Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
cooking42
0 Kudos

slow cooker (let's try again)

I'm new to posting but heard that Chef Jon was moderating so I figure this has to be a good book club. I started doing more slow cooker cooking and came across Busy Mom's Slow Cooker Cookbook and have tried the potato soup and corn chowder and found them to be very good. The author Jyl Stein (I think) uses lower fat ingredients and that fits in with my weight watcher thinking. I also found a great brisket recipe online which uses chili sauce and it came out very good in the slow cooker.
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Re: slow cooker (let's try again)

Thanks for joining us! I have to confess I'm not a slow cooker cook but I have one in the box and I'm ready to break it out! Any advice? Anyone have good recipes to share?
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

My aunt has this Italian chicken/Italian pork recipe that is seriously a no-brainer but tastes really great. She puts either a pork roast or some chicken breasts (defrosted) into the crock pot and pours two packets of Italian seasoning over the top. She adds a couple tablespoons of water so the meat doesn't dry out and lets the whole thing cook during the day. An easy dinner!

My mom makes Barbeque Chicken in the crock pot from a recipe in her old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (I think it's BHG - it could be Betty Crocker :smileysurprised:). Put the chicken breasts and prepared sauce in the crock pot and let it cook all day (notice a theme?). Save the sauce to pour over rice and serve with the chicken. This is my brothers' favorite supper dish and Mom always makes it for thier birthdays. (I like it, too, but my crock pot is white and the sauce can stain the crock very easily so I make it less frequently).

ChefJon wrote:
Thanks for joining us! I have to confess I'm not a slow cooker cook but I have one in the box and I'm ready to break it out! Any advice? Anyone have good recipes to share?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
ChefJon
0 Kudos

Thanks, Melissa, I'll try it!