Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Community room and extras

[ Edited ]
Well, let's say Ford is not my type, heheh
ziki

FMF

blurb:

Ford Madox Ford’s The Good Soldier was written for people who are voluntarily imprisoned in the world of appearances, and willingly maintain this semblance of illusion.
The novel was written for those, who deny themselves the pleasure of love; those who refuse to express their true and honest emotions towards the other; and who are terrified of breaking this illusion, because they strongly believe that this is the only way to maintain their own existence and that of society. They are satisfied with their self-deception, with the denial of their true emotions and natural attractions. They are afraid of the destructive force of fulfillment. And though they realize that their existence is based on lies and illusion, still they are afraid of losing the one person of their desires, whom they have finally allowed themselves to accept and acknowledge.
------------------

What is "destructive force of fulfillment"?

Message Edited by ziki on 02-07-200706:57 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

ford Madox Brown-pics

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

about FMF/wikipedia link

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Community room and extras

No wonder I'm not finding myself in empathy with the book. If that review is anywhere near correct, I'm scared to think of the kind of people who might like it! :smileyhappy:

ziki wrote:
ziki

FMF

blurb:

Ford Madox Ford’s The Good Soldier was written for people who are voluntarily imprisoned in the world of appearances, and willingly maintain this semblance of illusion.
The novel was written for those, who deny themselves the pleasure of love; those who refuse to express their true and honest emotions towards the other; and who are terrified of breaking this illusion, because they strongly believe that this is the only way to maintain their own existence and that of society. They are satisfied with their self-deception, with the denial of their true emotions and natural attractions. They are afraid of the destructive force of fulfillment. And though they realize that their existence is based on lies and illusion, still they are afraid of losing the one person of their desires, whom they have finally allowed themselves to accept and acknowledge.
------------------

0 Kudos

Re: about FMF/wikipedia link

ziki wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Madox_Ford

A phrenologist would have a field day with that portrait.
0 Kudos

Oh it fits me to a tee except that I don't have a 'person of my desire' at the moment:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Whatever was Ilana thinking of in getting us to read it, if it is all these things? LOL. Naughty, naughty Ilana:smileyhappy:

ziki wrote:
ziki

FMF

blurb:

------------------

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Illusion

Very funny, Choisya! Ziki, I couldn't find your quote in the link you posted. Was it from another source?

Choisya wrote:
Oh it fits me to a tee except that I don't have a 'person of my desire' at the moment:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

ziki wrote:
ziki

FMF

blurb:

...though they realize that their existence is based on lies and illusion, still they are afraid of losing the one person of their desires, whom they have finally allowed themselves to accept and acknowledge.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Whatever was Ilana thinking of in getting us to read it, if it is all these things? LOL. Naughty, naughty Ilana

yeah. But we can also read books we don't love in order to understand how the other side thinks. an exercise in psychology. and literary history.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Contributor
Areopagitica
0 Kudos

In order to understand what the "destructive force of fulfillment" might refer to, I guess we can begin by analyzing both Florence and Edward. They followed their passions regardless of future consequences, only to end up committing suicide later on in their own solitude. However, by embracing their passions and refusing to deny their emotions, didn't they live more fulfilling lives as opposed to Dowell and Leonara? Or were they perhaps more oppressed by their feelings due to the fact that they had to abide by the norms of society?
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Perhaps you should not discuss the entire plot in the community room where those of us who have not read the entire book yet might have it spoiled for us.

Denise
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Illusion

pmath wrote:
Very funny, Choisya! Ziki, I couldn't find your quote in the link you posted. Was it from another source?

Hi pmath, yes it was.....but I lost the link so I can't provide a better reference but it was from an arcticle that presented some translation of the book into what I thought was a little unusual language...like Hungrian or something like that.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

ROFL....but then you must also be the most French Brit we know in the necks of the woods.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote: But we can also read books we don't love in order to understand how the other side thinks. an exercise in psychology. and literary history.

That sums up just about all classics I ever heard off....LOL ....(just kidding).
ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

destructive force of fulfillment-spoiler

[ Edited ]

Areopagitica wrote:
In order to understand what the "destructive force of fulfillment" might refer to, I guess we can begin by analyzing both Florence and Edward. They followed their passions regardless of future consequences, only to end up committing suicide later on in their own solitude. However, by embracing their passions and refusing to deny their emotions, didn't they live more fulfilling lives as opposed to Dowell and Leonara? Or were they perhaps more oppressed by their feelings due to the fact that they had to abide by the norms of society?

yes thank you for your thoughtfull answer, I will ponder it once I am through the book... I just thought it sounded like an oxymoron.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 02-08-200708:28 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

donyskiw wrote:
Perhaps you should not discuss the entire plot in the community room where those of us who have not read the entire book yet might have it spoiled for us.

Denise

well yeah, I was still happily thinking Edward will die of heart attack....
ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Forgács Szuszá on A JÓ KATONA

Here it is:

http://www.readme.cc/main.php/en/books_10000/books_10200/book.php?bid=901

Did the reviewer write all of it, or is some of it a quote from a Penguin edition of A Good Soldier?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/BookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780140283310

ziki wrote:
Hi pmath, yes it was.....but I lost the link so I can't provide a better reference but it was from an arcticle that presented some translation of the book into what I thought was a little unusual language...like Hungrian or something like that.

pmath wrote:
Ziki, I couldn't find your quote in the link you posted. Was it from another source?
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Forgács Szuszá on A JÓ KATONA

[ Edited ]
pmath you googling wizzard... I thought that you'd find it if I told you the fragments...
jo Katona...whatever :-) At least it is clear that I didn't fake the info.

i didn't check with BN and I am readign Oxford edition which I can't make my mind about.

How do you like the book? Would you have an affair with Good Soldier? I wouldn't!

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 02-08-200709:20 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

That full review, with the quote in context, is very amusing, very tongue in cheek.

pmath wrote:
Here it is:

http://www.readme.cc/main.php/en/books_10000/books_10200/book.php?bid=901

Did the reviewer write all of it, or is some of it a quote from a Penguin edition of A Good Soldier?

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/BookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780140283310

ziki wrote:

pmath wrote:
Ziki, I couldn't find your quote in the link you posted. Was it from another source?

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I wouldn't have an affair with anyone described as 'good':smileyvery-happy:

ziki wrote:
pmath you googling wizzard... I thought that you'd find it if I told you the fragments...
jo Katona...whatever :-) At least it is clear that I didn't fake the info.

i didn't check with BN and I am readign Oxford edition which I can't make my mind about.

How do you like the book? Would you have an affair with Good Soldier? I wouldn't!

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 02-08-200709:20 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I have a French name and had a French humanist-godmother - does that count?:smileyhappy:

ziki wrote:

Choisya wrote:

ROFL....but then you must also be the most French Brit we know in the necks of the woods.

Users Online
Currently online:22 members 502 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: