the descriptions of the food and wine in that book were wonderful.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
New User
anna_g
0 Kudos

I *loved* the ''Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry.'' I just read that it is going to be made into a movie.

I also like Ruth Reichl's ''Tender to the Bone.'' I just got a copy of "Mediterranean Summer" as an early Christmas present, and so far it's great.

Frequent Contributor
Jilseponie
0 Kudos

Just finished The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry.  It was fantastic!  I wrote a review on it. 

I think my favorite would be Heat by Mark Buford.  The guy is a menace in the kitchen, but he dives in, works briefly in a Mario Batali restaurant, and travel to Italy to get a good grasp of real Italian food.  It's funny and informative.

" 'Get to know yourself' - what good is that? What if you get to know yourself and find out you're a total harpy?" - the Warrior Babe of the Outland from 'The Stupidest Angel'
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu2
0 Kudos

I recently read Paula Deen's memoir and really liked it.  She intersperses recipes throughout and they were wonderful.

Another good book involving food but not exactly a memoir is Nora Ephron's Heartburn.  Love that book!  The movie was good too.

Her recent book about getting older, I don't Like my Neck, was really good too.  In it she describes her quest for the perfect cabbage strudel.  This set me off on my own quest which finally ended on 2nd Ave, at the very bakery where Nora gets hers.  It was ok.  Nothing could have measured up to her description.  I also made my own, again, ok.   

Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu2
0 Kudos

Now I'm reading Julia Child's My Life in France.  What a lovely life!  Young, in love and in Paris, she describes every street, every person she meets and most of all every meal she ate.

Vicarious enjoyment on a cold winter day!

New User
Maureen12
0 Kudos

A friend just passed me Cooking & Screaming by Adrienne Kane and I finished it in one sitting! The author suffered an AVM two weeks before she was to graduate from college, and the book follows her recovery-- through cooking. Each chapter begins with a recipe- chapter one starts with the tagliatelle w/ zucchini, which she made as a college senior (so good! I made it last night!) and chapter twelve opens with the roast duck w/ apples and sausage recipe that she made for a dinner party where she cooked all Julia Child food. This author's story is an inspiration, and was thoroughly enjoyable. Plus, the recipes were incredible- the perfect mix for a food memoir!
New User
BetsyInA2
0 Kudos

I've loved all of Ruth Reichl's memoirs, but was particularly taken with Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise.  In addition to some wonderful food writing, there is a strong theme about personal identity.  In this installment of her memoirs, Reichl becomes the NYT food critic.  When she learns that her picture has been posted in the kitchens of every New York restaurant, she takes measures to disguise herself.  To her surprise, she finds that with every new disguise comes a different persona, and that people treat her very differently depending on how she presents herself.  Loved every page of this book.
New User
CulinaryScene

I recommend a great new book I'm trying to turn people onto.  It's called "Baked-Off!: Memoirs of a Pillsbury Bake-Off Junkie" by Steve Grieger.  There's also "The Ungarnished Truth" by Ellie Mathews, also about the bake-off.  Both are fun to compare.  I also recommend "Julie and Julia."  Can't wait to see the movie with Meryl Streep as Julia Child!
New User
biblio_addict

The Fortune Cookie Chronicles by Jennifer 8. Lee is a fun read.  The Sharper Your Knife is my favorite culinary memoir to date, though.