Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Like the Book?

jd wrote:I hope you do not really give up just yet. This story may not be as appealing as some of the others in this period, but you will not know that until you have given other authors a try. It is just too soon to quit, jd :smileyhappy:

I feel that ,too, it slowly grows on me, nothing I can push.
ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Like the Book?

[ Edited ]
Fair enough Laura...we recently said something to that point on another board...why read something you do not like...too many books too little time. Enjoy.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 03-02-200703:35 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Dowell and Florence

Dowell is not only blind to Edward's faults, he is blind to his own. And in the end did he fail to act morally in permitting Edward to commit suicide?
-----------
In a way Edward was dead, he just finished the body....I just wonder if I said something very stupid...but in some respect he feels so to me. If Nancy was the ultimate woman why didn't he divorce L and started over? Why wasn't that an option? Because of the history or because of who he was (=became) at that moment in his life?

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

investigation

Moderator Ilana Simons leads our investigation of The Good Soldier throughout the month of February.
---------------
It's well put...because investigation it is. Putting fragments together (not unlike Sherlock Holms).

ziki
Frequent Contributor
ROSIE
0 Kudos

ziki wrote:
Dowell is not only blind to Edward's faults, he is blind to his own. And in the end did he fail to act morally in permitting Edward to commit suicide?
-----------
In a way Edward was dead, he just finished the body....I just wonder if I said something very stupid...but in some respect he feels so to me. If Nancy was the ultimate woman why didn't he divorce L and started over? Why wasn't that an option? Because of the history or because of who he was (=became) at that moment in his life?

ziki

I was thinking a bit more of this today. Perhaps "the girl" was the epitome of the posession by the devil. Why did Dowell call her evil?

Also, what about the manipulation (it seems by both E and L) of the telegram from her father calling her to INdia? I don't quite understand that in terms of who initiated the event.

What of her telegram? Was it reflective of reality, some distortion of reality, or some manipulation by Nancy? We really do not have any detail of Nancy's journey; I would be curious as to what transpired on the first leg of the journey.
Frequent Contributor
ROSIE
0 Kudos

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: investigation

ziki wrote:
Moderator Ilana Simons leads our investigation of The Good Soldier throughout the month of February.
---------------
It's well put...because investigation it is. Putting fragments together (not unlike Sherlock Holms).

ziki

JD, ROSIE, and you are to be commended for great month-ending discoveries.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
ROSIE
0 Kudos

HI

THANKS.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

but...it's true. Nice posts, Rosie. I hope you also join us in Dostoevsky's short fiction, starting next week.

ROSIE wrote:
HI

THANKS.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

ROSIE wrote: I was thinking a bit more of this today. Perhaps "the girl" was the epitome of the posession by the devil. Why did Dowell call her evil?

Also, what about the manipulation (it seems by both E and L) of the telegram from her father calling her to INdia? I don't quite understand that in terms of who initiated the event.

What of her telegram? Was it reflective of reality, some distortion of reality, or some manipulation by Nancy? We really do not have any detail of Nancy's journey; I would be curious as to what transpired on the first leg of the journey.

And in the first place why did they call him to England...and why did he so readily accept the invitation? Only because of his hopes to marry Nancy? Aguy inhis best years with money in the pocket; heheh. I didn't yet think about all that you mention. You bring up interesting questions. Thank you. Within the frame of this book I feel like Shelock Holmes, or a therapist, LOL.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Speaking for myself, I'm just trying to understand what Ford and the world was all about, LOL.
I don't think I did get a solid grip on it, yet.:-)

ziki
and Holms lost an 'e'

Message Edited by ziki on 03-04-200709:13 AM

Users Online
Currently online: 20 members 434 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: