Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

brownies ?

What's the secret with brownies.....do you use chocolate, or cacao or both mixed? And what is best? What is the difference? Should they be chewy, kinda compact or fluffy (even if not exactly like a sponge cake).

ziki
Contributor
kioman
0 Kudos

Re: brownies ?

There's no solid secret to good brownies. The fact is that there are so many different preferences, that no single recipe that can be called out as "the best". I personally like a chewy but slightly spongy brownie, with that wrinkly top.
So, depending on what you want, find a chef that you trust, like Paula Dean. (The lady and Sons Just Desserts) and modify to your liking. Like them a little chewy and thin? Use a bigger pan. Like them a little cakey? Smaller Pan. Really cake like? Small pan with an extra egg.
That's all I know about the subject.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot kioman for your answer. What you say makes sense.
I just got an adjustable frame (square) that you place on a baking tray and that will make it easier to adjust the size.

I guess this project will amount to a number of experiments :smileyvery-happy:

ziki
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I have absolutely no idea. I can't really cook, but my dad has a recipe that makes the best bars ever. Well they aren't brownies but hey they are close. I am not sure if he got it from is mother or a co-worker. Either way they are the best you will ever eat. As for me, I like my brownies chewy and soft but not too soft.

Message Edited by historybuff234 on 05-22-200703:12 PM

The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
jamisha12
0 Kudos

tea and chocolate brownies are good like haviign a drink of tea then eating some brownies yummy i love any chocolate its cool this is my chocolate words in china when i eat chocolate. aymumumu jsldsh kljk oou mqin ujujn jukk hko pop n iksui jduyk which means i love chocolate i love i love i love it i do i do i do i think its delicious its true its true.
~ Jamisha R.
Contributor
Veggiechiliqueen
0 Kudos

The texture is totally up to you...I prefer fudgy brownies rather than cake-like. The best hands-down brownie recipe I've tried is the Baked Brownie from Baked, but I've also made interesting variations from Brown Sugar, Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook (excellent peppermint brownies), and Winthrop Beach Brownies from Heirloom Baking with the Brass Sisters.

Contributor
OrigCyn
0 Kudos

There is no such thing as a "bad" brownie (unless, of course, you are on a diet). I love all kinds of brownies.  And, if you have never eaten a "Knock You Naked Brownie" with caramel and chocolate chips...you should!  If you want the recipe, I'd be happy to share it.  The original recipe came from the Salt Creek Restaraunt in Breckenridge, Colorado.

Cyn

Reader
Beverooni
0 Kudos

I totally agree with you and would love the recipe.

Contributor
OrigCyn

Knock You Nakeds Brownies from Salt Creek Restaurant, Breckenridge, CO.

1 pkg.(18 1/2 oz) German Chocolate Cake mix (any brand)
1 c. chopped nuts
1/3 c. plus 1/2 c. evaporated milk, divided
1/2 c. melted butter
60 vanilla caramels, unwrapped (one 14-oz. pkg.)
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix, nuts, 1/3 cup evaporated milk and
melted butter. Press half of the batter into the bottom of a greased 13x9x2"
glass baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350F oven for eight minutes.

In the microwave or top of a double boiler melt caramels with remaining 1/2 c.
evaporated milk. When caramel mixture is well mixed, pour over baked layer.
Cover with chocolate chips. Pour remaining batter on top of morsels. Return to
oven and bake 18 minutes (or less for gooier brownies). Let cool before cutting.

The restaurant serves them with vanilla ice cream...A chocolate lover's dream.

Makes 16-20 bars.